Driveclub

Hands-on: Metrico on PS Vita

Justin Massongill's Avatar + Posted by Justin Massongill on Aug 04, 2014 // SCEA Social Media Specialist

Metrico, Digital Dreams‘ input-morphing, mind-bending puzzle platformer, hits PS Vita tomorrow (for free if you’re a PlayStation Plus member). In it, players will need to think in unexpected ways to overcome obstacles like bar graphs, pie charts, and… wait, what?

Yeah, Metrico’s gameplay centers around the world of infographics. Charts manifest and shift as you run and jump — one puzzle even requires the player to throw themselves into a bottomless pit to summon a bar graph, creating a bridge to the next area.

The music in Metrico is worth pointing out. It comes courtesy of Dutch composer Palmbomen, and it delivers some seriously slick atmosphere to this weird, genre-bending game.

Metrico on PS Vita

Metrico isn’t really the easiest thing to describe with words, though. Thus, I humbly present a hands-on video recently recorded in our studio here at PlayStation HQ. Cast your gaze back to the top of this very page and watch me infograph!

+ V-Angelus01 on August 4th, 2014 at 2:41 pm said:

What the best thing about this game is that its free for psplus members right on its release! So excited to play this game. It has a very interesting mechanic in it. Very awesome

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on August 4th, 2014 at 4:09 pm said:

Yeah! I’m pumped to play the full version. Really cool that they’re bringing it to Plus right at launch. :)

+ MarinoBrea on August 4th, 2014 at 3:14 pm said:

An elegant game for a more civilized age.

+ sciteach on August 4th, 2014 at 3:28 pm said:

hah! @marinobrea thanks Ben.

Anyway, I’ve played a bunch of this too. I can’t recommend it more for a Vita puzzle fan. Perfect! So good to have a Vita exclusive!

+ TomHoang on August 4th, 2014 at 3:45 pm said:

Looking forward to playing this tomorrow!

+ V-Angelus01 on August 4th, 2014 at 4:36 pm said:

Actually kinda gives me a “thomas was alone” vibe in it. I dont know. Maybe cuz of lots of rectagular shapes as the platform. Just sayin.

+ PiotrRasputinBR on August 4th, 2014 at 4:38 pm said:

@MarinoBrea This is the game you are looking for.

+ TJF588 on August 4th, 2014 at 4:52 pm said:

List of reasons I need to get me a Vita now hosts “Metrico”.

+ Rezolution77 on August 4th, 2014 at 5:08 pm said:

Just not enough to get me to resubscribe this month.
I’ll try to grab it when a sale hits down the road.

+ Solid_Duff on August 4th, 2014 at 5:39 pm said:

I don’t know what to expect from this game but I really want to play it. Since it is free though, it won’t hurt to try. Plus, this should hold me off until Hohokum comes out. Been stuck on that soundtrack for a while now.

+ corkwon on August 4th, 2014 at 6:01 pm said:

I feel like this game supports synergy and product integration by use of Microsoft Office, which will speak volumes for supporting our overhead. Hopefully with its release in the 2Q it will increase revenue enough to subset the cost of licensing and the junk bonds and blah blah blah I cant wait till tomorrow!!!!!!!!

+ dancer1946 on August 4th, 2014 at 6:41 pm said:

Doesn’t Vita already have too many junk indie platformers?

+ hazelcabug on August 4th, 2014 at 7:54 pm said:

Sad for those who only owns a vita, ps plus have become an indie subscription this past 9 months.

+ nagids on August 4th, 2014 at 8:02 pm said:

I wonder if all the games of psplus are going to be free tomorrow? I mean, in the post of The drop it says that only metrico and road not taken will be on stores from tomorrow, but what happens with the other ones? /sorry for my english.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on August 5th, 2014 at 8:47 am said:

Yep, as a couple commenters below pointed out, the whole PS Plus lineup goes live tomorrow. Metrico and Road Not Taken are new games, which happen to be free from day 1, which is why they’re listed in The Drop.

+ djsaiyan on August 4th, 2014 at 8:39 pm said:

@13

All PS+ games now go up on the first Tuesday of the month. They must’ve missed it in the Drop.

+ marc1631 on August 4th, 2014 at 9:08 pm said:

@13 The games in the Drop are just the games that launche this week. The other PS+ games have already been release.

+ MushThePainter on August 4th, 2014 at 9:56 pm said:

Great video Justin, please do more like these more often

+ demonoito on August 5th, 2014 at 2:56 am said:

look forward to it, look so cool.

+ zirocrath on August 5th, 2014 at 4:29 am said:

So this is what we get to play in a console that can do much much better..
Anyone played Crush on PSP? Same concept, so nothing new here…

Keep praising this kind of game, and this kind of game is all we (PSVita-Only owners) will get.

#RegretingsellingmyPSP

+ BlueBl1zzard on August 5th, 2014 at 7:17 am said:

Wooo! Been waiting for this for a while. Can’t wait to play!

+ trum3n1 on August 5th, 2014 at 8:01 am said:

Sometimes it feels like you make those kinda games just to make it free for PS+ because no one would pay a dollar to play this. There are better games for free on the cellphones.

+ Welmosca on August 5th, 2014 at 11:48 am said:

The only thing that turns me off of this game is the amount of pyramids….but anyway I was looking forward to try out this game…can’t believe its going to be free right in the release.

+ Welmosca on August 5th, 2014 at 11:52 am said:

@ 20 trum3n1 – Then what is your objective being stupid here in the comments?…..go play those better games in your phone.

“because no one would pay a dollar to play this”

What are you?…..the voice of people?

+ Gordonboy2 on August 5th, 2014 at 1:25 pm said:

So pumped for this… Tried the demo for a minute in Gamestop the other day and was blown away!!!

Love my Vita just because of games like this!!!

+ trum3n1 on August 6th, 2014 at 7:51 am said:

@22 you’re an idiot. Cause of people like you we still get many crap games for PS+.

+ Welmosca on August 6th, 2014 at 10:58 am said:

@ 24 trum3n1 – Me? an idiot?….who is you to say that?….you’re surrounded by foolishness…..the only crap I see is what’s inside your brain….we barely got any bad game on Plus…real gamers know how to appreciate good games.But spoiled people like you….are what makes our community rot.

+ Paulliee on August 9th, 2014 at 3:26 pm said:

I’ve been playing Metrico a little less than a week now and I’m amazed by how addictive and fun it is, I also enjoy how segmented it is so I can pick it up for a couple of minutes at a time if I feel like it and then continue right where I left off later. reminds me if the PSOne game… I think it was called iQ? anyways kudos to the developers. Also looking forward to trying Dragons Crown just as soon as I find myself a bigger memory card at a good price!