PlayStation VR

Aug 15

Aug 15

Dreamfall Chapters Coming Soon to PS4

Ragnar Tørnquist's Avatar Posted by Creative Director, Red Thread Games

Hi everyone. My name is Ragnar Tørnquist and I’m creative director at Red Thread Games — the Norwegian indie studio working on Dreamfall Chapters; a Kickstarter-funded, story-driven episodic adventure coming soon to PS4.

We founded Red Thread in October 2012 in order to make what we call “games with soul” — mature, story-driven games with emotional and thematic depth, with heart…and soul.

Holo-face

In February 2013, we turned to Kickstarter with an initial goal of $850,000. One month later, we exceeded our wildest dreams by receiving almost twice that: an incredible $1.5 million! Through the amazing generosity and support of our fans, and with additional funding by the Norwegian Film Institute, we were finally able to begin work on our first game.

Dreamfall Chapters is a game about choice and consequence, about how the actions you take and the decisions you make — no matter how small or seemingly insignificant — touch the people around us, and how our lives in turn are shaped by the choices made by others.

It’s also the continuation of a saga that began 15 years ago with The Longest Journey, a point-and-click adventure telling the story of April Ryan, a young art student with the power to ‘shift’ between parallel dimensions: Stark, the world of science, and Arcadia, the world of magic.

Dreamfall ChaptersEYEship

Dreamfall Chapters takes players on an emotional journey spanning these same two worlds; one a neon-lit cyberpunk vision of the future, the other a colorful and magical fantasy realm.

The story follows Zoë Castillo, a 20-year old woman living in a dystopian European megalopolis controlled by giant corporations, two centuries into the future; and Kian Alvane, an Azadi apostle and assassin who has turned on his own people in order to join the rebels in Marcuria, an Arcadian city populated by humans and the increasingly marginalised magicals.

Dreamfall Chapters

Our characters must work to uncover the secret behind a dreaming disease that threatens to tear reality to pieces. Their journeys will connect and intersect, and, through their eyes, players will explore parallel realities, experience a deep and gripping storyline, and meet a diverse and colorful cast of characters.

Most importantly, you — the player — will shape these journeys through the choices you make and the actions you take, and you will share your decisions with your friends and with everyone playing the game.

We’re storytellers, and we believe video games are the ultimate medium for telling engaging stories. We want the story to be a fundamental and integral part of the gameplay, rather than just the backdrop. Through exploration, discovery and dialogue, through choices and actions, we want our players to connect emotionally with our worlds and characters. And by giving them — You! — the opportunity to shape your own journey through the game, we hope to make our stories uniquely personal and deeply affecting.

Dreamfall ChaptersKian in Friar's Keep

And, like any good story, Dreamfall Chapters is best experienced with other people — good friends or family sitting next to you on the couch, acquaintances or total strangers playing the game elsewhere and sharing their choices and stories with you — and we’ve built our game and story with that experience in mind.

We hope you’ll join us on our journey into dreams!

To learn more about Dreamfall Chapters, visit our website at http://www.dreamfallchapters.com.

Add Your Own

drd7of14 said:

August 15th, 7:05 am

Looks interesting. Also, thought the burger flipper looked a lot like Fetch. ;)

gold_og_roger said:

August 15th, 7:09 am

This looks great. I was a big fan of Dreamfall The Longest Journey on PC back in the day. If I remember correctly, it was on PS2 as well! Anyhow, this looks a great mature title with a rich backdrop and story. Can’t wait to see what the team does with PS4.

Elvick_ said:

August 15th, 7:10 am

I backed it~

Maybe you’ve mentioned it on kickstarter and I missed it, but can we switch to PS4 instead? Or will I have to buy it again?

ArmedOne78 said:

August 15th, 7:13 am

Looks great! Glad you guys are focusing in on storyline. Hope to hear more soon!

Hestar69 said:

August 15th, 7:38 am

day 1 buy on both systems!..Ps4 keeps on getting amazing games coming to it! :D

Bad_Brains said:

August 15th, 7:57 am

Every time I see this guy all I can think about is Ghost in the Shell:

Please tell me it’s a throwback ;) Definitely keeping an eye on this one. The world needs more cyberpunk.

OuterSpaceJunky said:

August 15th, 8:13 am

Great news that this is coming to PS4!

I haven’t played The Longest Journey; will I be totally lost in Dreamfall Chapters?

Nitro73 said:

August 15th, 8:20 am

I am so excited that Dreamfall is coming out with another game. The first two were great on PC, and can’t wait to play this when it comes out.

ElektroDragon said:

August 15th, 8:21 am

Any chance of remastering the old Dreamfall games for PS4, and will I be lost with Chapters if I didn’t play the previous games?

plaztiksyke said:

August 15th, 8:26 am

nice! first, new Broken Sword on Vita and now new Dreamfall on PS4!

any chance of original Dreamfall coming to Vita and/or PS3 in native resolution (544p/1080p)? (Doing a “remaster” that looks good on PS4 is probably not in the cards, I guess?)

looks pretty good so far, other than the bloom lighting being over-used. hopefully the PS4 gives you the option to use better shaders than an iPhone ;)

are there any GLBT characters/stories in the game?

italodancemp3 said:

August 15th, 9:02 am

And PS Vita? Would you bring it to Vita?

saab01 said:

August 15th, 9:24 am

Looks interesting I hope a demo is planned and the price is reasonable. I don’t like all these 15 and 20 dollar indie games. What ever happened to the indie games for 10 bucks???

TomHoang said:

August 15th, 9:41 am

I’ve always been interested in this franchise, but I’ve always been PlayStation exclusive, so never got a chance to play it. I’m a huge fan of the adventure genre, so I will be buying this for sure! I just love games with female protagonists.

DecadanceFantasy said:

August 15th, 10:18 am

Hey I’m a fan of the original The Longest Journey. I remember playing that game for hours and having fun. I’m the type of person who liked those cloudy skies. Very beautiful and original game.
I tried Dreamfall when it came out but the combat and me didn’t work well with the computer. I hope in Dreamfall Chapters it has been improved upon and is more fluid and responsive with the PS4 version. I will totally be buying your game (y’know if I ever get a PS4!)
I liked Zoe’s character though I still missed April. Well she’s pretty different in Dreamfall than in the original. I’m happy your releasing this game!

EvoAnubis said:

August 15th, 10:20 am

Sounds cool. I’m in.

hdcase said:

August 15th, 10:43 am

Will Tor Linløkken be doing any of the music? Thanks. His tracks in Longest Journey were some of my favorites.

MakoSoul said:

August 15th, 11:01 am

I’m digging this futuristic world. Hopefully, I can get into the game without played the previous installments/

Tigercml said:

August 15th, 12:48 pm

Absolutely love the Longest Journey games. I still play both to this day that’s how much I love them. Now I will go back and play through them again to get me ready for Dreamfall Chapters. This news made my day. I’m so glad I get to play one of my favorite video game series of all time on one of my favorite consoles of all time.

tusunami said:

August 15th, 3:46 pm

So this will be another great indie game coming out possibly next year but when it arrives this will be cool.

ps_psychedelic said:

August 15th, 5:57 pm

Hell yeahhhh.. been waiting for this one. The Longest Journey was amazing back in the day.

Seluhir said:

August 15th, 7:45 pm

I kickstarted this… man I hope they’ll let me get this on the PS4 in stead of PC for my kickstarter copy lol

Staticks said:

August 15th, 11:24 pm

I absolutely loved Dreamfall: The Longest Journey all the way back in 2005 on the original Xbox 1. The music was epic and beautiful, the story was grand and complex, and the characters were endearing. I’m very much looking forward to continuing with the story and world in your newest titles on PS4, Mr. Tørnquist.

Nazotchi said:

August 16th, 11:56 am

I was starting to worry this was cancelled, and now here it is on consoles! I’m pumped. Thanks for bringing it over.

manolis160 said:

August 16th, 1:34 pm

i dont really think about bying something with such graphics.What the hell ? we live in 2014 ! There are much more ps4 exclusives to buy except than this

XFRod said:

August 16th, 4:09 pm

manolis160 – I’m sure you’ll enjoy several titles in your gaming future. However, I’m fairly certain you’ll be missing out on many great experiences due to your outlook on, “something with such graphics”.

Considering this game is focused more on telling a muture, emotionally charged story than how it can impress you with photo realistic visuals, this probably isn’t the game for you.

mynintendobroke said:

August 16th, 11:36 pm

I’m so excited to play this. I figured they’d given up on the idea of another sequel, so I’d never get to find out what happens next.

PiMDx said:

August 17th, 3:45 am

Would be nice to play the Longest Journey on PSNow.

Ericho316 said:

August 17th, 4:13 pm

I loved the past games, favorite of the genre. I will definitely pick this up day one. I’d love to play the older games again on PS4.

Einhander138 said:

August 17th, 8:08 pm

You’re from Europe, you guys know the value of a physical release.

No disc, no sale.

Matrix_Lion said:

August 18th, 1:45 pm

Reminds me of scenes for the Total Recall remake. This game has my attention.

Lord_Xero_Rare said:

August 18th, 9:36 pm

As someone who backed it I would love to see an option to choose what platform my download code goes for. I’m glad to see it coming to PS4, and will play it here either way knowing this, just would be very grateful for the option.

MoonBlossom said:

August 19th, 5:03 am

I’m thrilled to see this game coming to PS4. I backed Dreamfall Chapters on Kickstarter and I’m going to be buy it again for PS4. I love my PS4 lol