PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Update: PlayStation Network is Back Online

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Aug 24, 2014 // Senior Manager, Social Media

UPDATE: The PlayStation Network and Sony Entertainment Network are back online and people can now enjoy the services on their PlayStation devices. The networks were taken offline due to a distributed denial of service attack. We have seen no evidence of any intrusion to the network and no evidence of any unauthorized access to users’ personal information.

In light of today’s issue, the networks will not undergo the regularly scheduled maintenance, which was planned for Monday, August 25. We will provide an update shortly for when the maintenance will be rescheduled.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by this issue. Thanks for your patience and support.

***

Although this has impacted your ability to access our network and enjoy our services, no personal information has been accessed.

We will continue to work towards fixing this issue and hope to have our services up and running as soon as possible.

We regret any inconvenience this may have caused.

200 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ Rammstone on August 24th, 2014 at 12:30 pm said:

damn kids these days

+ AizawaYuuichi on August 24th, 2014 at 12:32 pm said:

Ah, good to know it wasn’t just me. Between when I left to watch Sin City last night and when I got back home, I could no longer check my messages or party invite statuses. Thought it was just my internet. Oh well… good thing I don’t need battle.net to play D3 on my PS4.

+ StealthBlade98 on August 24th, 2014 at 12:33 pm said:

Except this appears to only affect PS4 which I can’t understand why: both use the PS Network to be accessed, so why can people use PS3 network but not PS4? It’s really confusing. Also This simply sounds like more of a internal issue rather than some hacking / high traffic issue

+ steadydecline on August 24th, 2014 at 12:34 pm said:

Simpsons did it

+ Mando44646 on August 24th, 2014 at 12:37 pm said:

Flash sales being extended? I know a lot of people have been trying to access the deals

+ iREVOLTER on August 24th, 2014 at 12:37 pm said:

Artificially high traffic = DDoS!

+ Mando44646 on August 24th, 2014 at 12:38 pm said:

@3 its not just PS4. I can’t access the PS store in my browser and its down on Vita as well

+ ITzChrisA on August 24th, 2014 at 12:38 pm said:

dude if i cant preload my game today i want something for wasting my time , i only bought digital so i could have it midnight on release

+ supersmith2500 on August 24th, 2014 at 12:40 pm said:

It’s okay Sid, I seriously don’t know why PlayStation Network is such an easy target for attackers and hackers and it’s starting to happen more often now. Well, there’s goes my GTA Online time tomorrow. Also, thanks for informing us and hope the servers recover as soon as possible.

+ mummiess1 on August 24th, 2014 at 12:52 pm said:

Anonymous posted the IP addresses of every hacker in Lizard squad.

+ StealthBlade98 on August 24th, 2014 at 12:53 pm said:

@7 People are making it out the PSN is down yet it’s not. I can still log on and see people online. Having the PSN store down for maintenance is a bit different to “PSN down, hacked again….etc” but back in 2011 no one could even log on at all not even to see there friends or use the cloud upload service. If PS4 users can’t even log in then something is up within Sony that isn’t “high traffic” PS3 and PS4 are on the same network, there not separate. This also applies to PS Vita as well. This is an entirely different matter that’s going on

+ ossiecastro5 on August 24th, 2014 at 12:56 pm said:

It is sad to hear that this is happening. But life is full of twists and turns and nothing can be expected. I hope that the PSN will get well soon with a full recovery. Good luck!

+ B-I-G-DEVIL on August 24th, 2014 at 12:56 pm said:

Thanks for the update, do we know if tomorrows maintenance is still going ahead as planned?

+ IIL0YDII on August 24th, 2014 at 12:59 pm said:

Dont store everything in one server, FFS I can’t believe you haven’t had any DDOS protection after last PSN downtime!

+ mummiess1 on August 24th, 2014 at 1:08 pm said:

@14 Last PSN it was hacked and Players info got out. it was hacked bad so bad it took weeks for PSN to recover. now i’m playing Black ops 2 on PS3 online. when the servers got hacked in 2011 you couldn’t sign in online. Sony wasn’t the only ones this happened to. At least sony beefed up its sincerity since 2011. and i’m sure they will beef up the DDOS too. but as technology advances you can be safe on the internet. anybody can hack your stuff. no matter how secure your stuff is. if your a professional hacker you can hack anything.

+ SlyCooperFan100 on August 24th, 2014 at 1:13 pm said:

Everyone, this is not a hack. This is a DDoS attack, which means someone is throwing a lot of code at PlayStation to make it look and feel like 50,000,000 people are accessing PlayStation servers at once when it’s false. There is no website safe from this, it is impossible to protect against DDoS because it’s just a bunch of website visits or server hits. They can do anything they want to mitigate it, but if someone is really determined, a DDoS will happen anyway.

Do not blame PlayStation. They have no fault for this happening.

Your personal data is still safe, because this is not a hack. No need to change your passwords, no need to assume this is just like April 2011. Unless PlayStation confirms their servers were infiltrated, nothing has been hacked.

+ jose213jose on August 24th, 2014 at 1:14 pm said:

wow again? This is got to stop, hackers go to far. I hope the network is back ASAP sense i’m missing out on alot of fun online games.

+ dodgedoors on August 24th, 2014 at 1:42 pm said:

Brazzers being down is the real tragedy, psn not so much

+ ledibeth on August 24th, 2014 at 2:07 pm said:

they are being handle differently the ps3 and the p4 servers, please **** happens ppl, as up to right now nothing you or any other user can do to fix it, and complaining and whining is not going to make it any better…

+ seether98 on August 24th, 2014 at 2:09 pm said:

Thank you Sony for only allowing me to activate 1 ps4 system. I can’t play my digital games on my second system. This is absolute horse ****. If I realized this I would never have bought 2 ps4′s for my house.

+ Solidmgsnake on August 24th, 2014 at 2:12 pm said:

Really?! On the last day before school starts?!

+ avluis on August 24th, 2014 at 2:15 pm said:

Sad but in a future of entitled children who want to have a large e-p***s, this is what they do and we sort of have to live with it until DNS tech is redesigned.
What infuriates me the mosts, as a programmer, is that instead of using their talents finding a possible fix for DDoS, these hackers resort to games.
Yes, DDoSing an online service that people depend on is now a game to many idiots out there.

+ Lucent85 on August 24th, 2014 at 2:16 pm said:

So dumb. People need to get a life and stop ruining things. =/

+ Shoryyuken on August 24th, 2014 at 2:22 pm said:

I got to download Resident Evil Revelations so that’s good. Hope it works out guys.

+ TomHoang on August 24th, 2014 at 2:33 pm said:

Is this causing anyone else’s PS4 to take a really long time to start up? Mine shows the health and safety screen, then stays on the blue wave for like 2 minutes, then finally goes to the home screen. It scared me half to death because I thought my PS4 was bricked!

+ Ja-Milz on August 24th, 2014 at 3:30 pm said:

Man this is ridiculous, if people love the system and network so much why do they keep attempting to screw up the functionality, I’ve had a PlayStation since the first PlayStation launched and it has never crossed my mind to do anything to destroy the integrity of such a bad ass system

+ KazeEternal on August 24th, 2014 at 4:21 pm said:

No problem here. Tales of Xillia 2 is buying you time.

+ Lucent85 on August 24th, 2014 at 4:26 pm said:

@23

Well, I heard that the network was down. So I turned on my PS4 to check and found it was still down. So I put mine in standby and it would just keep fluctuating in white. I let it do that for a few minutes and figured it was never gonna turn off, so I unplugged it. PS4 gave me a warning not to do that when I turned it back on. I put it in standby again and it did the white fluctuation again. So I’m just gonna leave it alone until the network is back up. =/

+ stefer09 on August 24th, 2014 at 4:36 pm said:

@26 : mine acts like that randomly, ddos or not, playstation network up or down :(

It triple beeps all the time when i put it on standby :-/

+ maxcoronel2014 on August 24th, 2014 at 5:21 pm said:

PSN still down for me. Damn. I still cant access any of my games because of that license stuff.

+ swimquick on August 24th, 2014 at 5:33 pm said:

What about the Flash Sale? I wanted to purchase the $10 God of War Collection, but now I can’t get on the store.

+ Fats-DinknOllie on August 24th, 2014 at 5:45 pm said:

I play D3 mostly through couch coop anyways. Being offline is good

+ Astroking112 on August 24th, 2014 at 6:13 pm said:

My internet’s been spazzing out for the past few days, so I had figured that it was just a fault on my end. That said, I really hope that this is fixed ASAP. With my current speed, it’ll take forever for inFAMOUS: First Light to download, so I was hoping that the preload would still let me play it on release day.

+ criperro on August 24th, 2014 at 6:17 pm said:

Hey guys could you extend the flash sale a bit more once PSN is back? I know some people wanted to buy some of those games.

+ RE_Player on August 24th, 2014 at 6:34 pm said:

I need to buy a game on the flash sale but the store is still down!

+ theXsilentXchild on August 24th, 2014 at 6:41 pm said:

I wanted buy flash sale games!!!!!!!!!!!!!==========#!!!!!!!!!###

+ LANCERBOIGTI on August 24th, 2014 at 6:41 pm said:

I have been calling Sony for the last several weeks about hackers talking on Playstation Home about hackers bring the servers down.Everytime I call they direct me to the forums.Which I replied to them about the seriousness of the issue maybe now they will listen to there customers.

+ Hooligantuan on August 24th, 2014 at 7:38 pm said:

If this happens again (eh, “when” – we know it’ll happen again) can you guys make a blog post and try to update folks more regularly?

The only news we’re getting is through third-party sources, many of which are just not reliable and liberally sprinkle their stories with speculation.

+ mummiess1 on August 24th, 2014 at 8:44 pm said:

if you want to be updated regularly go to @AskPlayStation twitter account.

+ NotCarolKaye on August 25th, 2014 at 12:08 am said:

Oh Sid, you’ve got nothing to apologize for. Thanks for the update!

+ neuropunk on August 25th, 2014 at 12:13 am said:

yay

+ mattnett1 on August 25th, 2014 at 12:18 am said:

Fix this issue though. You guys can easily get DDOS protection. It bans IP Addresses that do multiple requests….

+ gamer_316 on August 25th, 2014 at 12:22 am said:

Having to pay for PS+ in order to play online on PS4 should make stuff like this unacceptable

+ k13r4nth3k1ll3r on August 25th, 2014 at 12:27 am said:

Is Sony network all back up and working now

+ Skater_Ricky on August 25th, 2014 at 12:30 am said:

Thanks for the update. Keep your chin held high. Glade to play online with my Platoon member’s on Battlefield 4. Anyone looking for a friendly Platoon that PTFO’s on PS4. Send me a friend request with a message that includes “I love to PTFO on BF4″

Enjoy gaming everyone :D
👍😀👍

+ wakeboard74 on August 25th, 2014 at 12:31 am said:

To play online with my PS4, I have no choice, I have to pay. unavailable service is just unacceptable.

+ AizawaYuuichi on August 25th, 2014 at 12:42 am said:

@ gamer_316 @ wakeboard74: Having to pay for a service has nothing to do with whether or not someone decides to randomly DDoS that service. It’s unacceptable that someone thinks they have the right to disrupt network servers, due to their middling claims of entitlement.

I can confirm that after resetting my router, I was able to connect to PSN on my PS4. It’s obvious Sony has multiple server farms running now, as my PS3 has been online all day so it wasn’t affected by the DDoS attack on the PS4 servers. Haters gonna hate.

+ MapleStory on August 25th, 2014 at 12:44 am said:

@44: Don’t mind him, he finds any excuse to whine about things.

Glad that everything (thus far) is back to normal and hopefully those responsible for the attacks will pay for their actions.

+ GABEv01 on August 25th, 2014 at 12:53 am said:

Always good to be back online! The Last of Us Remastered Factions MP… Here I go!!! Aww Man, Thanks!!!!!! :P

+ Borque on August 25th, 2014 at 12:57 am said:

“Like other major networks around the world, the PlayStation Network and Sony Entertainment Network have been impacted by an attempt to overwhelm our network with artificially high traffic.”

Attempt? Sorry, but you guys had us with no service for quite a few hours, so this was nothing similar to an “attempt”

at·tempt (-tmpt)
tr.v. at·tempt·ed, at·tempt·ing, at·tempts
1. To try to perform, make, or achieve: attempted to read the novel in one sitting; attempted a difficult dive.

These guys pretty much managed to do what they intended. They brought down the service. So please, no PR talk to soften it.

PAGE 1 2 3 4