Driveclub

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel — The Power(!) of Claptrap

Andrew Goldfarb's Avatar + Posted by Andrew Goldfarb on Aug 13, 2014 // Content Editor, Gearbox Software

Since we announced Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, there’s one question we’ve gotten more than any other: what is Claptrap’s action skill? Up until now we haven’t said much, but today we’re happy to reveal that it’s as weird as you might have hoped.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

Claptrap’s action skill is named VaultHunter.exe, and when he uses it he’s granted one of several random abilities for a short time. If you’re lucky and Claptrap’s programming is working properly, you might get a brief opportunity to use a version of another Vault Hunter’s skill, like becoming a Gunzerker (In Claptrap’s case, Funzerking!) or a Mechromancer (You’ll love your new fire rate!). If you’re less lucky, you might be stuck bouncing up and down uncontrollably or launching a torrent of grenades that will obliterate friend and foe alike.

Beyond that, depending on the skill tree you choose, Claptrap may also gain the ability to cycle between subroutines that increase his efficiency with different types of guns, health regeneration, defense, or other stuff. He also has the opportunity to choose the world’s saddest high five skill, which can increase gun damage, fire rate and health depending on whether or not your teammates leave you hanging.

Borderlands: The Pre-SequelBorderlands: The Pre-Sequel

To delve any deeper into the terrifying mind of Claptrap right now would be to unleash unspeakable horrors upon you, but just know that there will be plenty of strange surprises for you to discover. And, for those who were worried: yes, you’ll be able to climb stairs when you play as Claptrap.

Of course, if all of that sounds a little too Claptrap-ish for you, you’ll also be able to play as Athena, Nisha, and Wilhelm, who all bring their own badass (albeit a bit more traditional) skills to the table. Everybody can join in on the low gravity, butt slamming fun and use all of our crazy new ice and laser weapons, too, which we promise are cool enough that you’ll forgive us for Claptrap.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel will be out on PS3 on October 14th. Seriously, we’re sorry in advance about Claptrap.

+ Jakeman14 on August 13th, 2014 at 11:09 am said:

Beyond! Cant wait to get this on my PS3! Last game I’m gonna probably get for it.

+ Hooligantuan on August 13th, 2014 at 11:09 am said:

Wow. They ruined Claptrap.

If the Wub Wub Wub didn’t do it, this… this did it.

+ dshadix on August 13th, 2014 at 11:13 am said:

When will the PS4 version be announced?

+ CrusaderForever on August 13th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

Waiting for the PS4 version to get announced. Should be fun!

+ Ejsponge61 on August 13th, 2014 at 11:15 am said:

The Andrew Goldfarb Memorial PlayStation Blog Post.

But, seriously, I will play as Claptrap in this game and love every insane minute of it. <3

Andrew Goldfarb's Avatar

+ Andrew Goldfarb on August 13th, 2014 at 4:16 pm said:

He really is just insane. His skill trees are actually super hardcore and rewarding. Weirdness aside, I highly recommend him.

+ Emerald_Swords on August 13th, 2014 at 11:17 am said:

Vita version, please?

+ technidave on August 13th, 2014 at 11:18 am said:

@2, No….no they didn’t ruin Claptrap, they made him playable. Can’t wait!

+ wolfflame21 on August 13th, 2014 at 11:26 am said:

Beyond! Do you think Aspyr will do a Mac port? My ps3 broke :(

+ platinum4490 on August 13th, 2014 at 11:43 am said:

BEYOND!

A high five skill AND can climb stairs?!?!?! I’m sold.

Hope you are having fun over there at Gearbox. We miss you at ign!

Andrew Goldfarb's Avatar

+ Andrew Goldfarb on August 13th, 2014 at 4:17 pm said:

Beyond! It’s a blast so far :)

+ Trendy_Kid on August 13th, 2014 at 12:08 pm said:

Stoked to play as Claptrap…easily my favorite reoccurring characters. Why is this not coming out for PS4?!

+ ColonelOCorn on August 13th, 2014 at 12:10 pm said:

“The Official IGN List of Upcoming Playstation Software on All Three Platforms by the IGN Editors.”

do do do do do

“Follow us on Twitter! Andrew Goldfarb is ____________. Oh @#$%^& I screwed that up again, didn’t I…”

#millermemories

Hope all is well, Goldfarb! Beyond!

Andrew Goldfarb's Avatar

+ Andrew Goldfarb on August 13th, 2014 at 4:17 pm said:

Beyond! I like that Greg finally started getting it right just as I left. I’ll be back on eventually.

+ tusunami on August 13th, 2014 at 12:16 pm said:

Interesting that there is a small list of people interested in this game I would have thought this post would have had way more post about this game. I might at some point check into this and get it.

+ SeanStrange on August 13th, 2014 at 12:23 pm said:

Not interested in this, sorry.

+ viceforce on August 13th, 2014 at 12:41 pm said:

Can’t wait for this to be on Playstation Plus like it’s Predecessor/Successor

+ Welmosca on August 13th, 2014 at 12:58 pm said:

I have yet to play Borderlands 1 and 2 but this one looks good.Looking forward to play it.

Andrew Goldfarb's Avatar

+ Andrew Goldfarb on August 13th, 2014 at 4:19 pm said:

It’s actually a pretty good point of entry even if you haven’t played the others. It’ll spoil a few details for you, but it would actually give you a pretty unique perspective if you started here and then brought that knowledge into your first playthrough of BL2.

+ Narcissus1302 on August 13th, 2014 at 1:00 pm said:

I really hope this game is ported over to the Vita as well. Borderlands 2 was awesome on Vita, and this looks like it would be awesome too!

+ Elvick_ on August 13th, 2014 at 1:11 pm said:

Is this coming to Vita? I have Wolf Among Us and TWD Season 2 preordered for Vita. Would love this on Vita

+ wolfstorm95 on August 13th, 2014 at 1:25 pm said:

Will stairs still be his “only” weakness? O.o

+ gold_og_roger on August 13th, 2014 at 2:02 pm said:

Lol. I Love it! I hope this is ported to Vita and PS4 eventually. I’m still going for the platinum in Borderlands 2. Great job on the Linux support as well.

+ iREVOLTER on August 13th, 2014 at 2:25 pm said:

WUB — WUB WUB WUB—WUBWUBWUB WUBWUBWUBWUBWUB

+ purse317 on August 13th, 2014 at 3:05 pm said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing some of Borderlands more memorable characters becoming playable but claptrap really wasn’t one of them. what story can you relly build around him being a vault hunter.

Now for Borderlands 3 go forward a few years make Tiny Tina playable really customizable along with 3 other great characters.

Andrew Goldfarb's Avatar

+ Andrew Goldfarb on August 13th, 2014 at 4:20 pm said:

Claptrap actually fits in better than you’d expect. I mean, he’s still Claptrap (in the best and worst ways), but I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised story-wise.

+ lobotomies4free on August 13th, 2014 at 6:48 pm said:

Please bring this to PS4

+ GummyCore on August 13th, 2014 at 7:21 pm said:

And I thought his skills were limited to trapping, poisoning and spreading catty rumors around town :)

That first pic… does he actually have Ratchet’s disco ball weapon?!

+ meltedwolf on August 13th, 2014 at 8:02 pm said:

yea yea claptrap is a great character……..but cmon tiny tina is freakin hilarious! she was way funnier.

+ jawara on August 13th, 2014 at 8:06 pm said:

Hey andrew can you bring this to vita too? Please???

+ liammill18 on August 13th, 2014 at 8:39 pm said:

Would love for this to come to Vita.

+ Gamerzlimited on August 13th, 2014 at 9:22 pm said:

Man, I still haven’t finished Borderlands 2 yet. Can’t wait to get my hands on this game whenever I finish it.

@SeanStrange Sorry isn’t going to cut it. Did you know you insulted the developers with that comment of yours?

+ ElasmoFan on August 14th, 2014 at 1:01 am said:

I am really looking forward to this game. Hearing about claptrap just made me want it that much more.

+ BahumatIsBack on August 14th, 2014 at 1:41 am said:

@Gamerzlimited – get off your high horse. He didn’t insult anyone. He just said he wasn’t interested. I’d call that a statement of fact for him. He’s entitled to his opinion. Stop trying to pick fights on here over imagined slights.

I swear, the Knights Of The PSN Blog are pretty sad running around here day and night trying to force people to tow the company line. I hope you’re getting paid well for your time. If you’re not getting paid you need a different hobby. I’d say I’m sorry, but I’m not

+ Gamerzlimited on August 14th, 2014 at 2:33 am said:

@BahumatIsBack If he wasn’t interested, he shouldn’t had said anything even if it was just an opinion. If you made a game and some random guy tells you I’m not going to play it without a reason, wouldn’t you be pissed at him since you put so much effort to it? You shouldn’t let all that work go to waste. Also, I’m just saying. I have no reason to pick a fight with him because he was being honest about something and I didn’t know. And if he understands my comment, he should put it into consideration next time he decides to post a comment here.

+ BahumatIsBack on August 14th, 2014 at 3:18 am said:

Do you really think that game developers aren’t aware that not every game meets every single person’s expectations? Do you really think they’re that thin-skinned to lose sleep over somebody saying they’re not interested? I’m sure they have their big boy pants on.

You guys seriously need to take a step back and stop defending every little thing. So what if this one guy wasn’t interested. That probably just means there wasn’t anything in this post to pique his interest. That’s fine. He can choose not to play the game, or Gearbox can show something different the next time they talk about the game. Or they can try to add in something really cool. They need to be given the opportunity to either step up the marketing or just let them stand by their work if they feel it’s up to par. He may change his mind. Who knows?

Seriously man, take a deep breath and take a step back from the blog. Let the free market take care of itself for better or worse. Nobody needs to be defended

+ yzfmike on August 14th, 2014 at 4:45 am said:

I love this series so much. I wish I could do some voice over and be Claptrap’s long lost cousin or something on one of the other Planets.

+ crazy2k4 on August 14th, 2014 at 4:56 am said:

fix horrible bugs in borderlans 2 for Vita???

+ txwolf63 on August 14th, 2014 at 9:55 am said:

Don’t care since it’s not on or coming to this gen or ps4 but I guess we can get puzzle idies for the upteenth time

+ waldowalso on August 14th, 2014 at 10:21 am said:

I’m having so much fun playing through the Borderlands 1+2 GOTY editions right now and I’m SOO looking forward to this pre-sequel for PS3. All 4 new characters look awesome to me. Preordered and ready for action. Thanks Gearbox!

+ Ryumoau on August 14th, 2014 at 11:36 am said:

Is this the same Andrew who was really bland and dry on Podcast Beyond? I literally had to stop listening when he came aboard and Ryan Clements left.

Anyway, i really hope this new game isn’t a full $60 because it looks more like an expansion to borderlands 2 than an actual new game. Mostly because of the reused engine and assests. $30 sounds like a more appealing price point.

+ maGicunicorn on August 14th, 2014 at 2:54 pm said:

This is for Andrew Goldfarb. Thank you for responding. From the little i have heard, i think that Clap Trap’s action skill should be reworked. I think it would be frustrating to have an action skill that doesn’t work all the time. I get the random part, I think that is weird but fun, but having a negative/not helpful action skill even a few times would likely get you killed, cost you money, make you possibly go through a whole area you already went explored and make you useless for your partner. This would not only be a bad skill but it would also seem like a poor choice next to any other character where their skills are only good. Other games like Stick of truth have random skills (Dr. Chaos) but all of them are positive. Which makes the skill about how do i adapt to the new positive effects, instead of haha I am suddenly on fire.. wait I am dead, and I have to redo that round of Fink’s Slaughter Dome.. that sucks. Once again i could be wrong, but I would be interested to hear differing opinions.

+ maGicunicorn on August 14th, 2014 at 4:34 pm said:

I guess the idea is to make the player(s) feel like Clap Trap is useless yet occasionally does cool helpful stuff. I think it iis a bad mechanic if you want to make the player feel useless sometimes regardless of skill or strategy.

+ Otonio_Bruno on August 14th, 2014 at 9:59 pm said:

Funzerking was the best! It’s the supreme combination Salvador badassitude and mathematically funniest thing in the world, which is Claptrap. I have no doubt I’ll have a great playing him, it will be my first and main char on Pre-Sequel.

+ Burroking7 on August 15th, 2014 at 5:20 pm said:

I still want yo use Claptrap

+ yungoneclicc on August 16th, 2014 at 9:29 pm said:

clap???????trap?????????????

mygoddamnnameis:kittythe(high-tech,predator,reaper,stealth,avenger-kat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

u guys!!!!!!! rememberdatverywellpls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

codename….. ,,alpha-dragon”