LittleBigPlanet 3

The Last of Us Remastered: Photo Mode Detailed

Eric Monacelli's Avatar + Posted by Eric Monacelli on Jul 25, 2014 // Community Strategist, Naughty Dog

We made a slew of cool additions to The Last of Us Remastered to create the definitive The Last of Us game, but one of the features we’re most excited about is Photo Mode. After all, what’s a beautiful post pandemic landscape if you can’t share some good pictures of it?

Photo Mode is activated through the pause screen. You can activate it by simply tapping L3 to freeze the action in-game as long you aren’t in a cutscene. For a clear description of how it works, check out a tutorial from Jeff Negus, our in-house editor and videographer:

Camera control, field of view, and depth of field adjustments will help you frame the perfect shot. Aesthetically, you can add one of ten different color filters and adjust its intensity. You can choose to give your photo a vignette or even select from a selection of eleven different frames. If you like the look of film grain, you can add that as well. There are a ton of options for you to explore.

Photo Mode arrives in Patch 1.01 for The Last of Us Remastered. It will only be available in this PS4 edition of the game. Patch 1.01 will be rolled out globally by the time you get your hands on the game July 29th. Let’s see your best photos! Use #TheLastofUs so we can find them and we’ll re-tweet some of our favorites from the official Naughty Dog Twitter.

44 Comments

+ jzga-1 on July 25th, 2014 at 1:09 pm said:

Tuesday can’t come soon enough!

+ Winscar_Shinobi on July 25th, 2014 at 1:09 pm said:

Haha “those photos might be important…. for like a contest or something”

+ ASC2175 on July 25th, 2014 at 1:11 pm said:

So…I’m guessing there’s still encoded movie cutscenes…I ask because, I’d like to see those cutscenes in game, real-time and stuff. Just asking if there are any like that in this version. Minor question. I’ll still enjoy the game, still one of the best story-driven games ever.

+ Sharingan_itachi on July 25th, 2014 at 1:12 pm said:

Terrible.

+ sabot37 on July 25th, 2014 at 1:15 pm said:

Ok but what about The Last Of Us movie?!?!?! So excited

+ Zepherj on July 25th, 2014 at 1:17 pm said:

I’m actually really excited about this. I LOVED the photo mode in inFamous, and I will use the feature in the Last of Us for every environment for sure.

+ ShariusTC on July 25th, 2014 at 1:20 pm said:

techniquely, it’s a advance form of infamous photomode?

i think i like it :) and can i hope for same thing in U4?

+ ShariusTC on July 25th, 2014 at 1:21 pm said:

1 more thing: can i capture thing in cutscense or gameplay only?

+ DanteAMT on July 25th, 2014 at 1:22 pm said:

I can’t wait till 29th… next 5 days are going to be very loooooong, so will use them to get Platinum Trophy on Oddworld New N Tasty :) :)

For a person like me (converted from xbox360 to PS4) playing TLOU IS GOING TO BE AWESOME !!! Sony, Naughty Dog if you read this PLEASE BRING UNCHARTED 1+2+3 Remastered… I almost bought a PS3 last just to play them but resisted the temptation, so I will wait for Uncharted Remastered.

p.s I have pre-ordered the game, the same week you put it online, will do the same if you get Uncharted Remastered :)

+ Grimlogic_ on July 25th, 2014 at 1:22 pm said:

That’s a really nice feature. It should make the playthroughs even longer because everyone’s trying to get that one perfect shot. LOL

Can’t wait to grab the game!

+ SeanStrange on July 25th, 2014 at 1:24 pm said:

TLOU on the PS4 is going to look better than ever. Now all we need is an Uncharted HD Collection for the PS4.

+ Zacky-V-A7X on July 25th, 2014 at 1:28 pm said:

Amazing!! Can’t wait to try it out.

+ Mercenary09 on July 25th, 2014 at 1:36 pm said:

@4 What exactly is terrible about it?

+ Mercenary09 on July 25th, 2014 at 1:37 pm said:

I know myself and many, many others appreciate you putting this feature in this game ND. It was awesome what people did with it in Infamous SS and it’s something I would like to see more games in the future include.

+ eskeigh on July 25th, 2014 at 1:43 pm said:

This is awesome. Wish this was a feature in all games.

+ D-Squad3 on July 25th, 2014 at 1:45 pm said:

Every game or at least every 1st party game should have this feature!

And CONTEST? I’m ready.

+ MarinoBrea on July 25th, 2014 at 1:49 pm said:

Looks awesome, I’m definitely going to try it. Uh, at the end of the video a picture is flashed that might be a little spoilerish. So people should be advised.

+ HeavyToka on July 25th, 2014 at 1:51 pm said:

This looks fantastic, I can’t wait to try it out myself!

+ maxvtec on July 25th, 2014 at 2:09 pm said:

When I first started reading it I thought it was gonna pointless. After watching the video I think it’s amazing and can’t wait to try this out!!

Also can’t. Wait for The Last Of Us 2:

+ Elvick_ on July 25th, 2014 at 2:43 pm said:

Every first party game should have this awesome feature. I hope Evolution do it for DriveClub. I’d like every game having it, but that won’t happen.

+ Mercenary09 on July 25th, 2014 at 2:53 pm said:

@20 Pretty sure it was already confirmed for Driveclub =)

+ xeno3d on July 25th, 2014 at 3:04 pm said:

Can’t wait to play through this game again!

+ oo7PorscheMGS on July 25th, 2014 at 3:23 pm said:

Great. As a photography major, I spent so many hours with inFamous’ camera mode…but Last of Us to me is more than just a great game with great special effects…it also has the most effective story in any game I’ve played… so I can’t wait to convey that in some photos…I love this game, emotional story/characters/intense gameplay..all of it fits together as 1 whole, unlike other games. Gameplay should always fit 1 to 1 with the story (in my opinion..obviously), or else your game loses focus and power.

+ saiyanknight87 on July 25th, 2014 at 4:12 pm said:

This needs to be standard for all games!

+ vstarwow on July 25th, 2014 at 5:04 pm said:

what’s the point of photo mode if we can’t use the photo-shots as ps4′s wallpaper?

+ eaglefan129 on July 25th, 2014 at 5:32 pm said:

doessnt this defeat the purpose of the share feature on the ps4?

+ GodlessPagan on July 25th, 2014 at 6:01 pm said:

For God’s sake, Naughty Dog. The Last of Us was the best game ever made when it launched (before any patches or DLC). Remastered is just insanely good. 60 fps, 1080p, developer commentary, photo mode, 15 maps in multiplayer at launch (more to come later)… Seriously, I preordered the Destiny/PS4 bundle, but now I think I can’t wait and I’ll just buy a PS4 next week so I can play Remastered much sooner.

+ Kchow23 on July 25th, 2014 at 8:28 pm said:

Will this be a feature that sub accounts can use since sharing is a feature only master accounts can use? I have been asking for a fix months ago and nothing has been said or done.

+ reyhassankhan on July 25th, 2014 at 10:41 pm said:

hay i want to just know what games will be free on ps plus in august cause the blog didnt tell us the last thursday any please help

+ darkitp on July 25th, 2014 at 11:25 pm said:

I was hoping for Theater Mode in Factions Mode

it was fun to do montages in Uncharted

even with share button , you cant move camera angle or zoom out while playing the game

+ soulismissing on July 26th, 2014 at 12:34 am said:

WHY NO PRELOAD?

+ L0NG_SHOT_28 on July 26th, 2014 at 1:25 am said:

Really bummed that there is no PRELOAD…

+ INFICE on July 26th, 2014 at 7:57 am said:

now I can shoot a clicker and then paus to see all the detail,like with a shotgun :)))

+ BahumatIsBack on July 26th, 2014 at 8:25 am said:

Why isn’t there a preload for this game? The game was huge on PS3 and is going to be even bigger on PS4. From what I hear it’s going to be around 50 gigs give or take. I just bought it thinking I could preload over the weekend so I wouldn’t have to wait when it launched but that option’s out

+ FifthDream on July 26th, 2014 at 10:44 am said:

Holy crap, it’s out on Tuesday! That snuck up on me. i’d better get some of my backlog cleared out this weekend.

I’ve been looking forward to playing this since it was announced. Photo mode just makes me even more excited for it. I’ll be playing in photo mode forever. (I’m kinda knows as someone who sits in FFXIV:ARR taking screenshots more than actually playing. it’s why it took me so long to get to level 50. XD )

+ Street_Killaz on July 26th, 2014 at 1:07 pm said:

Hands down the best game i played in awhile! And can not wait play it again! Took tuesday of for this game! Speaking about last of us i might play it tonight for ps3 wooo

+ subsamuel01 on July 26th, 2014 at 1:51 pm said:

Missed this game on PS3, pre-ordered it for PS4 can’t wait till Tuesday to play this.

+ death_nation100 on July 26th, 2014 at 1:57 pm said:

Wow I don’t care.

+ BahumatIsBack on July 26th, 2014 at 5:56 pm said:

….and I don’t care that you don’t care. I find it funny you went to all the trouble of logging in just to say that. You must care a little

+ Gamerzlimited on July 26th, 2014 at 6:57 pm said:

Knowing the graphics of the PS4, the photos would look much beautiful than the PS3 so I can understand why it’s exclusive. Not like it benefits the gameplay anyway.

@death_nation100 Don’t say anything at all if you don’t care you little skunk.

+ xMsX-Lamby-2013x on July 26th, 2014 at 8:03 pm said:

i thought it came out 1st August?? or is just 29th July for US?

+ NICKLEBAG_187 on July 27th, 2014 at 8:01 am said:

Early access for PS+ members would be cool. Like today cool. I’m bored…

+ CommandingTiger on July 27th, 2014 at 12:02 pm said:

What I would have wanted from TLOU is having more crafting options, as well as having the skill to repel clickers by pressing triangle learned from the begining.

+ Welmosca on July 29th, 2014 at 9:47 am said:

Oh yes with photo mode there are 3 new additions to this rehashed version…….Photo Mode,screenshots and easier trophies.