Driveclub

Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare: Survival Tips, PlayStation-Exclusive Hats

Chris Fox's Avatar + Posted by Chris Fox on Jul 30, 2014 // Lead Gameplay Designer, Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare

Hi everyone, Chris Fox here, lead gameplay designer on Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare. We’re extremely excited to be releasing Garden Warfare on PS4 and PS3 this August 19th. To celebrate, I’d like to give a quick introduction to our split-screen survival mode, as well as some tips for beginners and veterans alike.

In our split-screen mode, it’s you and a friend teaming up to protect your garden from an endless zombie horde. With just two plants versus all of Dr. Zomboss’ minions, character selection is key. While all characters can be successful, choosing complementary classes can help to turn the tide in your favor. The Pea Shooter and Sunflower are natural companions. He’s a mid-range specialist, and she’s a healer. Pretty obvious stuff, I know. But what you might not know is that the Chomper and Cactus make quite the formidable pair. The Chomper’s ability to bite right through armor allows him to take care of pesky Coffin and Outhouse zombies, leaving the Cactus free to snipe ranged zombies from a safe distance.

Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare PS4: Suburban flats

In Garden Warfare, each playable class has up to seven unlockable Variants, complete with different weapons and characteristics. Some of these are better suited to our cooperative game modes than others. A great example of this is the Power Cactus. Her electric shots can arc across multiple enemies at once, inflicting damage to entire groups of zombies. This is especially helpful for clearing out low HP groups from around your garden.

Much like in the original Plants vs. Zombies, what you plant, and where you chose to plant it, can be the difference between victory and defeat. A good strategy is to plant your powerful, melee-based plants close to your garden. That way, you can protect them with your more common, ranged plants along your front line. Experimenting with different plant combinations can lead to interesting and powerful results. One of my favorite tactics is to let an Ice Shroom freeze a zombie solid, then have a Snap Dragon finish it off with his flame breath.

Garden selection is something that can be overlooked by newcomers. Each level features three different gardens locations you can choose to protect. Depending on your play style, some will be easier to defend than others. Try them all out, and then go for the one that suits you the best.

Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare PS4: Garden Center

My final bit of advice is that there’s no shame in running away. If you’re finding yourselves overwhelmed by the horde, backing off and making a quick lap around the map can provide a critical chance to regroup and heal. Just make sure to keep an eye on your garden’s health. For those of you who want to see our strategies in action, I’ll be live streaming on PS4 via the PopCap Twitch channel, alongside fellow designer Jeff Shaw, on Thursday July 31th at 10:00 AM Pacific Time.

Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare PS4: PlayStation-exclusive hats

As I mentioned off the top, we’re thrilled to be bringing Garden Warfare to PS4 and PS3. The team wanted to do something special for all of the PlayStation fans, so we’ve created a batch of exclusive hats based on some of our favorite PlayStation characters. These will be available exclusively to those who preorder through PlayStation Store or retailers, however the Fat Princess hat is a digital exclusive! Thanks for your time. If you have any questions, or want to say hi, you can find me on Twitter.

Otherwise, I hope to see you all online in a few weeks!

PAGE 1 2

+ Sonicfan11589 on July 30th, 2014 at 10:05 am said:

I can’t wait for this. Glad it is finally coming to PS systems. (I think it would be a good game to have on the Vita if you guys ever decide to make it for it, HINT HINT).

I’m choosing this over Diablo III.

Thank you so much.

+ Sonicfan11589 on July 30th, 2014 at 10:06 am said:

Also a friend told me there are OP (overpowered) weapons such as one that shoots cherries. Any chances of nerfing weapons (making them less powerfu)l so players who prefer other weapons don’t lose so easily?

Chris Fox's Avatar

+ Chris Fox on July 30th, 2014 at 10:25 am said:

Glad to hear you’re excited for Garden Warfare!

We’re constantly making adjustments to game balance based on player feedback, our guts, and cold hard data. We actually just recently released a patch to address the balance issues with the Berry Shooter.

+ dfuseUSA on July 30th, 2014 at 10:07 am said:

Thanks for the update but we’re all waiting for Plants vs. Zombies 2: It’s About Time. Isn’t it about time we would hear something about this soon? :)

+ Tidusfanboy on July 30th, 2014 at 10:08 am said:

So glad to finally have a date for it. And its in my birth month (My birthday is August 4th)! :D

+ Sonicfan11589 on July 30th, 2014 at 10:10 am said:

Sorry just starting watching the video, yes i see (must be through remote play) that it is playable on Vita but as I meant in my first post that it be great if the game was made as a vita release (not just through remote play)

Also I have heard it is a lot of fun this game, it’s nice to get a really fun game for less than full retail priced games for expensive systems. :)

+ Gorvi on July 30th, 2014 at 10:12 am said:

Plants Vs Zombies 2 on the Vita please! This looks interesting too. ;)

+ jhernandez360 on July 30th, 2014 at 10:16 am said:

Sweet now if we could get PVZ 2 “its about time” on the playstation systems please and thank you!!

+ Blacq_Soul on July 30th, 2014 at 10:17 am said:

I bought it for the xbox one and wasn’t too fond of it. it’s probably more fun with friends. the survival was tough though and it could use a few extra character types but that’s my opinion

+ Nynja on July 30th, 2014 at 10:17 am said:

Local co-op makes this game an instant buy. Everything else about it makes it a pre-order! I have never played any of the PvZ games, so this will be my first. Cannot wait to play this game!

Also – if you released a Vita version I would SOO get that too! (cross-save would be a plus)

+ CDubyahS on July 30th, 2014 at 10:18 am said:

Zen pinball2 needs a new plants vs zombies table

+ langdon_alger on July 30th, 2014 at 10:19 am said:

So, is the split screen mode 2 players only? My kids are huge PvZ fans and I would love to play a 4 player split screen match with them.

+ BenSmithy2001 on July 30th, 2014 at 10:24 am said:

Super excited about this game,add me when it comes out so we can play together and have a laugh ;)

+ coolwhip_01 on July 30th, 2014 at 10:36 am said:

Its safe to say that this game is never coming to Vita right? I’m not too big into the whole remoteplay thing.

+ Kalebo-Kun on July 30th, 2014 at 10:36 am said:

We need PSPLUS to play in PS3? or only in PS4?

Chris Fox's Avatar

+ Chris Fox on July 30th, 2014 at 11:49 am said:

The PS3 version will not require PlayStation Plus.

+ georgistoychev on July 30th, 2014 at 10:39 am said:

How much free space need we for the ps3 version ?

+ TrueArena111 on July 30th, 2014 at 10:44 am said:

I’m lovin’ this!

Would you guys consider making areas/zombies/plants/bosses from PvZ 2 be usable and/or fightable in GW?

+ I_Wish_U_WuD on July 30th, 2014 at 10:53 am said:

Whatever happen to PS2 games on Vita???????????????????

+ TwinSnakezz on July 30th, 2014 at 10:56 am said:

Loving this game so much , hope Sony will push EA or doing something for EA to make this game for ps vita . This will be amazing game for ps vita and maybe this game will make more ps vita lover

+ iREVOLTER on July 30th, 2014 at 10:57 am said:

Modern Warfare, I’m here!!!

+ Tyrfing16 on July 30th, 2014 at 10:59 am said:

There will be an upgrade program for this game?

I’m asking because I just have a PS3 and I’m looking foward for this game but in PS4 . . . and I can buy a PS4 until November :(

This was the only reason I wanted a Xbox One . . . . thanks God I’ve been patient :) . . . but I can’t buy the game twice considering that I would have a PS4 with this game on Nov

+ Rainwater on July 30th, 2014 at 11:02 am said:

Since EA abandoned us at this generation console launch, not interested in anything they put out. Next time, pick consumers over console manufacturers.

+ Vyprstryke on July 30th, 2014 at 11:17 am said:

Can’t wait for this to come to PS4. It has been pretty much the only game I’ve played on my X1. Thank you guys for pushing out so much FREE content and not trying to cram the microtransactions down our throats. This game is a shining example of how I would love to see EA handle things going forward =)

+ CommandingTiger on July 30th, 2014 at 11:29 am said:

It has exclusive Hat!! GETTING IT… NOT!
After that the Xbox got it, it shouldn’t be full price.
Not only that, but they added a Pay to Win element on micro-transaction on it.
Nope, not falling for it.

+ Macello on July 30th, 2014 at 11:41 am said:

Please please please use the newer, default remote play control scheme for this that doesn’t use the rear touchpad at all (as seen in Infamous Second Son and on the dash.) Games that use the rear touchpad and the entire front screen remote play miserably. Custom control schemes also work out well.

Either way, thanks for bringing such visibility to the remote play feature. I use it more than I use my PS4 in my theater.

+ BahumatIsBack on July 30th, 2014 at 12:18 pm said:

Is Plants Vs Zombies online only? The store page is unclear but that’s the impression I get when looking on other sites but nobody comes right out and says one way or the other

+ ElektroDragon on July 30th, 2014 at 12:21 pm said:

PLEASE tell me the split screen player will get their relevant Trophies? PLEASE. There’s no excuse not to except laziness.

+ DKTorres on July 30th, 2014 at 12:39 pm said:

Could you bring Plants vs Zombies 2 And/ or Garden Warfare to the Ps Vita ? (; the first PVZ on Vita looks amazing and is my favorite of all versions ! Please consider bringing one or both of these games to Vita

+ Superstone on July 30th, 2014 at 1:02 pm said:

Plants vs Zombies 2 on Vita & PS4 please

+ tusunami on July 30th, 2014 at 1:53 pm said:

This looks like this would be fun and I can’t wait to play this.

+ ferrers405 on July 30th, 2014 at 2:25 pm said:

Can i play with players from both PS3 and PS4?

+ cowboyalex on July 30th, 2014 at 4:45 pm said:

can’t wait to play this on ps4!

+ RE_Player on July 30th, 2014 at 4:47 pm said:

Got it pre-ordered for PS4. Thank you for doing a retail version.

+ Kevin_David_Sosa on July 30th, 2014 at 5:40 pm said:

is there split screen in PS3 , please answer i love this game :)

+ SeanStrange on July 30th, 2014 at 6:56 pm said:

Looks actually.. Really fun. Can’t wait to delve into this!

+ weeskwee on July 30th, 2014 at 8:06 pm said:

Phenomenal game! I have had this on XB1 since release and it’s the best m/p on the system. Still really packed with players too. My plan is to switch over to the PS4 version since it’s my preferred system.

Chris, you guys are doing great work. Thanks for such a special game!

+ Langor on July 30th, 2014 at 10:24 pm said:

Thank god the wait is almost over. I had almost bought an XboxOne just so I could play this game with my girlfriend. Luckily, you guys made the teaser trailer and been waiting ever since. :)

+ JoeCamNet on July 31st, 2014 at 12:36 am said:

So happy to see that PS4 owners will finally get to enjoy this awesome game soon.
I’ve played it near non-stop since the Xbox One release and you guys are in for a treat. I’m tempted to pick it up on PS4 just so I can play with my PS4 friends who don’t own Xbox Ones.

Unity, my friends. We’re all gamers. Let’s just play and enjoy!

+ txwolf63 on July 31st, 2014 at 6:30 am said:

I love this game. I had it on the 360. Remember its online only unless the split screen two player is offline. I love that . I hated the fact that only one person on the 360 could play and there was no split screen. I like this game more than call of duty. And for people that are not good at multi player shooters ,this game will give everyone a chance to help,kill, level up, and have fun
See ya soon in the graveyard

+ KidGreengene on July 31st, 2014 at 7:31 am said:

This is hardly a game that I am dying to play… but it is a game that I am dying to play with my 5 year old. He gets booted from most retail type games and there are only so many 8-bit indies to play before they get a bit stale, so this is perfect. It may actually be a Day1 buy for me.

+ JoseTornero-26_7 on July 31st, 2014 at 11:37 am said:

Do you have to be online the whole time to play this game or be online to play split screen? Just curious …….

+ RulitoCR on July 31st, 2014 at 12:36 pm said:

I was trying to avoid this game but it looks soooo good!!

+ radioactivez0r on July 31st, 2014 at 12:36 pm said:

I skipped over the PC version because I was excited for the PS4 one; hope it turns out as fun as it sounds.

+ Augur2011 on July 31st, 2014 at 2:38 pm said:

@17, though this isn’t the best place for it, I agree

+ IcedDice777 on July 31st, 2014 at 3:49 pm said:

I like you PopCap, I dislike EA. But because you included Splitscreen Co-Op, i’ll consider picking this game in the future once the bargain bin edition hits along with a cup of ramen noddles attached to the box at my local Gamestop.

EA is notorious for shutting down servers on their games, The game will pretty much be useless once EA decides to shutdown the servers. Add 4 player splitSplitscreen or LAN and you’ll get me to pay full price for your game and efforts. My.02

+ aphonicnoise on July 31st, 2014 at 4:50 pm said:

To the vota comment. Whats the poijt. Remote play. The end.

+ jcboyless on August 1st, 2014 at 4:35 am said:

The description here makes it sound like the split-screen offline co-op is only a “PlayStation 4 Mode.”

Can you not play local split-screen co-op on PS3?

+ Dking002 on August 1st, 2014 at 9:12 am said:

Have this game on pc. Great game. I highly recommend this to anyone who don’t have it already

+ Welmosca on August 1st, 2014 at 11:47 am said:

Cool….the 1st PvZ is a helluva fun game…I’ll be waiting for this to hit the IGC for free…Maybe when you guys decide to not disrespect us PS playas and release your next game on PS without waiting to see if your bet was right or not…THEN I’ll think in support you guys like I did with the 1st PvZ.

Peace.

+ J3LACK-EAGLE on August 2nd, 2014 at 2:46 am said:

Is this coming out for vita?!

See I just answered that for you.

+ nroeder86 on August 2nd, 2014 at 8:31 am said:

Will my Xbox One progress transfer to the PS4 version through EA Origins. Id much rather have this for my PS4, but don’t want to lose my over 100 hours of progress. If not can you make it happen. Also I would like to see additional plant and zombie types added. For example sweet corn plant, delivery man zombie, you get the point. Also a pizza themed pack would be cool a tomato peashooter, chomper that uses cheese as goop, Finally how can there be a golf course level with no golf themed all star.

PAGE 1 2