PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Coming to PS3 October 14th

Andrew Goldfarb's Avatar + Posted by Andrew Goldfarb on Jun 05, 2014 // Content Editor, Gearbox Software

Hey everybody, today’s a big day for Borderlands fans!

First off, we’re happy to announce that you’ll be able to get your hands on Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel on October 14th for PS3. The team here at Gearbox has been hard at work along with our buddies over at 2K Australia thanks to a lot of international flights and late night phone calls, and we all think you’ll find a lot to love on Pandora’s moon.

As anyone who attends our PAX panels knows, we don’t like to make announcements empty-handed, so we also have a new trailer today that’s seriously one of the weirdest, most awesome videos I think we’ve ever done. You can get your first look at some of the crazy new enemies, weapons, vehicles, and characters we’ve added to The Pre-Sequel, and special thanks to our friends at Harmonix for cooking up an awesome moon dance break for the trailer. You might also be able to spot a few familiar faces if you’ve visited Pandora in the past.

If you missed it, The Pre-Sequel takes place in between the original Borderlands and Borderlands 2, as our clever-and-totally-not-at-all-on-the-nose title implies. We’ve got four rad new playable Vault Hunters, including Borderlands 2 boss Wilhelm, Nisha (who you might know as the eventual Sheriff of Lynchwood), and Athena from the original Borderlands’ Secret Armory of General Knoxx DLC. Oh, and Claptrap. Seeing him shoot a gun is actually kind of adorable, until he talks and ruins the illusion.

Borderlands: The Pre-SequelBorderlands: The Pre-Sequel

As someone who was a huge Borderlands fan long before I came to Gearbox, I can tell you that visiting the moon in The Pre-Sequel adds a whole new layer to Borderlands. Low gravity jumps and butt stomps are incredibly fun, and freezing and shattering enemies with the new cryo guns is strangely satisfying.

We have a lot of cool surprises still to come, so whether you’ve played Borderlands in the past or want to try out the franchise for the first time, we hope you’ll join us in exploring the moon and everything that comes with it. Some new videos should be coming just next week, so keep an eye out during E3… and beyond!

+ The_Bunn on June 5th, 2014 at 6:25 am said:

Cool. But I’ll wait for the PS4 port.

+ killersense on June 5th, 2014 at 6:28 am said:

looking forward to hearing the andrew goldfard memorial list of upcoming playstation software in octoberon a certain playstation podcast. Beyond!

Andrew Goldfarb's Avatar

+ Andrew Goldfarb on June 5th, 2014 at 11:09 am said:

Beyond! Hopefully by the next time I’m on I’ll actually remember how to say the name of the list.

+ notoptimus on June 5th, 2014 at 6:32 am said:

Digital pre-order please!

+ Valde_zerocool on June 5th, 2014 at 6:37 am said:

BEYOND!

Think there will be a PS3 bundle coming with the pre sequel?

+ smoothboarder540 on June 5th, 2014 at 6:38 am said:

I absolutely love Borderlands but I’m probably going to wait on this game. I’m committed to supporting the ps4 and would rather not continue buying games for the ps3. Maybe you guys didn’t get dev kits in time, or you want to take advantage of the larger ps3 install-base, but either way it was a mistake not making this game for ps4.

+ Runa216 on June 5th, 2014 at 6:45 am said:

So is this a full game, a digital download, an arena shooter, or what? I want to believe it’s a full game, but I’m not getting that vibe.

Also, I saw handsome jack in there. Awesome.

Andrew Goldfarb's Avatar

+ Andrew Goldfarb on June 5th, 2014 at 11:10 am said:

It’s a full, standalone game! And yup, the game tells the story of Jack’s rise to power, and there’s a glimpse of a younger version of him in the trailer. :)

+ notoptimus on June 5th, 2014 at 6:48 am said:

@6 It’s a full game built on the BL2 engine.

+ OrganicShadow on June 5th, 2014 at 6:50 am said:

Go ahead and add me to the list of people waiting on a port. PS4 or Vita at this point or no buy. I hate being “one of those” in the comments sections but if they really have no plans of porting this then I can only hope the sales numbers convince them that last-gen-only was a mistake. This would have been perfect for Vita if they engine could get some more optimization love.

+ klassymike on June 5th, 2014 at 6:58 am said:

Thanks for the continued support of the PS3! People love to discredit the PS3 since the PS4 came out, but in reality the PS3 will still do more than the PS4. So I’ll keep playing my so-called last gen. system, and all the great games coming out for it.

+ Mando44646 on June 5th, 2014 at 7:00 am said:

I LOVE Borderlands, easily one of my favorite franchises from last gen. However, my friends and I no longer play on last gen consoles. Even if I bought it on PS3, no one would be around to play it with. If its on PC, why not PS4? I’ll wait for the PS4 or event Vita port to play I guess as I do not buy last gen-only games anymore

+ Mando44646 on June 5th, 2014 at 7:01 am said:

*even not event

+ GStylez1980 on June 5th, 2014 at 7:07 am said:

“…so keep an eye out during E3…and beyond!” Well played, Andrew…well played, indeed. BEYOND!!! Miss you on the podcast, buddy.

Personally, I am VERY excited for more Borderlands content. I have not upgraded to the PS4 yet due to my extensive PS3 backlog, as well as the fact that most new games are either exclusive to current-gen (as opposed to PS4 being “new-gen”, with examples like BL: The Pre-Sequel and Persona 5), or cross-gen (i.e., Destiny and Far Cry 4). I hope that as we approach the release date, there will be reveals of additional classes (like BL2 had with the Mecromancer and Psycho classes) and at least four meaty DLC packs similar to BL1 and 2. I’m still playing BL2 to this day, and picked it up on Vita to play it on the go (by far the most misunderstood and unnecessarily maligned port in years). Thanks for the release date and awesome video!

+ MatheAdi on June 5th, 2014 at 7:12 am said:

Awesome trailer! Whats the name of the song??? Love me some Borderlands action. Keep up the great work, Dark-Knight of News, and BEYOND!

Andrew Goldfarb's Avatar

+ Andrew Goldfarb on June 5th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

The song is Acrylics by TNGHT. Beyond!

+ Malkavilis on June 5th, 2014 at 7:18 am said:

Please, please, come to Vita too!

+ colef10 on June 5th, 2014 at 7:20 am said:

Can’t wait to hear the Anndrew Goldfarb memorial list of upcoming Playstation software on October 14th. Beyond!

Andrew Goldfarb's Avatar

+ Andrew Goldfarb on June 5th, 2014 at 11:15 am said:

I love that they are calling it that now, haha. Beyond!

+ russdyer77 on June 5th, 2014 at 7:26 am said:

BEYOND! Miss hearing you on Podcast Beyond, I’ll stay tuned next week.

Andrew Goldfarb's Avatar

+ Andrew Goldfarb on June 5th, 2014 at 11:16 am said:

Yeah, I’ll be on during E3! I’m looking forward to it. :) Beyond!

+ thesmellycatjazz on June 5th, 2014 at 7:35 am said:

They aren’t going to port it to PS4, since it’s like @7 notoptimus said: “It’s built on the BL2 engine”. For some reason they do choose to port it, it’ll come out after BL3 and probably be through the Gaikai streaming service. There’s no real reason for them to port PS4 and XB1 anyways. It’ll cost too much to port, and they already have a pretty well established consumer base in the last gen consoles.

+ TeamGreen615 on June 5th, 2014 at 7:39 am said:

Goldfarb I see a large pizza in your future. Team Fat will not get that Persona 4 plat.

Andrew Goldfarb's Avatar

+ Andrew Goldfarb on June 5th, 2014 at 11:16 am said:

I have faith in Greg. :)

+ OrganicShadow on June 5th, 2014 at 8:12 am said:

@17: the “BL2 Engine” is just Unreal Engine 3, which the PS4 can run. BL2 is already on PC, and it’s supposedly easy to port a PC game to PS4, so again, there’s not many logical excuses here.

the likely scenario is they planned and started making the game a while back thinking that PS4/xbone wouldn’t sell very fast, but since that’s turning out to be wrong, they’re already too close to release to try and make a nextgen port by release time. i hope for, and cautiously expect, nextgen ports sometime next year.

+ YungShep on June 5th, 2014 at 9:09 am said:

Looking forward to it.

+ dodgedoors on June 5th, 2014 at 9:25 am said:

Hello Andrew and Beyond! Game looks fun, and I am looking forward to hearing you on the E3 podcast and perhaps the awesomely meta event of you humming the funeral dirge.

+ GameOverGreggy on June 5th, 2014 at 9:37 am said:

BEYOND!

Andrew Goldfarb's Avatar

+ Andrew Goldfarb on June 5th, 2014 at 11:17 am said:

Hi Greg, miss you. <3

+ Rezolution77 on June 5th, 2014 at 10:00 am said:

Totally enjoying my digital copy of Borderlands 2 on Vita , though a few tweeks could be made.
Glad I waited instead of playing it on PS3.
Though I support last gen consoles as well, especially due to my backog of games I still have not gotten to play.

Would not even be an argument if the digital games from PS3 were availble on PS4 with the option to upgrade once getting one.

+ notoptimus on June 5th, 2014 at 10:27 am said:

@19 If it was “just Unreal Engine 3″ then there wouldn’t be anything different from all the other Unreal games. Maybe if I told you it’s more like a huge standalone expansion it would make more sense.

+ Mad-Dominator0 on June 5th, 2014 at 10:56 am said:

Digital Pre Order please! My PS3 disc drive broke about 2 months ago so I can only buy games from the PS Store now. ;(

+ Mad-Dominator0 on June 5th, 2014 at 10:57 am said:

Digital Pre Order!

+ Satnamji on June 5th, 2014 at 11:06 am said:

Glad to see the continued love and support for the PS3–and Borderlands! I’m a PS4 hold out as well, but I did pick up the much improved DS4 controller to use with my PS3, so I’m hoping the Pre-Sequel works as well using it as does BL2.

+ Elvick_ on June 5th, 2014 at 11:23 am said:

If only this could come to PS Vita.

+ djsaiyan on June 5th, 2014 at 12:13 pm said:

Those hoovers tho

+ boomstickbhg on June 5th, 2014 at 12:17 pm said:

Has Borderlands 2 for Vita been fixed? OR does it still run pretty horribly (at least compared to other systems).

As much as I want a Borderlands Vita game, I’ll wait for this one to be fixed, or for the release of one that works.

Until the Vita game works well, you shouldn’t spend much time on the new game.

+ MakoSoul on June 5th, 2014 at 12:25 pm said:

I thought I was done with Borderlands for a while, but this looks too fun to miss. I hope it doesn’t come to PS4 because I am definitely going to want to play it when it comes out.

But whoa, Fall is the seriously FPS season, Destiny, Evolve, Far Cry 4 and now Borderlands. DAMN.

+ Mando44646 on June 5th, 2014 at 1:27 pm said:

@30, Borderlands 2 runs fantastically on my Vita. I’ve put countless hours into it

+ boomstickbhg on June 5th, 2014 at 2:45 pm said:

@32 That’s not what I’ve heard from the people I know who have the game.

But I’m glad it seems to work properly for some people at least. Either that or it was patched since I last asked my friends about it.

+ GStylez1980 on June 5th, 2014 at 7:12 pm said:

@ 33 I concur with Mando44646…BL2 Vita runs well. Frame rate is good…looks great for a Vita game. And the cross-save feature is soooooo cool for a game like this. Well worth the $40 if you’re a BLs fan.

+ KISH1975 on June 5th, 2014 at 8:35 pm said:

yes I will pass , not wasting any more money on ps3 or 360 . stupid move making it old gen only . are Sony and Xbox that stupid they want there consoles to sell , well then give people a reason to move on I have them all and nearly every game is on old gen so why upgrade and that’s why a lot of friends have not yet bought a ps4 or x1 .

+ waldowalso on June 5th, 2014 at 9:48 pm said:

Awesome, can’t wait to play this on my PS3!

+ IngenieroUga on June 6th, 2014 at 10:21 am said:

“Posted by Andrew Goldfarb” :0, you there with Ryan Clements?, nice to hear from you, looking forward to Borderlands pre-sequel :D !BEYOND!