GTAV PS4

PS Plus: July’s Free Game Lineup Goes Live Tuesday

Kristine Steimer's Avatar + Posted by Kristine Steimer on Jun 25, 2014 // Sr. Community Specialist

This month, PlayStation Plus members can download Towerfall Ascension and Strider on PlayStation 4. Towerfall Ascension is a great excuse to invite a few friends over for an evening of fierce fun and local competition. It features simple mechanics, but it’ll take some time to master shooting and catching arrows, head stomping and strategically using power ups. Our second PS4 game is Strider, a reboot of one of gaming’s most renowned action series. As you aim to assassinate a heavily guarded target, you’ll employ a plethora of cyber-ninja skills and upgrades you collect along the way.

On PS3 we have the critically acclaimed action-horror title Dead Space 3 and a physics puzzle game called Vessel. Dead Space 3 continues the story of Issac Clarke and his constant run-ins with the freaky Church of Unitology and their Necromorphs. A new co-op mode is a nice addition to the franchise, and playing with a friend will unlock some exclusive content. If you enjoy puzzle games, try out Vessel – a title with an incredible liquid physics engine. Each puzzle requires you to think about the properties of various forms of liquid, whether it’s lava and steam or chemicals, in order to minimize the threat of chaotic robots you created.

Finally, on PS Vita Plus members get Muramasa Rebirth and Doki-Doki Universe. Muramasa Rebirth is one of the prettiest games on Vita, with equally lovely backdrops and boss designs. You’ll hack and slash via two different characters’ perspectives, a possessed princess and fugitive ninja, and you can craft consumables as well as new swords. Then there’s the unique experience of Doki-Doki Universe, where you’ll explore the universe as an adorable robot appropriately named QT3. As you investigate what humanity means, the game will track your decisions and develop a personality profile, so you’ll actually learn more about yourself as you play.

Since all these games will be free for PS Plus members starting next Tuesday, July 1st, we will wrap any additional Plus updates into our weekly Store post each Tuesday.

July PlayStation Plus Preview

Become a PlayStation Plus member

TowerFall Ascension

TowerFall Ascension (PS4)

Free for PS Plus members

TowerFall Ascension is the definitive version of the hit archery combat game. Inspired by classics from the golden age of couch multiplayer, it’s a local party game centering around hilarious, intense versus matches. The core mechanics are simple and accessible, but hard to master and combat is fierce. Loot treasure chests for game-changing power-ups, master the art of catching arrows out of the air, or descend on your foes and stomp them into submission. TowerFall is best played competitively with friends, cross-legged on the floor within punching distance of each other.

Strider

Strider (PS4)

Free for PS Plus members

Strider returns in a brand new adventure, complete with incredible side-scrolling action, and lightning fast combat all in a massive interconnected world! Download the full game now and become the original assassin!

Dead Space 3

Dead Space 3 (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members

Dead Space 3 brings Isaac Clarke and merciless soldier John Carver on a journey across space to discover the source of the Necromorph outbreak. Crash-landed on the frozen planet of Tau Volantis, Isaac must comb the harsh environment for raw materials and scavenged parts. He will then put his engineering skills to the ultimate test to create and customize weapons and survival tools. Play together with a friend or alone as Isaac Clarke using the seamless new drop in, drop out co-op functionality. Each mode offers unique story elements and gameplay.

Vessel

Vessel (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members

Vessel is built on an optimized liquid simulation featuring flowing water, scalding lava and steam, reactant chemicals, glowing goo, the mysterious ‘protoplasm’, and more. Each liquid has unique properties and mixes with other liquids for dramatic effects.

Muramasa Rebirth

Muramasa Rebirth (PS Vita)

Free for PS Plus members

From master video game developer Vanillaware comes Muramasa Rebirth, an action RPG that blends the vibrant and beautiful world of Japanese mythology and high flying, fast-paced action! Enter a world where demon, samurai and other deadly enemies vie to destroy you as you search for the fabled Demon Blades. Become the possessed princess Momohime, as you travel West, or the fugitive ninja Kisuke, as you travel East, through mythical Japan battling anyone who stands in your way.

Doki Doki Universe

Doki-Doki Universe (PS Vita)

Free for PS Plus members

Embark on a journey with QT3 to discover humanity and engage with bizarre characters to learn more about them, and hopefully, learn more about yourself along the way.

This Full Game Includes:
– 18 Story Planets: Venture to uniquely themed planets such as “Brrr” or “New Hawaii” and meet an array of quirky characters
– 15 Additional Personality Quizzes: Receive personality reports by taking fun quizzes
– Doki-Doki Universe™ Starter Pack contents: Doki-Doki Mail, 16 Personality Quizzes, QT3’s Home Planet, and Tutorial Planet

We want your feedback so please take a moment to take our poll and leave us a comment below. To chat about all things related to PlayStation with a massive community of gamers, head over to the PlayStation Community Forums and make your voice heard.

PAGE 1 2 3 8

+ Valde_zerocool on June 25th, 2014 at 1:36 pm said:

Love the PS4 offerings. Is Doki Doki cross buy?

Kristine Steimer's Avatar

+ Paul Sullivan on June 25th, 2014 at 1:59 pm said:

Doki-Doki Universe is not Cross-Buy for this update.

Kristine Steimer's Avatar

+ Paul Sullivan on June 25th, 2014 at 3:08 pm said:

Apologies, but my comment that Doki-Doki is not Cross-Buy was mistaken. It *is* a Cross-Buy title. Again, apologies.

+ bball230 on June 25th, 2014 at 1:37 pm said:

It seems Europe has the Exact same lineup. Japan was similar i think. Is this a new trend of worldwide Playstation plus Instant game collections?

+ RE_Player on June 25th, 2014 at 1:37 pm said:

Awesome lineup of games. Excited to finally try TowerFall.

Kristine Steimer's Avatar

+ Paul Sullivan on June 25th, 2014 at 1:57 pm said:

TowerFall is super fun. It’s such a great couch coop experience in my opinion.

+ Brink-2-Chaos on June 25th, 2014 at 1:37 pm said:

Towerfall NIIICE forgot to pick that up lucky me

+ socksandshoes22 on June 25th, 2014 at 1:37 pm said:

Dead Space is one of my favorite series from this last gen. Glad to have the third game as a part of my collection permanently.

+ shadow_fire on June 25th, 2014 at 1:38 pm said:

Already have Towerfall, it’s a blast! Strider looks good, big platforming/action fan.

+ Zezzler on June 25th, 2014 at 1:38 pm said:

Another Great Month PS+ Team! I really like the new way of doing free games.

I know it’s probably asking a lot, but I’d really love to see Free PSone classics return, and possibly PS2 classics. Other than that, I really dig the service, keep up the great stuff!

+ Winscar_Shinobi on June 25th, 2014 at 1:38 pm said:

Aw man. This month is really good!

Also: standard make a new .hack game statement

+ Xoombie503 on June 25th, 2014 at 1:38 pm said:

Thats it????yawn

+ thesickn00b on June 25th, 2014 at 1:38 pm said:

Muramasa Rebirth is an absolutely wonderful game. Super stoked that a bunch more people who never purchased it will get to try it.

+ CapJSheridan on June 25th, 2014 at 1:38 pm said:

+ cubbielovr on June 25th, 2014 at 1:39 pm said:

I will play Towerfall Ascension (I hear it’s great). Other than that, nothing really interests me. Here’s hoping for some really good sales! Still love PS Plus though, so keep up the good work Sony.

+ ISLAND-THUNDER on June 25th, 2014 at 1:39 pm said:

Yay the lineup is much better than the past few months! I hope you guys keep this level of quality. Everyone check out Muramasa, it’s so good and needs more love.

Kristine Steimer's Avatar

+ Paul Sullivan on June 25th, 2014 at 1:59 pm said:

Thanks, and will-do.

+ kcharris on June 25th, 2014 at 1:40 pm said:

Cool Strider and Tower Fall. Now I don’t have to actually buy them :D

+ boomstickbhg on June 25th, 2014 at 1:41 pm said:

I never thought I’d say this but, Please bring back the old IGC set up!!!

As much as I didn’t like the IGC before and rarely ever got anything worth playing that I didn’t own, it was far better than now.

Going from basically a dozen + games constantly in the IGC to only 6?

On PS3/PS4 3 out of 4 games are low end cheap games. The 4th is pretty widely accepted as the worst game of the Dead Space franchise. Oh and goody, yet another horror/creepy style shooter… So much for diversity in the IGC, especially now that there’s only half as many games.

So you make Plus mandatory for PS4 members, then the next year you gut Plus. Great way to mess over your Vita and PS3 owners…

There use to be great value in plus for most people even if I wasn’t benefitting very often, now it’s arguably not even as good as Microsofts Gold (free permanent 2 per month games, etc…).

+ D-Squad3 on June 25th, 2014 at 1:41 pm said:

Thank you, will definitely play Strider and I’ve always wanted to get Dead Space 3 but always held it off. Now I can finally play it!

Dragon’s Crown should also be added!

+ IGrieverI on June 25th, 2014 at 1:41 pm said:

Daaaaaaaaaaaang, already have muramasa, awesome game, i wish they rewarded the buyers with at least a dlc of the already owned game or something like that.
Grateful for Dead Space and Strider. I don’t know the other games, will have to try them out!

+ Giga_Gaia on June 25th, 2014 at 1:42 pm said:

@2 Europe doesn’t have exact same lineup. Instead of Muramasa, they have LEGO Batman 2: DC Superheroes, which is kinda garbage compared to Muramasa.

+ Rainwater on June 25th, 2014 at 1:43 pm said:

@bball230 If so, I think that’s smart. Get rid of the whole “how come X territory gets better stuff that Y territory?” nonsense. Not the best month for me but looking forward to spending quality time with Doki Doki Universe.

+ Gillberg on June 25th, 2014 at 1:43 pm said:

Best month that I can remember

+ StingrayX on June 25th, 2014 at 1:44 pm said:

Ah Cool!

+ Mercenary09 on June 25th, 2014 at 1:44 pm said:

Was hoping that we would get a brand new PS4 game like Guacamelee. It seemed like every month we were getting a new PS4 game but now we got 2 older ones.

+ Xbox1_Sign_Out on June 25th, 2014 at 1:45 pm said:

Alright, 2 games every month.

+ ninjamant11 on June 25th, 2014 at 1:45 pm said:

More indie games for PS4…I sooooooo excited : l

+ ultratroll on June 25th, 2014 at 1:45 pm said:

@11: The games you already own are yours even when plus subscription ends, you don’t actually own games with the plus subscription, different stuff. Also, it’s like buying a game and then asking for a refund of the difference months later when it gets a discount, it would be glorious but it doesn’t really work that way.

+ Motherboop on June 25th, 2014 at 1:45 pm said:

Y’alls killed it with the July drop!!! Can’t wait for Towerfall!

+ willz639 on June 25th, 2014 at 1:46 pm said:

annnd ps4 gets the shaft again

+ agrx-legends on June 25th, 2014 at 1:46 pm said:

Great month to be a Vita owner!!! :)

+ tylerh1701 on June 25th, 2014 at 1:48 pm said:

Very very good month. Super excited for Towerfall and Strider. Vessel has been on my radar for a while too, and I wouldn’t mind checking out Doki Doki though it looks kinda weird.

Already played Muramasa but it’s a pretty good game. Still really really hoping we get Dragon’s Crown soon like EU did, if we had that this month instead of Muramasa it would have been the best month ever for me!

+ CapJSheridan on June 25th, 2014 at 1:49 pm said:

@25 actually, it would be like signing a service just to see the games you buy, later be discounted

Why sign this service then?

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on June 25th, 2014 at 1:49 pm said:

These don’t really jump out at me, but I guess it’ll give me another month to work on my backlog of games.

I might check a couple of them out eventually though. Will Doki Doki be cross-buy, as it is now for the paid version?

+ xClayMeow on June 25th, 2014 at 1:50 pm said:

Muramasa Rebirth! Woohoo!

Great month for all consoles – a big and little game for each. Perfect!

+ tylerh1701 on June 25th, 2014 at 1:50 pm said:

And I like this new style of PS Plus. Releasing at the beginning of the month is cool, and only having 6 games in the IGC at any one time is still spoiling us. Anyone who’s anyone should have a permanent PS Plus subscription so it really doesn’t matter if there is 6 or 18 games in the IGC. As someone who’s locked in to PS Plus til 2016, I make sure to add all the games to my DL queue and still get the same amount of games every year, if not more!

+ Crunchewy on June 25th, 2014 at 1:51 pm said:

Towerfall Ascension is incredibly fun, but it is definitely primarily a local multiplayer game. If you don’t have local friends/family to play with, I feel sorry for you. :) But there is some fun to be had in the single player too. It’s just not incredibly fun like the Versus mode.

+ BahumatIsBack on June 25th, 2014 at 1:52 pm said:

After the last few months of poor quality IGC games I dreaded looking at this post. It’s almost time for me to renew my PS Plus subscription and I was pretty sure I’d be letting it lapse. Some indies are great. Most aren’t. The insane amount of focus on indies across all your platforms has been very off putting to say the least. Maybe it works for the hipster wannabes out there, but not for serious gamers.

While I already own Strider + Dead Space 3, they are actually pretty good offerings for the people that haven’t tried them yet. I can do without 8-bit style games like Towerfall, I do like a good puzzle game every now and then so I’ll give Vessel a try.

As severely disappointed I am with the current state of the Vita and Sony’s total disregard for it as a gaming device in the US (Japan gets tons of games + support btw), Muramassa Rebirth is a pretty decent offering as well. I can do without Doki-Doki though. It just looks like a 3rd grader did the artwork, and before anybody says anything about “that’s the style they wanted”, it’s not a style – it just comes across as lazy and halfhearted

+ IndistinctBlur on June 25th, 2014 at 1:53 pm said:

Nice selection, my backlog will continue to pile up. ;) Are you guys working on a “My Games”-type feature for the store so we can see our PSN game libraries? I’ve got 5+ years worth of purchases, plus all the PS+ games, trying to sort through the Download List doesn’t really work…

+ ultratroll on June 25th, 2014 at 1:54 pm said:

@30 to play the games ?

+ sqaullll on June 25th, 2014 at 1:55 pm said:

Is this the new instant game collection

+ Blacq_Soul on June 25th, 2014 at 1:56 pm said:

I bought muramasa rebirth a few weeks ago. I’m a little bummed it’s free now but it’s an awesome game. loved it. also got strider for the ps4 and dead space 3 for ps3 *sigh* oh well there’s still towerfall, vessel, and doki-doki

+ snakeeyes211 on June 25th, 2014 at 1:58 pm said:

Towerfall Ascension is a snore fest of a game I’m glad all the other offerings are good if not great

+ gus_xl on June 25th, 2014 at 2:02 pm said:

Good stuff

+ auron2 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:03 pm said:

Great month for me, I don’t have any of the games :D
Also, could you please start putting inside the parentheses for each game all the platforms for which we are actually getting them if they’re cross-buy?

+ killuchun on June 25th, 2014 at 2:05 pm said:

AMAZING! Thanks for Dead Space 3! I never purchased it, so now it’s time :D!! Looking forward to try the PS4 titles as well… still obsessed with PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate!

+ MakoSoul on June 25th, 2014 at 2:05 pm said:

Strider is so awesome. I am glad everyone will get to play it. There isn’t much I’m excited for in this update, but I will try a couple of the titles. The thing I am most happy about is that Tearaway isn’t one of the Vita titles since I just bought it in the sale.

+ Chip1010 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:05 pm said:

“When will PS Plus users get some kind of compensation for already owning a game? I have Muramasa and Doki-Doki already, and even a $5 voucher per title you already own would be ok”

Never. Giving away $5 to every single customer who ever bought a game before it was in the IGC would be a disastrous business decision. Doing it six times a month … the mind reels.

+ Bloodios on June 25th, 2014 at 2:06 pm said:

Sorry, Aksys Games. It looks it’ll be quite a while longer before I order that physical copy of Muramasa Rebirth =p

+ berlaitada on June 25th, 2014 at 2:07 pm said:

How can people be happy with this lineup, this is a effin joke. Keep it up Sony, you got ahead of MS for a minute there and then you got way too cocky…what a joke.

+ snakeeyes211 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:07 pm said:

Why are the Europeans getting Doki Doki as a cross buy and we’re not?

+ ADRENALIN_101 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:08 pm said:

I would like to see these games in the US PS+

1) Red Dead Redemption – Game of the Year Edition
2) Max Payne 3
3) Darksiders 2
4) Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
5) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
6) God of War – Ascension
7) Psychonauts
8) Limbo PS3
9) L.A. Noire
10) Beyond Good and Evil HD
11) Dark Souls
12) Army of Two – The Devils Cartel
13) Last of Us

+ Amir130 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:09 pm said:

this month have really really bad games- Just Doki-Doki good . but thanks.

PAGE 1 2 3 8