PS4-The Order

Destiny: PS4 Beta Hands-on

Justin Massongill's Avatar + Posted by Justin Massongill on Jul 17, 2014 // SCEA Social Media Specialist

Today, PS4 and PS3 owners will get a chance to experience Bungie‘s galaxy-spanning epic Destiny for the first time. Assuming the role of a newly revived Human, Awoken, or Exo, players will explore the ruins of a Russian Cosmodrome and battle hordes of formidable Fallen and feral Hive, all while earning new skills and collecting increasingly effective weapons and armor.

Destiny on PS4 and PS3

I had an early opportunity to play the Beta, and I’ve collected my initial notes below. While this post is by no means comprehensive, I hope it’ll help get you up to speed before you hop in yourself. And if you’re in the Beta, please share your tips, observations, and feedback in the comments below.

If you played or read about Destiny’s Alpha last month, you might be wondering what’s changed for the Beta. The answer: plenty! Perhaps most notably, the Beta fills in many narrative gaps with pre-rendered and in-engine cinematics, fleshing out more of the backstory and making this feel much more like a world I want to explore. These scenes are fully voice-acted; your character even chimes in with his or her own voice from time to time! Your Ghost companion’s dialogue has been refined as well, and generally fits better into the overall story, complete with computerized filters and other cool audio effects that lend a bit more personality and color.

Destiny on PS4 and PS3Destiny on PS4 and PS3

A few more enhancements I noticed in the Beta:

• Music is more prevalent during the Beta’s more intense action sequences.
  • Screen-filling visual effects that punctuate important in-game events look to have been punched up, like a display-wide violet tinge and screen-shake when a massive ship drops a platoon of enemies onto the field.
  • Certain areas are now dubbed “Darkness Zones.” Respawning is disabled in these sections, meaning you and your Fireteam need to stay on point to make it through.
  • On the main overworld map, the Tower displays small, green icons to indicate when rewards or messages are waiting for you there.
  • The character customization system can still yield some pretty awesome looking Guardians.

Destiny on PS4 and PS3

For those with a more competitive nature, the Crucible — Destiny’s PvP multiplayer mode — awaits. This pits players against one another in glorious combat, and keeps things extra-interesting by tossing vehicles into the mix on larger maps (such as the moon-based level I played here). Players can commandeer large, armed conveyances or deploy their handy Sparrow whenever needed — or they can stick to an on-foot approach to ensure an instant offensive is always an option. The mode I played saw my team capturing and holding three control points, while taking special care to eliminate those who would take over our post.

Destiny on PS4 and PS3Destiny on PS4 and PS3

These are but a few observations I made in my short time with the Beta ahead of its official launch today. Once you’re in, let’s compare notes in the comments! Destiny launches on PS4 and PS3 on September 9th this year, but you can play the Beta starting today by pre-ordering the game, either at retail or on PlayStation Store. See you in the Tower.

377 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 8

+ swiftseraphim on July 17th, 2014 at 9:03 am said:

Looks awesome, can’t wait till 1PM EST!

+ zekececil14 on July 17th, 2014 at 9:04 am said:

No we won’t. There is a maintenance going on right now. If it isn’t fixed soon, we won’t.

+ BushidoCL on July 17th, 2014 at 9:05 am said:

Sold

+ Winscar_Shinobi on July 17th, 2014 at 9:05 am said:

Gotta tease us with details while the rest of us wait :P I see how it is. About an hour left until the rest of us common folk can download.

It suckes cause half my friendslist has been playing for days, but then again half my friends list is either a dev, cm, gaming journalist, etc so it makes sense.

+ bashinskulls17 on July 17th, 2014 at 9:07 am said:

woooooo i cannot wait to play it….

+ El_Scorcho2 on July 17th, 2014 at 9:07 am said:

I pre-ordered Digital Standard version. How will I receive notification of Beta info?

+ JimCarreyForYou on July 17th, 2014 at 9:08 am said:

PSN is doing its usual stuff though. So we are SOL

+ BadPiggie123 on July 17th, 2014 at 9:10 am said:

I’m so excited for the beta!!! I hope the maintenance is finished soon. Anyone who’s going to be playing the ps4 beta, add me on PSN, I’m BadPiggie123. Please write destiny in the message. Thanks, and see you in destiny.

+ saab01 on July 17th, 2014 at 9:11 am said:

When will the beta codes be sent I still haven’t received mine and it’s almost 1pm. I pre ordered my game last year in July through amazon. Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

+ Wayndawind on July 17th, 2014 at 9:13 am said:

9/9 cant come soon enough, but i guess this can hold us off. Beyond excited!

+ zekececil14 on July 17th, 2014 at 9:15 am said:

@10

BEYOND!

+ xeno3d on July 17th, 2014 at 9:15 am said:

Dammit Sony!…. I love you.. but every time there is something big PSN takes a dive! Please fix!

+ andremal on July 17th, 2014 at 9:16 am said:

Looking forward to diving back in!

+ KnifingGrimace on July 17th, 2014 at 9:16 am said:

I can’t log into FFXIV because Sony’s servers are crapping themselves because of this game. This needs to hurry up.

+ etscott on July 17th, 2014 at 9:17 am said:

Can’t wait

+ DeRR1ck19 on July 17th, 2014 at 9:18 am said:

@9 Amazon sent a key that can be redeemed on Bungie.net. They sent me the key right after I pre ordered which was a few months back. I’d search your e-mail – subject for me was “You Amazon.com promotional code”

+ txboyrollin on July 17th, 2014 at 9:19 am said:

This is going to take me forever and day to download on my slow internet .But its worth it.

+ Just_killer117 on July 17th, 2014 at 9:19 am said:

guys, i have a important question. do i need ps plus to play this or not?

+ cuiran_naren on July 17th, 2014 at 9:20 am said:

preordered it today through psn, didnt get a beta code

+ SirAnthon on July 17th, 2014 at 9:20 am said:

I’ve Been a Playstation Supporter from the Beginning. Please fix this PSN down on the day the BETA will happen ASAP. This is a polite request. I need by Destiny Fix. @Beyond!

+ PanTheMan16 on July 17th, 2014 at 9:21 am said:

Meh.. I wish it was available right now. I want to go to bed. lol

+ SirAnthon on July 17th, 2014 at 9:21 am said:

@10 go to the official destiny page, where need to be something done there before the PSN one.

+ SirAnthon on July 17th, 2014 at 9:37 am said:

Yeah! It is up again! Thanks PSN Team!

+ alphagoku1 on July 17th, 2014 at 9:38 am said:

Sooooooo, has there been some kind of problem going on, cause I have yet to get my code through my psn account, or email, or on bungie. And it doesnt seem like anyone is trying to push much information on whether or not this is commonplace, or if they’re in the process of addressing it

+ cuiran_naren on July 17th, 2014 at 9:41 am said:

sweet, according to ps support i wont need a code. should be available to dl as soon as it goes live

+ cusman on July 17th, 2014 at 9:42 am said:

From the Bungie Destiny Beta FAQ (http://www.bungie.net/en/View/Bungie/DestinyBetaFAQ)

“If you pre-ordered digitally from the PlayStation Store, you do not require a Destiny Beta code.”

It still doesn’t explain how you can download or whatever, but I assume once it is made available, we can start downloading immediately.

+ Shadow179 on July 17th, 2014 at 9:44 am said:

“+ swiftseraphim: Looks awesome, can’t wait till 1PM EST!”

You too eh?

+ SirAnthon on July 17th, 2014 at 9:52 am said:

@Cuiran_naren Nice to know fellow gamer! See you there in beta.

+ mellkor on July 17th, 2014 at 9:55 am said:

I’m still waiting…

+ TWR-USA on July 17th, 2014 at 9:58 am said:

Installing Destiny :) You’ll find it under New Releases in PS Store

+ xJman329 on July 17th, 2014 at 10:07 am said:

To anyone playing the Beta, send me a FR with Destiny in the message

+ cuiran_naren on July 17th, 2014 at 10:09 am said:

so of course the store is down again

+ airJordan_Xx on July 17th, 2014 at 10:10 am said:

Playstation plz help I preorder destiny at best buy 3days and never receive my code

+ cuiran_naren on July 17th, 2014 at 10:14 am said:

airJordan there should be a reddem code on your reciept that you put in through http://www.destinythegame.com/beta to get your beta code

+ Jamhouse2009 on July 17th, 2014 at 10:18 am said:

y does sony always do maintanence right when all the good stuff comes out. nice planning!

+ TimeSkipLuffyUS on July 17th, 2014 at 10:21 am said:

I got my 3 keys from Bungie but the store is down… as expected…

+ medenko1975 on July 17th, 2014 at 10:21 am said:

it works.

+ iREVOLTER on July 17th, 2014 at 10:22 am said:

B.net and PSN are experiencing heavy traffic right now. Hoorah! It worked, now could you please restore it. Thank you ;)

+ TimeSkipLuffyUS on July 17th, 2014 at 10:23 am said:

They are not doing maintenance. They are just overwhelmed by how many want to use PSN now… like usual SONY does not have the competence to handle such big events.

+ m_ruiz on July 17th, 2014 at 10:23 am said:

Looks like store is back up (West Coast) YEAAAAAAA BABY! Add me if wanting to group up. #greatnessawaits

+ kojo51 on July 17th, 2014 at 10:23 am said:

shoot me a friend request if anyone wants to play it with me

+ ManOfHeroes on July 17th, 2014 at 10:24 am said:

wait how are we suppose to download the beta on our actual PS4’s? do we download it by using our destiny codes? or do we have to download the app?

+ Makinen on July 17th, 2014 at 10:24 am said:

Bungie’s site won’t work when signing into my Playstation account and the PS Store is down. Thankfully I’m at work and 4 hours left till I get home. Excitement is still somewhat contained :D

+ DR_GrnThumb_420 on July 17th, 2014 at 10:25 am said:

Did you receive your three keys in an email?

+ TimeSkipLuffyUS on July 17th, 2014 at 10:25 am said:

you need a beta code from bungie or had a pre-order for the psn version.

+ Undefined_Virtue on July 17th, 2014 at 10:25 am said:

Had you given an upgrade option, or even let PS3 owners try the Alpha version, I would have been buying this today.

Guess I can wait.

+ purse317 on July 17th, 2014 at 10:25 am said:

At what point should someone be reprimanded or fired

Sid
Shouldn’t their have been a blog post specifically explaining how to access the beta when to access the beta etc. So angry PS4 owners like myself don’t go aimlessly searching the store looking for something. For weeks now people have been asking how to access the beta (all in your community forums) so you had to know th question was out their. Why weren’t you prepared with a solid answerfor us.

Grace
Shouldn’t the store hav ebeen well prepared for this why is the PS store under maintenance at 10am PST. How many major launch events have we had with problems like this. At what point should I as a customer expect better no no no I deserve better.

+ kohonaleaf on July 17th, 2014 at 10:25 am said:

got my codes just try to redeem it but all i see the a loading bar trying to accept the code

+ DR_GrnThumb_420 on July 17th, 2014 at 10:27 am said:

Did you get your keys thru email or on bungie code page???

+ DARKDRAGONAN on July 17th, 2014 at 10:27 am said:

This is BS out all days Y’all have to do maintenance today. I have my Destiny code and I can’t submitted because of maintenance. Come on.

PAGE 1 2 3 8