Farpoint

Jul 22

Jul 22

PS Store PLAY 2014: 4 New Games, Big Discounts

Chieh Chen's Avatar Posted by Digital Distribution Manager, Sony Network Entertainment

Summertime on PlayStation Store means it’s time for PlayStation Store PLAY, our annual summer program featuring a diverse lineup of new games and special offers. PLAY 2014 officially kicks off today (following the PlayStation Store publish) when this year’s lineup of games becomes available for pre-order.

Now it’s time to get to the new games coming to PlayStation because that is what PS Store PLAY 2014 is all about. The lineup features four unique indie games including two stunning PlayStation exclusives, Hohokum and CounterSpy, as well as Rogue Legacy and The Swapper. Got a PS4, PS3, or PS Vita? Have all three? Well good news: all four games are Cross-Buy across all three platforms. That means you get all three versions for one price!

PlayStation Store PLAY 2014

And if you are a PlayStation Plus member, you will receive a 20 percent discount on PLAY 2014 games when pre-ordering. The pre-orders for all four games will be available today with the first PLAY game launching next week. Here’s the lineup calendar and prices:

Launch Date Title (Platform) PS Plus Pre-Order Price Retail Price
7/29 Rogue Legacy (PS4, PS3, PS Vita) $13.59 $16.99
8/5 The Swapper (PS4, PS3, PS Vita) $15.99 $19.99
8/12 Hohokum (PS4, PS3, PS Vita) $11.99 $14.99
8/19 CounterSpy (PS4, PS3, PS Vita) $11.99 $14.99

That’s not all. If you end up picking up two or more of these great games, we’re giving you a bonus PlayStation Store credit. You can take advantage of these great bonuses based on PLAY 2014 games purchased or pre-ordered from July 22 through August 25:

• Pre-order or Buy any 4 PlayStation Store PLAY 2014 games to get a $10 credit later*
  • Pre-order or Buy any 3 PlayStation Store PLAY 2014 games to get a $6 credit later*
  • Pre-order or Buy any 2 PlayStation Store PLAY 2014 games to get a $3 credit later*

*Voucher code redeemable for credits will be delivered by 9/5/14. Voucher code expires on 10/3/14.

Phew. That’s a lot of information. So don’t forget: all four games are Cross-Buy, PS Plus members get a 20 percent discount when pre-ordering, and if you buy more, you save more. Check back each week for more information on each of the games launching over the next month.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

Mercenary09 said:

July 22nd, 10:13 am

Yess! I was wondering when the yearly PSN Play would be announced. I want all 4 of those games too! August is going to rock!

CapJSheridan said:

July 22nd, 10:13 am

I get it indies need money, but their prices have been on the rise lately

BanzaiHeil said:

July 22nd, 10:14 am

Play!

zingakun said:

July 22nd, 10:15 am

I’m missing the “Get $10 For Every $50 Spent” promotion. Can we expect it to come back some day?

krand said:

July 22nd, 10:15 am

Excellent! A great lineup!

hawjboi2009 said:

July 22nd, 10:15 am

Counter Spy look interesting t obuy

SigEp_Raiders said:

July 22nd, 10:16 am

I wish Rogue Legacy didn’t come out the same day as TLOUR. I really want to play Rogue Legacy, but I need to play TLOU since I have yet to play it and I’ve heard it is a decent game

eggmiester28 said:

July 22nd, 10:18 am

Rogue Legacy and Counter Spy interest me so i may get them.

FifthDream said:

July 22nd, 10:18 am

Hohokum, and mayyybe Rogue Legacy, here i come!

So excited for Hohokum. It looks like it will be amazing.

Darig0n said:

July 22nd, 10:18 am

ill pass

XxGODxMODExX said:

July 22nd, 10:19 am

I’m sure these will be free for Plus soon, so I’ll wait. Very excited for Rogue Legacy.

GStylez1980 said:

July 22nd, 10:19 am

Very interested in all 4 of these games. And making them all Cross-buy makes them all triply appealing. Not sure if I’ll get them all Day 1, but rest assured, I’ll own them all sooner or later.

MakoSoul said:

July 22nd, 10:20 am

OH. HELL. YUSSSSS!

Definitely in for Hohokum and CounterSpy, but I might just have to get all four.

AssaultMonkey150 said:

July 22nd, 10:21 am

Wow! I am more excited to play Rogue Legacy and the Swapper than any other full retail game coming out soon.

Not only is there a ps+ discount, but Ill save by buying 2!

Score!

Rezolution77 said:

July 22nd, 10:21 am

All of these titles are definately welcome, althougth the only title worth the price I think would be CounterSpy.
Of course if I didn’t have a budget, or fear of sales down the road, I would pick them all up now.

Hundredhandslap said:

July 22nd, 10:23 am

I’ve been wanting to play Rogue Legacy for a while, so I’ll be picking that up. I’m not sure about the other games, I’ll need to see more.

It also seems like the cost of some of the games has gone up while the credit amounts have remained the same. Hmm…

snakeeyes211 said:

July 22nd, 10:23 am

Indie games are getting too expensive

ESIASON7 said:

July 22nd, 10:26 am

Crossbuy CounterSpy? Count me in Chieh Chen! :)

MakoSoul said:

July 22nd, 10:26 am

For everyone complaining about indie games being too expensive. This has to do with two factors. One, more resources and time are being put into them, and that contributes to the rising cost. Two, these games have been created for THREE platforms, that’s three times the testing, optimization, etc.

DonArmageddon said:

July 22nd, 10:28 am

Oh wow, this year’s selection is a grand slam: I’m going 4/4 this time!

Having all of them be Cross-Buy titles is a masterstroke…now do all of them also feature Cross-Save? (not sure about Counter-Spy.)

califoreigner said:

July 22nd, 10:29 am

Crazy lineup. Actually the first time I’m excited for all of them. Gonna have to make room on my 64GB since its already full of choice vita games. Decisions decisions

MrPonuraski said:

July 22nd, 10:30 am

#Suikoden2onPSStore

Please, don’t tell me that Putter Golf is going to be added to the library of PS Classics, but Suikoden 2 won’t be there!?

My heart won’t handle that.

SSj4_Ryuk said:

July 22nd, 10:31 am

If you have PS+, preorder four overpriced games, get one half off (kind of; actually, not really, you just get a $10 credit which you don’t even receive immediately)! Probably worthwhile incentive if you planned to get them anyway. No “incentive” for me, though.

Let’s hope the normal PS+ sales are good. You know, the ones that we used to be able to prepare for on Modays when they were listed? Remember those? Start giving us a headup again.

johnnyp70 said:

July 22nd, 10:31 am

I am all in on 3 of these. Can someone sell me on The Swapper?

AssaultMonkey150 said:

July 22nd, 10:31 am

It is a shame that by the time rogue legacy comes out on PSN, it will have been on sale several times for 3 or 4 bucks on steam sales

But its worth it, since I have more fun playing these games optimized for consoles and TV

somepiranhas said:

July 22nd, 10:32 am

Disappointed that Rogue Legacy and Swapper are charging a premium over their PC prices. One of the advantages to cross-buy is that you were supposed to get the game on multiple platforms for the same price to make it a no-brainer to buy on Playstation.

I still might give the exclusives a shot but I can’t support devs who upcharge for cross-buy.

OnTheBus666 said:

July 22nd, 10:32 am

Swapper is crazy awesome and counter spy is ex-Pixar so the style has me sold already hope the gameplay loves up to the visuals! Any news on Starbound and Starwhal those were the games I was really hoping to see on this list.

duke301 said:

July 22nd, 10:34 am

The only one that I’m not really sure about is Hohokum. It’s too bad they don’t release demos early for these games, because that is definitely one that I’d want to play first before buying it. Anyway, the best one there, to me at least, looks like Rogue Legacy as I’m always partial to old-school RPGs.

OnTheBus666 said:

July 22nd, 10:35 am

@23 the swapper is excellent I have it on Steam. It is a cool puzzle game with some very strange concepts. Puzzles are fun but it really makes you think about the conceptual stuff, kinda reminds me of the movie Moon with Sam Rockwell, an instant classic IMO.

theXsilentXchild said:

July 22nd, 10:36 am

Overpriced indie garbage again.

TJF588 said:

July 22nd, 10:36 am

Rogue Legacy (which I’ve played on PC) and Hohokum (remember when PS Home did E3 events?) would be definite for me, with The Swapper coming recommended and CounterSpy looking nice…whatever it is. Doubt I’m in a position to foot for any of ’em right now, but since there doesn’t seem to be any extra goodies (past PLAYs had XMB themes for PS3), I’m okay with waiting myself out.

LegendaryHero4 said:

July 22nd, 10:40 am

When does Helldivers comes out?

baconcow1812 said:

July 22nd, 10:40 am

@29 theXsilentXchild, have you even played Rogue Legacy, or are you just showing your hatred for indie games?

johnnyp70 said:

July 22nd, 10:42 am

@OnTheBus666 Thanks for the info. I will marinate on that one.

PanTheMan16 said:

July 22nd, 10:43 am

Darn it. I’m going to have to buy all of these.

ElektroDragon said:

July 22nd, 10:43 am

Hohokum? Is that was Santa Claus does between the sheets?

Sorry, I had to. Forgive me.

saab01 said:

July 22nd, 10:45 am

Hohokum and counter spy look nice but I always get scared to pre order a game without trying it first. No need to waste money on a game when potentially it might not be my cup of tea.

ElektroDragon said:

July 22nd, 10:45 am

And remember folks, Rogue Legacy is not a roguelike… its an arcadey tough as nails action rogue-lite.

I’d kill for a true turn based roguelike RPG on PSN.

bajor27 said:

July 22nd, 10:45 am

Cross-Buy Play!

Awesome. Was going to buy 3 of these 4 for sure anyway. Might have to make it all 4 now.

–Just watched a review of The Swapper and it looks excellent! All four it is!

baconcow1812 said:

July 22nd, 10:46 am

@ElektroDragon

The PSP game, ZHP has roguelike elements and is turn based. Have you tried it out?

DanteMerfi said:

July 22nd, 10:46 am

Pre-order prices are good, but I can’t commit to 2 or 3 of these games without reading reviews first.

Blacq_Soul said:

July 22nd, 10:47 am

rogue legacy for me so far

Dryde said:

July 22nd, 10:50 am

wubwubwubwubwubwub

ElektroDragon said:

July 22nd, 10:51 am

Thanks bacon, I know there’s probably tons of games like that for PSP, but I’ve sort of moved on from that platform thanks to Vita. But I’ll look into it.

ElektroDragon said:

July 22nd, 10:52 am

This is a very strong lineup… better than some previous years. And if you Plus preorder all 4, you’re essentially getting one of the lesser known games almost for free, making it a no-brainer.

Thanks Sony, for the right combination of games, at the right prices.

baconcow1812 said:

July 22nd, 10:53 am

@ElektroDragon, I only mentioned that because it can be played on the Vita. I find it actually looks better on my Vita than my PSP.

TomHoang said:

July 22nd, 10:55 am

Really great games in the PLAY promotion this year. I’ve been looking forward to CounterSpy and Hohokum for the longest time. The Swapper looks cool and I am debating whether to buy that as well.

xClayMeow said:

July 22nd, 10:56 am

CounterSpy! Yes!

I’m also interested Rogue Legacy, but when I could have picked it up for much cheaper on Steam ($3.74), I’m going to hold off for a bigger sale.

xClayMeow said:

July 22nd, 11:00 am

I wish there was an option with cross-buy titles where we can just buy individual versions for less – I’m not talking a third the price, but even $5 less would be great. I only care about the Vita version for all these titles, so especially compared to what I can pay on Steam for the first two, it seems like I’m forced to pay extra just to have extra copies I’ll never play.

ScottyT14 said:

July 22nd, 11:01 am

This worries me a little. Rogue Legacy is pretty pricey compared to the PC version. Is this small price bump a glimpse of what to expect in the future? And having to preorder digital titles to save on them while being on PS+ rubs me the wrong way. I don’t understand why it needs to be that way.

PAGE 1 2 3