LittleBigPlanet 3

Hohokum Out Today on PS4, PS3, PS Vita

Ricky Haggett's Avatar + Posted by Ricky Haggett on Aug 12, 2014 // Designer & Co-Founder, Honeyslug

Okay wow, the day has finally arrived: the Long Mover’s tail has been polished and waxed, the Giant Babirusa’s tusks sharpened, and the Popnuts buffed to a high gloss: it’s Hohokum laaaaaunch day! You can purchase today on PlayStation Store, and Hohokum supports cross buy for PS4, PS3, and PS Vita.

It’s a curiously emotional feeling to finally be done. I know that a lot of you folks have been waiting for Hohokum for a while now, so I hope you agree that the wait was worth it. Possibly the best part about the public release for me is that I’ll now be able to talk about the whole game rather than just the parts that we’ve shown so far. I can’t wait to hear what people make of all those other places, and seeing all the experiences you share!

The last few weeks have seen people getting (rightly) excited by the amazing soundtrack: a collaboration with the independent record label Ghostly International. Working with Ghostly has been a delight. We never imagined Hohokum would sound like this when starting out! The full soundtrack will be released soon, but you can stream it here now for free, and pre-order the digital and vinyl releases here. The record features all of the original tracks written for the game on rainbow vinyl. Rainbow vinyl! Time to dust off your phonographs (or in my case, haul it up from the cellar).

11183_JKT11183_JKTVinyl1jpgVinyl2

Also today we have a new behind-the-scenes film to share on the Music of Hohokum, featuring Ghostly Artists Ben Benjamin and Michna, as well as composer Joel Corelitz and the folks at Santa Monica studio who helped pull it all together.

That’s almost everything, but there’s just one last thing: The Hohokum Almanac. What’s that, you ask? Well… it’s a kind of travelogue or field guide to the world of Hohokum: containing details on its inhabitants, culture, flora and fauna… plus cutaways, gossip, shopping tips, myths and legends and – of course – cocktail recipes. We made it in collaboration with the fine folk over at iam8bit. Filmed in glorious hardcover, with 80 full-color pages, it will be available digitally, as well as at select retailers from August 12th. I’m sure you’ll be hearing more about the Almanac in the weeks to come – stay tuned.

300dpi_Beauty_Shot-Hohokum_Almanac

Okay, that’s it from me. Enjoy Hohokum, everyone! Hope you have as much fun playing it as much as we did making it.

+ nagids on August 12th, 2014 at 5:16 am said:

Yeahh !!! I’ve been waiting for this since the first announcement!

+ Brooklyn008 on August 12th, 2014 at 5:20 am said:

The game looks really cool in this video! Question though, what is this game about? I have no clue by looking at this video…

Game looks beautiful and intriguing. Colors, so much colors. Artistic. Love it. I guess this is cool for young kids as well??

Ricky Haggett's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on August 12th, 2014 at 6:56 am said:

You take on the role of a curious flying Technicolor kite-like being. Along your travels through the vibrant world, you will be able to uncover secrets by interacting with elements around them in different ways such as carrying characters to new areas on their back or flying over objects to illuminate them. The world of Hohokum is full of surprise; even running into certain objects can be its own reward as the interaction produces a tune or sounds that add to the level’s music track. From the way you navigate the world to the various ways characters communicate to the abstract vivid artwork, Hohokum is an expressive and mesmerizing universe. While there are goals, secrets and Trophies discovered along the way, at its heart, Hohokum is a playground — a place to wander about and get lost in.

+ Optimizm on August 12th, 2014 at 5:27 am said:

Why is the Vita version still locked out?

+ AizawaYuuichi on August 12th, 2014 at 5:32 am said:

It’s not just the Vita version. My PS4 tells me that the game can now be used, and the Timer in the Library hit “0″ at 9PM PDT, but the game tile itself still has a timer on it that won’t unlock until 10AM PDT, which is when Sony’s Gamescom presser starts. I don’t understand why this game’s pre-order got messed up when Rogue Legacy was fine, and both Counter-Spy and First Light seem to be fine.
Either way, already paid my money, annoyed that I can’t play what I should be able to.

+ Patsrule0316 on August 12th, 2014 at 5:34 am said:

I don’t preorder digital games very often (if at all), but I preordered Hohokum. It looks interesting, fun, and different, and I am looking forward to experiencing it. Best of luck!

+ MachachA101 on August 12th, 2014 at 5:57 am said:

Was waiting a looooot for this, im a loy into this type of games.but, BUT, I still have some doubts…. will wait for some reviews

+ TJF588 on August 12th, 2014 at 6:30 am said:

Got to be midnight, tried playing. Hour later, tried playing. Hour later, tried. The next failed attempt, checked the Information screen, and it’s set for noon my time. Augh! The suspense! (Especially since I’ve kept myself largely ignorant of what to expect outta this; it’s just been on my radar since the final PS Home E3 event.)

Ricky Haggett's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on August 12th, 2014 at 7:07 am said:

Try again by midday today, we’re at the behest of when the PSN Store updates officially which should be asap

+ SpyDudeFX on August 12th, 2014 at 6:38 am said:

It looks like a great experience and I already preordered the soundtrack, do you know when they will email us the link to download it? I also want to express disappointment with the unlock process. At midnight ET, the system said you can access Hohokum but the timer remains for 1PM ET today. Weird launch time? Can’t wait to dive in and explore later.

Ricky Haggett's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on August 12th, 2014 at 7:08 am said:

Point noted, but nonetheless, the relaxation of the game will soothe you over shortly!

+ smartham on August 12th, 2014 at 6:42 am said:

I can’t get past the title. Worst name ever.

+ Rainwater on August 12th, 2014 at 7:21 am said:

Super frustrating that the game is downloaded to my Vita yet I can’t play it yet. Dear Sony, what’s the point of pre-ordering and pre-downloading if I can’t play at midnight? This is my most anticipated game for this year and Sony is putting a damper on the experience.

+ Elvick_ on August 12th, 2014 at 7:28 am said:

No CD version of the soundtrack? Bummer.

The PS Vita livearea censors the name of the game btw. I was talking with a friend about it in one of them, and it censored it.

+ SeanStrange on August 12th, 2014 at 7:29 am said:

Can’t wait to pick this up later this week. Looks amazing. Good job guys!

+ PanTheMan16 on August 12th, 2014 at 7:48 am said:

ooo that reminds me I can play it now!

+ Macello on August 12th, 2014 at 7:51 am said:

Very disappointed with the 1 pm timer. What was the point of that?

+ mockduck on August 12th, 2014 at 7:54 am said:

Been looking forward to this game for a while! Congrats on hitting release day, can’t wait to play it.

+ harrypoopers on August 12th, 2014 at 8:23 am said:

@ Elvick: CD?!?
Do yourself a favor and buy vinyl.

+ sethyg36 on August 12th, 2014 at 8:24 am said:

YAY it’s finally here. My brother and I have been waiting for this for a year or so and it’s hard to believe it’s actually out now. I can’t wait to play it!

+ FifthDream on August 12th, 2014 at 9:03 am said:

I preordered the vinyl, even though i don’t have anything to play i on. I just wanted to have it (and i can listen digitally).

The almanac has me excited. I’ll need to get it.

I have to wait to get off work today to play, but i think i’ll clock out a little early. ;) I’m going to steam my first play.

I’m really looking forward to a relaxing game that i can just sit and enjoy. No twitching, no startling, just playing and listening and soaking in the art of it. Thanks everyone involved in making and releasing this game. You rock.

+ Nonslaught7 on August 12th, 2014 at 9:09 am said:

I can’t wait to play the game! I preordered the vinyl soundtrack and now I’ve got my eye on that almanac! o_O

+ FifthDream on August 12th, 2014 at 9:12 am said:

OH! I’m ordering the (SIGNED!) Hohokum Almanac right now! (It’s in my cart.) I’ll be so proud to have this on my bookshelf. Can’t wait to look at it. Thanks again guys. You’re awesome.

+ Elvick_ on August 12th, 2014 at 9:28 am said:

@15: no.

+ swissmr on August 12th, 2014 at 9:33 am said:

Got da Vinyl, very excited. …Now I know why I like this game so much it reminds me of Yellow Submarine, best movie EVER

+ hamedj2 on August 12th, 2014 at 10:00 am said:

Finally i can download it …One of the best game on PS4. Happy to pre-ordered it :)

+ God-Of-Lyf on August 12th, 2014 at 11:54 am said:

It looks so childish, Just like every other indie before it. Isn’t no way in Hades I’d be caught playing this garbage…!

+ Rockonslaught on August 12th, 2014 at 5:55 pm said:

Almost 9pm EST and it won’t play. I downloaded the game tonight on the PS3 and I cannot get past the title screen. I’ve been waiting so long to play this. Very disappointing- I blame Sony

+ Rockonslaught on August 12th, 2014 at 6:51 pm said:

Disabled cloud save by turning off my internet and it worked. The future is here *snark* I live in a major us city and the internet is too weak for cloud save. Wonderful. I bet I’ll be using a lot of PS Now.

+ rarobbiey on August 12th, 2014 at 10:48 pm said:

Can’t wait to get home and play this tonight.

Vinyl purchased. Looking forward to dusting off the 1210′s and firing it up.

Almanac is also extremely tempting.

+ Yourfacedotcom on August 13th, 2014 at 12:30 am said:

I still can’t download this on PS4. It says purchased, yet there is no Download button showing up. I tried restoring licenses and that didn’t work. Is there any work around for this??? I was really looking forward to this game.

LIKE REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO IT…..

I’m pretty disappointed right now in PSN or the devs of this title. Not sure who to blame really.

+ sheepeater2 on August 13th, 2014 at 4:40 am said:

It’d be awesome if, after buying and downloading it, I could actually start the application… All I (and after a Google search dozens of others) get is “Cannot start the application (CE-34632-8)”.

Deleted it, downloaded it again, same thing. Restarted my PS4, same thing again. When will this be fixed, guys? Pretty lame to have an error like this on launch day.

+ bestpersonevar on August 13th, 2014 at 7:10 am said:

same error message here. “Cannot start the application (CE-34632-8)”

+ Illegal_Ideas on August 13th, 2014 at 11:26 am said:

I was really looking forward to playing this game, but I continually get a message. “Cannot start the application (CE-34632-8)”
I tried resetting the data, and it is still coming up with the same message. Is this game just not going to work?

+ Helm1975 on August 13th, 2014 at 1:25 pm said:

Still can’t open Hohokum!

+ Hockymn264 on August 13th, 2014 at 1:45 pm said:

I’m also getting the error on PS4. Tried deleting it and redownloading it but now the PS Store wants me to purchase it again to be able to download it. Really a bummer since I was so excited to play it… I guess I’ll go try to get it on my PS3 now.

+ North6 on August 13th, 2014 at 6:01 pm said:

Yea this is busted on PS4, It won’t download, just says “purchased” int the store where download or buy would be. When I click on it via one of the various ads I just see an “X” where the download or buy button would normally be, when I click on that I get an error “Cannot find the application. Do you want to look in the Playstation Store?”, which when I click yes i am taken to the store page with the “purchased” text.

Every other game works fine that I’ve purchased, just this one is borked.

+ Patsrule0316 on August 14th, 2014 at 4:31 am said:

I am not trying to say any of you aren’t having problems with it, but personally, it has been working fine for me on the PS4. I preordered on Monday, downloaded on Tuesday, after 1:00 PM Eastern, and ran the game a couple of times starting yesterday. I am having fun just seeing what we can do in this playground. I was alternating time between that and The Last of Us, and they are so different. It is a nice change of pace, playing something so laid back. I am digging Hohokum.

+ waytogopat on August 14th, 2014 at 12:17 pm said:

Yep, downloaded this yesterday and my ps4 is still telling me that it “cannot start application.” Any news on when this will be fixed?

+ sheepeater2 on August 15th, 2014 at 2:47 am said:

Seriously, this is beyond a joke. I bought this game two days ago, and it refuses to open. I deleted and downloaded the game again twice, but it still didn’t work. I then waited a further day or so, deleted it, downloaded it again – still “Cannot start the application”/

There are numerous people commenting with this problem, and no one from Sony has responded once. This is AWFUL customer service, guys. At least acknowledge the problem and give us something to go on. I really don’t want to have to talk to your customer service reps as all they ever say is “terms and conditions, blah blah blah” and read from a script. Even if I do get my money back, I still won’t be able to play the game.

PLEASE FIX THIS.