PS4 - Destiny

The Drop: New PlayStation Games for 8/5/2014

Justin Massongill's Avatar + Posted by Justin Massongill on Aug 03, 2014 // SCEA Social Media Specialist

The Drop

Two long-awaited, rather mysterious titles are not only coming to PlayStation this week — they’ll be free for PlayStation Plus members from the get-go.

The adorably puzzling Road Not Taken puts players into the boots of a tiny ranger, seeking to rescue lost children after an unforgiving winter storm. Procedural level generation will keep you on your toes, and will mean a different story each time you play.

Metrico is an infographic-inspired side-scrolling platformer that uses PS Vita’s unique hardware to deliver an experience you won’t find anywhere else. Figure out how to manipulate the very world around you to overcome unassuming obstacles, and veg out to an ultra-chill soundtrack by Dutch composer Palmbomen.

Other highlights this week include The Swapper, part of the PlayStation Store PLAY 2014 promotion (PS Plus members can pre-order to save a few bucks), and a standalone version of legendary brawler Ultra Street Fighter IV. Read on for more details on this week’s new releases, and enjoy the Drop!

Metrico on PS Vita

Dirt-3MetricoMoto-GP-13

Road-Not-Taken

Sacred-3

Table-Top-Racing

The-Swapper

Ultra-SF-4

New PlayStation Games This Week

DiRT 3
PS3
Get ready for DiRT 3 – race over 50 years of iconic rally cars in the snow, rain and dirt or express yourself in freestyle gymkhana events. Featuring the most rally content in the series, experience incredible damage and stunning weather as you race singleplayer, splitscreen and online in multiplayer.
PS Vita
Metrico is a new world. A living world filled with infographics that react directly to your movement, actions and input. Visit this mysterious place and discover how everything you do affects it. With all of its puzzles and action, Metrico invites you to explore, experiment, test your skills and most of all: think outside the box.
PS Vita
2013 Riders, teams and tracks both simulation and accessible bike handling with scalable aids photorealistic graphics with TV style interface in-game voice over by official MotoGP commentators first person elements such as the helmet view and 3D pits to put you in the rider’s shoes.
PS4
The villagers of Road Not Taken believe that there is an optimal path through life: a good person gets a job, falls in love and has children. You won’t follow this path. Can you find your own unique way through a life?
Sacred 3
PS3
Choose from legendary heroes and fight together against the rise of evil. You will face hordes of grimmocs, brute beasts, legions of mercenaries and undead wizards. Develop your character’s skills and abilities and band together to use powerful co-op abilities and tactics. Victory is Ours. Glory is Mine.
PS Vita
Table Top Racing is a fast and furious miniaturised combat racing game that pits all manner of crazy cars and automobiles against each other. Welcome to a world of table top race tracks, over-sized obstacles and insane power-ups.
PS4, PS3, Vita
The Swapper takes place in an isolated and atmospheric sci-fi world. Players wield an experimental device which allows them to create clones of themselves, swapping their entire consciousness into new bodies to overcome the challenges of the environment.
PS3
The world’s greatest fighting game evolves to a whole new level with Ultra Street Fighter IV. Continuing the tradition of excellence the series is known for, five new characters and six new stages have been added for even more fighting mayhem, with rebalanced gameplay and original modes topping off this ultimate offering. As an additional bonus, enjoy all previously released DLC costumes!

The information above is subject to change without notice.

PAGE 1 2 3
Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:01 am said:

Ryan’s out this week, so I’ll be your guide for this edition of The Drop. Please keep your arms and legs inside the blog!

+ jahonius80 on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:08 am said:

Oooh, Metrico…

I’ve had my eyes on this game for a while now.

It’s about time!

Thank you for the update, Justin!

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:09 am said:

My pleasure! Metrico is mighty intriguing — the small bit of it I’ve played sold me on it immediately.

+ LightTriforce on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:10 am said:

Wasn’t Ultra Street Fighter 4 already out in the PSN Store?

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:11 am said:

As a digital upgrade, yes. This is the standalone version of the game.

+ guyminsberghe on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:10 am said:

When will Phantom Breaker be released?

+ FifthDream on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:12 am said:

Looking forward to trying out Road Not Taken. It looks like a lot of fun.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:17 am said:

Hi! Yep, been looking forward to this one for some time now.

+ xxCTRLALTDELxx on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:13 am said:

I hope Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds is out this week.

Was the podcast recorded this week?

+ winterdust on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:15 am said:

Not bad, but Diablo 3 on ps4 can’t come soon enough. TWO MORE WEEKS!!

+ boomstickbhg on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:15 am said:

Are these titles Digital releases? Are they Physical? Are they a mix of both?

Why did that information not get included this week?

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:31 am said:

D’oh, I knew I forgot something! Sorry!

+ Limaao388 on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:16 am said:

When is The Road Not Taken coming for PsVita?

+ ASC2175 on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:16 am said:

I guess whilst I play Metrico, I’ll still be deciding if I wanna pre-order Destiny for LittleBigPlanet 3 first.

+ silversly80 on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:17 am said:

Can we get some games that are less arcade and more RPG oriented? These titles aren’t enticing in the slightest. In fact they’re all awful.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:21 am said:

Plenty in the pipeline. Danganronpa 2 and Freedom Wars come to mind. Metrico and Road Not Taken will both be free on Plus on day one. I see you’re a member, so give it a shot! You might be surprised.

+ ytl1986 on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:17 am said:

Sucks, we have to wait a little bit longer for “Road Not Taken” to be on Vita. At least we have “The Swapper” for this week.

+ WAHDAWi-UAE on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:18 am said:

Minecraft !?

+ MXC_3664 on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:18 am said:

So Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds is coming out this week right? Right? RIGHT?!

+ silversly80 on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:19 am said:

I mean when are we gonna get some good ones for the PS4 the PS3 owners are getting some sweet titles.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:26 am said:

Diablo III and Destiny are both on the way, and both have heavy RPG elements in place. I’ve been hooked on Final Fantasy XIV too, and can recommend it heartily. Looks killer on PS4.

+ chordsofsteel on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:19 am said:

Are we going to start seeing the PS4 digital games pick up some steam soon in the PSN store (not talking about retail games)? I’m starting to regret getting my PS4 so soon. :/

+ MXC_3664 on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:22 am said:

Never mind Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds is coming August 12th as declared by 5pb. games USA on their twitter.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:24 am said:

There ya go. Thanks for the detective work. ;D

+ ytl1986 on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:23 am said:

Almost forgot about Metrico. Such a simple puzzling and creative game like Echochorme.

+ TeamGreen615 on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:24 am said:

Justin, thanks for the drop. I am also curious about digital or physical versions of the games. I would love to have MotoGP for the Vita if there is a retail version. When it comes to racing games on the Vita we usually don’t get them retail like Europe does. MotoGP 2013, WRC 3 & 4, and Mud.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:35 am said:

I based this off our list of upcoming digital releases, though a quick search seems to indicate that Sacred 3, DiRT 3 and Ultra SF4 are getting physical releases as well.

+ Mando44646 on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:25 am said:

…really?

And I continue to see no reason to even touch my Vita and PS4. What is this, like 3 or 4 months straight of nothing for either console? Last games I played on them were Borderlands on Vita and Infamous on PS4. I guess Im sticking to consoles that are not barren wastelands of content and whose creators actually support them – such as 3DS and PS3

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:29 am said:

I count 2 PS4 games and 4 Vita games on this week’s list, not to mention TLOU Remastered and Rogue Legacy last week!

+ DDG447 on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:28 am said:

Still no Suikoden 2

+ Daemius on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:28 am said:

I actually enjoyed Sacred 2. I might have to pick up Sacred 3. I had no idea it was this close to release.

+ MrStinkyCrease on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:30 am said:

It wasn’t even that long ago that we got moto gp , it’s bad enough that you keep repeating games that I received from plus many years ago but now you’re repeating them within, whatttt.. 3 months.

+ Kai_Shenlong on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:34 am said:

@WAHDAWi-UAE

8/19 is the release date for MineCraft on PS4/PSVita.

+ OldMovieCowboy on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:35 am said:

I thought I would be buying The Swapper this week as I was really looking forward to it but the price is BS. The retail price for it on PC is $15 on PS4 it’s $20 without pre-order and having plus. I don’t like that and will just have to wait until the game goes on sale or becomes a free plus title.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:37 am said:

I see you’re a Plus member — you can save a few bucks if you pre-order, and you can save a few more bucks if you’re picking that up alongside any of the other PS Store PLAY titles. Details here.

+ MrPonuraski on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:41 am said:

Make it happen, SCEA. =)

+ tito23cool on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:43 am said:

Will road not taken have trophies? But either way im looking foward to it :)

+ MrStinkyCrease on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:44 am said:

Yea if you’re in the US u can save more. But unfortunately I live in the uk, n we don’t get the PLAY offer. We rarely get any offers Infact. And if you compare them to US, they’re not even offers.

+ snakeeyes211 on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:46 am said:

When are we getting HBO go for the PS4?

+ Doc_Tury on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:47 am said:

Already Pre-Ordered The Swapper, it looks great! All the PLAY titles look great! Playing the hell out of Rogue Legacy! And the PLUS games look very interesting!

+ OldMovieCowboy on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:48 am said:

^ I know but out of principle I won’t buy until it’s $15 or below. I feel like the publisher made the price $20 just so they can say what a great sale this is in saving $4 when the starting price tag not including a sale should be $15 like it is on PC.

+ Rezolution77 on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:52 am said:

Metrico is the only one I do not own that I would use Plus for.

Chances are there may be a sale on it later, so will hold of renewing for now.

Loved your Superhero sale though.

Will be checking back, for a sale worth resubscribing, and even a little tempted to buy Gravity Rush while not a member (even though I have disk), or Dokturo.

If only more of your Vita games had that price.

+ fadingshadow on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:56 am said:

Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds for PlayStation Vita will be releasing on August 12, 2014 as confirmed by the game developer’s official twitter account.

+ Mando44646 on August 3rd, 2014 at 12:01 pm said:

@Justin Massongill

Thanks for pointing out that Vita and PS4 have releases this week, I didn’t say they didn’t. I said there has been nothing of interest to play – because there’s no variety! I see racing games, which I don’t care about, and I see overpriced Indies which I also don’t care about (even *if* they were fairly priced). I’m kinda sick of Sony shoving Indies down our collective throat as is everyone should like the same genres. That’s why my Vita is useless and I regret falling for your lies on the Vita being a portable console experience

+ walter6869 on August 3rd, 2014 at 12:04 pm said:

Looking forward to Swapper.

+ Rezolution77 on August 3rd, 2014 at 12:06 pm said:

Any word on if Sword Art Online Hallow Fragment is still on its way?

+ RoD_GX on August 3rd, 2014 at 12:08 pm said:

Wait, is that correct? “Moto GP 13″? I thought it was 2014, last year’s edition is already available in the US. At least on Amazon, and it’s region-free. Will we see the 2014 edition getting a physical release in the US or is it digital-only? Furthermore, when are we going to get that Vita update which will effectively increase the memory card’s read speed to reduce loading time?

Also, for those of you asking about Phantom Breaker, according to Wikipedia, it’s going to be released on August 12th – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_Breaker

+ AizawaYuuichi on August 3rd, 2014 at 12:09 pm said:

As MXC already pointed out, here’s the link for PBBG >
twitter.com/5pbgamesUSA/status/494630087732375552

+ RoD_GX on August 3rd, 2014 at 12:09 pm said:

Also, for those of you asking about Phantom Breaker, according to Wikipedia, it’s going to be released on August 12, 2014.

+ Rezolution77 on August 3rd, 2014 at 12:13 pm said:

Also, do you guys not want to sell PSP games?
Really do need some sales on those, and coudn’t hurt to see about adding some.

I almost would rather prefer to play them over some more of your current releases, but at those prices …no way.
Still waiting for Syphon Filters myself, and a sale on 3rd birthday.

Its the little things sometimes, that show a good company over a bad one.

+ AizawaYuuichi on August 3rd, 2014 at 12:14 pm said:

Mando44646 on August 3rd, 2014 at 11:25 am said: “What is this, like 3 or 4 months straight of nothing for either console?”

This is what you said, since you seem to have forgotten. This is not “lack of interest to you”. You claimed both systems had “nothing”. That’s why he corrected you.
And “indie” games are not a genre. Unless you consider fighting games, racing games, puzzle games, beat ‘em ups, shmups and RPGs to all be the same genre.
I’m kinda sick of people hating on indie games without seemingly ever having played ANY OF THEM, because there are a ton of amazing ones out there, especially on PS4 (the ratio of good to bad on PC is a lot lower, as there’s no real quality control in that ecosystem). Rogue Legacy is amazingly fun and addictive, just as the latest example of a good indie game.

+ maltyler84 on August 3rd, 2014 at 12:21 pm said:

Thanks for the Drop. How come I see no mention at all about Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment anywhere on PSN? If I do find any information it’s on the EU release. Is this coming out Aug. 19th?

+ mrcoldflame901 on August 3rd, 2014 at 12:26 pm said:

I was wondering if there will be an update for Playstation Now to announce any new ps3 game available through the service similar to the drop?

+ BwhoUwannaB on August 3rd, 2014 at 12:28 pm said:

Tthanks for the drop. No Killzone Shadow Fall Intercept standalone version?
Is this still coming out Aug. 5th?

+ SeanStrange on August 3rd, 2014 at 12:43 pm said:

Nice drop. Really can’t wait to play Road not Taken. Also, isn’t DiRT 3 already out on the PS3? Is it getting a re-release or something?

+ Fullmetal156 on August 3rd, 2014 at 12:47 pm said:

Hey justin quick question, will sacred 3 be available digital or only physical?

+ NinjaMicWZ on August 3rd, 2014 at 1:08 pm said:

This stuff like WRC4 & Moto GP 13 have taken quite a long time to get here… they were physical retail releases in UK and Moto GP 14 has been out there for awhile.

+ NinjaMicWZ on August 3rd, 2014 at 1:11 pm said:

Also, yeah, Swapper is really expensive, and Road Not Taken’s Vita release is delayed? Oh well, have too many Vita games to buy this month anyway.

+ Fleppey on August 3rd, 2014 at 1:12 pm said:

Minecraft? :I

+ duke301 on August 3rd, 2014 at 1:15 pm said:

Nothing for me this week unless something is on sale. The Last of Us and Rogue Legacy are probably going to keep me busy at least until Diablo III in a couple weeks.

PAGE 1 2 3