PS4 - Destiny

Don’t Starve: Reign of Giants Out Now on PS4

Corey Rollins's Avatar + Posted by Corey Rollins on Jul 22, 2014 // Community Manager, Klei Entertainment

Hey everyone! Corey Rollins here from Klei Entertainment, and I’m happy to announce Don’t Starve: Reign of Giants is now available for PS4 on PlayStation Store. This expansion is $4.99 and PlayStation Plus members will get 10% off! We’ve also released a new free patch for the original game that adds some new content and features that were previously only available in the PC version.

Don't Starve: Reign of Giants

Download Reign of Giants on PlayStation Store

The Reign of Giants expansion expands the world of Don’t Starve with new characters, seasons, creatures, biomes, and other challenges. New mysteries and scientific innovations await your discovery. Here’s an overview of what’s included.

Reign of Giants Key Features

e98515f5535fabd06359c0396ddbf248_large
  • New playable characters: Reign of Giants adds two characters for players to discover and survive with. Play as Wigfrid, a stage actress who went a bit too far with method acting on her latest role, an ancient Valkyrie, or Webber, a young boy who lives inside the spider who tried to eat him long ago.
  • Year-round starvation: Struggle through a full year of seasons as you experience the torrential rain falls of spring and the blistering heat of summer.
  • A bigger, badder world: New biomes have been filled to the brim with new creatures and gatherables that will either help you survive – or kill you.
  • An extra save slot: You asked, we delivered.
  • Giants: They’re in the name for crying out loud!

Along with the expansion being available, all Don’t Starve players can now download a new free patch for the base game which includes performance enhancements, bug fixes and new content, including Snow and Shadow Chester who were added thanks to the support for our Chester Plush KickStarter. Here’s the full list of new features the patch adds:

aa570596365ce2a40a7036e0f11b7b1f_large

Don’t Starve Free Update Features

• Added Snow Chester and Shadow Chester
  • New in-game text strings & dialogue
  • Option to disable Screen Shake.
  • Expanded options for World Generation.
  • New ability to save custom pre-sets in World Generation screen
  • Random character select option when starting a new game.

And there you have it! We hope you enjoy the latest update patch and the new Reign of Giants expansion. We’re happy to be bringing this to PS4 players! If you’ve got any questions or just want to say hi, you can find us on Twitter. We’re always around and happy to chat. Don’t Starve is what it is thanks to the amazing community and discussions. Thanks for all the feedback and support!

31 Comments

+ xClayMeow on July 22nd, 2014 at 4:25 pm said:

Still waiting on the Vita version release date!

(already own the game on PC; not interested in PS4)

+ Sub-Zero on July 22nd, 2014 at 4:40 pm said:

Havent played this in a while ..but just might buy to support the dev team. Love the games they make.

+ Borshay on July 22nd, 2014 at 5:45 pm said:

Will be picking up the Vita version once it releases! Don’t Starve is the best PS+ title for the PS4 so far!

+ flaw600MA on July 22nd, 2014 at 6:30 pm said:

Hello,
I was wondering if Sony was planning on allowing sub-account to master-account upgrades anytime soon? On the PS3, the difference between a sub-account and a master account was negligible. But on the PS4 there is a vast difference – PS+, Billing information, Sharing, FB/Twitter, etc. Is Sony going to allow sub-accounts to have more functionality or allow them to upgrade or both? Thanks!

+ RE_Player on July 22nd, 2014 at 6:30 pm said:

Very cool. Can’t wait for the Vita version.

+ djsaiyan on July 22nd, 2014 at 7:04 pm said:

There appears to be a problem with downloading this.

It can be purchased easily enough through the webstore, but clicking the “download to my ps4″ button on either your download list or the product page just causes the whole page to hang, and it doesn’t get added to your download queue.

Halp?

+ djsaiyan on July 22nd, 2014 at 7:17 pm said:

Err, apologies. The “download to my ps4″ button doesn’t appear on the download list, it DID appear at the page you’re brought to immediately after check-out, which is where it ended up getting stuck on me.

+ Griff001 on July 22nd, 2014 at 7:17 pm said:

Love the game and the DLC! Thanks Klei for the new challenge. Don’t stop now, we are eagerly awaiting vita version and don’t starve together!

+ Stratos671 on July 22nd, 2014 at 7:22 pm said:

Waiting for the psvita version as well! It’s going to be awesome!!!!!

+ Josh1billion on July 22nd, 2014 at 8:52 pm said:

Like #6 said, there’s an issue with the DLC. Don’t buy it, or else you won’t be able to download it (yet, anyway).

I spent 20 minutes in the PSN live support chat trying to get some help in downloading it. The conclusion was that there’s a licensing issue with it or something, so I should try to download later. I’ll try again tomorrow night, and hopefully it’ll work then, but the bottom line is that the DLC up for purchase and is impossible to download once you buy it.

+ Josh1billion on July 22nd, 2014 at 9:01 pm said:

Nevermind, turns out the guy in the support chat was wrong.

This DLC requires no download. There’s no DLC to download, unlock file to download, etc. @6, just boot up the game, and the DLC should be there (assuming you’ve installed the latest patch). There’ll be a checkbox saying “Enable RoG” when you create a new game.

+ djsaiyan on July 22nd, 2014 at 10:08 pm said:

@10/11

Ooh good to know, thanks!

+ Einhander138 on July 22nd, 2014 at 11:57 pm said:

>I’m happy to announce Don’t Starve: Reign of Giants is now available for PS4 on PlayStation Store.

And I’ll be happy to pay for it when you release a physical version on physical media.

No disc, no sale.

+ Shinra_X on July 23rd, 2014 at 12:55 am said:

Love it. But one question; Why can’t we have >more< save slots? Just 5 makes sure that we can't play with every character. Why not just make it infinite? :/

+ Lainer130 on July 23rd, 2014 at 5:58 am said:

Bought it! So sad to think that one day I might be hungry enough to have no choice but to kill and eat the catacoon. They are just so damn cute. :-( I think I may hold off on heavy play of this however until Don’t Starve Together rears its head. It will be so much more fun to explore this DLC together with the wife/friends.

+ Jaded_Dragon on July 23rd, 2014 at 6:55 am said:

@Einhander138

That’s a joke right? A physical copy of a $15 game? It would cost more in manufacturing and distribution, than the game costs on the store. If “no disc no sale” is really a thing for you… please stop playing games now… please.

+ Benzitor on July 23rd, 2014 at 7:25 am said:

Can’t wait to get this one on Vita ( its been like 4 posts like this today )

+ Lacerz on July 23rd, 2014 at 8:23 am said:

I’ll throw this in my cart with the Summer Sale preorders to support the dev.

+ Praying_Mantis_7 on July 23rd, 2014 at 10:47 am said:

as soon as i saw this i bought the dlc! i love the game and good job to the devs for the work put into this.

+ Hakumen__ on July 23rd, 2014 at 11:03 am said:

I’m really looking forward to the PS Vita version!

+ nanaki85 on July 23rd, 2014 at 3:32 pm said:

So dissapointed that the tree glitch is gone…

+ nanaki85 on July 23rd, 2014 at 6:41 pm said:

played it for a while more, it’s a lot more challenging and fun!, but I think there’s a bug with the uh thermal stone.. not giving off any glow while it’s red hot, and as soon as it turns from yellow to white you only have a few seconds to make a fire or you start to freeze, whereas before it would turn from white to a cold blue color then you’d start to freeze.

+ xClayMeow on July 23rd, 2014 at 8:34 pm said:

@Jaded_Dragon: Ignore Einhander. He says the same thing in every blog post. Apparently he doesn’t understand what an indie game is.

+ Einhander138 on July 23rd, 2014 at 9:34 pm said:

@16 – Hey I waited and got a disc copy of “Rain” for $20.

I’m happy to pay a little extra to actually own my game.

If these people aren’t cool with consumer rights, why should I – or anyone else – support them?

+ pablofsi08 on July 24th, 2014 at 7:06 am said:

How about adding Thirst?

+ Lynwood420 on July 24th, 2014 at 9:47 am said:

Yea ill wait for the vita version too, my vita needs more games

+ Macello on July 24th, 2014 at 11:02 am said:

With Klei’s utter disdain towards Playstation users, I will not be supporting this despite loving the game. Making fun of users that enjoy trophies and refusing to put trophies in the DLC.

+ Welmosca on July 24th, 2014 at 11:32 am said:

Wow I thought this was a new game….I found it weird considering the 1st one just released some months ago but nowadays in this industry of games,its hard to be surprised with anything devs do…. I’m glad its a DLC.

+ JimmyChaos on July 25th, 2014 at 9:02 pm said:

I was hoping it would add some sort of multiplayer feature. Bought it anyways. Gonna play in my current world some more before I start a new game but I can’t wait. …well I guess I can wait or I would be playing the new world already. lol never mind. stupid overused phrase.

+ Pashta on August 3rd, 2014 at 12:09 pm said:

WHY NO TROPHIES? :( I bought it, being excited about a new adventure and new challenges, but you didn’t add any! Trophies give people something to aim for, a reason to play. They’re especially helpful to get more gameplay once you beat a game (like I have with the original Don’t Starve).

I hope you will add some, I want a new challenge and just playing a new character or two isn’t really what I was looking for. I LOVE your game, please think about it. Thank you!

+ SkinnyyBo on August 16th, 2014 at 5:55 pm said:

This game could easily have had a platinum trophy… I was disappointed when i saw the trophy list for the first time, and that shortened its life span considerably for me… Had it had a platinum, i would have gone for it, no doubt… Now they had a chance to redeem themselves (like Shooter Ultimate did for example) and they leave us hangin’ instead… I won’t get it…