Uncharted 4

Fantasy RPG Runemaster Makes Console Debut on PS4

Olof Björk's Avatar + Posted by Olof Björk on Aug 13, 2014 // Project Lead, Paradox Development Studio

Some pretty exciting news coming out of Gamescom this week! We at Paradox Interactive and Paradox Development Studios are bringing our upcoming role-playing game Runemaster to PS4.

There are a lot of ‘firsts’ to note here. This is the first role-playing game developed entirely by Paradox Development Studio, a group best known for its deep historical strategy games, like Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV. It’s also the first time that a Paradox developed title will be designed with both PCs and a current generation console in mind. Paradox Interactive has already announced that Magicka 2 will be coming to PS4, so 2015 will be an exciting year for Paradox and Sony.

Fantasy RPG Runemaster on PS4

What is Runemaster? As befits a Swedish developer, Runemaster is a fantasy role-playing game set in the exciting and darkly tragic world of Norse myth. Drawing on Viking sagas and the Eddas of Viking bards, Runemaster tosses the player into the chaotic worlds of legend — Midgard, Jotunheim, Niflheim, and so on — as the universe threatens to come to an end. Ragnarok could be coming and the player can choose to prevent this world-smashing cataclysm or to hasten it, bringing with it a new age.

With six unique worlds to explore, six races to choose from and a male or female choice in each instance, the options already seem enormous. But we’ve gone a few steps further – each race will have unique quests in a randomly generated world so that a Dwarven berserker and Human skald will play two entirely different games. Replaybility is a core value for us at Paradox; the best games are those that you can revisit time and time again.

Fantasy RPG Runemaster on PS4Fantasy RPG Runemaster on PS4

Norse mythology is at once tragic and comedic. Though it all bends towards an inevitably sad conclusion and the end of times, episodes within the grand narrative of Norse legend have pranks, mistaken identities and trickster figures. Our quests will try to walk that same balance of light-hearted antic colored by deadly rivalries and the recognition that the universe is often unfriendly and unresponsive to mortal demands.

Beyond the quests and exploration, we also have a tactical battle map for your battles where your hero or heroine will lead an army against enemy troops, including giants (or just giant wildlife)! As your army gains experience in battle, you can outfit it with squads with banners to enhance their abilities, while your hero may win magic weapons and items to help in future encounters.

Fantasy RPG Runemaster on PS4

Paradox is very happy to be partnered with PlayStation for some of our upcoming titles, and we’re really proud of how Runemaster is shaping up. Runemaster is a special title for us as we try some new things. It will be coming to PS4 in 2015, and we hope you will follow our progress in the coming months.

21 Comments

+ Craazy on August 13th, 2014 at 7:05 am said:

This is my cup of tea……I totes wants to play

+ zariak on August 13th, 2014 at 7:46 am said:

Looks great! I’m very excited for this and Magicka 2!

+ Bad_Brains on August 13th, 2014 at 7:50 am said:

Very cool. Finally started watching “Vikings” so naturally I want a game like this even more now. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this!

+ PiotrRasputinBR on August 13th, 2014 at 7:59 am said:

Colour me interested!

+ NanoNekomata on August 13th, 2014 at 8:12 am said:

Ohh this looks very interesting indeed. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

+ Dragonchasers on August 13th, 2014 at 8:28 am said:

Really happy seeing Paradox games coming to PS4. We NEED games like this one on the platform!

+ yentair on August 13th, 2014 at 8:29 am said:

Any chance of local co-op on the PS4? Seems like a good fit to me.

+ RogerProBillion on August 13th, 2014 at 10:32 am said:

I would really like to get this game.

+ Kong_Angantyr on August 13th, 2014 at 11:12 am said:

An RPG steeped in Norse mythology and actually made by Scandinavians? I have high hopes! (One might surmise that I have an interest in all things Viking by my avatar.) :)

I have one suggestion (which will betray my inner nerd): I don’t know to what extent runes will be present in the game, but please stay away from the Elder Futhark as it largely pre-dates the Viking Age. It was the Younger Futhark (Danish long branch and Swedish-Norwegian short twig) that was in common use during the Viking Age.

From Wikipedia:

“Usage of the Younger Futhark is found in Scandinavia and Viking Age settlements abroad, probably in use from the 9th century onward. While the Migration Period Elder Futhark had been an actual “secret” known only to a literate elite, with only some 350 surviving inscriptions, literacy in the Younger Futhark became widespread in Scandinavia, as witnessed by the great number of Runestones (some 6,000), sometimes inscribed with almost casual notes.”

+ Sanador62 on August 13th, 2014 at 11:57 am said:

Nice to see more RPGs coming to PS4. Keep making them and I for one will keep buying. ;)

+ purse317 on August 13th, 2014 at 12:03 pm said:

We love to see pc games come to console especially rpgs now all we ask is tha the asking price be appropriate. Console games tend to be higher in price than pc games we’d love the same treatment for going digital.

+ tusunami on August 13th, 2014 at 12:11 pm said:

This as well may have a lot of promise for it but I need to see a gameplay trailer.

+ JakeRuiner on August 13th, 2014 at 1:01 pm said:

Sounds like an interesting game. I’ll definitely keep a lookout for more info on this game.

+ AizawaYuuichi on August 13th, 2014 at 1:18 pm said:

After finishing Bound by Flame earlier this year, I’ve been craving a new quest-based RPG on my PS4. This looks like it’ll fit that description. Looking forward to more info on this moving into 2015.

+ Elementalstorm23 on August 13th, 2014 at 1:45 pm said:

You pretty much have me when I heard RPG and Norse Mythology! I will be keeping my eyes out for this one!

+ MikeyBoy02NY02 on August 13th, 2014 at 1:54 pm said:

I CAN’T WAIT!!!!

+ vamperoX13 on August 13th, 2014 at 2:38 pm said:

Nice to see PC type RPG’s coming to the PS4 !

+ Tinye310 on August 13th, 2014 at 3:56 pm said:

Wow great news! and didn’t know about Magicka 2 on ps4! THATS AWESOME! can’t wait for both of these. Congrats!

+ AxmShenmue on August 14th, 2014 at 2:45 am said:

How come my PS+ account on my PS4 doesnt work but on PS3 and Vita it works fine? Many people are having this issue.

+ CommandingTiger on August 14th, 2014 at 11:01 am said:

Awesome

+ Ryumoau on August 14th, 2014 at 11:38 am said:

This looks like an interesting budget rpg. Lets just hope it doesn’t make the same mistake of past budget titles by pricing itself alongside the big $60 titles.