PS4 - Destiny

PS Plus: July’s Free Game Lineup Goes Live Tuesday

Kristine Steimer's Avatar + Posted by Kristine Steimer on Jun 25, 2014 // Sr. Community Specialist

This month, PlayStation Plus members can download Towerfall Ascension and Strider on PlayStation 4. Towerfall Ascension is a great excuse to invite a few friends over for an evening of fierce fun and local competition. It features simple mechanics, but it’ll take some time to master shooting and catching arrows, head stomping and strategically using power ups. Our second PS4 game is Strider, a reboot of one of gaming’s most renowned action series. As you aim to assassinate a heavily guarded target, you’ll employ a plethora of cyber-ninja skills and upgrades you collect along the way.

On PS3 we have the critically acclaimed action-horror title Dead Space 3 and a physics puzzle game called Vessel. Dead Space 3 continues the story of Issac Clarke and his constant run-ins with the freaky Church of Unitology and their Necromorphs. A new co-op mode is a nice addition to the franchise, and playing with a friend will unlock some exclusive content. If you enjoy puzzle games, try out Vessel – a title with an incredible liquid physics engine. Each puzzle requires you to think about the properties of various forms of liquid, whether it’s lava and steam or chemicals, in order to minimize the threat of chaotic robots you created.

Finally, on PS Vita Plus members get Muramasa Rebirth and Doki-Doki Universe. Muramasa Rebirth is one of the prettiest games on Vita, with equally lovely backdrops and boss designs. You’ll hack and slash via two different characters’ perspectives, a possessed princess and fugitive ninja, and you can craft consumables as well as new swords. Then there’s the unique experience of Doki-Doki Universe, where you’ll explore the universe as an adorable robot appropriately named QT3. As you investigate what humanity means, the game will track your decisions and develop a personality profile, so you’ll actually learn more about yourself as you play.

Since all these games will be free for PS Plus members starting next Tuesday, July 1st, we will wrap any additional Plus updates into our weekly Store post each Tuesday.

July PlayStation Plus Preview

Become a PlayStation Plus member

TowerFall Ascension

TowerFall Ascension (PS4)

Free for PS Plus members

TowerFall Ascension is the definitive version of the hit archery combat game. Inspired by classics from the golden age of couch multiplayer, it’s a local party game centering around hilarious, intense versus matches. The core mechanics are simple and accessible, but hard to master and combat is fierce. Loot treasure chests for game-changing power-ups, master the art of catching arrows out of the air, or descend on your foes and stomp them into submission. TowerFall is best played competitively with friends, cross-legged on the floor within punching distance of each other.

Strider

Strider (PS4)

Free for PS Plus members

Strider returns in a brand new adventure, complete with incredible side-scrolling action, and lightning fast combat all in a massive interconnected world! Download the full game now and become the original assassin!

Dead Space 3

Dead Space 3 (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members

Dead Space 3 brings Isaac Clarke and merciless soldier John Carver on a journey across space to discover the source of the Necromorph outbreak. Crash-landed on the frozen planet of Tau Volantis, Isaac must comb the harsh environment for raw materials and scavenged parts. He will then put his engineering skills to the ultimate test to create and customize weapons and survival tools. Play together with a friend or alone as Isaac Clarke using the seamless new drop in, drop out co-op functionality. Each mode offers unique story elements and gameplay.

Vessel

Vessel (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members

Vessel is built on an optimized liquid simulation featuring flowing water, scalding lava and steam, reactant chemicals, glowing goo, the mysterious ‘protoplasm’, and more. Each liquid has unique properties and mixes with other liquids for dramatic effects.

Muramasa Rebirth

Muramasa Rebirth (PS Vita)

Free for PS Plus members

From master video game developer Vanillaware comes Muramasa Rebirth, an action RPG that blends the vibrant and beautiful world of Japanese mythology and high flying, fast-paced action! Enter a world where demon, samurai and other deadly enemies vie to destroy you as you search for the fabled Demon Blades. Become the possessed princess Momohime, as you travel West, or the fugitive ninja Kisuke, as you travel East, through mythical Japan battling anyone who stands in your way.

Doki Doki Universe

Doki-Doki Universe (PS Vita)

Free for PS Plus members

Embark on a journey with QT3 to discover humanity and engage with bizarre characters to learn more about them, and hopefully, learn more about yourself along the way.

This Full Game Includes:
– 18 Story Planets: Venture to uniquely themed planets such as “Brrr” or “New Hawaii” and meet an array of quirky characters
– 15 Additional Personality Quizzes: Receive personality reports by taking fun quizzes
– Doki-Doki Universe™ Starter Pack contents: Doki-Doki Mail, 16 Personality Quizzes, QT3’s Home Planet, and Tutorial Planet

We want your feedback so please take a moment to take our poll and leave us a comment below. To chat about all things related to PlayStation with a massive community of gamers, head over to the PlayStation Community Forums and make your voice heard.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 8

+ Killer_App_23 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:11 pm said:

Ha Im glad I never pull the trigger on buying games anymore because they somehow eventually find their way to PS+. Looks like another win this month with Dead Space 3 and Strider :)

+ Amir130 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:11 pm said:

i hope Rayman Legends for PS4 in the next month.

+ CrimsonDev on June 25th, 2014 at 2:14 pm said:

Awesome!, & here i was thinking of buying Muramasa Rebirth in a few days. I guess i’ll buy another Vita game.
Gonna play that & Dead Space 3.

Great Lineup & Good Work.

Kristine Steimer's Avatar

+ Paul Sullivan on June 25th, 2014 at 2:42 pm said:

Both great titles. Hope you enjoy Muramasa.

+ Doomhammer-7 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:15 pm said:

A little disappointed in this update but no means complaining Towerfull Ascension is the Highlight for me except I bought it the day it came out.

+ EYE7SS on June 25th, 2014 at 2:16 pm said:

So… Doki-Doki Universe is going to be cross buy only on Europe?

“Your final offering for this month is the unique and charming Doki Doki Universe from HumaNature Studios. You will travel to uniquely themed planets and asteroids to meet some of the most bizarre characters in an effort to learn more about them, and hopefully, learn a little bit more about your character along the way. What’s more, it’s Cross Play so you can enjoy this one on PS3, PS4 or PS Vita.”

+ TYruler50 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:17 pm said:

i’ll get strider, will also get muramasa since i heard good things about it. Already have dead space 3

+ korekos55 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:17 pm said:

Very nice update, i already own Dead Space 3 and Vessel on pc and are awesome games, the other games are very good also, a lot better that the dissapoinment of June .

+ Doomhammer-7 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:18 pm said:

Also on your survey on thoughts of current free games I would like to see two more options added
1) Owned the game already but its an awesome game
2) Owned the game already but not worth playing

+ boss_ruzy on June 25th, 2014 at 2:19 pm said:

Finally an RPG! Thank you for Muramasa!

+ TeamGreen615 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:20 pm said:

This looks like the best month I’ve seen in a long time. I bought Muramasa on launch day and it looks fantastic on the Vita. Any one with a Vita should give this a try. I’ve never played a Dead Space game so if I like #3 I will get the others. Thanks +!

+ MoonKnight2 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:21 pm said:

I was hoping for Dragon’s Crown since Europe had it free. I’ll snag Strider and Muramasa though. Looks like I’ll be purchasing Dragon’s Crown instead of waiting for it.

+ Huguin00 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:22 pm said:

AWESOME Ps Plus month, im a pleased vita and ps3 owner :3

+ Tjoeb123 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:22 pm said:

Already own Strider (PC)
Already own DS3 (PC)
Already own Muramasa Rebirth
Don’t have a PS4…yet

Sooo….that equals to about…2 indies this month? That’s super lame.

+ ht02135 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:22 pm said:

alright, this month is decent and good. hope for good title for discount.

+ maxcoronel2014 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:24 pm said:

Why are the Europeans getting Doki Doki as a cross buy and we’re not?

Kristine Steimer's Avatar

+ Paul Sullivan on June 25th, 2014 at 3:08 pm said:

Error on my end, my comment that Doki-Doki is not Cross-Buy was mistaken. It *is* a Cross-Buy title. Again, apologies.

+ D4v33d05 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:24 pm said:

The survey is a nice touch. A “Desired Game(s)” input would be nice. I’d REALLY like Dragon’s Crown for PS3, and Awesomenauts for PS4 to be added to PS+ :)

+ maxcoronel2014 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:25 pm said:

From the european PS Blog:

So, why Doki Doki is not cross-buy for US?

+ boxmyth on June 25th, 2014 at 2:26 pm said:

Muramasa Rebirth is phenomenal. I bought it when it was on sale and am currently 40+ hours in (and counting). The Nekomata DLC is also mindblowingly great.

+ Flannels111 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:28 pm said:

Are you kidding me? Muramasa free for playstation plus a month after you put it on sale. This is absolutely appalling and a giant middle finger to the consumer. And you know what? This kind of thing is a regular occurrence on ps+. Stop this dirty business tactic right now

+ Megrim23 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:29 pm said:

Very happy with this months line-up. I have been wanting to try Strider remake & TowerFall for PS4 since they both released! Muramasa Rebirth is awesome on Vita, I picked it up on the sale a couple months ago but that deal was great. Not to mention the DLC being on sale a couple weeks later! Vessel looks interesting, I will download it & give it a try. Thanks again, as usual, cant wait for week 2 of summer sales!

+ iXi_LAWM9STER on June 25th, 2014 at 2:30 pm said:

Now let’s make towerfall online muiltplayer and it be amazing!!!

+ dodgedoors on June 25th, 2014 at 2:32 pm said:

I am also putting my 2 cents into the muramasa opinions. It’s amazing, I have all trophies for main game save the ones for a run thru on the one hit kill mode, but I will eventually get those too. It is amazingly fun and collecting the swords and using their different powers. Boss fights are amazing in this and require strategy. Everyone with a vita needs to at least give this one a try, and ENJOY.

+ purse317 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:34 pm said:

Sony you guys have got to work on timing your free plus offerings and your plus discounts a little better.

I just brought Muramasa on sale during the golden week at the end of April and 2 months later its free. It didn’t cost much so I’m not really burned but still it is bad timing.

+ purse317 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:34 pm said:

Yes and we could use a online multiplayer setup for towerfall

+ lxy8339100 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:35 pm said:

Nice line up but I like the EU line up better….

+ jasoncourt on June 25th, 2014 at 2:36 pm said:

Heck yeah! A very nice offering in July. Thank you PS+ :)

+ MrBeatdown on June 25th, 2014 at 2:36 pm said:

I don’t see why Sony needs to be giving us indie games for PS3 at this point. It’s primarily indies on PS4. Vita definitely isn’t getting a steady flow of retail games, so I don’t understand why we can’t balance that out with more retail games on the PS3 side.

Dead Space 3 is nice, but I miss the months where we got multiple AAA retail releases for PS3 in a single month. Borderlands 2 and Grid 2… Metro, Remember Me, and Payday 2… those were great months. I haven’t downloaded anything in the past few months.

+ GummyCore on June 25th, 2014 at 2:42 pm said:

5 out of 6 are identical to the Europe IGC. Except switching Lego Batman 2 for Muramasa on the VIta.

However, in the Europe IGC, they mentioned “What’s more, it’s Cross Play so you can enjoy this one on PS3, PS4 or PS Vita”. Not sure if that is to be interpreted as it being cross-buy in the IGC, or merely stating that the game has cross-save feature, if we purchase the other versions on our own.

+ BlueBl1zzard on June 25th, 2014 at 2:43 pm said:

Wow, solid update in my opinion. And as always, please keep bringing the sales. Thanks Plus team.

+ Dear_dad on June 25th, 2014 at 2:43 pm said:

PS4 will get those halfings for sure.
VITA finally get a none indie, even though EU has it months ago. Is this game on sale recently? Is this the way Snoy teach us how not to buy there during a sale? Especially other region has it for free?

+ Dear_dad on June 25th, 2014 at 2:45 pm said:

In EU, they have better titles, so they dare to let people see the poll results, here in NA, unfortunately you only get “thanks for taking the survey”, lol

+ jab__661 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:45 pm said:

I let my Ps Plus membership expire because the lack luster games PS4 has been offering. The Ps Vita games have been weak as of late as well, but July’s Vita selection is pretty cool. I might go back to Ps Plus just because July’s Vita games. Wish they’d put AAA game for Ps4, though.

+ Chip1010 on June 25th, 2014 at 2:45 pm said:

I love puzzle-platformers, and Vessel looks awesome. That alone makes this month’s lineup worth the four or five bucks for Plus. Everything else is just gravy. Strider looks cool enough. And maybe I’ll be able to muster the courage to play another Dead Space game with the lights off. Probably not, but we’ll see. I’m easily spooked.

Another month of a few exciting games mixed with a few games I don’t care about. Which is only natural. Glad to have all the options.

+ Kevvik on June 25th, 2014 at 2:50 pm said:

So, on the positive side, we are mixing up genres again which in my opinion is always a good thing, even if I’m not crazy about the games being offered.

Dead Space 3 and Muramasa are acceptable offerings and I’m kind of interested in Vessel as I usually enjoy puzzle style games. PS4 I’ll download for once I get one but so far I just can’t justify the purchase yet.

On the negative side, Doki-Doki and the indie overload. I sort of expected this with the drop to 2 games for each system. 1 dated full title and 1 indie. Expected but can’t say I’m happy about it.

So, good and bad but still better than it has been.

Now if we can only improve the sales again…

+ Rezznak on June 25th, 2014 at 2:50 pm said:

Horrible lineup. The WEAKEST Dead Space. Well I guess I’m glad I BOUGHT Towerfall already so I don’t have to shell out another $50 to play when when my plus membership expires. That’s a game that NEEDS to be owned. SUCH a fun game with friends.
I kinda knew July was going to be pretty bad, summer games are usually nonexistent.

Well I guess August ought to be better. Hohokum, Infamous: First light, and possibly Apotheon. Actual NEW games yay!
Still waiting on Hotline Miami 2, HELLDIVERS, and N++.

+ Eddo_Marin on June 25th, 2014 at 2:53 pm said:

I got Strider for PS3 a couple of months ago!!! …. And…. looking forward to play it again on my PS4 HA! :D

Love PS Plus, give me them Towerfall. YES! Awesome lineup for july.

Just, thanks :)

+ Jack_Ryman on June 25th, 2014 at 3:02 pm said:

Good month for sure, especially the PS3 library with Dead Space 3. Also looking forward for Strider as well. Considering that June wasn’t exactly that great for the Instant Game Collection, this is a step up.

+ obed17 on June 25th, 2014 at 3:02 pm said:

PS4 keeps on only getting indie games, Strider is not bad but come on. PS3 and Vita are getting better games and I know that PS4 is a lot newer (less games)

+ KazeEternal on June 25th, 2014 at 3:02 pm said:

:-D Strider, glad I waited. Towerfall was worth the money I paid. Anyone on PS+ not grabbing Towerfall Ascension should punch themselves in the face.

+ SDkngsht on June 25th, 2014 at 3:13 pm said:

that’s awesome! great games this month. completely forgot Towerfall was out after watching the gameplay on IGN. i think i bought a couple retail games and forgot it was there.

i love the new PSPlus format of everything on one day so things don’t get lost in the mix. great update!

+ Richard_Evil on June 25th, 2014 at 3:13 pm said:

Awesome!! Leave the crap games from the Asia lineup on PS4 and add in more crap for PS3 and Vita! This is why I pay 50 a year for plus…

+ Tjoeb123 on June 25th, 2014 at 3:17 pm said:

@86
Guess what. There haven’t been any AAA titles (let alone exclusives) for the system since launch. I don’t think it would be wise for Sony to put those games in the IGC…..yet.

@75
No kidding. I wish more of the Vita’s Japanese games would be put on IGC (even though I own the majority of them), because that’s really all the Vita has going for it. Besides indies, and…oh yeah, remote play.

+ Tjoeb123 on June 25th, 2014 at 3:18 pm said:

Also, the EU PS Blog has the ability to reply to other comments. Why can’t we have that.

+ CrusaderForever on June 25th, 2014 at 3:18 pm said:

Unreal month for PS+ members! I am just in awe with the amount of awesomeness on display here! I was so close to buying Strider, Muramusa Rebirth and Towerfall and now they will be mine for free. I bought Dead Space 3 digitally and loved it! What a great game for those that have not played it yet. Thanks so much Sony and the PSN team!

+ Fusion13 on June 25th, 2014 at 3:18 pm said:

I have Doki Doki, Strider, and Muramasa… Ugh I hate when this happens

+ Fusion13 on June 25th, 2014 at 3:19 pm said:

On the bright side, we get TowerFall which I purposely waited for this month to see.

+ AG_Awesome on June 25th, 2014 at 3:20 pm said:

Just wondering, is there ANY word on the remaining PSP and PSOne titles being downloadable on the Vita? You guys have customers that bought these games and want to play them

+ bt1234567892010 on June 25th, 2014 at 3:22 pm said:

nice lineup….except Dead Space 3. Only because it is so riddled with microtransactions you practically HAVE to pay or spend hours grinding just to beat the singleplayer. That’s my only complaint this week.

+ Darth_NODlike on June 25th, 2014 at 3:30 pm said:

Looking forward to the nice collection of PS4 games that I will be able to play once I get one. I have heard good things about Muramasa and Vessel sounds interesting.

+ Mando44646 on June 25th, 2014 at 3:31 pm said:

Actually some good stuff this month. Nice to see a non-Indie on both Vita and PS4. Can we expect that setup in the future? One Indie and one non-Indie per console? That’d be nice

PAGE 1 2 3 4 8