Driveclub

New Free-to-Play Titles Coming to PlayStation

John Koller's Avatar + Posted by John Koller on Jun 09, 2014 // VP of Platforms Marketing, SCEA

We firmly believe that the best game development ideas can come from anywhere and anyone, and as the brand that stands for gamers, we want to make it easy for gamers to step outside of their comfort zones and experience these new types of games.

Tonight at our E3 Press Conference, we announced more good news for gamers: with the help of our amazing Worldwide Studios team and third-party partners, PlayStation is introducing a robust catalogue of Free-to-Play (F2P) games with a goal of offering more ways for gamers to discover and connect with a larger variety of titles and experiences. The PlayStation F2P initiative will give gamers the opportunity to try a variety of games that they may have not otherwise played, at no cost or financial commitment. We’ll leave it up to you, the gamer, to decide how much you want to invest in the game.

The development community was central to PS4 platform development and ultimately has helped us create an expansive library of unique experiences. The F2P initiative is another testament to what makes PlayStation a leader in the industry. From Triple-A blockbusters like DRIVECLUB, The Order: 1886, and Bloodborne to the recently announced free-to-play titles, PlayStation is home to amazing content.

Check out our impressive lineup of upcoming F2P titles below and be sure to take some time off this summer to experience the deep library of games that are calling your name…you know I will!

GUNSUP_Screenshot13

GUNS UP!
GUNS UP! is a free-to-play strategy game where players take on the role of a General, managing resources and deploying the right combination of troops, land mines, air strikes, and smoke screens to destroy enemy bases and conquer new territories. With Cross-Play, Generals can fine-tune their strategy against opponents with turn-based asynchronous gameplay across PS4, PS3 and PS Vita systems. We’re excited to share more about Valkyrie Entertainment’s first independently-developed game releasing later this year.

Fat Princess_Banner

Fat Princess: Piece of Cake
Launching later this summer, Fat Princess: Piece of Cake takes the comic medieval battle royale to the next level with a brand-new strategic match-3 free to play puzzle game for PlayStation Vita and mobile platforms. Wrapped within the beloved universe of Fat Princess, you’ll charge into battle with four different character classes to rescue the princess. Throughout the battle, collect gems to upgrade troops, feed cake to the princess to unleash slam attacks and trigger massive combos to save the kingdom. As an added bonus, we’ll also be rewarding you for progressing in the game. When you reach level 15, you’ll unlock a voucher code to download the original Fat Princess for PS3 at no cost.

BIGFEST

BigFest
With the help of Big Dave and a crew of trusty roadies, BigFest gives music-lovers the ability to discover real-world music talent and build the ultimate music festival. Partnering with one of the world’s largest free music platforms, players help real-world, unsigned artists climb the charts as they build their mega festival. Players can swing by friends’ festivals to help build the best show or sabotage their success. If you’re feeling generous, boost each other’s festivals by repairing a broken toilet or capturing a streaker. And if you’re feeling a bit naughty, try vandalizing your friend’s tour bus or destroying the stage!

PAIN

PAIN Free to Play
PAIN Free to Play is a wild, physics-based game where players load characters into a super-sized, ultra-powerful slingshot and launch them into an active, physics-controlled environment to cause destruction and PAIN. PAIN Free to Play will be releasing exclusively on PS3 this summer.

Third-Party Free-to-Play Games

kingdom unde rfire II_logo

Kingdom Under Fire II
Kingdom Under Fire II is brand new style Action RTS, which players can control both Troops and Hero at the same time. As a F2P MMO Game, players can evolve from a novice mercenary up to the ultimate conqueror of the world and can explore massive scale battlefields with other players. Players will uncover the secret storyline which was not revealed from the previous title, Kingdom Under Fire: Crusaders.

reaper

Reaper
Reaper is an action RPG platformer directed by Luc Bernard. The player will take control of one of Death’s reapers who decides to turn on Death after she sends him to take the life of his own daughter. You will be able to collect over 100 Soul Cards at launch, which will go from simple things such as equipment, to more powerful cards like Summons and Spells.

cyberstep_onigiri_us

Onigiri
The MMO Onigiri is the tale of another world, based on the myths, fables, stories, and legends of old Japan. You, a descendant of the ancient Oni, and your eight companions, must set forth against the Kamigui and their hidden masters, the Goikkou.

planetside2

PlanetSide 2
PlanetSide 2 is a revolutionary massive scale first-person shooter where soldiers battle as one in strategic, targeted missions against enemy empires in an all-out planetary war. The game challenges the skill and grit of the most seasoned soldier through intense infantry, air, and ground vehicle gameplay.

My Singing Monsters on Free to Play

My Singing Monsters
My Singing Monsters is a world-building game where the player collects and breeds adorable monsters. There’s a big difference to this game, however, that sets it far apart from others of the genre; these monsters sing, play, and dance! Each island has its own song and is packed full of incredibly cute monsters. The new Yawstrich and G’joob monsters, which are only available on PS Vita, will enhance your islands and make them like none the world has ever seen!

LoadOut Screen

Loadout
Loadout is an outrageous multi-player shooter that’s all about the guns, baby! Build a massive variety of absolutely insane weaponry – billions of combinations – totally customized, totally unique, and totally deadly. And better yet, it’s coming as a console exclusive to PS4!

War Thunder

War Thunder
Making its console debut on PS4, War Thunder is a cross-platform next generation MMO combat game dedicated to World War II military aviation, armored vehicles, and fleets. You will take part in all of the major combat battles, fighting with real players all over the world. War Thunder is available now on the PlayStation Store, so download today!

35 Comments

+ EarnYourWayIn on June 9th, 2014 at 8:29 pm said:

Shut Up.

+ Clocktowe015 on June 9th, 2014 at 8:30 pm said:

I BEG You, please don’t kill DRAKE IN UNCHARTED 4 ): ,

+ Clocktowe015 on June 9th, 2014 at 8:31 pm said:

@1, Stop being Rude and learn some manners

+ Clocktowe015 on June 9th, 2014 at 8:32 pm said:

Please don’t kill Uncharted it’s my favorite Playstation Title

+ EarnYourWayIn on June 9th, 2014 at 8:35 pm said:

@ 3 There’s no such thing as “manners” in the world of gaming.

+ Shadow_Kamui on June 9th, 2014 at 8:35 pm said:

I am glad that Onigiri is coming to america cant wait

+ Ray2Jerry on June 9th, 2014 at 8:37 pm said:

More “Free to Play” was the worst part of the whole conference tonight. Free to play is ruining gaming and I DO NOT WANT IT on console… when I buy a console game I want the WHOLE game, not to be nickeled and dimed to death with micro transactions.

Seriously Sony, get over this crap fast!! We all know that “Free to Play” means “Totally Crap Unless You Break Out Your Wallet 20 Times A Month”

rAy

+ Flypn5 on June 9th, 2014 at 8:38 pm said:

Where are the Vita’s games? I was waiting for a Digimon’s trailer. Maybe: Crash, GoW or something like that… but What did you announce? A tetris game .-. and some indies. Sorry for my English.

+ pge_13 on June 9th, 2014 at 8:40 pm said:

I expected some announcement about the replacement uncharted 3 and lbp in psn plus

many games, I hope to see as early as possible :)

+ hazelcabug on June 9th, 2014 at 8:45 pm said:

We were excited to see E3 for ps vita and this is ALL WE GOT???? Oh no not again Sony! Most of your ps vita customer are not living in America, so we don’t give a dime about “Playstation Now”as it’s not available in our region. On the other hand the Asian region only keeps on releasing NON-english language games, as it’s like they are making Playstation vita JAPAN EXCLUSIVE! What the f is going on! Get it together or all your non-japanese loyal vita customers are going to stop supporting the vita anymore!

+ hazelcabug on June 9th, 2014 at 8:46 pm said:

@9 Don’t blame the developer of Tetris it’s a 3rd party developer. Let’s all blame SONY for not making AAA vita games anymore!

+ pge_13 on June 9th, 2014 at 8:59 pm said:

I am also upset about Vita, I do not live in USA and how hard it is to find AAA here, I really hope someday they realize as slowly killing a console that has the potential to be one of the best portable consoles. C´mon sony, you always listening your fans, why not listening now?.

+ RoD_GX on June 9th, 2014 at 9:16 pm said:

I can’t believe.. SCEA took the cartridge slot away from the PlayStation Vita TV and renamed it PlayStation TV, in a clear attempt to force customers into buying their overpriced memory card in order to play Digital games only.

And yet, they didn’t even mention a reduced price for the memory card!
How stupid do you think we are, Sony?

+ Lokidies on June 9th, 2014 at 10:12 pm said:

BIg fest being free was the only thing good about this e3 for me and they didn’t even mention freedom wars.

+ blackgndrf on June 9th, 2014 at 11:13 pm said:

Nice games :D. Please bring Hearthstone to PS family too :D

+ DaMann22 on June 9th, 2014 at 11:18 pm said:

Planetside 2 will make you say Hardline What?

Quantum Dawn, check us out when the game goes live. *Us east*

+ redknight4 on June 10th, 2014 at 12:30 am said:

I’m glad onigiri is heading stateside as well. I’ve played the Japanese ps4 client for a bit and it works well and looks good. i’ll be looking forward to actually playing it in English.

last i checked japan only had 2 free to play games warframe and onigiri

dream club hostess girls on stage is only a free game that offers 15 easy to get trophies and it doesn’t show up in the free to play section.

+ poolmav45 on June 10th, 2014 at 2:25 am said:

@7 Yuck! I totally agree with you. I won’t even touch a Free-to-Play games. Beside what you have mention, most of time they are buggy as hell and not much fun, even when you “Pay-to-Play.” Which, is the real concept! We might as well go back to the arcade set-up. At least with arcades; the games were descent.

This just makes me sick to my stomach! I understand keeping the servers running, but they should as least, when you get up to $60-80 worth of purchasing; just unlock all items and extras for you.

+ Clantron on June 10th, 2014 at 6:27 am said:

@7 / @17

If you can’t control yourself from buying micro transactions, don’t blame the creators.
I’ve been playing quite a few F2P games without ever spending a single dime on it.

I have to say that quite a few of them do appear to have an increased amount of bugs. but you know what: It’s friggin free! You don’t HAVE to pay anything if you don’t want to. I welcome F2P games in general because it’s a nice addition. If I don’t like the game I don’t play it. If I do, nice bonus!

My main motivation for playing them is trophies. If they don’t have trophies I generally dont even start them, but that is my choice and decision. I don’t start yelling to remove those games from the PS network just because I don’t like it….

+ Elvick_ on June 10th, 2014 at 6:46 am said:

Super excited for Fat Princess: Piece of Cake, it’s a great game on iOS. Glad the soft launch was in Canada.

I think people will be surprised how good of a match-3 game it is.

I hope by the time it comes out, you guys alter the paid stuff though. It’s not intrusive at all, but I *WANT* to support the game with something but nothing feels worth it.

+ Elvick_ on June 10th, 2014 at 6:47 am said:

@18: Amen. So glad to see someone get it.

+ theDSsucks on June 10th, 2014 at 8:20 am said:

did it say Guns Up is turn-based? I’m in!!!!!
Hope to find more gameplay on YouTube…

+ DragonIrons on June 10th, 2014 at 8:26 am said:

@12 Are you serious? THere’s no slot for the Vita Game cards? I’ve been waiting for this to be released over here so I can play my games on the big screen and not get a headache staring at a tiny screen (at least the games that dont’ have REQUIRED touchscreen controls)……. I thought it was odd that the U.S. release was called Playstation TV and not Vita TV….

+ saintaqua on June 10th, 2014 at 9:25 am said:

Those saying that PS TV has removed the cartridge slot are wrong! On the official spec page it clearly says there is a slot: http://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/pstv/specs

+ rahnyc4 on June 10th, 2014 at 12:29 pm said:

ps vita free to play is just down right awful, lets be honest.

+ Socket7 on June 10th, 2014 at 1:03 pm said:

GUNS UP! looks awesome.

+ Orpheus_Aeons on June 10th, 2014 at 2:15 pm said:

You know what could’ve made this list awesome, blog staff? =)

THE DAMN PLATFORMS FOR *ALL* THE GAMES!!!! >_<

+ EdReedFan20 on June 10th, 2014 at 3:38 pm said:

I’m confused as to why Planetside 2 is under Third Party. I thought Sony Online Entertainment was a division of Sony Computer Entertainment?

+ DragonIrons on June 10th, 2014 at 4:00 pm said:

#24…. nice info, bad link. It’s this: http://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstationtv/specs

You’re right, it does list a mem card slot AND a Vita game card slot. So that’s good…… The game card slot obviously isnt’ on the back though….. it must be on one of the sides.

+ Bido232 on June 11th, 2014 at 5:06 am said:

thanks for the free to play games, but ps vita free to play games ronly 2 games i think, i hope u add a new free to play fps for vita
thanks for th free to play btw :)

+ Ferdronica on June 11th, 2014 at 9:31 pm said:

see, what they have done!
its not about free or not but it made vita being worthless by bringing this smartphone games..

+ jusmoore2-1673 on June 12th, 2014 at 9:38 am said:

Hey where the LittleBigPlanet Hub you Promise.

+ xReaverbloodx on June 29th, 2014 at 8:14 pm said:

I wish they had more MMOs for playstation 3. . .¦(

+ Kenneth1a1 on July 6th, 2014 at 3:21 pm said:

Don’t kill Drake in Uncharted. It’s maybe my favorite series! Plus, there is so much more to explore. Like if this one is based years later you could show where he went during the past years. Like, he could have went on more adventures while they were married then she asked him to stop. Also, I would like to see more of his past.

+ davidjohn06 on July 9th, 2014 at 10:21 am said:

yeah bring more non japanese games to us vita owners!! i am though excited for these F2P Games :)