PS4-The Order

Unmechanical: Extended Edition Coming to PS4, PS3, Vita

Jakub Mikyska's Avatar + Posted by Jakub Mikyska on Aug 08, 2014 // CEO, Grip Games

Hi everyone! This is Jakub from Grip Games, the team that brought you The Impossible Game and the upcoming Jet Car Stunts. It is my pleasure to be finally able to tell you about our next great project that we are working on right now – Unmechanical: Extended Edition for PS3, PS4 and PS Vita.

Unmechanical, originally made by Talawa Games and Teotl Studios for PC, is a gorgeous puzzle platformer that won numerous awards for its visual design and, even more importantly, won the hearts of players all around the world. It now finally comes to the PSN in an extended edition that brings new puzzles and story, published by Grip Games.

If you have never heard of Unmechanical before, it may remind you of some of the classic games in the genre, like Limbo, Machinarium or the Oddworld series. You control a little flying robot that has been kidnapped into a strange underground complex. In order to get out, you will have to solve the mystery of this strangely un-mechanical place and also solve numerous puzzles along the way. See the trailer to experience the unique feel of the game and see what’s waiting for you in the world of Unmechanical.

Unmechanical: Extended Edition on PS4, PS3 and VitaUnmechanical: Extended Edition on PS4, PS3 and Vita

The Extended edition brings a completely new adventure in the underground complex, where we learn more about the secrets of the place and meet new characters. This content is exclusive to game consoles and you won’t be able to play it anywhere else.

Unmechanical: Extended Edition is made using the Unreal Engine technology and that means it is going to be gorgeous to look at. It runs at 60fps and 1080p on PS4, and it may be one of the best looking games for PS Vita yet. You can, of course, count on cross-buy once the game is released.

Unmechanical: Extended Edition on PS4, PS3 and Vita

It will come out later this year, or at the beginning of the next. We will be showing you much more from the game in the coming months here at the PlayStation Blog. You can find out more right now at the game’s official web page, our Twitter, or Facebook.

I will be around to answer your questions here, so feel free to ask me anything that you would like to know about Unmechanical: Extended Edition!

+ snakeeyes211 on August 8th, 2014 at 11:42 am said:

I hope this game has a platinum trophy

+ Lacerz on August 8th, 2014 at 11:43 am said:

Looks interesting. I’ll keep my eye on this one.

+ Dethfuse on August 8th, 2014 at 11:43 am said:

Game looks like a lot of fun. Is there any chance that there will be a cooperative mode?

+ tylerh1701 on August 8th, 2014 at 11:47 am said:

Looks like my kind of game. Is it fairly linear, or is kinda of a “Metroidvania” style game with a world map and upgrades that help you access once-inaccessible places?

Jakub Mikyska's Avatar

+ Jakub Mikyska on August 8th, 2014 at 12:02 pm said:

I would say it is halfway there. You can back trace and access some otherwise inaccessible areas thanks to an upgrade you get along the way, but it is just one upgrade. The levels are quite non-linear and you can solve many of the puzzles in the order you want.

+ poodude on August 8th, 2014 at 11:51 am said:

You guys at Grip Games sure are busy (not that I’m complaining!)

+ FearMonkey on August 8th, 2014 at 11:54 am said:

Looks like everything I want in a game, assuming it controls well. Bring it on. :)

+ SeanStrange on August 8th, 2014 at 11:55 am said:

Did I hear puzzle? I’m instantly in!

+ Amnalehu on August 8th, 2014 at 12:33 pm said:

I am so glad I got a PS4 and a Vita! Thank you so much for the cross save feature!

+ CrusaderForever on August 8th, 2014 at 12:47 pm said:

@8

I agree, the best combo in gaming! This looks great! Puzzle is the only word I need. Addicted to The Swapper right now. Looking forward to this as well. Thanks!

+ Elvick_ on August 8th, 2014 at 12:52 pm said:

Usually hate comparisons, but the whole game reminds me of LittleBigPlanet while using a jetpack.

Still looks nice though

+ PanTheMan16 on August 8th, 2014 at 1:43 pm said:

Looks neat, and I like the Machinarium reference. :’D
Are you aiming for a 2014 release? Fall? Winter? Will there be motion controls, either with the DS4 or Move? Does it have a strong soundtrack?

Jakub Mikyska's Avatar

+ Jakub Mikyska on August 8th, 2014 at 2:54 pm said:

It looks like a late 2014. We are not considering motion controls ATM. The soundtrack is truly great. We will share more info about it in the future. But it is quite possible we may even release the soundtrack for download.

+ tusunami on August 8th, 2014 at 1:58 pm said:

Uh not really sure about this as it didn’t really grab my attention but i’m sure someone will enjoy this when it makes it debut.

+ Rezolution77 on August 8th, 2014 at 2:26 pm said:

Would like to see a few AAA games also, but looks more promising than many that came before.

Looking forward to this one.

+ xClayMeow on August 8th, 2014 at 2:46 pm said:

Should be a perfect fit for the Vita!

Just please price it well, unlike Rogue Legacy and The Swapper, which are inexplicably higher than the Steam version (not even counting sales). Don’t use cross-buy as an excuse to charge more….or if you do, then I’d love to see studios start selling individual copies for those of us that only care for one platform.

Jakub Mikyska's Avatar

+ Jakub Mikyska on August 8th, 2014 at 2:55 pm said:

We have never sold a game for more than 9.99 and this won’t be an exception ;-)

+ Amir_G_M_US on August 8th, 2014 at 3:37 pm said:

The game looks like total fun!!! I really like this kind of games!

We are 2014… I hope there’s a demo at least.. I have always said it
(Sony promised to have a demo for each PS4 game – I do not see this happening yet, but I hope things will change)

I bought Rainbow Moon after I tried it! Guacamelee and a few others. but many Indies do not provide a demo, which is sad :(

please consider putting a demo

+ xClayMeow on August 8th, 2014 at 4:22 pm said:

There’s a demo on Steam you can try…any PC over the past ten years should be able to run it.

+ GummyCore on August 8th, 2014 at 4:23 pm said:

Personally I am very tired of seeing the waves of indies invading the PS4. However, this game shows that an indie puzzle side-scrolling platformer (or something like that) doesn’t have to look like jaggy 8-bit blurry blocks. The graphics alone makes this an indie worth watching.

+ Rezolution77 on August 8th, 2014 at 4:52 pm said:

Ummm , Hold Up.

You might want to put that price reply in red.

Under $10 bucks and CrossBuy, might just be another Day One here.

+ plaztiksyke on August 8th, 2014 at 5:43 pm said:

This is a great game, I’m so glad it’s coming to PlayStation!

Nice to hear about the soundtrack, but will it be HD audio assets (24-bit FLAC/lossless) on PS4 and/or PS3?

the depth of the background parallax is pretty epic, like Trine 2. will the game support stereoscopic 3D on 3DTVs like Trine 2?

what graphical aspects (besides resolution) will be downgraded on Vita, if any? what upgrades does the PS4 have, as far as lighting, etc, over the PC version?

will the Vita version have an unlocked framerate like other Unreal Engine titles on that platform?

thanks in advance for answering!

Jakub Mikyska's Avatar

+ Jakub Mikyska on August 9th, 2014 at 8:35 am said:

The PS4 version runs at 1080p and 60fps and has very hight textures and lighting effects. PS3 and Vita are 30fps (locked due to vsync) and 720p (and native for Vita). The graphics on PS3 and Vita is more or less the same. Vita has slightly lower textures, but on the other hand, the resolution and screen is smaller, so the final look of things is the same.

+ Paulliee on August 9th, 2014 at 3:40 pm said:

Looks Interesting! Will definitely keep my eyes on this one.

+ Rainwater on August 10th, 2014 at 4:34 am said:

I’ve been interested in this game since I saw a quick look on “Giantbomb.com”. Super excited that it’s coming to Vita.

+ MooreLoneStar on August 10th, 2014 at 11:24 pm said:

Is this the age of the return of the platformer? Whats a brother gotta do to get a RPG in here? (looks like a great game btw)