PlayStation Vue

Sep 05

destiny2

Destiny: Remote Play Hands-on

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by on Sep 05, 2014 // Senior Manager, Social Media, SIEA

Destiny is just days away! I wanted to share a quick video showing off its Remote Play experience, which enables you to wirelessly stream the game from your PS4 to your PS Vita. I spent some time playing Destiny via Remote Play during the Beta and I was really impressed with not only how good it looked on PS Vita’s vivid 5-inch screen, but also how responsive it was. The team over at Bungie actually optimized the controls for Destiny on PS Vita via Remote Play.

Check out the full control scheme:

Destiny Remote Play Controls

One of the things we noticed during the week of the Destiny Beta was that a lot of PS4 owners were streaming Destiny to their PS Vitas via Remote Play. In fact, Destiny was the No. 1 title for Remote Play during the entire month of July, racking up the most Remote Play sessions of any PS4 title.

Watch the video to get up to speed!

PAGE 1 2

+ janusfilmsfan on September 5th, 2014 at 7:06 am said:

Saying this with experience with the beta, but I thought Destiny was the best FPS via remote play. Sooo good.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 6th, 2014 at 10:02 am said:

Glad you liked it! Bungie out work into getting the UI just right, I’m glad you noticed. :)

+ jorge197 on September 5th, 2014 at 7:07 am said:

I can’t wait.

+ AmicusIgnis on September 5th, 2014 at 7:10 am said:

It’s more tempting now than ever to purchase a Vita. Decisions, decisions…

+ VanGogh2Hell on September 5th, 2014 at 7:15 am said:

Now if we can only get the party chat to work during remote play!!! That would be epic!

+ johnnyp70 on September 5th, 2014 at 7:20 am said:

Due to the fact that my second PS4 will be the White Destiny bundle, I had to play most of the beta on remote play rather than the living room PS4. I have to say that I went from thinking I’ll sell the game when the bundle comes, to keeping it because of how well it performs on the Vita. Well done Bungie!

+ thebledkid22 on September 5th, 2014 at 7:21 am said:

I would love to try this but I have never been able to connect to my PS4 through my Xfinity modem/router. Any suggestions?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 6th, 2014 at 10:04 am said:

Have you tried directly connecting to the PS4? That tends to give the cleanest connection.

+ fivexl on September 5th, 2014 at 7:30 am said:

Mapping the sprint button to down on the d-pad is a great idea.

+ KiLLa_JEeZy on September 5th, 2014 at 7:38 am said:

The PsVita is a great tool but that’s all it is. The screen resolution is fuzzy and not clear mind you I have the OLED with the 3G.

I have attempted to play C.O.D Ghost on the Psvita console but the loadout for the controller settings is awkward while playing.

The Psvita buttons with the touch pad have to be revised so that gameplay is as fun when using a PS3 or PS4 remote.

I love my Vita but at times the connection drops and boots me from crossplay and remote play. The Vita doesn’t seem to like keep

connections live while on WiFi.

+ GGCAN on September 5th, 2014 at 7:42 am said:

@6 – thebledkid22

Using remote play via the Internet

You may be able to play remotely on your home PS4™ system from your PS Vita system via the Internet.
Preparing for first-time use

Before performing these procedures, you must do the following:

On the PS4™ system’s function screen, select (Settings) > [Remote Play Connection Settings], and then select the [Enable Remote Play] checkbox to set a checkmark.
On the PS4™ system’s function screen, select (Settings) > [PSNSM] > [Activate as Your Primary PS4] > [Activate].
When using an access point provided by a public Wi-Fi service, set up your system so that it can connect to that access point.

(this is actually on the net at Sony and in the PS Vita manual under Remote play)

+ GGCAN on September 5th, 2014 at 7:42 am said:

Registering (pairing) a device

You can register one PS4™ system on your system for remote play.

When logging in to the PS4™ system, select the user with the Sony Entertainment Network account that is used to sign in on your system.

On your system, select (PS4 Link) > [Start] > [Remote Play].
When registration is complete, the PS4™ system’s screen is displayed on your system.

Playing remotely

Turn on the PS4™ system.

If you enable remote start on the PS4™ system, you can use remote play to wake the PS4™ system from standby mode. On the PS4™system’s function screen, select (Settings) > [Power Save Settings] > [Set Functions Available in Standby Mode], and then select both [Connect to the Internet] and [Enable Turning On PS4 from Network] to set checkmarks.

+ GGCAN on September 5th, 2014 at 7:42 am said:

On your system, select (PS4 Link) > [Start] > [Remote Play]. When the devices connect successfully, the PS4™ system screen appears on your system.

In some network environments, the remote play connection might become unstable.
Using remote play via the Internet

You may not be able to use remote play via the Internet depending on your network connection. If this occurs, the following reference information might help you make a connection.

On the PS4™ system’s function screen, select (Settings) > [Network] > [Test Internet Connection], and then confirm that you are able to connect to both the Internet and PSNSM.
Verify whether port 9304 (UDP) can be used. If that port cannot be used, you must adjust your router’s port forwarding setting to allow communication to the PS4™ system from the Internet. For details on the port numbers used for remote play and how to adjust settings, refer to the instructions supplied with your router.
If the PS4™ system is connected to the Internet via two or more routers, communication may not work correctly.

+ GGCAN on September 5th, 2014 at 7:42 am said:

A router is a device that allows multiple devices to share a single Internet line.
Communication might be restricted depending on the security functions provided by your router or Internet service provider. Refer to the instructions supplied with the network device in use, and information from your Internet service provider.
Port forwarding is a function for forwarding signals that arrive at a specific port (entrance) to another specified port (exit). This is also referred to as “port mapping” or “address conversion.”

+ Tygan on September 5th, 2014 at 7:43 am said:

+ VanGogh2Hell on September 5th, 2014 at 7:15 am said:

I agree. It’s not as fun being in a party with friends then moving to the Vita and not being able to communicate back using a Vita’s mic or a headphone plugged into it.

+ GGCAN on September 5th, 2014 at 7:44 am said:

I tried this during the beta as well and it plays very well.

I have the old OLED Vita and I was shocked at how good the resolution was on the Vita.

Great game and features !

+ Seiven on September 5th, 2014 at 7:44 am said:

this will make leveling at night without waking up the wife a lot easier.

+ GGCAN on September 5th, 2014 at 7:58 am said:

@8 – KiLLa_JEeZy

Do you have your PS4

+ Rezolution77 on September 5th, 2014 at 7:59 am said:

Quick question.
Was the vivid Vita screen OLED?

Because if so, you should let people know about how the newer model is not OLED.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 6th, 2014 at 10:06 am said:

In this shoot we used the new slimmer PS Vita

+ GGCAN on September 5th, 2014 at 7:59 am said:

sorry touched enter by mistake.

Do you have your PS4 wired or wifi ?

I have mine wired and it plays very well with no lagging and very minimal drops.

+ MarinoBrea on September 5th, 2014 at 8:07 am said:

And since Destiny was already held back by last gen (and Xbone) so it is only 30fps, it won’t feel different on Vita (which can only display PS4 60fps at 30fps).

+ winterdust on September 5th, 2014 at 8:07 am said:

No back touch = total win. Great job mapping the controls!

+ CrispyCanuk on September 5th, 2014 at 8:26 am said:

“We saw a bunch of people playing Destiny (a AAA studio produced next-gen shooter thing) on their vitas” —-> We are not going to make AAA games for Vita in house anymore. Hrrmmmm

+ Notday319 on September 5th, 2014 at 8:28 am said:

taunting. teasing. and now my vita is having a joygasm.

You will PLAY for this 9th!

+ YungShep on September 5th, 2014 at 8:34 am said:

i will admit, most of my alpha/beta sessions was directly from my vita ^ ^. it’s quite nifty, however i did not know the d pad was the run button, i couldn’t find that at all..i thought it was purposely removed for vita.

been ready, my pre download will be here soon, and then 2am…the only time i wished i stayed in the pacific time zone :/

+ hbernritter on September 5th, 2014 at 8:45 am said:

I used the remote play on the Alpha and the Beta and it works flawlessly and bungies own take on the controls make it feel so comfortable to play remotely. Can’t wait for next week!!

+ CrusaderForever on September 5th, 2014 at 8:48 am said:

I logged 4 hours on Remote Play during the Destiny Beta and it was flawless! I am glad to see others taking advantage of arguably the most impressive innovation in gaming history! 4 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!

+ AaronSOLDIER on September 5th, 2014 at 8:52 am said:

@21 lol so true.

+ Ricen-Beans on September 5th, 2014 at 8:54 am said:

I just want to know how remote play works on dat new Z3 compact tablet with the DS4!

Sid, can u provide ANY info??

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 6th, 2014 at 10:07 am said:

Not at the moment beyond “it’s going to be a thing”

+ CrusaderForever on September 5th, 2014 at 8:56 am said:

@KiLLa_JEeZy

This is just you as I have logged well over 100 hours using Remote Play and never had it drop without Netfilx. The only problem I have is when someone is using Netflix and I am away from my PS4 in my room. That is the only time I have had it drop on me. No Netflix it works flawlessly. You may want to check the PS4 Remote Play Settings and uncheck the Direct Connection box. This way it will use your WIFI.

+ Broman_YZ on September 5th, 2014 at 9:00 am said:

@Sid Shuman

Are digital pre order codes, purchased through an online retailer like amazon.com, going to be made available on the 7th so as to take advantage of the nifty pre loading feature? and be able to play 1st thing?!
I had inquired with Amazon and they had directed me to Playstation support, but I figured Bungie would know best.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 6th, 2014 at 10:08 am said:

Interesting question. I would assume that code goes live at might PT Monday night

+ Elric_X on September 5th, 2014 at 9:05 am said:

+1 on no back touch. The rear touch pad is like a hardware bug designed right into the Vita. It sounded good on paper but it makes so many things unusable if you don’t have tiny Japanese girl hands. I hate it.

+ KiLLa_JEeZy on September 5th, 2014 at 9:08 am said:

LOL I can’t believe GGCAN. I work at a networking company and I am well versed with how to mange my internet connections

I DO HAVE A PS4,PS3 AND PSVITA. I have already read the tutorial that you posted back when the Vita was released.

Thanks for assuming I’m an Idiot. My Vita is on DHCP and I have an assigned IP that is permanently associated with my devices.

+ Thwip on September 5th, 2014 at 9:37 am said:

@GGCAN, I thought your efforts to help KiLLa_JEeZy were sincere, I appreciated your posts.

+ KazeEternal on September 5th, 2014 at 9:48 am said:

When can we sync a DS4 to our vita’s to use for remote play?

+ ArmedOne78 on September 5th, 2014 at 11:51 am said:

The remote play function works well. I know from experience. Played the beta at work one day for about 45min, and then 3hrs one night when I was out of town for work (in another state). I worked great. Also would play at home when I was unable to be in front of the tv…

+ tusunami on September 5th, 2014 at 11:52 am said:

I see more & more the PS Vita is looking real good glad I never gave up on PS Vita like a lot of people that cried about Sony not supporting the handheld.

+ GGCAN on September 5th, 2014 at 12:05 pm said:

@31 – KiLLa_JEeZy.

Maybe next comment, you could specify exactly what you have done; you asked for any assistance and not knowing the knowledge you may have, I quoted the simple basic facts.

Have you even tried what was mentioned ‘Verify whether port 9304 (UDP) can be used. If that port cannot be used, you must adjust your router’s port forwarding setting to allow communication to the PS4™ system from the Internet.’ ?

Seems from all the posts here, no one but you, the one working at a Networking company are having any problems with Remote play.

Are you sure you have the PS4 on Standby and NOT shut off, as it won’t work if it is powered off ?

I don’t see anywhere on this post where I assume or mention that you are an ‘idiot’ as you put it.

+ GGCAN on September 5th, 2014 at 12:05 pm said:

@32 – Thwip

Thank you, appreciated !

+ GGCAN on September 5th, 2014 at 12:08 pm said:

@31 – KiLLa_JEeZy.

I have an OLED Vita as well and I don’t see any fuzzy resolution on this game or any other Vita or Remote play game.

As well, I was commenting to @6 (if you don’t want to know what I post to help another, then DON’T read it).

I hate to vent, but you sure make people do that.

+ GGCAN on September 5th, 2014 at 12:25 pm said:

KiLLa_JEeZy

Check the post that CrusaderForever gave you (it’s @28).

Since you work in Network, I would assume that you have already done this.

They mentioned to you: ‘You may want to check the PS4 Remote Play Settings and uncheck the Direct Connection box. This way it will use your WIFI.’

+ XenoNative on September 5th, 2014 at 12:34 pm said:

I completely forgot I could do this….I’ll give it a try when the game launches.

+ TH3-KILL-BILL125 on September 5th, 2014 at 1:53 pm said:

Wait. So If they Can Stream Destiny {PS4 Version} Over Wifi, why can’t they stream the PS3 Version Via Playstation Now?

+ HippeusOmega on September 5th, 2014 at 1:54 pm said:

I used the remote play a bit during the beta. Was impressed by the latency as well as the controls and that was about 3 miles away from my house.

+ HeavyToka on September 5th, 2014 at 2:31 pm said:

This will be great for looking for loot while in bed lol

+ wjang on September 5th, 2014 at 6:15 pm said:

PS4 digital pre-orders were pointless if PS3 versions get both automatically. I hope Destiny has a limited period of cross-buy, so PS4 players can download the game on their PS3’s for free. (You might think it’s pointless but many of us have friends on last gen consoles who we’d love to play with)

+ Nyyarlethotep on September 5th, 2014 at 9:47 pm said:

I love this, I just wish that remote play worked outside of my house! I love the idea of playing in between classes, but getting remote play stable when you are more than like 100 feet from your PS4 is really really difficult, and I personally have not gotten it to work.

+ radioavon on September 6th, 2014 at 5:32 am said:

@21 I’m with you. To me this proves people still want these types of experiences on their handhelds and sony is acting like the units are out there. They just aren’t bringing content anymore. Shame.

+ Shadead on September 6th, 2014 at 3:02 pm said:

@4 If you use the Party chat on the Vita to connect to the part before going into remote play you can voice chat. It doesn’t work quite as well since you can’t switch back to it without knocking out the remote play but if you don’t plan on switching parties on a whim then you should be fine.

+ subsamuel01 on September 6th, 2014 at 3:09 pm said:

I hate that Sony is using remote play as an excuse as to why there aren’t any recent first party triple AAA Vita games.

+ spacemonkeyham on September 6th, 2014 at 10:58 pm said:

SO much better than the Borderlands 2 control layout. Using the D-down for sprinting is so simple and so effective! Awesome work!

+ honkayjeezus on September 7th, 2014 at 1:58 am said:

Finally a Vita title Sony cares about!

PAGE 1 2