PS4-Watch_Dogs

Ratchet & Clank Announced for PS4

Ryan Schneider's Avatar + Posted by Ryan Schneider on Jun 09, 2014 // Brand Development Director, Insomniac Games

Hey everyone,

It’s been a dream of ours for years at Insomniac to see Ratchet & Clank on the big screen. We think the entire Ratchet & Clank universe is a perfect fit for moviegoers, from our unique cast of intergalactic characters and outrageous weapons to the majestic planets and cheeky humor.

So it’s with great pride I get to announce that Insomniac will continue our involvement with the Ratchet & Clank movie while developing a game that re-imagines the original Ratchet & Clank for PS4. As was mentioned during Sony’s press conference , the game will share the film’s vision of Ratchet’s origin story, and features updated gameplay along with completely new visuals that rival the best PS4 games on the market.

Both the movie and game will be available in the first half of 2015. Our California and North Carolina studios will work on the game together – marking our deepest cross-country collaboration since the Durham studio was founded in 2009. Many of the original developers responsible for the very first Ratchet & Clank game will get an opportunity to create the stunning Solana Galaxy our fans have been clamoring for. Longtime Design Director Brian Allgeier, North Carolina Studio Director Chad Dezern and Game Director Shaun McCabe will lead the project.

I’ve been personally involved with the Ratchet & Clank movie since pre-production began. Hopefully, you had a chance to see the film trailer shown during the press conference . We are happy with how production is progressing as everything feels authentic to the spirit of Ratchet & Clank. In fact, our key characters are voiced in the movie by the same fine folks who bring them to life in our games – talented actors such as James Arnold Taylor (Ratchet), David Kaye (Clank) and Jim Ward (Qwark) reprise their famous roles while we have a surprise or two still planned. Former Insomniac scribe-turned-Hollywood screenwriter TJ Fixman wrote the Ratchet & Clank movie’s original script. Renowned award-winning Insomniac artists David Guertin and Greg Baldwin created the character concepts for some of the new creatures appearing in the film — operating under their spectacular Creaturebox label .

And former Insomniac animation director Oliver Wade is helping oversee animation production at Rainmaker Entertainment.

We can’t wait to show you more from both the game and the movie. Expect to catch your first glimpse of the PS4 Ratchet & Clank game this fall – follow us on our social channels below to learn more. In the meantime, we hope you’ve polished off Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus or are brushing up on the PS2 classic games through the HD Collection on PlayStation 3 . Of course, you can also get your Ratchet & Clank fix on PS Vita via the HD Trilogy starting this July.

Thanks for stopping by, and as always, you can ping Insomniac via our Facebook page or Twitter .

60 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ Ecks on June 9th, 2014 at 7:45 pm said:

I’ve always loved Ratchet & Clank, and am lookign forward to the movie. I’ll pick up the remake too, but a bit disappointed it isn’t a new game.

+ Warp1280 on June 9th, 2014 at 7:48 pm said:

Please don’t tell me this is a reboot. You’re not going to get rid of Ratchet’s history and start over, are you?

+ cano74 on June 9th, 2014 at 7:52 pm said:

I can’t wait for the movie and now this remake to come out! I love this series, and I hope we get an original instalment for the PS4.

Will the HD Trilogy be cross-buy?

+ TJF588 on June 9th, 2014 at 7:55 pm said:

Tidus on the big screen… Don’t know if my body is ready!

+ Mobius2525 on June 9th, 2014 at 7:56 pm said:

I wonder if this game will be based on the movie?

+ Viewtiful_Gene on June 9th, 2014 at 8:00 pm said:

Looking forward to the movie!

+ RyuZX on June 9th, 2014 at 8:01 pm said:

I’d rather have Sunset Overdrive than this, Insomniac.

+ MYAIRSPACE on June 9th, 2014 at 8:04 pm said:

The first PlayStation game I’ve ever played, and my entrance into the PlayStation nation. I’ve loved the series ever since the beginning! Keep it up!

+ Elvick_ on June 9th, 2014 at 8:18 pm said:

I can’t wait to see what this game looks like on PS4, it’ll be glorious.

I just hope that the series isn’t over with this one. Or I hope that that the series doesn’t continue off from this point. I want more from after the Future trilogy and Into the Nexus. With characters we already know and love.

+ Deadpoolian on June 9th, 2014 at 8:23 pm said:

This is very exciting news!

+ Teflon02 on June 9th, 2014 at 8:26 pm said:

Ratchet HD on Vita, what’s the NA release date exactly so I know if I should pre-order now or mid july?

+ Teflon02 on June 9th, 2014 at 8:29 pm said:

Also I’m glad Ratchet will be on PS4, I literally got the 2 games from PS E3 I was hoping for.
Just before Sony’s E3 I was saying if they have either a Ratchet for PS4 announcement, even without gameplay, I’m happy. If they have LittleBigPlanet 3, I’m happy. Not only did they have both, LBP is releasing Fall, GTAV, and more this year. Great year foreal.

+ Wozman23 on June 9th, 2014 at 8:38 pm said:

While a reimagining isn’t met with the same enthusiasm I’d have for a new full-fledged entry, I welcome any addition to the franchise. I really hope it’s only the first of many adventures on the PS4.

+ yowzagabowza on June 9th, 2014 at 8:39 pm said:

No. I dont want anymore freakin remakes! Would it kill you to make a new game for ps4?

+ xClayMeow on June 9th, 2014 at 9:23 pm said:

Will the R&C HD Collection on Vita have the remastered game that PS4 is getting?

+ Thane_of_Fife on June 9th, 2014 at 9:28 pm said:

I hope you throw in competitve multiplayer somehow, perhaps remaster UYA’s mutlplayer with this game’s maps?
I’d buy a ps3 in an instance if this was the case.

+ Thane_of_Fife on June 9th, 2014 at 9:28 pm said:

PS4***

+ One_Ub3r-Sausage on June 9th, 2014 at 9:41 pm said:

The character design looks terrible, why wouldn’t they at least reference it from A Crack In Time?

+ jgr9 on June 9th, 2014 at 9:49 pm said:

Still can’t figure out if this is a new game or a remake of the first game… ?

And did you get Neil Flynn, the voice of the Plumber in the original series, back?
Then the plumber would really be back. ;P

+ EddieTwoShoes on June 9th, 2014 at 9:55 pm said:

As a fan/expert on the Ratchet & Clank series, I’m really excited for the movie and the PS4 remake, but what I aiming for the HD Trilogy for the PSVita! I hope to see the movie sooner than I hoped! :D

+ Benzitor on June 9th, 2014 at 10:28 pm said:

Ratchet remake on ps4 and no news or trailer of ratchet hd on vita…
Well
“We won’t forget”

+ PS_man1984 on June 9th, 2014 at 11:06 pm said:

So this is the first videogame movie that’s handled completely by the original creators. No producers and directors that know nothing about the series, right?

+ Hakumen__ on June 9th, 2014 at 11:08 pm said:

I hope to hear and watch more about the PS Vita HD trilogy.

+ darkhairwarrior on June 9th, 2014 at 11:46 pm said:

It really is astounding how many people believe this is just an HD port. It’s a full remake people, built from the ground up for PS4.

+ supvic on June 9th, 2014 at 11:55 pm said:

So how about a sale on Into the Nexus to celebrate?

+ Welmosca on June 10th, 2014 at 12:00 am said:

Really love Ratchet both the character and the games….but would really love that Ratchet was handed over to another dev,a Sony dev.

Eager to see the movie.

+ Kchow23 on June 10th, 2014 at 12:05 am said:

I am surprised at how good the movie is shaping up! I hope it really does turn out to be a good movie based on a video game :)

+ ReZ_ExT-_- on June 10th, 2014 at 1:26 am said:

Please don’t tel me he only games you guys are gonna make for PS4 now are reboot ratchet and clank games :( we want brand new IP

+ ReZ_ExT-_- on June 10th, 2014 at 1:30 am said:

resistence 4 :D

+ KrazyK095 on June 10th, 2014 at 2:28 am said:

I have no idea why people are being so negative about this; they’re not just sticking R&C1 in 1080p and switching up a few things. This will be like a full new game with some similarities, but more a reworking of the origin story to fit the film, made by some of the original devs.
I also think the movie looks fantastic, art style and all. What’s good for the games isn’t always good for a movie. The tweaks they’ve made fit the animation perfectly and don’t take away from the characters the slightest bit.
And finally, saying “how about a sale to celebrate” has always sounded incredibly rude and cheeky to me. They’re working hard on a new game for you and you just demand them to lower their prices on the previous game?

Sorry for the rant but the comment sections of these blogs are just ridiculous sometimes…

+ hotandserious on June 10th, 2014 at 3:48 am said:

Ratchet and Clank PS4 made the entire conference worthwhile.
Can’t wait!

+ iREVOLTER on June 10th, 2014 at 4:33 am said:

More Ratchet is a good thing!

p.s: Now Sony bring back Jak and Crash on PS4!!!

+ racing_sloth on June 10th, 2014 at 5:02 am said:

OMG! I can’t wait! Thank you Sony and Insomniac for the new movie and game coming soon!

+ sekaniy on June 10th, 2014 at 5:27 am said:

I think you guys are an integral part action/3D/platformer to Sony. You are on 3 gens of Sony systems! I think for R&C fans like us, you should go all out. Like create a new Trilogy. I feel ACiT was the best polished and story driven game you delivered in the series. You can do so much more with PS4!
Just like you had a fan contest for a gun for ACiT, do something for a fan written story for the universe! It can at least spark some ideas.
Again I appreciate you guys still know a lot of us want fantasy sci-fi still, and something whole family can enjoy. I hope ND takes note so they can give us more J&D also!

+ KnightRid on June 10th, 2014 at 5:38 am said:

I love Ratchet and Clank! Don’t know if I will waste money on the Vita versions or not. I did waste the money on the Vita itself so maybe….doubtful but maybe.

Biggest question of them all – will it also be available on the PS3? I still have zero reasons to buy a PS4. God of War made me jump from PS2 to PS3 sooooo……….

KrazyK095 – I understand the negativity because I have heard from a lot of people that bought the PS4 that there are just no games other than indy stuff, remakes or sequels. I think after almost a year there should be a lot more exclusive fresh games and there are not. Fanboi or not you have to be getting frustrated with the lack of anything for this expensive new console that is so awesome (ummm so why does everything have to strive for 60fps when it should be so awesome they have to strive for 120fps – yea..next topic) that Sony is saying how great the sales are but if you listen to people who have it, they are not as excited any more.

Maybe its just me being a negative charlie but I really hope Ratchet and Clank can wake up this dog of a “nex-gen” system.

+ Elvick_ on June 10th, 2014 at 6:11 am said:

@35: You realize how dumb that is right? Clearly there is something you want on PS4, this game. Otherwise you wouldn’t be port begging for it already.

Either buy a PS4, or do without it. Simple.

And it’s not almost a year.

+ RE4LNOiZE_42 on June 10th, 2014 at 6:32 am said:

To those excited about R&C trilogy on Vita, the Vita version is handled by the same team (Mass Media) that did the abysmal port of the Jak & Daxter collection to the Vita. So don’t pre-order yet. I think it’s preferable to wait for the reviews on this one, given how poorly the J&D collection was handled, with its framerate issues and absolutely no support from the developper to fix this up.

I’m still looking forward to that collection, as I LOVE the Ratchet & Clank games, but it would be an EPIC letdown if the vita release ends up as bad as the Jak & Daxter one.

+ TLSBill on June 10th, 2014 at 7:18 am said:

A great game series becomes a movie, and the movie gets a movie tie-in game? I’m always leery of tie-in games, but I have faith in Insomniac.

Now that you guys mentioned it, yeah, why isn’t there a full ratchet collection on Vita? I bought mine for Borderlands, but would play them. I can’t use any of the PSP ones cause they’re disc.

+ m_Madruguinha08 on June 10th, 2014 at 7:51 am said:

Thank you everyone at Insomniac! As a fan of the series I am thrilled you guys are making such an epic job on an amazing looking Ratchet and Clank movie.

But the announcement of the game is even greater news for me! I’ve been longing for an announcement of a new Ratchet and Clank game for PS4 since the console’s release. And to know that this will be a remake and not just a remaster is great!

Even though I won’t be able to enjoy Sunset Overdrive because of not having the console to play it, I wish you guys at Insomniac the best! All of your Ratchet and Clank games (seriously I enjoyed All 4 One too) have been a blast to play. From the story, humor, visuals, controls, and simple focus on epic fun, your games always have it all. And I know Sunset Overdrive and new Ratchet and Clank won’t be any different.

+ Raquor on June 10th, 2014 at 7:54 am said:

Can’t we leave Ratchet and Clank 1 to Playstation Now and have an actual brand new game? I’m tired of the ports and remakes. I don’t just want the same characters on the new system, I want a new story for the characters to play in! The vita is already a port machine which is disappointing, let’s avoid turning the PS4 into that as well.

+ I_Be_Trollin_69 on June 10th, 2014 at 8:12 am said:

Wow, A article about a HD remaster of the first Rachet & Clank coming to the PS4 but just make a single sentence in the end to announce that an HD Collection for the Vita in the U.S, I would have missed that if I didn’t bothered to read all the way to the end. I hope there’s a bigger article about this soon and get people excited to buy it.

+ ghostehkins on June 10th, 2014 at 8:41 am said:

I’m excited! My only request is that they fix Ratchet’s look. Bring back ACiT and ditch the anorexic rat look in the movie. :/

+ Pashmina626 on June 10th, 2014 at 9:59 am said:

Any chance the remastered version of the game for ps4 will be released on psvita since I don’t have ps4?.

+ Teflon02 on June 10th, 2014 at 10:26 am said:

Remaster – Adjustments to the original game to upgrade visuals
Remake – Rebuild the entire game
Reimagining – A new game based off the same premise
Ys Celceta was a Ys IV reimagining, look at how different the games are though

+ Kayvin353 on June 10th, 2014 at 1:50 pm said:

j’espère qu’il y aura dr nefarious il est epic comme méchant :p

+ Iamed8 on June 10th, 2014 at 2:40 pm said:

Looks like I have to triple plat Ratchet & Clank!

+ AZV_4th on June 10th, 2014 at 2:54 pm said:

Damn you Insomniac. I’m barely holding out here. I can’t get a PS4, and could barely handle that, even more with InFamous: Second Son on it. Then Naughty Dog, another of the greatest developers plans to release a game on it.

And now you, the final side to the PlayStation triangle of awesome, my favorite developer ever?

Insomniac, I love you guys, but you’re killing me here. You’re taking Razor Claws to my heart, and proceeding to beat it to dust with a Mega Walloper.

+ NinjaMicWZ on June 11th, 2014 at 3:53 pm said:

Will we be getting a physical release of Ratchet & Clank trilogy on Vita in the US? If not, is the UK release going to be an actual physical game card, or just a download code in a box like Minecraft is?

I will check back for an answer, please let me know, if you can. Thank you.

+ NinjaMicWZ on June 11th, 2014 at 8:12 pm said:

I just remembered I also need to know if the physical UK release will be all 3 games on the game card, because if any of it is a download code (like Sly 3 was), I won’t be able to redeem it on my US account.

If it is like that, please just do a US physical release. Pretty please :(

+ a4445342 on June 12th, 2014 at 6:16 am said:

My idea for the team of insomniac is “All for One 2″… Remember… after Lawrence said on the ship and Nefarius look on the picture and then… a new adventure come soon…

PAGE 1 2