LittleBigPlanet 3

Don’t Starve: Giant Edition Coming to PS Vita September 2nd

Jamie Cheng's Avatar + Posted by Jamie Cheng on Aug 25, 2014 // Co-Founder, Klei

Don't Starve: Giant Edition PS Vita

Hey everyone! Jamie Cheng here, founder of Klei Entertainment. I’m happy to announce a few cool things: first is that Don’t Starve: Giant Edition is coming to PS Vita on September 2nd!

Here are some key details you’ll want to know:

1. The Giant Edition costs $14.99, and includes the Reign of Giants expansion. This expansion is usually $4.99, and we’ve bundled it in for everyone. It includes new characters, seasons, biomes, and other challenges that will happily kill you.
  2. Unfortunately, in order for us to get the game on Vita, we had to rewrite a bunch of backend code to optimize it. Because of this, the save games are not compatible with PS4, so there is no cross play.
  3. BUT! We love you all, so we’re making the game cross buy! If you own Don’t Starve on PS4, you get the Vita version for free, and vice versa. Thank you for supporting our game, and please spread the word so we can keep making more interesting games!

Don't Starve: Giant Edition PS VitaDon't Starve: Giant Edition PS Vita

In case you missed it from our previous post, here are the key features of the Reign of Giants expansion that is included in this package:

Reign of Giants Key Features

• New playable characters: Reign of Giants adds two characters for players to discover and survive with. Play as Wigfrid, a stage actress who went a bit too far with method acting on her latest role, an ancient Valkyrie, or Webber, a young boy who lives inside the spider who tried to eat him long ago.
  • Year-round starvation: Struggle through a full year of seasons as you experience the torrential rain falls of spring and the blistering heat of summer.
  • A bigger, badder world: New biomes have been filled to the brim with new creatures and gatherables that will either help you survive — or kill you.
  • An extra save slot: You asked, we delivered.
  • Giants: They’re in the name, for crying out loud!

And that’s all folks! See you on September 2nd. If you’ve got any questions or just want to say hi, you can find us on Twitter at @Klei. As usual, we’re always around and happy to chat. Don’t Starve is what it is thanks to the amazing community and discussions. Thanks for all the feedback and support!

82 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ xClayMeow on August 25th, 2014 at 10:22 am said:

FINALLY!!!!! I’ve been waiting for Don’t Starve on Vita! I have it on PC, but being able to take it on the go is going to be awesome!

Quick Question: I got the PS4 version via IGC, but since I don’t own a PS4, I never bothered to purchase the expansion pack. Will I have to purchase the expansion pack in order to get the game “free” on Vita, or is owning the base game good enough? It sounds like it’s the latter (which is AWESOME!), but just wanted it clarified.

Woohoo!

PS. It’s really a shame that MS published MotN because that would have been perfect on the Vita too. But maybe after Invisible, Inc. you’ll work on sequel for all platforms? :D

+ CapJSheridan on August 25th, 2014 at 10:23 am said:

Thanks man, that was more than we deserved it, this is one game we shouldn’t be getting for free.

Throw in some paid DLC on Vita later and we’ll buy it to show support =)

+ Archymedius on August 25th, 2014 at 10:23 am said:

What is the status on multiplayer?

+ thebledkid22 on August 25th, 2014 at 10:24 am said:

Very cool. I love this game on PS4 and now I can take it on the go. Thanks Klei

+ iREVOLTER on August 25th, 2014 at 10:24 am said:

Guys at Klei you are really awesome! Thx for Cross-Buy.

+ sedateinfect on August 25th, 2014 at 10:26 am said:

Does it have a separate trophy list or shared?

+ gabriel-lisboa83 on August 25th, 2014 at 10:28 am said:

I want AAA games for my PS Vita, not Indies!!!

+ jiisama_ on August 25th, 2014 at 10:31 am said:

Sold! I’ve been waiting for this. Everything is better on vita.

+ todd567 on August 25th, 2014 at 10:31 am said:

think u god i knew this game would be on vita i been remote playing it on the ps4 to vita its so much better. now whats the word on the copp dlc?

+ xClayMeow on August 25th, 2014 at 10:31 am said:

@Archymedius (3), multiplayer is set to arrive on PC first (and a demo will be playable at PAX this wkd). It has never been officially confirmed as coming to PS4/PSV, and likely won’t even be a thought until after the PC version is released.

+ JamesBlonde777 on August 25th, 2014 at 10:36 am said:

“If you own Don’t Starve on PS4, you get the Vita version for free, and vice versa.”

So even if we only own the PS4 version that came through PS+ (and not the expansion), we get to play this on the Vita? Cool!

+ Trendy_Kid on August 25th, 2014 at 10:45 am said:

OMG, so many Vita games in Q3!! My poor backlog…

+ CapJSheridan on August 25th, 2014 at 10:45 am said:

@11 even if we had to buy the Giants expansion for or PS Plus versions, $4,99 it would still be an awesome deal

+ Trendy_Kid on August 25th, 2014 at 10:46 am said:

@ 11 I am pretty sure he’s saying the Vita version is free with the PS4 purchase of the Giant Edition.

+ SaberX85 on August 25th, 2014 at 10:49 am said:

So if i only have the vanilla game from PS+ can i get the ps vita version for free? or do i have to buy the DLC reign of giants? thanks

+ PSN_Tokeio on August 25th, 2014 at 10:52 am said:

I’m very grateful that Klei is offering the game as Cross Buy. However, I WANT TO PAY KLEI MONEY! How do I pay for the base game? I bought the expansion but I feel I need to pay for the base game too. I want to support Klei for being awesome and making Don’t Starve a reality on my favorite handheld platform.

+ wBENDERw on August 25th, 2014 at 11:04 am said:

wow this is amazing

so fast

+ Hefestus91 on August 25th, 2014 at 11:05 am said:

Now I will seriously consider playing this on my vita, looks cool.

+ AlmightyMax on August 25th, 2014 at 11:07 am said:

Stop it, you guys, you’re way too good to us.

I think having this on handheld will be the perfect way for me to finally get into it.

Keep being awesome! I’ll see you later this week at PAX!

+ redthehaze on August 25th, 2014 at 11:08 am said:

I think you meant “cross-save” for number 2. Cross save is for being able to switch platforms with the save while cross play is playing WITH another platform.

+ WICKED_CARN1 on August 25th, 2014 at 11:22 am said:

Flipping Sweet!

+ TinCannEd on August 25th, 2014 at 11:26 am said:

OMG! I saw this & was, “I will DEFINITELY buy this for the Vita, and I really liked it on the PS4(Free on PS+)”.

Then I see you say it will be Cross-Buy, I actually said, “NOOOO!!!!”, because I wanted to support you as a Developer.

I can’t do that if you keep giving me your “Product” for free!!! This should been made a “Cross-discount, not Cross-Buy if you wanted to do something,

+ notoptimus on August 25th, 2014 at 11:29 am said:

@7 More indies does not mean less AAA. If there’s a shortage of AAA it’s an unrelated problem. Go bug the AAA developers.

+ wBENDERw on August 25th, 2014 at 11:33 am said:

I still have this for PS+

I sincerely hope you make me spend some money for your game finally

i’ll gladly shell out the 18 dollars (CAD) for cross buy as long as Klei gets my money.

+ Macello on August 25th, 2014 at 11:36 am said:

@6 Klei wouldn’t even have trophies in the game, if they could. They are very anti-trophy hunter.

+ Se7en0ps on August 25th, 2014 at 11:39 am said:

Thanks for the awesome games, Jamie Cheng & company. I’m still hoping that someday, Mark of the Ninja will be released on a Playstation platform (pretty please?). ◕ ‿ ◕

+ tusunami on August 25th, 2014 at 11:55 am said:

Wow so now I can play this on my PS Vita which will be good since I have a 64 gb memory stick. Ithave yet to play this game which from my friends that say it was a blast to play.

+ tamagoyorokobi on August 25th, 2014 at 11:59 am said:

Thanks for bringing the game to the Vita, Klei! I missed it on the PS4 with it was free with PS+ (I have it for PC now), but I’ll happily buy it for Vita now that I know it’ll be cross-buy.

+ MapleStory on August 25th, 2014 at 12:19 pm said:

@27: Woo, 64gb master race! ;D

Really looking forward to this, Vita seriously needs more love!

+ iXi_LAWM9STER on August 25th, 2014 at 12:36 pm said:

I love how this game is a cross-buy all indies should do this NOW!

+ Amir_G_M_US on August 25th, 2014 at 1:03 pm said:

I don’t understand why we do not get SONY-made games…
I like the indies. Yet, I love the AAA…. Sony shows no interest in the Vita.. shame..
I want more Gravity Rush, Uncharted, God of War… not tetris like games

Seriously… if you’re not going to make new games, at least localize the GREAT Japanese titles! not just Freedom wars
Phantasy Star Online 2 – an MMO which the VITA DEMANDS!!!!
Phantasy Star Nova
SONY MUST FIGHT FOR FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 TO GO VITA!!!!!!!

Enable ALL PSOne and PSP games to directly download on Vita.

that’s a shame… come on

+ scoobots on August 25th, 2014 at 3:04 pm said:

Great game. Quit complaining about this not being AAA. This is a well made, deep game. And damn hard. Reign of Giants is a bit too hard, actually. Vita will finally get some attention from me.

+ honkayjeezus on August 25th, 2014 at 3:36 pm said:

Are you saying the game with PS Plus on PS4 means you have the cross buy?

+ LordAbsu on August 25th, 2014 at 3:59 pm said:

Good deal! Thanks for making it cross-buy! I will most definitely show my support and buy it!

+ Hakumen__ on August 25th, 2014 at 4:18 pm said:

Thank you very much!

I had tried to remote play this game with little success, so I’m grateful for a native PS Vita version.

+ vstarwow on August 25th, 2014 at 4:36 pm said:

Please do not add this game to IGC September.

“…and despair!”
Use the Accomploshrine 725 times

so frustrating

+ VictorVDoom83 on August 25th, 2014 at 4:52 pm said:

This made my day!

+ nadekill22 on August 25th, 2014 at 5:02 pm said:

Klei you rock! I love you guys! You’re my favorite developers and I love all of your games, and when you pull amazing stuff like having this be cross play is what makes you really amazing! Thank you!

+ Animebookworm on August 25th, 2014 at 7:22 pm said:

Will the mods from the pc version be available for the ps vita?

+ mcfizzle on August 25th, 2014 at 8:05 pm said:

Add me to list of people who were looking forward to buying Don’t Starve on Vita and kind of disappointed in cross buy. We received the game through PS+ and purchased Reign of Giants. Between the base game and and RoG we have well over 150 hours between us, all for $4.50. We feel like we’ve stolen from Klei Entertainment. :(

We love Don’t Starve and can’t wait to play on Vita. Hopefully Don’t Starve: Together will make it’s way to PS4 as well, maybe with couch co-op. Keep up the great work.

+ MoonageDeath on August 25th, 2014 at 10:13 pm said:

Thank you for making this cross buy. I will support all your future games. On a similar note I might have to get a 32gb card kinda wish it didn’t cost so much…

+ HarmonyKorine on August 26th, 2014 at 1:13 am said:

Thanks for this. I’ll be playing with my Vita, for sure. If this isn’t cross buy with the Plus PS4 version, you can count on me purchasing the expanded version for sure.

+ Jewbot9000 on August 26th, 2014 at 2:16 am said:

Totally fell in love with this game when we got it in the IGC. Bought it on PC, along with RoG, and was planning on buying it again on Vita, so thank you very much! Can’t wait for the multiplayer. Hope it comes to PS4 and Vita as well.

+ tracebustin on August 26th, 2014 at 3:56 am said:

Cross buy? You guys are too good to us! When my wife saw me playing this she said it was a game that she might enjoy playing, so I bought it on PC. Between the two of us, we’ve put in over 250 hours of play time, and now you can count on even more since I’ll be able to play it on the go. Just in time for flying back for my brother’s wedding!

+ Anndrej on August 26th, 2014 at 4:26 am said:

<3 <3 <3 KLEI <3 <3 <3

+ Lokidies on August 26th, 2014 at 9:58 am said:

I’ll have to make sure I don’t spend all the money on my vita if this week’s update has a good sale.

+ Griff001 on August 26th, 2014 at 12:43 pm said:

My son and I are excited. Now we don’t have to take turns. Next we are looking forward to Don’t starve together

+ Dezmixbe on August 26th, 2014 at 4:36 pm said:

You guys are crazy! But in a good way. :3

Thank you for so much for developing for the Vita. I’ll likely stick with the PS4 version since to play this game I need to be in the zone and like to be able to see more on a bigger screen (plus there’s always Remote Play), but having a portable option is gonna be killer for those long trips.

…. AND on top of that, you’re giving us Cross buy? I don’t even…

The next game KLEI makes will be a Day 1 purchase for me for sure.

+ micahmau5 on August 28th, 2014 at 4:58 am said:

How much space will it take to download. im so damned excited c:

+ ROADKILL_101 on August 31st, 2014 at 8:11 pm said:

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS GAME. Thank you SO much for working hard on this port to bring it to the bad as* Vita!! THANK YOU!!

PAGE 1 2