PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Don’t Starve: Giant Edition Coming to PS Vita

Corey Rollins's Avatar + Posted by Corey Rollins on Jun 06, 2014 // Community Manager, Klei Entertainment

Don't Starve: Reign of Giants

Hey everyone! I’m Corey Rollins from Klei Entertainment, and I’m happy to announce Don’t Starve: Giant Edition is coming to PlayStation Vita and will include both Don’t Starve and the Reign of Giants Expansion. Now, we’re not sure of an exact release date yet, but it’s happening.

Since we first released Don’t Starve: Console Edition on PS4, a lot of people said they’d love to play it on the go with their Vita. Well, we agree!

Don’t Starve: Giant Edition will include the original Don’t Starve along with all of the updates currently released on PC and PS4, including the multi-leveled caves update and the discoverable “Adventure Mode” that puts your survival skills to the test with multiple randomly-generated unique worlds as you try to escape your wild and strange prison.

Along with the original version of Don’t Starve, you’ll also get the Reign of Giants Expansion included! So Vita players will get access to the original nine characters and two new additions. Play as Wigfrid, a stage actress who went a bit too far with method acting on her latest role, an ancient Valkyrie, or Webber, a young boy who lives inside the spider who tried to eat him long ago.

Don't Starve: Reign of GiantsDon't Starve: Reign of Giants

The Reign of Giants expansion adds new seasonal challenges including the torrential rain falls of spring and the blistering heat of summer. You’ll also get new procedurally-generated biomes filled to the brim with new creatures and gatherables that will either help you survive — or kill you. Oh, and Giants.

We’ve also optimized the game to take advantage of Vita’s touch features. Navigation for menus, maps, items, and crafting are all touch friendly, or you can use the classic button navigation.

We’ll have more details in the coming months, but we wanted to confirm it’s happening. We’re also working on the final steps to bring the Reign of Giants Expansion to PS4. So expect an update on that release soon.

If you’ve got any questions or just want to say hi, you can find us on Twitter at @Klei. We’re always around and happy to chat. Don’t Starve is what it is thanks to the amazing community and discussions. Thanks for all the feedback and support!

PAGE 1 2

+ CapJSheridan on June 6th, 2014 at 10:07 am said:

Do consider cross-buy, we love those

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 11:04 am said:

We’re still working out the details, but we’re looking into options to let existing players upgrade to the Vita version. Because Don’t Starve: Giant Edition on Vita includes the DLC and Don’t Starve PS4 was given away on PS+ at launch, it’s a bit trickier and we can’t do cross-buy. When we get more concrete info we’ll pop it up in our official forums and on twitter @klei, but we’re exploring options.

+ kensami1975 on June 6th, 2014 at 10:12 am said:

Great!

+ Borshay on June 6th, 2014 at 10:15 am said:

You guys rock! Game was really fun on PS4 and worked well with remote play, but the UI was a little difficult to see since it was made for a huge screen lol.

This is why I love PS+, a game I wouldn’t have tried originally I become a big fan of and will definitely be picking this up once it launches on the Vita!

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 11:06 am said:

Thanks! People posting video, screens and feedback about how much they enjoyed it on remote play DS on Vita was a big reason we pushed to do this!

And yes, the UI navigation was a common point of feedback so it has been tuned for Vita’s button controls and touch features so you can pick what you like best.

+ Gorvi on June 6th, 2014 at 10:15 am said:

Awesome news, the game will be a great fit for the Vita.

+ DZORMAGEN on June 6th, 2014 at 10:16 am said:

Will it have cross save, and will the trophy list be separate? Also with cross save, will trophies be retro active?

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 11:10 am said:

Since Don’t Starve: Giant Edition on Vita includes the DLC we aren’t able to do cross buy / play / save. So the trophies list will be separate. I’m not sure if they will have any changes made to what they are just yet, but at minimum, they will be the same or similar and earned separate from the PS4 version.

+ GStylez1980 on June 6th, 2014 at 10:16 am said:

Yes Yes YES!!! I don’t own a PS4 yet and was pretty jealous when this game arrived on the system at the beginning of the year. Very excited that the definitive version of Don’t Stare is coming to my beloved Vita!

@1 I doubt this game will be cross-buy, as this is a different version of the game. It includes an expansion pack not included in the PS4 edition.

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 11:10 am said:

We hope you enjoy it!

+ race2winnet on June 6th, 2014 at 10:16 am said:

This is outstanding news!!!

+ GreggSidski on June 6th, 2014 at 10:17 am said:

Great news! Will pick up day one for sure.

+ Dionysus-Jones on June 6th, 2014 at 10:20 am said:

And then my wife stole my Vita, and I never saw it again…

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 11:11 am said:

hahahaha

+ fizbarl on June 6th, 2014 at 10:22 am said:

Cross-buy please! This will be a great Vita game, but it will be a definite purchase if cross-buy is included and I can play on both PS4 and Vita.

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 11:12 am said:

We’re still working out the details, but we’re looking into options to let existing players upgrade to the Vita version. Because Don’t Starve: Giant Edition on Vita includes the DLC and Don’t Starve PS4 was given away on PS+ at launch, it’s a bit trickier and we can’t do cross-buy. When we get more concrete info we’ll pop it up in our official forums and on twitter @klei (maybe I can come back for a second Vita blog post Q&A!), but we’re exploring options.

+ xClayMeow on June 6th, 2014 at 10:26 am said:

My prayers have been answered.

FINALLY!!!

+ Elvick_ on June 6th, 2014 at 10:41 am said:

Touch and physical controls for the menus?

Well done! Hate when developers pick one or the other. Let players do what feels natural and have it work.

I was one of the people who would have liked the game on Vita, so this is awesome for me. Great news.

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 11:13 am said:

When we first got it working on Vita, we kept wanting to touch the UI ourselves. Just seemed right. Expanding and navigating the map with touch also just made sense as well. Thanks for the support!

+ wBENDERw on June 6th, 2014 at 10:44 am said:

OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg inhale OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg OMG omg ….

thank you i’ll will buy this and treasure it and pet it i will call it george!!!!

I CANNOT WAIT

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

All right, but you have to promise to walk it every day and clean up after it.

+ HE1SENBERG on June 6th, 2014 at 10:48 am said:

Vancouver, represent! I still haven’t played it despite getting it through PS+, but I’ll be sure to give it a whirl on the Vita since it’s more convenient for me to do so and I love me some Canadian/local devs.

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 11:15 am said:

*Vancouver fist bump*

+ Kishnabe on June 6th, 2014 at 10:48 am said:

Yes….I can’t play this on PS4 or PC. I feel like it fits the small screen big world feeling of the Vita.

I like sitting on my bed to get immersed in games. Handhelds do that best.

One of the few Indie I want. Will get this and Hotline Miami 2, Hotline Miami(if it goes on sale again).

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 11:16 am said:

Thank you! And actually, I would like to see HLM2 on Vita as well hahaha

+ wBENDERw on June 6th, 2014 at 10:51 am said:

@+ Kishnabe how about hyper light drifter!!! I want that to!!!

+ iREVOLTER on June 6th, 2014 at 10:52 am said:

OMG! Dat PSVita Love :D. Life is Vita, Vita is Life. AE!

+ GeoDarky on June 6th, 2014 at 11:00 am said:

Awesome news! This is perfect opportunity to support you guys i loved the PS4 version so much i got addicted now i can get even more addicted on the go! Thank you Klei Entertainment for bringing this to PS Vita

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 11:17 am said:

Thanks so much for the support! That means a lot :)

+ xClayMeow on June 6th, 2014 at 11:04 am said:

I hope this does well and it makes you consider bringing Mark of the Ninja to Vita (or a sequel). Loved the game on PC and Vita is perfect for platformers!

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 11:20 am said:

Thanks so much for the love. Since Mark of the Ninja was a Microsoft published game (Don’t Starve is self published by us!) it likely won’t make it’s way to PS3/PS4/Vita in the foreseeable future. But, while we’re not working on it actively, we think there’s still a lot of unexplored potential in the world of sneaky ninja goodness.

+ syzygyC on June 6th, 2014 at 11:06 am said:

Excellent, can’t wait. I have been wanting to play this for a while, and it will be perfect on Vita.

+ ShadowFox014 on June 6th, 2014 at 11:12 am said:

This is epic! :D Don’t Starve is one of my all time favorite games and the ability to play it on the go…

Klei Entertainment, you just made my year! :3

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 11:24 am said:

Thanks so much! That means a lot to hear and we’re happy we can finally make this happen :)

+ DarkSlayer79 on June 6th, 2014 at 11:12 am said:

I wonder if the new multiplayer will come too

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 11:22 am said:

Since the Vita version includes the Reign of Giants expansion, and has been optimized specifically for Vita, it’s very unlikely multiplayer will come to Vita. We’re still trying to figure out what’s possible for PS4 and our PC playable Alpha won’t be ready until late august(ish). So we still have a long ways to go before we can lock down any new MP news.

+ todd567 on June 6th, 2014 at 11:19 am said:

SWEETNESS now what about the dlc that adds multiplayer?????

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 11:24 am said:

Multiplayer is still in the early development stages on PC. We haven’t even released an Alpha yet, but we’re hoping to around the end of August. That being said, the Vita version won’t likely get multiplayer, but we are pushing and hoping to bring it to PS4.

+ Enderet on June 6th, 2014 at 11:46 am said:

Great job guys! Im definitely going to be buying this on Vita. Here is an idea for the Cross-Buy. Why dont you promote the Giants DLC on the PS4, as not just the DLC but also a way to unlock Cross-Buy? And seriously, work out Cross Save into it somehow, there will be nothing better than seamlessly switching from the ps4 and vita. Always looking forward to whatever yall are working on next. Keep up the good work!

+ Borshay on June 6th, 2014 at 11:56 am said:

The only way I can think of doing CrossBuy is attach the PS4 Giants DLC to the Vita version. If you buy the Vita version you get the PS4 DLC free, so if you’re a Plus member the games would be equal.

Its kind of a mess. It’s much more difficult to do a cross-buy on a game like this after launch. Even Sony didn’t do it for Dead Nation. The PS3/PSVita version was cross buy but the PS4 version wasn’t due to it containing the DLC.

Is the Vita version expected to be out by the end of the year?

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 12:05 pm said:

Vita version doesn’t have an exact date, but yes 2014 release is our target. Once we have more details we’ll get them announced ASAP!

+ Rezolution77 on June 6th, 2014 at 12:04 pm said:

Never got around to downloading this on PS4.

Never hurts to put it on Vita.

+ taylynne on June 6th, 2014 at 12:14 pm said:

As an avid player of Don’t Starve since beta on pc, and a new vita owner, I’m super stoked to hear about this! (and excited for the multiplayer for pc) The game has come a long way, and would be a great handheld game. I can’t wait to hear more information good job Klei, keep it up! :)

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 12:17 pm said:

Thank you!

+ Borshay on June 6th, 2014 at 12:15 pm said:

Thanks for the date info! I have a list of all Vita games coming out this year, didn’t want to put 2014 next to it and give false hope if it was a 2015 title.

Keep up the good work and I’m curious to see what your next project after Don’t Starve is!

+ Slizarus on June 6th, 2014 at 12:28 pm said:

Awesome! There was a lot of speculation on whether or not you’d bring it to the Vita, I’m glad you guys decided to :) I’m a big fan of your game! Though it usually creeps me out too much to play it :) (The very threat of wolves chasing me is creeeeepy)

I hope to see good things, I like how you guys handled remote play and I’m sure you’ll do the UI justice in the port.

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 1:17 pm said:

Thanks! Yeah we saw people playing it via remote play, and even when we were trying it we kept wanting to touch the UI and navigate the map with gestures. So now you’ll be able to :)

+ PhoenixDowny on June 6th, 2014 at 12:30 pm said:

Oh my! This is awesome! I’ve been praying and hoping for Don’t Starve to come to the Vita. You can rest assured I’m already ready to buy and download it to my PS Vita.

+ Trendy_Kid on June 6th, 2014 at 12:39 pm said:

I’m so glad I held out for the definitive, err I mean, Vita version. :D

+ Imputed7-14 on June 6th, 2014 at 12:43 pm said:

You know, “We are bring it to Vita.” are quickly become six of my favorite words in the English language. It just makes my day every time I hear it. Today, Mr. Rollins, you have made my day. Thanks to you and the rest of the team. The Vita is my favorite place to game and you all just made it a little better. Cheers.

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 1:16 pm said:

Thanks for the kudos! :)

+ jamman39 on June 6th, 2014 at 12:50 pm said:

This is a nice surprise but what I would really like to know is if we will ever see Mark of the Ninja on playstation

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 1:14 pm said:

+ Demonxeire on June 6th, 2014 at 1:02 pm said:

Yes ! finally i can play don’t starve on the go and i don’t have to carry my comp around anymore btw i love the pc version on steam and stand alone! ( I bought both) can’t wait for this to be out soon also for anything else that you have to offer

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 1:15 pm said:

Thanks so much for the support! We can’t wait to get the Vita version out. Being able to pick up and quickly hop in to your game on the go is something we really wanted to make happen.

+ snakeeyes211 on June 6th, 2014 at 1:34 pm said:

Can you add a platinum trophy to this game now that it has more trophies ?

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 2:41 pm said:

We can ask about the potential, but developers don’t actually decide if a game gets a Platinum Trophy or not. If they are given a slot for one, they can pick what you need to do to earn it though.

+ xobter on June 6th, 2014 at 1:42 pm said:

I’ve been on debating buying this game for a while. I’ll definitely nab this when it comes to the vita.

+ JumpMan33 on June 6th, 2014 at 2:14 pm said:

That’s a shame about no cross buy/save
Maybe you guys can do something like the Rainbow Moon guys did and offer a discount for those who already own the console version?

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 2:37 pm said:

Maybe! We’re trying to find out what options we have, but we’re looking into alternatives to say thanks to people who supported the game on PS4 or Vita and want to snag the other version. Once we figure it out we’ll update everyone!

+ xClayMeow on June 6th, 2014 at 2:21 pm said:

Ah, good point, Corey; forgot that MotN was published by MS.

But glad to hear you think there’s still more of that world for you guys to explore. I actually attended Nel’s talk about MotN at GDC 2013; totally awesome to get some insight onto what went into designing the game!

+ Demonxeire on June 6th, 2014 at 2:23 pm said:

@snakeeyes211 I don’t think they’re going to noooot just yet i have aching feeling don’t starve has only just begun to starve

+ Reshes on June 6th, 2014 at 2:27 pm said:

I got Don’t Starve free on PS4 with PS+ but will definitely be double dipping on this for the Vita. Thank you guys at Sony and the developers for making this handheld of mine a nice little handheld indie gaming device! The more games available on Steam on this handheld, the better!

Can you elaborate on what limitations there are with offering a game with the PS+ service and also what programming or infrastructure problems occur with features such as cross buy and cross play?

I think a lot of gamers want to know that if getting a game from PS+ does deteriorate the possibility of cross buy and cross play then we have a right to know that these features don’t co-exist well or aren’t possible.

I for one am a huge fan of cross buy, it allows me to be able to play almost all of my vita indie games on my ps3 at no additional charge.

Please consider chatting with IGN,Kotaku, Joystiq, or Polygon, etc. about the PS+ limitations with cross-buy compatibility!

As a service PS+ stands well on it’s own, but if it’s detrimental to the furthering of cross-buy I would like to see some response in that regard.

Thank you for all of the indie love and the great work you do with the Playstation services!

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 2:36 pm said:

It’s mostly down to the fact that Don’t Starve was made for PC, then brought to PS4, and is now coming to Vita with Reign of Giants included making it an entirely different SKU. Also we had Don’t Starve 100% free at it’s launch on PS4 for PSN+ members so that adds further complications on top of the technical demands. Basically, from every aspect of releasing a game, developing a game designed to be cross buy / play right from the start is a very different than trying to add it in after the fact. But all that said, we’re looking in to what other options we have to say thanks to those who have one or the other version. Once we sort it out, we’ll do an update, maybe I can come back to the PS.Blog and chat again for that :)

+ Gasmaskted on June 6th, 2014 at 3:00 pm said:

Physical copy? I’d like something tangible other than a *&%$ blind box mime…

+ vault2049 on June 6th, 2014 at 3:13 pm said:

Brilliant! Never got to play this and I don’t plan on buying a PS4 anytime soon. I’ve heard positive opinions about this game. Really nice of you to get this game on the Vita. Will definitely buy it when it comes out.

+ Rainwater on June 6th, 2014 at 3:42 pm said:

Excellent! I’ve been hoping this one would come to Vita since I saw the quick look on Giantbomb.

+ Thiagots85 on June 6th, 2014 at 4:09 pm said:

FREAKING AWESOME!

Haven’t played the game on pc or ps4 ( the later ’cause I don’t own one =[ )…. GREAT NEWS FOR ME!

I love playing games on the go!

I’ll buy it day one!

Keep the good games coming!

+ Sharingan_itachi on June 6th, 2014 at 5:05 pm said:

Let me see… the Vita version will not get any support after launch ( the MP content)

so basically don’t care

+ Corey Rollins on June 6th, 2014 at 5:44 pm said:

Multiplayer is still in the early development stages on PC. We haven’t even released an Alpha yet, but we’re hoping to around the end of August. That being said, as we can currently see, the Vita version indeed won’t likely get multiplayer, but we are pushing and hoping to bring it to PS4. It’s just way to early to tell since it’s not even playable in Alpha stage on PC yet.

+ Boxster17 on June 6th, 2014 at 5:45 pm said:

Would love to see something like cross-save for this but I understand that may not be possible. Played it an fair bit on my PS4 but like many others always seemed like a perfect Vita game. You can pick up and continue where you left off so easily, it lends it self to the quick pick up and play idea well.

+ spacemonkeyham on June 6th, 2014 at 11:46 pm said:

If it isn’t cross buy, I’ll have to think long and hard about which one to get . . . probably the original + x-pack on PS4, since that will give me the option of looking at the big OR little screen . . . although the menus would be extra nice with touch controls . . .

+ Mr_Knot on June 7th, 2014 at 12:08 am said:

all my want

+ alphagoku1 on June 7th, 2014 at 12:15 am said:

does this mean that theres a giant edition update that would be available soon on ps4? and if so, why not just add on a possible upgrade to get a digital release for the psvita version? that seems pretty logical to me, and it would help to gauge the possible interest level

+ Meloss85 on June 7th, 2014 at 4:38 pm said:

I would really love if I could upgrade my PS4 version to the Giants edition, then I would still buy the vita copy as long as I could transfer my save. I think cross buy would be great, but I completely understand if not possible. Big hitch for me is cross-save.

PAGE 1 2