PlayStation Vue

Sep 05

thebindingofisaac

Enter Insanity — The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth Hits PS4, Vita 11/4

Tyrone Rodriguez's Avatar Posted by on Sep 05, 2014 // The Janitor

Hello again! It’s me, Tyrone Rodriguez, janitor at Nicalis, Inc. and producer on Legend of Raven (coming to PS4 and PS Vita) as well as The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (coming to PS4 and PS Vita on November 4th!), which I’ll be talking about today.

If you’re not familiar with The Binding of Isaac, it combines elements of The Legend of Zelda and Smash TV with the roguelike genre. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth literally features hundreds of items, weapons and power-ups all wrapped-up in an arcade-like experience. The game is designed by this guy:

Edmund McMillen

And he said, “it’ll be awesome to finally give console players a chance to experience the weirdest thing I’ve ever made.” I’ve been working with him for two years and have to agree.

OK, so let’s get into it.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth features over 500 hours of gameplay (not marketing fluff, it’ll take you at least this long to unlock all the secrets in the game). Each run will be different because the enemies, rooms, levels and drops are all randomly generated. Every time you beat the game or die and start a new game it’ll be all-new and fresh.

Along the way you’re going to find over 450 items/weapons/power-ups and general pick-ups that affect Isaac in various ways.

BOSSES, ENEMIES and more BOSSES

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth features over 50 bosses, including a whole bunch of new ones as well as retunes on previous bosses. What we’ve done with the bosses is give them more variety and create boss behaviors versus patterns. What that means is that although bosses will behave a certain way, we’ve added a layer of complexity that will make them more fun to fight and kill!

WEAPONS and COMBOS

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth has a unique weapon combo system. When you pick up a weapon upgrade, then another and another, it’s not unlikely that the various attributes of those weapons will merge and modify to create a new (hopefully) better weapon.

Have a look below:

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Anyone who’s played the classic vertical shooter Raiden may be familiar with this kind of weapon. In The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, your weapons will stack. To get this fancy homing laser you need to find Technology, which is the laser and then also find Spoon Bender. The latter weapon lets certain others defy the laws of physics and home in on multiple enemies. AWESOME.

And here’s Ludovic with Brimstone:

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

If you’re old enough to enlist in the military, then you may want to watch this. Be warned, it’s not for everywhere and probably not work-safe. You have been warned!

By the way, I’m here for you! I’m open to questions, suggestions and general feedback; let me know if you’d like to see more posts related to The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth here and we’ll break away more of the mystery.

Got questions? Hit me up via the comments below.

PAGE 1 2

+ Nade_IL on September 5th, 2014 at 10:07 am said:

Hi tyrone :) can’t wait to play! Do you have any comment regarding ps+?

+ Tyrone Rodriguez on September 5th, 2014 at 10:44 am said:

I have PS+ on my personal PS4 and Vita. Love it!

+ Darig0n on September 5th, 2014 at 10:09 am said:

WANT

+ SeanStrange on September 5th, 2014 at 10:11 am said:

Nice, really looking forward to this. Played the hell out of the original on Steam.

+ Nade_IL on September 5th, 2014 at 10:14 am said:

And another question: do you feel like the vita controls are as tight as the PS4’s or is it harder to dodge and aim?

+ Tyrone Rodriguez on September 5th, 2014 at 10:45 am said:

We’ve developed the PS4 and Vita version in parallel and have made sure that the experience is as close to each other as possible. But keep in mind we’ve had to make some adjustments to buttons because PS Vita has two less shoulder buttons. No backtouch, don’t worry.

+ Gorvi on September 5th, 2014 at 10:17 am said:

Man, I can’t wait for this. I liked the game on PC, but having this on the Vita will be perfect. :)

+ NeedNoRespect on September 5th, 2014 at 10:18 am said:

Is it going to be free through PS+ when it releases?

+ Tyrone Rodriguez on September 5th, 2014 at 10:47 am said:

This is the PS+ November game for North America and Europe, so yes.

+ Mintblend_44321 on September 5th, 2014 at 10:20 am said:

November 4th is gonna seem like an eternity.

+ RSevo09 on September 5th, 2014 at 10:20 am said:

I’ve been anticipating this game for awhile now, looks fun, day 1 buy for me on vita. Will it be cross save with the ps4 version?

+ xClayMeow on September 5th, 2014 at 10:26 am said:

Yessssssssssssssss!

I’ve been waiting for this forever! I have over 150 hours invested in the PC version and can’t wait to play this on Vita!

So way back during E3 2013, it was said that BoI: Rebirth would be IGC. Is that still the case? November 4 is indeed the first Tuesday of the month!

+ winterdust on September 5th, 2014 at 10:27 am said:

Can’t believe this game is FINALLY hitting playstation! I stopped playing the PC version when it was announced so definitely looking forward to taking this on the go with vita. :)

+ fgmatt12 on September 5th, 2014 at 10:27 am said:

Will there be a platinum trophy? Given that platinum god was so fun to go after in the original version, seems like a platinum trophy would be a natural fit.

+ GStylez1980 on September 5th, 2014 at 10:31 am said:

Man, I am really feeling the Vita love the past couple weeks from Sony. Another great game coming to the system…really looking forward to The Binding of Isaac!

+ xClayMeow on September 5th, 2014 at 10:31 am said:

Oh, I thought of a couple more questions:

1. Will “seeds” be shareable cross-platform between PSV, PS4, and PC? Since I believe they’re just codes you enter, I don’t see why not, but confirmation would be nice.

2. Is multiplayer supported on the Vita? IIRC, I believe Rebirth only has local co-op, so I’m guessing not, but again, would like confirmation.

+ Nade_IL on September 5th, 2014 at 10:33 am said:

xClayMeow I’ve been watching you for a while. I think I like you :-)

+ GattsuWolf on September 5th, 2014 at 10:52 am said:

Looks like an upgraded bomberman for vita… I love it! :) thank you guys for supporting the vita :)

+ ravendies on September 5th, 2014 at 10:53 am said:

Awesome feels like I have been waiting forever. November is right around the corner.

+ xClayMeow on September 5th, 2014 at 10:54 am said:

@Nade_IL =D

@Tyrone….did you mean to do a double negative as a hint or is that just a typo?! Now you have me intrigued!!! lol

+ DynamiteJack9 on September 5th, 2014 at 10:57 am said:

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo exited !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you guyss for making it possible!!!! Better keep busy….Two months is a long wait.
What size will it be on vita more or less?
And, please, can you show a footage of ps4 vs vita visuals?

+ Tyrone Rodriguez on September 5th, 2014 at 11:11 am said:

Final product should be under 1GB

As far as footage from PS4 vs PS Vita. They’re generally the same. We’ve been able to get most if not all the visual effects of the game into the Vita.

+ Akimitsu782 on September 5th, 2014 at 11:07 am said:

Can’t wait for this, as I know I’ve watched countless hours of people playing it on Twitch.

@GattsuWolf The game is nothing like Bomberman, as the GIF shown is just a boss fight. The game plays more like the 2D Legend of Zeldas (the dungeons), with things being randomized, and lots and lots of stuff (items, characters, etc) to unlock.

+ tusunami on September 5th, 2014 at 11:29 am said:

Say what I have heard a lot about this game & it’s finally making its way to the PS Vita & PS4 and it’s free for ps plus members. Glad to see alot of pc games making there way onto the PS Vita & PS4!!!!!!!

+ Phedran on September 5th, 2014 at 11:30 am said:

Tyrone! You spoiled us at PAX and now I’m going to have a really hard time waiting! I actually bought my Vita last year specifically for Rebirth so I’m glad I’ll be able to use it for it’s intended purpose soon. <3

+ ZombiePyro on September 5th, 2014 at 11:45 am said:

I AM COMPLETE!!!!

+ ein_nineteenth on September 5th, 2014 at 11:56 am said:

Trying to sell old features as new features. I really do hope people aren’t gullible and actually research the game.

+ Tyrone Rodriguez on September 5th, 2014 at 12:07 pm said:

This is the first time it’s coming to PlayStation 4 or PS Vita. It’s all-new if you haven’t play the PC version. Care to elaborate?

+ KJAZZ on September 5th, 2014 at 11:57 am said:

Even though I’m getting it free with plus, I’ll be absolutely buying it on PC as well. Can’t wait!

+ TwinDad on September 5th, 2014 at 12:04 pm said:

Small size, and no back touch. You Win!

+ KingOPork on September 5th, 2014 at 12:15 pm said:

Super excited for this. Only concern is there’s been no mention of cross-save. I own a Vita and PS4. If the game will take hundreds of hours to unlock everything, It would be sad if I had to pick just one to stick to.

+ Tyrone Rodriguez on September 5th, 2014 at 2:26 pm said:

It’ll definitely have Cross-Save so you can play on your PS4 and take it with you on the road.

+ Kishnabe on September 5th, 2014 at 12:32 pm said:

Happy the Vita is getting some of the quality indies that were only avalible on PC.

+ rabidninjamonky on September 5th, 2014 at 1:05 pm said:

I just watched that crazy trailer! Err…what I mean is I’m buying this on day 1 and I don’t know anything about a trailer. Please don’t kill me!

+ Kyomaa on September 5th, 2014 at 1:06 pm said:

This looks fantastic. The development staff have really outdone themselves for this one. The pixel art looks fantastic, the game looks so smooth, and with the wealth of added content this will really be the definitive version of Isaac for all who love this series. Also, thanks for giving me a reason to buy a 2nd controller for my PS4. :) My son and I will enjoy playing this game together for many hours I am sure.

@Tyrone: I love Crash Bandicoot, but do you think there is anyway I’ll be able to replace him with Isaac related characters?

+ Tyrone Rodriguez on September 5th, 2014 at 2:41 pm said:

That’s a VERY good idea re: Crash

+ plaztiksyke on September 5th, 2014 at 1:09 pm said:

I’ve been waiting for a proper announce of release date on this one for quite some time. So excited!

I’d really like to hear more details on cross-save, and cross-play for the multiplayer. Sometimes my husband travels and we play multiplayer games between the Vita and PS3/PS4 as a way to stay connected while apart.

Will there be cross-controller support?

I remember on PC the music was great — will it be 24-bit FLAC on PS4? 320kbps Ogg/AAC on Vita?

+ RoxasDingo on September 5th, 2014 at 1:15 pm said:

Whaaaat??!! Seriously?!! This is going to be November’s game for ps+??!!! *_* Oh my God, I knew I had fallen in love with Binding of Isaac ever since the first ten seconds I played it. More than any AAA title out there I think I’ve been waiting this game forever. Isaac rules!! And you guys rule the most! Rewarding our patience with a game free on arrival… *tear drops* (pun intended).

+ AlexAntares on September 5th, 2014 at 1:45 pm said:

No ps3 version? WHYYYYYY???

+ Tyrone Rodriguez on September 5th, 2014 at 2:42 pm said:

+ HeavyToka on September 5th, 2014 at 2:28 pm said:

Awesome! Can’t wait for this on Vita!

+ shadysaiyanz on September 5th, 2014 at 2:39 pm said:

What happened to Legend of Raven? it never came out and why’s it in a 4:3 aspect ratio?

+ Tyrone Rodriguez on September 5th, 2014 at 2:43 pm said:

If a fighting game is designed for 4:3 then it should always be 4:3. In the case of Legend of Raven the PS4 and PS Vita versions will have 4:3 and a pseudo-16:9 but the latter format will have invisible walls. It’s no fun chasing your opponent around a wide screen for the entire match.

+ shadysaiyanz on September 5th, 2014 at 2:47 pm said:

Thanks for the reply Tyrone. I understand that because i hate chasing people. Any new information on it or release date?

+ Tyrone Rodriguez on September 5th, 2014 at 2:49 pm said:

We’re currently testing online. That’s the big part of nailing the final game.

+ DecadanceFantasy on September 5th, 2014 at 2:48 pm said:

I know what I’ll be playing come November. Though I have a feeling I’m not going to be too good at it. The Binding of Issac Rebirth looks really fun. Scary fun. I haven’t played the original since I just started getting into steam but I’ll try it out on my Liberation Vita (or maybe my soon to be mine Destiny PS4!)
So it’ll be free for Plus? Really happy about that!

+ Rockefellow on September 5th, 2014 at 3:31 pm said:

It’s nice to get confirmation that this will be part of November’s PS+ lineup. If there are plans for any extra content or expansions, I’d be happy to spend a few bucks to show appreciation for bringing this out on PlayStation platforms.

+ Thwip on September 5th, 2014 at 3:56 pm said:

Tyrone, I like your no BS, no holds barred attitude towards your replies.

+ Tyrone Rodriguez on September 5th, 2014 at 4:01 pm said:

Thanks! I think of everyone here as peers and should speak as such.

+ FEGuy on September 5th, 2014 at 6:13 pm said:

My Danganronpa 2 order hasn’t even arrived yet and I’ve already forgotten about every other Vita game but this. I was starting to worry this’d slip to 2015.

My only complaint so far is with Sony rather than you guys – as far as I’m aware, it’s still impossible to buy a game you’ve got free through PS+ unless your subscription lapses. I’ve already put down a preorder through Steam (I’ve put more hours into the original game and Wrath of the Lamb than I’d like to admit), and I’m sure there’s some sort of healthy payment coming your way from Sony through the PS+ agreement, but this is one of a very small amount of games (single-digit number here) that I wish I could actually pay for, especially now that it’ll be portable without dragging a laptop around.

+ KUDOUTAIKI on September 5th, 2014 at 7:51 pm said:

YES!!!!!!!! :D an excellent game and PS+ IGC in November!!!! thank you! Mr. Rodriguez my PS4/PSVITA are ready!

+ cowmamba on September 5th, 2014 at 8:44 pm said:

Greatest trailer for the Vita ever.

+ ChibiMrBubbles on September 5th, 2014 at 9:34 pm said:

I own this on Steam along with the Wrath of the Lamb expansion, would have double dipped on PS3 for local co-op alone. Forever chained to a PC with no hope of local multiplayer.

Feels bad man.

+ Grexotic on September 5th, 2014 at 11:38 pm said:

Cool. I hope the PS4 version is #3D capable! (Crosses Fingers)

+ MapleStory on September 6th, 2014 at 12:15 am said:

Been waiting for this for a while. Never played it but have always wanted to (on console, not really a pc gamer) so it’s most definitely a day 1 purchase!

Huge thanks for bringing it over, guys!

+ BuragTR on September 6th, 2014 at 3:33 am said:

Hey Tyrone.Do you plan on adding online coop to the game in the future?Vita players wont be able to play with 100+ babies game has.Maybe add a challenge where AI plays the game and we play as the baby?

+ Tyrone Rodriguez on September 6th, 2014 at 10:28 am said:

We won’t. I’d rather make another game in the time it takes to add online play. If you have a PlayStation TV, that’ll eventually support co-op. The Vita version’s main purpose is to make sure you get your Isaac fix while you’re on the road. Play it on PS4, save your progress and continue that on Vita.

+ pgem1978 on September 6th, 2014 at 4:48 am said:

I am glad to hear this is the free november ps+ game. I will help me to cure my road not taken addiction.

+ HentayHinata on September 6th, 2014 at 7:11 am said:

Is this the main title for PS+ November Lineup?
Or will we get Knack and Isaac because of anniversary? Looking forwart to this.

+ Super_Aggro_Crag on September 6th, 2014 at 8:51 am said:

“No PS3 version because it costs more money to port/develop than we’d probably make back in sales.”

Interesting you decided to make a vita version then

+ Tyrone Rodriguez on September 6th, 2014 at 10:29 am said:

Since Vita has yet to be replaced by a new version, it’s still Sony’s current portable console and worth doing. Also, I love my Vita and play it regularly. My PS3, unfortunately, not so much.

+ Super_Aggro_Crag on September 6th, 2014 at 10:35 am said:

I like my vita too and I love that you’re giving me the game on it. I actually got the pc version not that long ago and do a run or two almost every day. It’s just funny to me that you cited sales when we all know how sad the poor vita is in that regard. Attach rate is supposed to be really good, at least.

PAGE 1 2