PS4 - Transistor

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition Coming to PS4 on July 1st

Matthew Johns's Avatar + Posted by Matthew Johns on Jun 19, 2014 // Production Assistant, Drinkbox Studios

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

Hello friends! Matt from DrinkBox Studios here with a big news announcement. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition is coming to PS4 on July 1st for $14.99.

For those not in the know, we released the original Guacamelee last April for PS3 and PS Vita. As it turns out, a lot of you enjoyed playing as luchadors Juan and Tostada, punching skeletons and platforming through a magical, Mexican-inspired world to save El Presidente’s Daughter from Carlos Calaca and his gang of minions.

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition has all the great action from the original game, including both the costume and Infierno DLC, and we’ve added a bunch of new content to enhance your Guac experience.

Some things we’ve added: more words to the title, an extra save slot, new costumes, creepy hanging dolls, two extra levels, new and improved enemies, another save slot, a new dimension-switching ability called “Shadow Swap,” chicken egg bombs, an NPC with an impossibly large head, and a power called INTENSO.

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship EditionGuacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

We’ve also added a new boss, El Trio, a.k.a. “Terrible Trio.” They are a three-headed skeleton in charge of assembling Carlos Calaca’s army of skeletons from a skeleton factory inside a volcano. El Trio appears in a few areas in the game to throw new enemy prototypes in your path and a few new puns as well.

El Trio were a musical quartet back in the land of the Living, but the lead singer, named Pedro, went missing and never appeared in the land of the Dead. Longing to be reunited with their missing band member, El Trio and Carlos Calaca made a deal: Calaca would help them find Pedro in exchange for a skeleton army. Will they ever produce enough skeletons to fulfill their end of the bargain?

Talk to us about #GuacSTCE in the comments or here on Twitter. We hope you like it!

PAGE 1 2

+ Mononon on June 19th, 2014 at 6:04 am said:

Is there any sort of incentive for me to buy this again if I already bought it once? I’d be fine paying for the extra content, but I’m not fine paying full price again. =\

Matthew Johns's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on June 19th, 2014 at 6:21 am said:

Our preference would be to offer an incentive for owners of the original Guacamelee!(PS3/PSVita), but just trying to determine if this will be possible for us. We’ll post info as soon as we know.

+ Mercenary09 on June 19th, 2014 at 6:07 am said:

Since it is coming out on July 1st which is the same day we will be getting our free July PS Plus games will this be one of them I wonder? I hope so!

+ Zionine on June 19th, 2014 at 6:09 am said:

I second @1. Is there some sort of discount for those who purchased the Vita/PS3 version? (Maybe somehow sort the ones who got it free from PS Plus — although I think that was EU now that I mention it..) I bought it Day 1 cause of excitement and ended up enjoying it more than Soul Sacrifice which was the main game of last April/May.

Matthew Johns's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on June 19th, 2014 at 6:23 am said:

Buying our games on Day 1 is a huge support for the studio! Thanks :)

+ Critosis on June 19th, 2014 at 6:09 am said:

Ill gladly pay for it again :D

+ CapJSheridan on June 19th, 2014 at 6:10 am said:

Yeah, I paid for the Vita version, I’m not too excited to pay for it again. Cross Buy?

+ Sonny on June 19th, 2014 at 6:14 am said:

I still get nervous just thinking about treetops, but I’m definitely getting this for PS4. And uh… Bit Bazaar!

+ Vilens on June 19th, 2014 at 6:17 am said:

Will there be an upgrade if we already own this?

Matthew Johns's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on June 19th, 2014 at 6:29 am said:

We’re trying to have an incentive, we think it’s only fair.

+ Patsrule0316 on June 19th, 2014 at 6:17 am said:

I paid for it on the Vita. Probably my favorite game I have on the Vita. I don’t think I’ll buy it for full price, but if it gets a sale, I’ll probably buy it again for PS4.

+ Zionine on June 19th, 2014 at 6:27 am said:

Not only did I buy it Day 1, but I bought the DLCs on Day 1 as well.. and still currently hold a 100% on the game, I believe. :D It’s just such a fun game and great nod to old Metroid games and the TMNT games that were also like Metroid/Mega-man.

+ JimmyHACK on June 19th, 2014 at 6:31 am said:

I know you recently did the Mutant Blobs upgrade option. So maybe something here….. But honestly I am fine with full price and playing this again with the new content. So so happy to play this again! So ready to play this July 1st!! (Thank you for the release date announce with minimal time until release!!)

+ aj0522 on June 19th, 2014 at 6:33 am said:

Great another re-release of a PS3/Vita game for my PS4.

Matthew Johns's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on June 19th, 2014 at 6:36 am said:

Don’t forget the new content we’ve added to the game; levels, abilities and enemies. :)

+ LarsenNET on June 19th, 2014 at 6:37 am said:

Is the trophy list going to be the same with a few extras or will it be completely different?

+ ICantFeelMyFace9 on June 19th, 2014 at 6:38 am said:

Going to Platinum this bad boy jus like I did the Ps3 very.
Did you all do anything different to the trophies in this version?

Matthew Johns's Avatar

+ Graham Smith on June 19th, 2014 at 6:52 am said:

Yes, the trophies are VERY different. We kept a few of our favs, but changed a ton.

+ mclaren777 on June 19th, 2014 at 6:41 am said:

I would buy this on Day One if I could import my save from the PS3 version.

With no upgrade path, I don’t see myself ever buying it.

+ wwwdotjames on June 19th, 2014 at 6:41 am said:

Will be a great game however I still can’t download Pixel Junk Shooter… Can someone please tell me why?

+ MrSonicHog on June 19th, 2014 at 6:53 am said:

Yes! Day 1!, Finally I can continue to play this game, but let me be “that guy” who says all the obvious stuff that everyone is thinking.
Actually I’m not going to mention anything about incentives for people like myself who have purchased the oriiginal since that has been talked about.
My main question is there a PS VIta version, this kind of game is a perfect fit for the system and Honestly Sony isn’t giving it the love it deserves.
Other than that I can’t wait July first to come soon enough!

Matthew Johns's Avatar

+ Matthew Johns on June 19th, 2014 at 7:08 am said:

Sadly, we will not be releasing Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition on the Vita along with the PS4. You never know about the future though

+ Sneeches on June 19th, 2014 at 6:57 am said:

If there’s a discounted price for those of us that bought the ps3/vita version then I’m all over this. Otherwise I’ll wait for it to go on sale.

Awesome game though, keep the good stuff coming guys!!!

+ oshkoshbagosh1 on June 19th, 2014 at 6:57 am said:

If itit has obline co op id get it otherwise ehhh

+ Amiculi on June 19th, 2014 at 7:19 am said:

Glad to see you’re looking into ways to incentivize for current owners. I was a day one buyer and had the platinum trophy within 2 days. I couldn’t put it down and enjoyed every minute of it.

I would probably do that again with the right price range.

+ KidGreengene on June 19th, 2014 at 7:26 am said:

Very fun game that I got on a sale for the Vita. I am very much for supporting studios that love to make the games that I love to play so have no problem buying this July 1st.

+ xClayMeow on June 19th, 2014 at 7:45 am said:

Got Plat on Vita. Beat it again on Steam.

Best side-scrolling platformer since SMB3!

If you own a PS4 and haven’t played this yet for some inexplicable reason, this should be a day one purchase.

+ Amir_G_M_US on June 19th, 2014 at 7:54 am said:

Why don’t we get to see more news about the Vita???

it’s really disappointing that my Vita is literally on a retirement.

I don’t want to see cross-buys, but more exclusives, more games that were made and visualised for the PS VITA

Please Sony stop it with PS4.. I don’t get to see any news about the Vita this is just ridiculous

+ Rezolution77 on June 19th, 2014 at 8:07 am said:

Bought Strangers Wrath at Full price.
Bought Guacamelee at half price, fortunately, since it is such a short game with little replay value.

But since I played both through to completion, they are better than quite a few others.

Not thrilled your team rereleased with No Crossbuy though, and a bunus package like Tales would probably be the same as the DLC that was cheaply left out.

That type of marketing has alot to be desired.

+ xClayMeow on June 19th, 2014 at 8:22 am said:

@Rezolution77 (23), What are you even talking about? Guacamelee has more hours than most games – roughly ten hours for one playthrough if you go for 100%, and that doesn’t count the DLC (which will be included in this), which adds replay value.

+ spacemonkeyham on June 19th, 2014 at 8:50 am said:

Such an outstanding game. I can’t think of one I’ve enjoyed more in the past three years!

+ fededonna2 on June 19th, 2014 at 8:54 am said:

Cool, I was waiting for this edition since I didn’t buy the original one. Graham, Is it going to be cross buy?

+ PainOfSarrow on June 19th, 2014 at 9:12 am said:

got this for 5 bucks. its ah good game and worth it.

+ iamtylerdurden1 on June 19th, 2014 at 9:16 am said:

@ 15 – i know it’s not the ideal place to mention this, but after i downloaded Pixel Junk Shooters Ultimate on my Vita first i couldn’t/can’t download it on my PS4 now. Every time i try to download it on my PS4 it says “error”. Obviously others r having the same problem.

+ Sharingan_itachi on June 19th, 2014 at 9:31 am said:

What about Vita?

+ MATTLOJO on June 19th, 2014 at 9:33 am said:

Guacamelee was easily one of my favorite games of last year. The controls are perfect and the challenge was just right, not to mention the spot on art design and humor! Thank you for making such a great game! I bought it for PS3/Vita day one so any incentive to current owners of Guacamelee (like myself) would be great!

+ AmericanNinja1 on June 19th, 2014 at 9:40 am said:

Cross-buy?

+ KrescentSpiral on June 19th, 2014 at 9:46 am said:

I’ve been waiting for this updated version, but am bummed it’s not playable on the Vita as the original was. Looks great though.

+ FearMonkey on June 19th, 2014 at 9:57 am said:

And here I thought Guacamelee Gold was gong to be the ultimate edition. How many times do I have to buy this game? T_T

+ djsaiyan on June 19th, 2014 at 10:00 am said:

Totally going to pick this up for my PS4. Already beaten it on PS3/Vita, but you know what? It’s a great game and worth playing again.

Also I can’t help but support my fellow Torontonians. =)

+ Keiser-One on June 19th, 2014 at 10:11 am said:

The DLC would be most welcome for Vita. All the people who purchased it there deserve it.

+ badmansam on June 19th, 2014 at 10:24 am said:

I hope there is some incentive or cross buy option. I have both the PS3 and Vita versions and would love to play the extra content but I wouldn’t pay again for the same game.

+ stpfarms on June 19th, 2014 at 11:32 am said:

I am stuck on Hard beating the Scarecrow. How do I beat him its so hard?!!!!

+ toothdecaykills on June 19th, 2014 at 11:35 am said:

That’s Canada Day!

You should release it with some kind of Canadian costume ;)

+ LumarQQ on June 19th, 2014 at 11:35 am said:

Was a Day 1 buyer for the original, and will be Day 1 for this, incentive or not.

Go Raptors! ;)

+ plaztiksyke on June 19th, 2014 at 11:44 am said:

can we import our saves from the PS3/Vita version? I totally get that cross-save isn’t possible due to all the new levels, etc but would really like to be able to do New Game+ with my existing luchadors.

the soundtrack for the original was great. is there any additional music? are the assets on PS4 24-bit/lossless?

any use of the DualShock 4′s speaker or touchpad?

will the Orb in the treetops be any easier to get? (I assume that’s where the one orb we didn’t get is.) we loved the game, but got super frustrated as we tried to get that last orb. I felt the rest of the game balanced being challenging, but not punishing.

will Vita cross-controller support work on PS4? we used it on PS3 quite a bit. it would be really cool if we could use our Vita to do remote co-op in the PS4 version.

will the internal rendering be at more than 1080p for better super-sampling like other vector games?

can we play the main campaign as the female luchador? would be cool the have the option of saving your GLBT girlfriend instead of the standard hetero romance trope :)

Matthew Johns's Avatar

+ Matthew Johns on June 19th, 2014 at 12:14 pm said:

There’s no cross-save between the old (PS3/PS Vita) and new (PS4) game because we’ve changed a bunch of different story elements. Cross-saving between these versions would break a lot of things!

There is some new music in the new areas, but we mostly stuck with the old soundtrack.

We don’t use the speaker on the DualShock 4. The touchpad brings up the minimap, but there’s no real touch functionality beyond that.

We’ve updated the art a bit in the Treetops section. The orb is still difficult to get there. Jaguar will be a bit easier thanks to the Intenso power.

You will be able to use your Vita as a controller when it’s synced up with your PS4.

I’m not sure about the internal rendering, but the game does run at 1080p.

Once you hit the first save point in the game, you’ll be able to switch to Tostada, the lady luchador. With two players, you can play as identical Tostadas :p

+ NoGodsOnlyMan on June 19th, 2014 at 11:46 am said:

Liked this game a lot, but I would prefer a new game from these guys.

RIP vita :(

Matthew Johns's Avatar

+ Matthew Johns on June 19th, 2014 at 12:15 pm said:

Thanks! The Vita is a great system. We’d love to do another game on it.

+ DraazWrath on June 19th, 2014 at 12:14 pm said:

Anyone know if this will be cross buy with vita cause if it is I’m buying this for sure

Matthew Johns's Avatar

+ Matthew Johns on June 19th, 2014 at 12:20 pm said:

Unfortunately, you won’t be able to buy Super Turbo on the Vita as it’s only being released on PS4 on July 1st.

+ Linseed4 on June 19th, 2014 at 12:37 pm said:

Hey, screw you, Sony. You don’t make blog posts about dropping first party support on the Vita, do you?

+ jamesearlgraves on June 19th, 2014 at 12:41 pm said:

It’s clear the game looks good. The question is which system do I get it for because I don’t have the original. A cross-buy would have made that an automatic yes. Paying full price for new content IS kinda… jerky right? I mean that’s some Microsoft $#!T right there This is supposed to be PSN. The greatest place to play! Remember what Katey Sagal said on Sons of Anarchy; “bad $#!t happens to greedy whores”

P.S. – dear moderators, please advise if the above referenced matter breaks any no swearing rules. TY

+ tusunami on June 19th, 2014 at 1:19 pm said:

Even though I already have this for ps vita and ps3 I will buy this again but going forward if we already own a game then a complete edition comes out I think its only fair that we get a discount or something since we supported you.

+ khaosklub on June 19th, 2014 at 1:36 pm said:

so… any chance of this version or at least the extra levels coming to PS3?
wouldn’t mind some more PS3 DLC for this game, or even a stand alone sequel!

Matthew Johns's Avatar

+ Matthew Johns on June 19th, 2014 at 2:45 pm said:

No plans yet. It would be very difficult to make it available as DLC since we changed a lot of the story around.

+ poodude on June 19th, 2014 at 3:46 pm said:

Oh my God, yes! Guacamelee is one of the best games I’ve played in a while – will definitely double dip for the PS4 version.

+ iamtylerdurden1 on June 19th, 2014 at 4:31 pm said:

Congrats Drinkbox i wouldn’t mind seeing u do a bigger game again i thought Starhawk was very fun and highly underrated i honestly enjoyed the single-player as well as the awesome multiplayer. Imo Starhawk was more innovative and better than titanfall i loved the western scifi/space theme. Even though Starhawk didn’t hit the #’s you would’ve liked it was a quality game and now with back to back successes including the juggernaut known as “Guacamelee” you have clearly proven yourself as a crown jewel in Sony’s encrusted sombrero.

Matthew Johns's Avatar

+ Matthew Johns on June 20th, 2014 at 7:07 am said:

Thanks! But Starhawk was LightBox not us :p

+ BanzaiHeil on June 19th, 2014 at 5:08 pm said:

Honestly, I enjoyed the original version so much that I’d rebuy it day 1 if that’s all it was. I got the plat on both PS3 and Vita. Really looking forward to being caught off guard by the changes.

PAGE 1 2