GTAV PS4

PS Plus: Preview September’s Free Game Lineup

Kristine Steimer's Avatar + Posted by Kristine Steimer on Aug 27, 2014 // Sr. Community Specialist

There’s a little bit of déjà vu going on as our PlayStation Plus members will once again receive two games free the day they hit the PlayStation Store – Velocity 2X on PS4 and Joe Danger’s release on PS Vita. Of course, there are other great titles including Sportsfriends on PS4, PS All Stars Battle Royale and Hoard on PS3 and TxK on PS Vita.

On PS4, Plus members will be able to download Velocity 2X and Sportsfriends. Velocity 2X is the sequel to Velocity Ultra and features arcade shooting and puzzle platforming with a cool teleportation mechanic. Sportsfriends is the perfect title to complement your parties, as it features 4 mini-games – BaraBariBall, Hokra, Super Pole Riders and Johann Sebastian Joust– to bring out the competitive side in everyone.

For PlayStation 3 owners, you can nab PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale, the game where you can get together with friends and pit PlayStation characters like Sly Cooper and Kratos against each other. And Hoard, an action-strategy title where you’ll play as a dragon attempting to get as much gold as possible.

PlayStation Vita owners can pick up Joe Danger for the first time on the platform and enjoy some good old fashioned stunt racing, as well as TxK, a remake of the classic arcade shooter Tempest.

All of these games will be free for Plus members starting September 2nd. If you want to see these titles in action, check out the video below.

September PlayStation Plus Preview

Velocity 2X
Velocity 2X (PS4, PS Vita)

Free for PS Plus members
Use the Quarp Drive teleport to outsmart the evil Vokh in race-tuned space combat, then dock your ship, jump out and continue the fight on foot! Velocity 2X is the visually dazzling action packed sequel to Velocity Ultra, featuring amazing puzzle-platforming action alongside award-winning shooter gameplay!

Sportsfriends
Sportsfriends (PS4, PS3)

Free for PS Plus members
Sportsfriends is a compendium of award-winning local multiplayer games for living rooms, parties, and even backyards. Featuring: retro-styled fighting game BaraBariBall, QWOP-like pole vault dueling game Super Pole Riders, high-velocity sports game Hokra, and face-to-face physical party game Johann Sebastian Joust. All the games are playable with the DualShock®4 wireless controller, while Johann Sebastian Joust can be further enhanced by the PlayStation Move Motion Controller (sold separately).

PS All-Stars
PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale (PS3, PS Vita)

Free for PS Plus members
From Kratos to Sly Cooper, Sweet Tooth to Parappa the Rapper, Sony characters from all over the gaming spectrum are brought together in a fighting adventure that’s both easy to play, and hard to master. Take the battle online for competitive multiplayer action, or go head to head with a group of friends on the couch and prove once and for all who’s really the best!

Horde
Hoard (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members
HOARD is an innovative fast-paced arcade action-strategy title from Big Sandwich Games that puts you in control of conquering a medieval kingdom. Your goal is to build a giant pile of gold to sleep on in your lair. YOU ARE THE DRAGON: Scare villages! Burn castles! Collect treasure! Roast pesky knights and thieves! Compete or co-operate with other dragons in epic multiplayer battles!

Joe Danger
Joe Danger (PS Vita)

Free for PS Plus members
Take Joe on a ride from zero to hero in a game that lives up to its big brother with no compromises. Eye-popping super-smooth 60FPS graphics use only the very brightest colours on Vita’s lovely screen, and we’ve revamped the JD control scheme so it plays just as nicely, too, including touch controls for the editor modes!

TxK
TxK (PS Vita)

Free for PS Plus members
Glowing vectors, explosive particle effects and a pulse-pounding soundtrack are core elements of many modern arcade shooters – a style that Llamasoft defined with its seminal 90s tube shooter. TxK is the spiritual successor to that genre-defining work and brings you 100 levels of engrossing score-chasing gameplay, married to an outstanding soundtrack that will have your head nodding as you blast your way onto the scoreboards.

We want your feedback so please take a moment to take our poll and leave us a comment below. To chat about all things related to PlayStation with a massive community of gamers, head over to the PlayStation Community Forums and make your voice heard.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 13

+ KamuiMzt on August 27th, 2014 at 8:20 am said:

Holy mother of crap!

+ KingXtreme81 on August 27th, 2014 at 8:20 am said:

I’m glad my expectations are always low, that way I’m never too disappointed.

Not one single game on that list interests me. And for me that’s the problem with PS+ — by the time it becomes available on PS+, if I had interest in the game, I probably would have purchased it already.

As someone who buys a lot of games I find that I get virtually no value out of PS+ for that very reason.

Speaking for myself, I wish PS+ relied more on discounts for new releases and less on giving old games for “free”. Take yesterday’s release of “First Light” for example. A discount for PS+ members would have been much more worthwhile to me personally than any of next month’s PS+ offerings. I realize 3rd parties may not go along with that, but Sony published titles certainly could, and it would provide people like me —again, buyers of the games that interest me— much more value than offering up “free” games that I have little to no interest in.

+ Skywarrd on August 27th, 2014 at 8:21 am said:

Looks good to me! There’s lots of fun in there and yet again I’m glad I own a Vita!

+ anheath3410 on August 27th, 2014 at 8:21 am said:

Still waiting on the HBO Go app that was said to of been out by August. Dumb that we have to use the PS3 when majority of us upgraded to the PS4.

+ Burley on August 27th, 2014 at 8:22 am said:

Awesome month for Vita, Thank you very much.

+ ElCactus on August 27th, 2014 at 8:22 am said:

“I really can’t believe how people complain about getting free games…” – oliverquuen

Since when did a PS+ subscription become free of cost?

+ Thundercleese_83 on August 27th, 2014 at 8:22 am said:

VX2 and Joe Danger on the Vita! I can’t believe how much I have to play on that little machine. Until autumn, I don’t even need my PS4.

+ oliverquuen on August 27th, 2014 at 8:23 am said:

I mean, I know that some people may be fed up with Indie games… but, in my case, thanks to PS plus, I got to discover games that I wouldn’t have played ever in my life. And, in the end, what we want are just good games… not caring who makes them, if a Major studio, or someone who made a crash course through YouTube on “How to use GameMaker in 2 days”… if the game is fun, I don’t care if it’s AAA or Indie.

+ srbman on August 27th, 2014 at 8:24 am said:

Can we maybe get the all-stars DLC discounted? Specifically the characters and stages?

+ xmidoz on August 27th, 2014 at 8:24 am said:

I am looking for more AAA games. We should be getting games like Heavenly Sword and Castlevania. Not indie games. Indie games should be counted as half a game. Also the distribution between PS4, PS3 and PSvita make us get less good games. There isn’t many games in PS4 or PSVita. But there is alot of games in PS3. Or atleast give us good discount in PS3 classics. Games that people missed.

+ jabawokee on August 27th, 2014 at 8:24 am said:

Im I’m not a fan of indie games, but Velocity 2x and TkX are more than enough to grt my hyped for September.

+ D_Arkss on August 27th, 2014 at 8:25 am said:

Hoard and Joe Danger are very old Indy games, I was expecting a little more of a premium content this month All-stars is great but already have both versions and it has been on sale several times over the years

+ DuoMaxwell007 on August 27th, 2014 at 8:25 am said:

i remember when PS+ used to give GOOD games

+ Shimrra74 on August 27th, 2014 at 8:26 am said:

A very meh selection, nothing I would go out and cheer about. Is it me or is it even worth buying digital games anymore for PS3 or Vita since they become free in a couple months.

+ jrodfantastic on August 27th, 2014 at 8:26 am said:

You guys are crazy. While this month doesn’t have a AAA title, everything offered is great. Velocity 2x and Joe Danger are the real deal. SportsFriends is crazy fun. PS All-Stars gets a bad rap, but it’s an amazing game, and comes on two platforms. I don’t know much about Hoard and TxK, but that’s kind of the point of some of the free games on PS+, to expose the consumer to games they normally wouldn’t consider.

+ ALARM-cIock on August 27th, 2014 at 8:26 am said:

awful

+ Yohmaru_EX on August 27th, 2014 at 8:27 am said:

¬¬ I bought Playstation Allstar two months ago in a flash sale. Unfortunately nothing for me this month U_U. We need more thematic sales like the last super hero sale. Something like, fighting sale, rpg sale, adventure sales or PS1 classic sales. Without indie games AND with good titles.

+ oooaznkid on August 27th, 2014 at 8:27 am said:

I’m disappointed, but all in all its still a decent month. PlayStation Battle Royale is great, but I already own that.

One bad month isn’t enough for me to give up on PS Plus. I’ve built up a gigantic backlog from all my years in PLUS…. This gives me a chance to chip into it this month.

+ oliverquuen on August 27th, 2014 at 8:27 am said:

ElCactus, it’s about the value, you might as well not pay for the suscription and not get those games, or buy them seperately at full retail, these games or any other IGC.
For 50 bucks a year… I think is a sweet deal… this month games cost you as much as U$S4.17 if you divide your suscription by 12 months.

+ CrusaderForever on August 27th, 2014 at 8:27 am said:

Thanks Sony! I was going to buy Velocity 2x and TxK! I am also interested in Sports Friends. Joe Danger is a blast to play. Amazing month to say the least!

+ gokougtz on August 27th, 2014 at 8:28 am said:

Not really my cup of tea this month. Either have the games or not interested in playing the others. My only real comment though, is about TxK. Why are you giving a game that is Glitched? 1 or 2 of the trophies are totally glitched and yet you still wanna show this off as PSN Plus benefit? So many other games to choose from, that are not GLITCHED.

+ ericquaresma on August 27th, 2014 at 8:28 am said:

Worst month ever. Everybody complains about indie games for ps4, but truth be told, how many not indie games are there on ps4?

+ PowerGusso-US on August 27th, 2014 at 8:29 am said:

AAA Games please, next month we have to get at least 2 AAA games to compenset for this month!

+ mpmarsee on August 27th, 2014 at 8:29 am said:

Looks pretty good to me. I bought PS All-Stars for $10 on PS3 with a free Vita code months ago but I’ve definitely gotten my $10 worth out of it, so I’m not sour about that at all. Velocity 2X looks awesome. Can’t wait to try that one! Loving all the Vita love too. All in all, a decently solid month.

+ theXsilentXchild on August 27th, 2014 at 8:29 am said:

I HAVE BEEN A PLUS SUBSCRIBER FOR MANY YEARS NOW AND HAVE TO SAY THIS IS THE THE WORST GAME LINEUP EVER! IF I WAS ABLE TO UNSUBSCRIBE FOR A MONTH IT WOULD BE THIS MONTH. UNFORTUNATELY I CANT. THIS BETTER NOT BE WHAT THINGS MAY COME.

+ PhrygianX on August 27th, 2014 at 8:30 am said:

Velocity is nice but I was hoping for something a little more substantial for PS4. Good thing Diablo got a nice patch on PC….

+ radioavon on August 27th, 2014 at 8:30 am said:

Was planning on buying V2X, pumped I don’t have to. TxK looked neat too, never was really motivated to get it but with plus no reason not to check it out.

+ macolesi on August 27th, 2014 at 8:30 am said:

NICE MONTH!!!

+ villdoc on August 27th, 2014 at 8:30 am said:

more GARBAGE for PS4….. We have this great machine yet you give us games that can play on PS2 & PS3.
Sick of INDIE GAMES. WHATT THE HEY SONY???

+ Mercenary09 on August 27th, 2014 at 8:32 am said:

All of you complaining about Indies need to give the games a try before you judge. I bet you Velocity 2x will be better than most retail games that have come out this year. Also to whoever said Joe Danger is an old game, It’s not the PS3 version you’re getting. It’s the brand new Vita version so no it isn’t old. I’m very pleased with the free games this month guys. Velocity 2x alone makes it worth it.

For all of you wanting AAA games on PS4, you’ll get your Driveclub next month but ya’ll will complain about that too.

+ ch2423 on August 27th, 2014 at 8:32 am said:

So EA Access wasn’t a good deal for consumers, but this crap is? If Plus wasn’t required for PS4 online gaming, I’d drop it in a second and never look back. The PS4 lineup since launch has been embarrassing.

+ LaurenLark on August 27th, 2014 at 8:32 am said:

I’m so incredibly disappointed with this entire lineup! Seriously, that’s all I can say except I want so badly to love my purchase of the PS4, but you’re making it near impossible! And there’s nothing exciting on PS3 or Vita either? Gee, thanks!

+ MarcusSoul on August 27th, 2014 at 8:32 am said:

Hey if you guys have PS3 you are overlooking Playstation all stars. I’m telling you, give the game a chance. I think many people will be very surprised with how addicting and fun that game is. A lot of you are not even mentioning it and you should be. Just try it.

+ samv33 on August 27th, 2014 at 8:34 am said:

Big fan of plus, but none of these interest me. I already have All Stars on the Vita. Don’t like Joe Danger. The other games I’ll give a go, but yeah, feeling disappointed.

But the sales! There will be sales!

Can I suggest Jumping Flash 1 and 2?

+ sethyg36 on August 27th, 2014 at 8:34 am said:

VELOCITY 2X HYPE! Lol futurelab put out the survey to get a free copy of velocity but now all ps plus members get it! I still did the survey for the art book and t-shirt though.

+ JjPredz on August 27th, 2014 at 8:34 am said:

Next month is Drive Club for PS4!

+ RyuuHou24 on August 27th, 2014 at 8:35 am said:

Sports Friends. Wow. Did you just go “What’s the biggest pile of crap we have on PSN right now” and looked it up and said “Yeah, okay, throw that in there this month”

The rest of the line up isn’t overly amazing, not horrible, but not overly amazing. But that game….unbelievable you guys.

You could have at least given Transistor, Child of Light, Super Motherload….hell, Tiny Brains would have been better than this.

I don’t know a single person that bought that. Anywhere. On any gaming site I visit, on any forums I go to.

Velocity 2X being there makes up for this, but JUST barely. Do better next month, come on. The quality of these offerings are starting to massively go down the drain if this month is any indication.

+ LaurenLark on August 27th, 2014 at 8:35 am said:

Driveclub…oh boy ONE AAA

+ KazeEternal on August 27th, 2014 at 8:35 am said:

@50 Shut your mouth. Velocity 2X is going to be fantastic!!! Velocity Ultra was an awesome game!!

+ keving813 on August 27th, 2014 at 8:35 am said:

Yea this is a terrible month.

+ RyuuHou24 on August 27th, 2014 at 8:35 am said:

Bad enough you gave us that god awful “music” set piece crap last month for PS3. That thing isn’t even a game. And now this.

+ peanut0423 on August 27th, 2014 at 8:36 am said:

Velocity 2x is September.

+ Zionine on August 27th, 2014 at 8:36 am said:

Gonna love playing about half of these games.

Was worried how I was going to purchase 2X with Destiny coming out. :) Joe Danger will prove to be fun.. TxK, I already purchased, sadly. I’ll try out Sports.

+ HiItsDj on August 27th, 2014 at 8:36 am said:

Very unhappy with next month, and my PS Plus just renewed last night. I’m turning that off so I know whether it’s worth it or not for next month before I renew. Hopefully games with gold gives me something to look forward too.

+ CapJSheridan on August 27th, 2014 at 8:36 am said:

Games I’d rather have than these:

- Mega Man X4
- Danganronpa
- Atelier series
- Overpriced PSP games

+ Havok83 on August 27th, 2014 at 8:36 am said:

#16. EA barely supported Plus so them having Access has no bearing on the quality of Plus games. Outside of Battlefield 3, I cant think of any other major EA game offered in NA

+ ALONTE_17 on August 27th, 2014 at 8:37 am said:

Very dissapointing month. Its gotten to the point where you dont even put into consideration of what games you offer. You guys that are picking the game at sony need to step your game up.

+ jerms0518 on August 27th, 2014 at 8:37 am said:

Who cares if they’re indie or not. I want to play awesome games, regardless of how they’re published. Sony, thank you for an awesome month for the Vita!

+ DarkHawk2099 on August 27th, 2014 at 8:39 am said:

Awful selection of games. Nothing for me at all this month.

+ saab01 on August 27th, 2014 at 8:39 am said:

Disappointed this month All stars is a good game but I would of rather had Resident Evil 6 or some type of other game like Max payne 3. The PS4 games also don’t seem that interesting to me I will try them out but they don’t seem to excite me so far. Also the other PS3 game is looking boring to me.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 13