PS4 - Destiny

Night In The Woods Coming to PS4

Scott Benson's Avatar + Posted by Scott Benson on Jun 04, 2014 // Animator, Night in the Woods

We’re super happy to announce that Night In The Woods is coming out on PS4! You’ll be able to play our little game in the comfort of your living room, den, or Dedicated PlayStation Room.

Night In The Woods is an adventure/exploration game with a heavy focus on story, character, and place. You’ll be doing some running and jumping around, a lot of extracurricular activities, some bass playing, some smashing of things, and a lot of hanging out with your townie friends.

Night In The Woods takes place in the crumbling town of Possum Springs, a dead-end backwater that is barely holding on after the mining jobs left. Mae the cat is a college dropout who has returned home to reclaim her teenage life with her friends who stayed in town. Bea stayed home from college to take over the family business after a death sent her family into a tailspin. Gregg and Angus are highschool sweethearts, working hard to get out of Possum Springs. Germ is a weird kid that hangs around. No one knows what his deal is.

What Mae finds, however, is that life and her friends moved on while she was away. Strange things are happening to her and to the town. Things are changing. And there’s something in the woods up behind the park that might mean an end to all of it.

Night in the Woods on PS4

Night in the Woods on PS4Night in the Woods on PS4

Night In The Woods is a story about letting go and holding on. We wanted to create something that got into some ideas that were kicking around in our heads, themes that hopefully resonate with a lot of people. We wanted to create characters people could identify with and the kind of town a lot of people are from, but with more talking animal people. Most towns don’t have more than a few talking animal people probably. If yours does, please get in touch.

Alec probably summed it up best: Night In The Woods is a game about the inevitability of death… and pizza parties.

We’re really excited. Are you excited? You should be excited. This is going to be rad and we’re so glad to be able to share our little game with you. We’ll have more info as time goes on, but for now we’ll be happy to chatter with you in the comments section.

PAGE 1 2

+ paulogy on June 4th, 2014 at 7:36 am said:

From the art style looks like it would be a good game for Halloween. Do you plan to release this fall?

Scott Benson's Avatar

+ Scott Benson on June 4th, 2014 at 6:12 pm said:

It is a very autumnal game for sure, and the time of the year is a big part of the story. We’d ideally like to release it in the fall so we’ll see!

Scott Benson's Avatar

+ Scott Benson on June 8th, 2014 at 10:23 pm said:

clarification: we’d like to release in the fall in general- we won’t be releasing this fall specifically.

+ Gorvi on June 4th, 2014 at 7:36 am said:

Love the art style. So is it more of a 2D adventure game? Will there be branching decisions to make? I’d love to hear more about the way the gameplay is structured.

Scott Benson's Avatar

+ Scott Benson on June 4th, 2014 at 6:24 pm said:

It’s a 2D adventure game with some platforming exploration, since Mae can run all over the rooftops and powerlines. There will be decisions, though none of them will be “save the town”/”blow up the town” stuff, and there will be some branching bits.

We’re not saying a lot about what all we’re doing with gameplay and the overall structure of the game yet, but assume you’ll be running, jumping, finding things, hanging out and doing different activities with your friends and the townsfolk, and exploring different areas.

That’s about as specific as we’ll get at the moment. Thanks!

+ Torgo823 on June 4th, 2014 at 7:38 am said:

Looks cool. Can’t wait to see more!

+ CycoCross on June 4th, 2014 at 7:38 am said:

You had me at pizza parties.

+ oo7PorscheMGS on June 4th, 2014 at 7:42 am said:

Interesting characters / design heh, but the story is what matters most to me – hope it turns out good and I’ll be keepin my eye on it. Don’t want no talkin cats surprisin me!

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on June 4th, 2014 at 7:42 am said:

Wow, really cool art style! Looking forward to learning more about it, and hopefully we’ll see a release date soon! Thanks for sharing with us!

+ infinite_pest on June 4th, 2014 at 7:42 am said:

omg aaaah

scott

ilu

Scott Benson's Avatar

+ Scott Benson on June 4th, 2014 at 6:48 pm said:

omg aaaah

u

ilu2

+ oo7PorscheMGS on June 4th, 2014 at 7:48 am said:

Ok what I should have said is this game is “cute!” lol, I admit it…even though it might be too cute / kiddie for me..I’ll play it with my nephews and use that as my excuse…lol. And it IS nice to see different kinds of games being made (not only story wise) but even if this game turns out to have a more serious tone I still like that we’re getting some cartoony looking games that CAN have a serious story without having to have such a boring color palette, etc……… so bored of shooters lately that rinse and repeat the same stories with no comedy, no charm, no real character. So that’s why we need more games like this!

I agree that a release around October / Halloween / the holidays would be perfect..but I wouldn’t complain if it’s out in the summer! Any projected release date?

+ NickatNite19 on June 4th, 2014 at 8:07 am said:

Hell Yeah I’m excited.

+ Jaded_Dragon on June 4th, 2014 at 8:09 am said:

Looks excellent.

It’s nice that there’s a place on consoles now for these types of games. They’re a nice change of pace from the brown-grey-manly-man-balls-to-the-walls-action games that we get in AAA titles. Sometimes it’s nice to just chill out and play a game like this, or Transistor, or Doki Doki. Artistic design in this game looks pretty great.

Scott Benson's Avatar

+ Scott Benson on June 4th, 2014 at 6:58 pm said:

We like to think of Night In The Woods as quadruple-A, or even quintuple.

+ jcthomas00 on June 4th, 2014 at 8:13 am said:

I was gonna say ‘not another indie…’ but this game looks adorable and has a real story line so I’m looking forward to hearing more.

+ SeanStrange on June 4th, 2014 at 8:18 am said:

The art style is the key focal point for me. Man is it beautiful! Really excited to try out this game down the road.

+ tokyopunchout on June 4th, 2014 at 8:22 am said:

Finally something to get genuinely hyped for. This game looks amazing!

This is the best trailer since Casshern! (2004 movie) Wait, wrong genre… umm.. since Garden State (because of liberal use of the Frou Frou “Let Go” jam).

+ Elway358 on June 4th, 2014 at 8:42 am said:

And the poo-poo choo-choo keeps on chugging along on the PS4. Reminds me of some of the free android crap my gf plays on her tablet if we’re being honest. Yaayyy!….not. :/

+ iREVOLTER on June 4th, 2014 at 8:42 am said:

A cat?

Scott Benson's Avatar

+ Scott Benson on June 4th, 2014 at 6:26 pm said:

A cat!

+ GordTremeshko on June 4th, 2014 at 9:06 am said:

I’m super excited! I’m glad to see the dev was able to bring this to another platform. And as someone who Kickstarted this game, I’m especially glad they’re allowing us to choose the PS4 as our launch version!

+ saab01 on June 4th, 2014 at 9:15 am said:

Looks cool hopefully a demo will be planned

+ Neil on June 4th, 2014 at 9:49 am said:

Wow, this looks amazing! Really looking forward to this. You guys should add your Twitter/FB/site here so new fans can follow you.

Scott Benson's Avatar

+ Scott Benson on June 4th, 2014 at 6:44 pm said:

You can follow us on twitter at @NightInTheWoods, on tumblr at nightinthewoodsgame.tumblr.com and our website is NightInTheWoods.com.

We couldn’t believe that twitter handle and URL weren’t taken.

+ broncosfan2117 on June 4th, 2014 at 10:05 am said:

They should make this game for the vita also it great game for it

+ Josleaze on June 4th, 2014 at 10:05 am said:

Any chance of a Vita release?

+ xClayMeow on June 4th, 2014 at 10:07 am said:

Obligatory, “it’s a 2D platformer, why isn’t it coming to Vita?!” post!

+ boxmyth on June 4th, 2014 at 10:44 am said:

I backed this on Kickstarter because it looks fantastic, but I’d plunk down the monies again to get it on my PS4.

+ stalepie on June 4th, 2014 at 10:46 am said:

If it was on PS Now it could be on all three PS systems + others.
Looks like a nice game with some gorgeous use of color. Great to see so many imaginative games coming to this system.

+ EvyatarAtarEvyat on June 4th, 2014 at 11:16 am said:

This has Vita written all over it (;

+ ABRipperXX on June 4th, 2014 at 11:24 am said:

Wow, now that looks super cool and unique! Good Job on the art style! I love it! I do agree Vita written all over it.

+ Rammel29 on June 4th, 2014 at 11:34 am said:

This looks cool, love the music. Looks like it has a really interesting story. Will be looking forward to this hopefully a Vita release is planned.

+ Tayls129 on June 4th, 2014 at 12:00 pm said:

Holy crap. This looks like an epic, beautiful, growing up story performed by Richard Scary-esque characters. I really, really love this. Developers of this game, feel free to contact/give me things!

+ Nazotchi on June 4th, 2014 at 12:19 pm said:

I hesitated backing the kickstarter because my computer is terrible, so I’m ecstatic that this is coming to a console I own.
It’s my most anticipated game for the near future.

+ WolfyHopeless on June 4th, 2014 at 12:30 pm said:

I’ve been very excited for this game since it’s kickstarter… err… started. Also, huge fan of Scott Benson’s work.

As for those worrying about if it’s kiddie-esque… it’s not.

+ shadow_fire on June 4th, 2014 at 12:37 pm said:

The animations in this game look really lively and detail oriented, and (presuming it’s just a side-scroller) I’m a fan of the genre. I’m gonna keep my eye on this.

+ Husteen on June 4th, 2014 at 1:01 pm said:

omg, you play as a kitty? i love it already, and the art style just looks so neat. i’m gonna go ahead and say this is a purchase for me.

+ plaztiksyke on June 4th, 2014 at 1:02 pm said:

I really like the art style, but will it support sterescopic 3D?

is the game 1080p native? the video on youtube is 720p.

are there any GLBT characters? playable ones?

music sounds great, I hope it’s 24-bit/lossless assets when the game ships.

any use of the DS4’s internal speaker or touchpad? VIta as cross-controller?

Scott Benson's Avatar

+ Scott Benson on June 4th, 2014 at 6:34 pm said:

To answer your questions:

Thanks! No, not at the moment.
    Mae is the only playable character (it is her story, after all) but her best friend Gregg and his boyfriend Angus are two very central characters.
    Thanks! We’ll go with the highest quality we can!
    We’re early enough on that we don’t have specific answers about utilizing unique PS4 control stuff, but rest assured we’ll find a way to do it. Kind of too cool not to.

+ HOSS74 on June 4th, 2014 at 1:29 pm said:

This game REALLY looks like something special… Another must buy. The art style and adult themes are a great contrast to one another. Can’t wait to hear more about the gameplay.

+ Surfaced on June 4th, 2014 at 1:34 pm said:

Absolutely gorgeous game!!

+ flashfire27 on June 4th, 2014 at 1:54 pm said:

So excited! I’ve been following your progress since you first posed the kickstarted and I’m glad to see how far this game is getting! Can’t wait to play!

+ tusunami on June 4th, 2014 at 2:13 pm said:

Now I just watched the trailer and this is quite interesting which will be another purchase for me real soon.

+ Brandonlee2131 on June 4th, 2014 at 2:48 pm said:

You indie companies are loving the fact sony and the big game developers have fallen short with having a decent lineup of AAA games ready. You guys have just made it to where they can take as much time as they want cause the majority of gamers will just take it up the #%? And not say anything. Its the guys who have computers and are all tweaked out on adderall that find indie games fun and want to play. Dont get me wrong i love being adhd it makes playing AAA games that much more fun but i bought ps4 for AAA games not indie. I would have bought an ouya if that was the case. Take your crappy games and nerdy fans somewhere else please

+ StormTimber on June 4th, 2014 at 2:55 pm said:

this game kinda looks like an animated movie! if not that, a very well made motion comic. i guess you could say it’s the UNCHARTED of side scrollers.

as for the art style and animation direction i’m kinda getting a Paranorman vibe to all of this which is really cool.

Scott Benson's Avatar

+ Scott Benson on June 4th, 2014 at 6:40 pm said:

I’m an animator by trade, so any vague comparison to Laika is extremely flattering.

Good catch, too!- the town in Paranorman isn’t a bad touchstone for Possum Springs, visually and geographically. We don’t have any zombies though.

+ Doctor_Hank_Pym on June 4th, 2014 at 2:55 pm said:

@ #37: Shut up.
@ Scott Benson: …and take my nerdmoney. This can’t come soon enough.

[I agree with #1 – Halloween sounds like a great time to release!]

+ Khoury on June 4th, 2014 at 3:07 pm said:

This looks REALLY good! Cannot wait to play it

+ Marcellino on June 4th, 2014 at 3:36 pm said:

“At the End of Everything, Hold On to Anything”

I absolutely adore your tagline for this game! I will definitely be keeping an eye on this one!

+ Einhander138 on June 4th, 2014 at 5:55 pm said:

I hope there’s a physical release.

No disc – no sale.

+ MonkeyBarf on June 4th, 2014 at 7:05 pm said:

Is it weird that THIS is the game that makes me want to buy a PS4??
Your Laika reference sold me.
That and ‘everything sucks forever.’
And cats.

+ oo7PorscheMGS on June 4th, 2014 at 7:37 pm said:

@37…. you’re no gamer… if you knew anything about games you’d KNOW that there are TONS of “AAA” games coming out for ps4, and yup, this looks like it could be one of them. Ever heard of Journey, ever heard of The Walking Dead? Just because some games are smaller, doesn’t mean they can’t be AMAZING.

Learn about what you’re talking about before you talk……. E3 is next week and TONS of AAA games will be shown for PS4. So THINK before you start your whining, because your comment is ignorant / baseless, disrespectful, dumb,…..and that’s me trying to use “nice” words here ;)

By the way, one more thing…are you blind to facts? Watch Dogs just came out on PS4. Keep crying about not having enough AAA games (spoiled brat much?) …while AAA games continue coming out…. many of them indie, many of them non indie.

@42 – no hard drive in your ps4? No fun for your ps4 ;) Seriously..talk about closed minded people…

+ smokey_vols on June 4th, 2014 at 7:54 pm said:

The trailer looks great. I’m an indie supporter so I can see myself buying this when it releases. I wish I had know that this was a kickstarter game, I would have supported it! Also look into bringing this game to the Vita if possible. Indies truly shine on the Vita!

+ Einhander138 on June 4th, 2014 at 8:01 pm said:

@44 – I actually like owning the content I pay for. Digital does not allow that.

+ spacemonkeyham on June 4th, 2014 at 8:54 pm said:

Thank you uber much for bringing this to PS4!

+ EGGS_ONE on June 4th, 2014 at 9:09 pm said:

@44 sssshhhhhh! Don’t feed the trolls! If you ignore them they will go away.

+ nextleveltaken on June 4th, 2014 at 9:13 pm said:

Very cool looking game .As for no Vita version, well, at least you always have Remote Play (assuming you own a PS4).

+ Random_H-bomb on June 4th, 2014 at 11:43 pm said:

So, 2D Animal Crossing meets teen drama featuring black humor, a beautiful art style and a dash of creepy? Sign me up!

No, but seriously this game looks fantastic.

PAGE 1 2