PS4-The Order

No Man’s Sky Coming to PS4, New Trailer Revealed

Sean Murray's Avatar + Posted by Sean Murray on Jun 09, 2014 // Managing Director, Hello Games

Hello PlayStation.Blog!

My name is Sean Murray, and I’m part of an independent studio called Hello Games. You might know us from a game called Joe Danger. That’s the only time I’ve been on the blog before. Sony was incredibly supportive of us back then, when we were just starting out as four friends, making our first game.

Now Sony is putting our next game, called No Man’s Sky, on the biggest stage in the world of videogames… and I’m feeling pretty sick with nerves.

I’m writing this during the rehearsals for Sony’s E3 keynote. I’ve never been before, just watched every year from home. It’s a lot bigger in real life.

space-kill

No Man’s Sky is a science-fiction game coming to PS4. It’s incredibly ambitious and set in a vast universe we have created.

canyon-chasetake-off

It’s a game without limits. If you see a mountain, you can trek there. From that mountain, if you see another planet hanging on the horizon, that’s a real place, with its own ecology. You can get in your ship, fly into space and it’s yours to explore. Not just that, but every star in the sky is just the light of a sun, with its own solar system waiting for you to discover and adventure in.

CreatureDiplo

To put together our demo for E3, I’ve just been flying around, looking for nice locations for screenshots. Normally as a developer, your game doesn’t often surprise you, but I’ve just been grinning ear to ear as I’ve explored. Getting into fights with pirates, attacking space stations, discovering life I never knew existed. I guess I’m biased, but there are moments where my jaw drops, just seeing unexpected results emerge from procedural systems we’ve created.

Going out on the stage at Sony’s E3 press conference will be the biggest thing our little studio has ever done. We’ve been planning this game for years, even knowing that Joe Danger was a stepping stone to get to this point. Four of us went into a little room last year and finally started prototyping it. We didn’t even know if what we wanted to do was possible.

Before we finally announced it at VGX we just had no idea how No Man’s Sky would be received, but the incredible reaction helped us get through some real difficult times in the months since, like when our studio flooded at Christmas, and we sort of lost everything.

We’ve all been working so hard for our E3 demo since then. We haven’t done any press, or talked to anyone really, we just wanted to make the game, and prove ourselves worthy of all the kind words we’ve had since the VGXs. In that time we’ve seen the universe explode as we’ve designed hundreds of new procedural systems that have led to new forms of life, new patterns of vegetation and amazing geological formations. Back at VGX, the game was so young. Now it’s much more complete.

I’ve flown out first, but the whole of Hello Games is joining me soon to sit in the audience. I can’t wait to see them – it’ll be our first E3 for everyone.

By the time you’re reading this, hopefully the show went off without a hitch and I didn’t vomit on-stage, or whatever (potentially I’m already some sort of animated gif meme embarrassment). But most of all, we hope you like what we’ve shown today.

Thanks for all your support!

62 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ avatarguy on June 9th, 2014 at 7:29 pm said:

Great game day one buy!

+ ThingIshNess on June 9th, 2014 at 7:47 pm said:

There are few games I’m looking forward to more than this, especially at first sight. Can’t wait!

+ TJF588 on June 9th, 2014 at 7:50 pm said:

THIS here should properly be the PS4′s new hotness.

+ Mobius2525 on June 9th, 2014 at 7:53 pm said:

Day one buy for me.

+ Viewtiful_Gene on June 9th, 2014 at 8:01 pm said:

I have to admit it, that demo was insane.

+ perrandy on June 9th, 2014 at 8:02 pm said:

oh this game is for the ps4,might get it as soon as i get a ps4 myself.but the game looks really interesting

+ narwhalSTAB on June 9th, 2014 at 8:02 pm said:

Game of the show.

+ RyuZX on June 9th, 2014 at 8:04 pm said:

This looks awesome. Can’t wait!

+ AnoyoIkari on June 9th, 2014 at 8:07 pm said:

No Man’s Sky and Metal Gear Solid V are definetly my favorite games of the conference. This game looks so breath taking and deep. I simply cannot wait to try it.

+ Random_H-bomb on June 9th, 2014 at 8:12 pm said:

You guys are definitely on my radar with this game. It looks amazing, and I’m really happy that it’s coming to PS4!

+ Shinlucifeh on June 9th, 2014 at 8:13 pm said:

This game is what made this E3 a success IMO, the rest was expected, when can i pre-order this?

+ AverageJake on June 9th, 2014 at 8:14 pm said:

Insta-buy! So looking forward to this.

+ Nuntius-Gris on June 9th, 2014 at 8:15 pm said:

Will this game be available for PS3?

The moment I saw the “Discovered by…” message I instantly understood the idea of the game, and was also instantly hooked! Hope to be able to play it the day it get’s to the market :D

+ enricofg_ on June 9th, 2014 at 8:30 pm said:

I am so so excited for this game, wish you guys would tell us the release date so I can get a little less anxious.

+ Amnalehu on June 9th, 2014 at 8:37 pm said:

This game looks incredible. I will pre-order/buy it as soon as it becomes available. So glad to see that they recovered from the flooding.

+ oo7PorscheMGS on June 9th, 2014 at 8:43 pm said:

Oh WOW. WOW! This game stole the show for me….STEP aside Warhawk, STEP aside Colony Wars (oh wait..you already did years ago for some reason……..), this game blows them all away!!!! No reason for nerves when you have a game this unique and good looking, and a game developer who is smart enough to use something so simple yet underused as COLORS in their game. Way to stand out and show some other game developers how to do something differently for once, can’t wait to fly it myself.

Pretty EPIC scope for this game by the way especially considering the last game was Joe Danger!! :) Don’t get me wrong, my nephews loved Joe Danger but little Joe would need to wear 100 helmets to handle this game!! :P Is your team bigger now?

Definitely keeping BOTH eyes on this! ;)

PS: I’m actually more interested in the 1 player beauty this could be, but I also have to ask because it would be sick too……multiplayer? And release date end of this year (wishful thinking I know) or spring / summer / fall of 2015??

+ NiroTheGreat on June 9th, 2014 at 8:52 pm said:

I have been waiting anxiously for any news on this game! I love the new trailer. I cannot wait for it! Any hint on a release date?

+ DraftD on June 9th, 2014 at 8:55 pm said:

This game has project morpheus written all over it.

+ Conall-Star on June 9th, 2014 at 8:58 pm said:

Holy Hell! stunning. can’t wait to hear more about this game and the scope of the procedural elements!!

+ Conall-Star on June 9th, 2014 at 8:59 pm said:

@20…. THIS! (PLEASE make this work with morpheus!!!)

+ oo7PorscheMGS on June 9th, 2014 at 9:01 pm said:

@20 agreed…..they need to make this game HUGE, even bigger than it seems now. Morpheus support of THIS game would blow away not just everyone in the game industry but everyone who lays eyes on it. Do it SONY!

+ obsolete_88 on June 9th, 2014 at 9:05 pm said:

This is a great E3 full of wonderful games, and yet again, No Man’s Sky swoops in and steals the show. I cannot wait to get my hands on this game!

+ Einhander138 on June 9th, 2014 at 9:05 pm said:

Looking forward to buying this – as a physical release.

Otherwise? NO SALE.

+ hdcase on June 9th, 2014 at 9:10 pm said:

This game looks amazing, but I bet it would look even more amazing through a Project Morpheus HMD!!!

+ Lt_Dan_Zsu on June 9th, 2014 at 9:15 pm said:

I seriously can’t wait for this game. This is in the top 5 for things I’m most excited for with games. I’m happy to see I’ll be able to play it on my ps4!

+ Jewbot9000 on June 9th, 2014 at 9:20 pm said:

Game sold, thank you. This has me more excited than anything aside from Battlefield.

+ Jewbot9000 on June 9th, 2014 at 9:22 pm said:

Ack, and there’s no edit! I meant Battlefront.

+ spacemonkeyham on June 9th, 2014 at 9:34 pm said:

So ambitious it seems impossible to make it work . . . but I look forward to being proven wrong!

+ USRevenge2 on June 9th, 2014 at 10:31 pm said:

I truly want this game. must buy. but please, tell us more about what we can do. can we fight other players for example? if so is this only if we want to or is it like eve and you get attacked whether you like it or not.

what happens if you die? can you upgrade or buy new ships? can we get friends to play with us? can we get friendly NPCs to join us? etc etc etc.

+ BrandonTavis on June 9th, 2014 at 10:48 pm said:

I just wanted to congratulate you on a fantastic showing, and wish you well in the months (and possibly longer) ahead.

Your game is a promise that gamers everywhere have been dreaming about since our childhood (Atari 2600 for me). I sincerely hope that, for your sake and ours, you can live up to that promise, keep fighting when challenges arise, and put out a product that you can be proud of, that is well received, and puts you on your way to an even larger following on projects well in to the future.

Well done, Sean (and you did look a little nervous, kind sir… but you most certainly came off as humble and likable, and those are the qualities that keep us rooting and following you guys/gals here in consumer-land). :)

Take care and best of luck.

+ Welmosca on June 10th, 2014 at 12:03 am said:

It was great to see this game at the conference…very promising,game has potential…I will sure keep my eyes on this one.Good job hello games.

+ Khoury on June 10th, 2014 at 12:55 am said:

Game of the show without a doubt

+ r8rangel on June 10th, 2014 at 1:21 am said:

day 1 buy would love to see this come out soon…

+ Rainwater on June 10th, 2014 at 3:45 am said:

Looks good but I’m concerned that it’s overly ambitious, especially for a small team. I’d also like a clear description of what the actual gameplay is going to be like. Just wandering around exploring with occasional fights against random enemies is likely to get boring fast.

+ Nazotchi on June 10th, 2014 at 4:22 am said:

This and Grim Fandango were the only games Sony talked about that were really something special. Disappointed in the conference, but MAN am I excited for No Man’s Sky. This is everything I want to see out of a game.

+ BlaqMagiq24 on June 10th, 2014 at 5:37 am said:

This game is underdog of next gen. I’m looking forward to it!

+ Seluhir on June 10th, 2014 at 5:50 am said:

This game looks gorgeous… I just wish there was some chance of me being able to switch perspectives. I hate first person – the perspective just completely destroys my enjoyment of a game, and to see something this interesting be exclusively first person is just heartbreaking.

+ RE4LNOiZE_42 on June 10th, 2014 at 5:55 am said:

Best game of E3 so far. Hands down. I’ve read about this in a past issue of a PC gaming magazine, and it looked truly amazing. But that preview was just too awesome. Wow.

Day one purchase for me.

+ Elvick_ on June 10th, 2014 at 6:13 am said:

If there’s justice in the world, this is going to be the next huge indie game. And I can’t wait to play it! Thanks to everyone who made it coming to the PS4 possible. So excited!

+ Exadus on June 10th, 2014 at 6:46 am said:

Presentation was amazing. I would say the most innovative game at E3. Well done.

+ italodancemp3 on June 10th, 2014 at 6:46 am said:

Down with Sony

#wewillnotforgetthis

Be ready for hackers!!

+ ChaseHammerJ on June 10th, 2014 at 6:54 am said:

Cant wait to play this!

+ ascriv121 on June 10th, 2014 at 7:16 am said:

This game seems like a dream. Thank you, Hello Games, for the courage to be so ambitious. I can’t wait!

+ ckoerner on June 10th, 2014 at 7:28 am said:

Was that the “Tet”, a large tetrahedron-shaped space station from Oblivion, at the very end?

+ TLSBill on June 10th, 2014 at 7:32 am said:

To echo everyone here’s comments. Good showing, and totally looking forward to this. All the best to you & your team and i hope this turns out as good as we’re hoping. It’s tough when the hype gets too big, but I think everything you’ve done since I first saw the game looks great!

+ TomatoDragon on June 10th, 2014 at 7:56 am said:

My wife and I were in awe when we saw this.

+ Microsis on June 10th, 2014 at 9:13 am said:

Nice, I’m buying.

+ DigiOps on June 10th, 2014 at 9:37 am said:

I’ve got so much hype for this game. I can’t wait to see it all first hand.

+ Oisterboy on June 10th, 2014 at 10:20 am said:

A physical release would be wonderful!

+ Falaut on June 10th, 2014 at 11:15 am said:

Project Morpheus written all over this.

PAGE 1 2