PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Gunship X Coming to PS Vita, Play it at E3

Serban Porumbescu's Avatar + Posted by Serban Porumbescu on Jun 05, 2014 // Developer, Gunship X

I’m happy to announce that Gunship X is coming to PS Vita later this year. If you’re around E3 next week, swing on by the Sony booth to say hello and to give it a try. I love my Vita, and after six years of iOS development I’m really excited about returning to console development — and I’m glad we can do it with Gunship X.

Gunship X is a top down shooter inspired by arguably one of the most memorable parts of Call of Duty Modern Warfare (the AC-130 mission) with a sprinkle of Starship Troopers. Take control of an AC-130 Gunship to defend humanity from invading hordes. Push back the intruders and give the humans a chance to be airlifted to safety with the awesome arsenal at your disposal. Quickly switch between weapons as they reload or cool off to ensure maximal alien carnage. Upgrade your airplanes and their weapons with your earnings and then go out on another bombing and rescue run.

We created Gunship X to provide an intense bite sized experience for players on the go. The action ramps up quickly with most games ending in about five minutes. First and foremost this was achieved by carefully tuning levels. As a player you’re immediately confronted with enemies that demand attention, but that do not put you in immediate peril. This gives you a moment to look around, spot friendlies, and gather yourself before unleashing your weapons. The intensity quickly ramps up from there as you see friendlies abducted and taken off the edge of the game board. Over time, you have to balance your focus between saving humans to maximize earnings, keeping the landing zone clear of hostiles, and dispatching the bomber aliens that can shoot you down.

Gunship X on PS Vita

Click here to see the full gallery

Gunship X is developed by a team of two artists and two engineers living in parts of the United States (California) and The Netherlands. We will ship Gunship X later this year with at least two airplanes (AC-130, AC-17, and maybe a secret 3rd plane ;) ) and over thirty levels spread across at least four unique battle fields. In addition to the missions you can play a survival mode where you’ll put your skills to the test to see how long you can last before getting shot down or overrun by aliens. Keep an eye on the PlayStation.Blog, like us over on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter to stay up to date with our progress.

I hope to see you at E3!

+ Rezolution77 on June 5th, 2014 at 9:42 am said:

Nah.

+ jeter71 on June 5th, 2014 at 9:42 am said:

Finally a new shooter games for the Vita. Looking forward to Gunship X. Looks great, and has a totally different game play.

Can be a day one purchase. Will there be any pre-order bonus??

Serban Porumbescu's Avatar

+ Serban Porumbescu on June 5th, 2014 at 5:35 pm said:

Preorder bonus .. hmm. I’ll look into that. Any bonus suggestions?

+ EvyatarAtarEvyat on June 5th, 2014 at 9:44 am said:

Looks great!

+ B91212- on June 5th, 2014 at 9:47 am said:

Looks fun, think I will give this a go when it comes out.

+ vongruetz on June 5th, 2014 at 9:48 am said:

That’s awesome. I started the video and immediately thought, “This looks like the gunship mission from Modern Warfare.” Then I read the post and discovered that was the goal. Congrats! You’ve succeeded. Can’t wait to play it.

+ Anddo on June 5th, 2014 at 9:52 am said:

Looks fun.
Similar to Zombie Gunship on Android.

+ HeavyToka on June 5th, 2014 at 9:54 am said:

Looks great! Can’t wait to see more.

+ xClayMeow on June 5th, 2014 at 10:02 am said:

So it’s like a first-person, top-down tower defense game? I’m intrigued!

+ BPinter on June 5th, 2014 at 10:55 am said:

Looks good to me!

+ GamerToons on June 5th, 2014 at 11:06 am said:

I saw “top down shooter” thought to myself “wow how many damn top down shooters do I need on my Vita”

Then i posted this comment and wont pay anymore attention.

Serban Porumbescu's Avatar

+ Serban Porumbescu on June 5th, 2014 at 5:53 pm said:

Awww, come on ;). Seriously though that’s okay — you like what you like. Just curious, do you have a particular top down shooter that you do really enjoy?

+ Elvick_ on June 5th, 2014 at 11:18 am said:

This isn’t touch only is it? This could easily translate to button mapping. I know that would increase your work, and probably require some sort of overhaul, but I could easily see this work with buttons. At *least* let the menus work with it. I hate when menus are touch only, even if the game is touch heavy.

@10: Well, that was pointless because this is hardly a twin stick shooter. So… fail.

Serban Porumbescu's Avatar

+ Serban Porumbescu on June 5th, 2014 at 5:59 pm said:

In game works with both touch and the physical controls. I actually prefer the physical controls in game and touch in the menu. We don’t have physical controls setup in the menu — not because it’s hard to implement, but because it feels awkward to me and the menu just seems to lend itself to and feel right with touch.

Chime in if you have a preference for controls in the menu (e.g., touch is fine, I prefer physical buttons, etc). I can be convinced :).

+ AizawaYuuichi on June 5th, 2014 at 1:11 pm said:

@ Elvick_: I can’t imagine this would use touch at all during the actual gameplay. You wouldn’t be able to see what you were doing. It looked like the menus outside gameplay may have used touch, but the way the reticule moved around and the fact that all shots simply went where it was pointing indicate to me that it was using the analog sticks and buttons for in-game control.

This has actually caught my attention. I’ve never played any CoD games, so the only thing I can think of that this even slightly reminds me of is Missile Command. Looks very intriguing, and definitely something I could see myself playing on the Vita in chunks here and there. Good luck with the rest of the project and I’m looking forward to more info.

Serban Porumbescu's Avatar

+ Serban Porumbescu on June 5th, 2014 at 6:04 pm said:

You’re spot on with how we do input at the moment. While touch does work in game, I prefer the sticks and buttons because I can more easily see the game :).

Thanks for the kind words .. I’ll do my best to post more when we have something new worth posting.

+ yentair on June 5th, 2014 at 1:33 pm said:

@6 Anddo – I thought the same thing. I loved Zombie Gunship on my android phone.
Is this a ripoff of it, or is this being ported from Apple or android appstores?
Anyways, it looks a little more in-depth and advanced than zombie gunship, so I may have to give it a try if the price is right.

Serban Porumbescu's Avatar

+ Serban Porumbescu on June 5th, 2014 at 7:03 pm said:

Ha! We’re actually the cocreators of ZG :).

+ tusunami on June 5th, 2014 at 1:42 pm said:

It’s just so exciting to see more PS Vita games coming out I will check-out more about this game at E3.

+ CommandingTiger on June 5th, 2014 at 1:56 pm said:

The type of game I’ll buy day 1.

+ Rainwater on June 5th, 2014 at 5:44 pm said:

Looks pretty cool. Reminds me of the mobile game Zombie Gunship.

+ CaptTM on June 5th, 2014 at 7:33 pm said:

Love Zombie Gunship and this game looks great =^)

+ spacemonkeyham on June 5th, 2014 at 8:39 pm said:

Oh yes. This will do nicely.

+ aqeeliz on June 5th, 2014 at 11:01 pm said:

Looks pretty good, going to keep an eye on it.

+ Elvick_ on June 5th, 2014 at 11:03 pm said:

Glad to know it supports physical controls.

I do prefer physical controls in menus. Even in obvious menus designed for touch. I still try to use the buttons in the menu of LittleBigPlanet Vita, because most of the game is played with the buttons… so when I’m done with a level, or pause. I’m already set up for buttons… so I try… and nothing happens. Then I die a little more inside.

Options, that’s what I always prefer. Because sometimes, I will go for a touch on a menu and nothing happens. Which also makes me die a little inside. Just let the player do whatever feels natural to them (within reason obviously).

+ Einhander138 on June 6th, 2014 at 4:07 am said:

Hope there’s a physical release.

Physical media or NO SALE.