Sep 17

Super Mega Baseball Coming to PS4, PS3 this Fall

Scott Drader's Avatar Posted by on Sep 17, 2014 // Co-founder, Metalhead Software

Heyo! My name is Scott Drader and I’m a co-founder of Metalhead Software, a tiny indie studio on an island floating somewhere off the Canadian west coast. I am most utterly delighted to tell you that we’ve got a new sports game cookin’ for you by the name of Super Mega Baseball and it’s going to be headed your way this fall on PS4 and PS3. I’m going to tell you a little bit about why we decided to make the game in the first place and then elaborate on the Various Heat This Game Be Packin’.

Super Mega Baseball on PS4 and PS3

There was once an era – and you’ll know what I’m talking about if you’ve been around for a while – when a variety of new sports games came out each year; indeed the genre has gravitated towards fewer new titles each year. We once had titles ranging from casual, to ridiculous, to arcade, all the way up to simulation. A lot of these games lived at this nice overall level of complexity where you could plop yourself on the couch with friends, even if they weren’t huge sports fans, and go from having no idea what you’re doing to having a blast in just an hour or two. It was a very cool era for the genre.

I’ll acknowledge that there’s some nostalgia in my words. The reality is that games have improved, and so have expectations. There are reasons we see fewer sports games now. There are reasons that indie developers haven’t penetrated the sports genre in the same way they have other genres. I could talk all day about how these things came to be, but let’s just say that we decided it was absolutely necessary that we make a new couch-coop/competitive baseball game.

Super Mega Baseball on PS4 and PS3Super Mega Baseball on PS4 and PS3

Super Mega Baseball is an accessible, “lite” baseball simulation. It’s unlicensed which means we’ve been able to have a ton of fun with the characters and stadiums (and throw in some parody when necessary!). Our number one goal from the beginning was to nail a set of gameplay mechanics that make for a solid couch-coop/couch-competitive experience. That means accessible, but with subtleties that add depth over time. Here are the goods:

2-4 player couch co-op/competitive: This can be head-to-head, 2v1, 2v2, or co-op vs the CPU. When you’ve got a teammate, you’ll be alternating batting/running each at-bat, and alternating pitching/fielding each inning. This means everyone’s involved and you’ll have to be on your toes. There’s per-user, sliding difficulty settings, meaning you’ll be able to easily setup a close game between friends of any skill levels.

Ultra responsive, blazing fast gameplay: In a nutshell, you’re going to spend most of your time telling your players what to do. All the cinematic stuff is skippable and you’ll be able to cut through 9-innings in 20 minutes. The basic controls are ultra-easy to learn, but you’ll need to master jumping, diving, wall-catches, power-swings, and cut-off plays to properly dominate your friends.

Full batting/pitching stats: There’s not much to say here other than that the information you expect to see is all there.

Realistic simulation and physics: Don’t be fooled by the light-hearted/comical presentation; the fundamentals of the sport of baseball are here.

Leveling System: You’ll tally up Starpoints for hits/strikeouts/catches during each game, Level Up once you have enough, and then hire staff to train and coach your players, boosting their abilities. Use that jacked up team to win at higher difficulties (and post higher leaderboard scores than your friends!).

Team customizations: Customize the look of your squad to your hearts delight. You can make as many aesthetic adjustments as you want. Laaaaadies… are in the house (and the game).

Super Mega Baseball on PS4 and PS3

I sometimes get the feeling the word “sports” is a dirty word for gamers that don’t also happen to be hardcore sports fans. And no doubt modern sports games can be an alienating experience if you don’t live for sports. That being said, I wholeheartedly believe that just as Shooting a Monster in the Face is a solid premise and implicitly provides an excellent underlying rule set for a video game, Smashing a Ball Over a Fence With a Stick is an equally wonderful and glorious premise. I hope many of you agree!

If you have any questions, just post ‘em below and I’ll do my best to answer, and also hit up SMB’s Twitter feed for plenty of juicy details in the coming weeks.

+ mtk93 on September 17th, 2014 at 9:05 am said:

Can you create your own players? I remember playing Baseball All-Stars on the NES and creating my own players (myself, family members, friends) and that was a ton of fun. Instant buy if you can.

Scott Drader's Avatar

+ Scott Drader on September 17th, 2014 at 9:25 am said:

Yes! There’s a full character editor – you can fully customize their appearance and names.

+ GattsuWolf on September 17th, 2014 at 9:08 am said:

This should be on vita -_- why not? :/

Scott Drader's Avatar

+ Scott Drader on September 17th, 2014 at 9:33 am said:

Yep, I totally agree. It’s in the works. We’re a very small studio so each new platform takes us a while.

+ bullstandsalone on September 17th, 2014 at 9:28 am said:

This looks great! How many ballparks do you hope to have upon release?

Scott Drader's Avatar

+ Scott Drader on September 17th, 2014 at 9:37 am said:

4 parks. There’s some details on the website =)

+ tylerh1701 on September 17th, 2014 at 9:41 am said:

So there’s no single player? And no online?

Scott Drader's Avatar

+ Scott Drader on September 17th, 2014 at 10:25 am said:

There’s lotsa single player – with team development and stuff. As far as online, there’s a competitive scoring system that feeds into the Leaderboards, but no online multiplayer.

+ MartB64 on September 17th, 2014 at 9:45 am said:

Is there any support for PlayStation Camera or Move? (batting/pitching)

Scott Drader's Avatar

+ Scott Drader on September 17th, 2014 at 10:27 am said:

No. For this first release we wanted to focus on nailing a single core control scheme.

+ glassmusic on September 17th, 2014 at 10:07 am said:

Wow, this really came out of nowhere! Definite a day 1 buy for me. Couch coop with my wife? DONE.

+ NiroTheGreat on September 17th, 2014 at 10:10 am said:

“…you’ll need to master jumping, diving, wall-catches, power-swings, and cut-off plays”.

This part! This reminds me of Baseball Stars on the NES. It sounds excellent. I absolutely loved climbing the fence to try and steal home runs from my brother (though I don’t know if I was ever actually successful at it.) The leveling and upgrading players sounds great as well.

Do you have any plans to do other sports in the future, pending the success of this game?

Scott Drader's Avatar

+ Scott Drader on September 17th, 2014 at 11:21 am said:

Undecided – we’re still totally consumed with this project. I’m looking forward to having to time to think about the next one though :D

+ killerlightning on September 17th, 2014 at 10:23 am said:

very good looking game, see this is what Indie games are suppose to be. Fun and have some graphical current and last gen look to them and not some 8 bit or 16 bit.

questions: how much is it going to be and also will there be any online play b/c i dont have any one in my family that is a gamer so its always nice for me to play online with friends.

+ killerlightning on September 17th, 2014 at 10:27 am said:

Also have that question to now if it is not single player than no buy from me than.

+ killerlightning on September 17th, 2014 at 10:31 am said:

What do you mean by team development and stuff for single play, does that mean we won’t really be able to play the game than without a co-op partner or is everything the same like leveling up and such. I am kind of confused by your response to the other persons post b/c this looks like a fun game but if it can’t be fully enjoyed single player I wouldnt want to purchase it.

Scott Drader's Avatar

+ Scott Drader on September 17th, 2014 at 10:49 am said:

There’s a full single player mode. Seasons, playoffs, stats, level-ups, improving your team, and so on. Playing it co-op is entirely optional.

+ xClayMeow on September 17th, 2014 at 10:46 am said:

I’ll totally be keeping an eye on a Vita update.

+ migukstyle on September 17th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

Looks interesting, please update us if and when it comes to Vita. Respectfully but sincerely, it’s the only platform I am likely to play it on.

+ Zangetsu219 on September 17th, 2014 at 11:33 am said:

I am actually looking forward to this game ! What is the price point ?

Scott Drader's Avatar

+ Scott Drader on September 17th, 2014 at 12:33 pm said:

I don’t think I’m allowed to say until it’s a bit more official – we’ll let you know soon.

+ Harerazer on September 17th, 2014 at 11:42 am said:

If this is anything (funwise) like Super Baseball 2020 then count me in. You don’t know how long I’ve been waiting for a fun baseball game again. Thank you for your effort even if it doesn’t end up being right for me.

+ jwunorton09 on September 17th, 2014 at 11:43 am said:

will look into this. possible day 1 buy.

+ lodgedrocket on September 17th, 2014 at 11:49 am said:

So, is season just one season or can you keep going multiple seasons with a team?

Scott Drader's Avatar

+ Scott Drader on September 17th, 2014 at 12:41 pm said:

Yep, the team you build up carries over into the next season.

+ lodgedrocket on September 17th, 2014 at 11:49 am said:

By the way, very excited to see a new baseball game!

+ Dionysus-Jones on September 17th, 2014 at 11:51 am said:

This is an itch that definitely needs to be scratched!

Will there be any crazy power-ups like the old skool Baseball Simulator 1000?

+ billyok on September 17th, 2014 at 12:53 pm said:

Thank you for making this. That is all. Can’t wait.

+ Hards80 on September 17th, 2014 at 1:11 pm said:

I played Baseball Stars for countless hours in my youth, the only game that I probably put more hours into was Super Mario 3. Needless to say, I am excited about this game, and was not expecting this at all. Will be keeping an eye on this.

+ Xaegoth on September 17th, 2014 at 1:33 pm said:

As someone who played Baseball Stars on the NES until the cartridge didn’t work anymore, this game will be a day ONE purchase for me.

Any estimate on a release date? Sorry if it was listed and I missed it.

+ Bottlenose54 on September 17th, 2014 at 1:59 pm said:

Any chance of taking these fantastic graphics/engine/gameplay,and putting them into a Football game? “THAT WOULD BE INSANE”!!!

Scott Drader's Avatar

+ Scott Drader on September 17th, 2014 at 3:40 pm said:

I love Football too, probably played Tecmo Super Bowl more than any other NES game. This game is gonna keep us busy for a while though…

+ todoublem on September 17th, 2014 at 2:28 pm said:

I’ll be honest. Without online play I have no interest in this game. I’m 28 years old i don’t have people over to play a cartoon baseball game, but would love to play with my brother who i don’t live near.

+ SOBAY310 on September 17th, 2014 at 2:38 pm said:

I’ve been hoping we’d see some creativity come back to the sports genre. Thank you for making this game, it sounds very promising and I don’t see why it wouldn’t be a day one purchase for me. How would you compare your game to the concept of Baseball Simulator 1.000?

+ JayNoc on September 17th, 2014 at 2:59 pm said:

Will Online play be added later as DLC or can you elaborate on why it wasn’t added to the game?

Scott Drader's Avatar

+ Scott Drader on September 18th, 2014 at 10:04 am said:

It just comes down to budget honestly. We’re a new, very small studio. If this first release goes well, we can look at some of these things like online MP if the demand is there.

+ jimmyfoxhound on September 17th, 2014 at 5:00 pm said:

Oh I like the look of this! Kinda reminds me of MLB Power Pros 2008 on the PS2. I LOVED that game!

+ phade2blaq on September 17th, 2014 at 6:26 pm said:

Super Mega Baseball? Is this a SNES game?

+ RetroDaddySlim on September 17th, 2014 at 6:40 pm said:

Finally a perfect PS3/PS4 game.
Not the annual EA sports games, seen one seen all.

I love the game how it looks, and I can almost feel it, lol.
This is what playstation was for years, and should be forever.

I wanted to ask about singleplayer mode and enjoying game at home alone or with my family/friends, but I see the question is already asked and answered. I hope it wont be online mandatory, so I can play it when I go to vacation. :)
Thank you for making this game.
Proud PS3 owner.

+ Mario76191 on September 17th, 2014 at 7:29 pm said:

Will this game have real teams? example Minnesota Twins

+ iChuck7 on September 17th, 2014 at 8:35 pm said:

This sounds awesome! This is exactly what this generation of gaming needs. Can you make a football game… And possibly later basketball and hockey?

+ Chip1010 on September 17th, 2014 at 8:48 pm said:

“Will this game have real teams? example Minnesota Twins”

Nah. Unlicensed. I doubt a small game like this could afford the MLB and MLBPA licenses nowadays.

Looking forward to it, though! I absolutely love baseball games, both sims and arcadey ones.

+ PanTheMan16 on September 17th, 2014 at 9:44 pm said:

This sounds really fun, and I’m not a sports fan outside of tennis really. I’ll most likely be buying.
Is there any chance that online multiplayer will be patched in later on? I’m primarily a single-player gamer, but the option to play online would be great if any of my PSN friends decide to buy it as well.

Please share gameplay videos in future postings! :)

+ Nutts on September 17th, 2014 at 11:02 pm said:

I am so excited for this game. I loved Baseball Stars and Bases Loaded. I still remember the fear of pitching to Paste of Omaha with the 61 HRs. It really sounds like you are crafting a memorable and interesting roster of players (and umpires). I’ve missed the days of learning an entire fake league of teams and all the players. Though back then I could only wish for having the real players. It’s funny how times change. I also really hope this does a good job with some simplified controls. I think the trailer mentioned adjustable control schemes, hopefully there is a “beginner” option. I have a 3 year old and a 6 year old, who might like to play with daddy if they can learn controls. So an option for one button hitting, cpu running, or slowing the pitching down might all be helpful. Just don’t let beginner mode qualify for the leader boards. I’ve been thinking about digging out the old NES, but for now, I’ll wait to learn more about this game. This looks like a day one purchase to me. Best of luck and thank you for tackling baseball without having the pressure of the MLB license.

+ vongruetz on September 18th, 2014 at 4:40 am said:

I can’t believe I’m excited about a baseball game. This looks great. I think the fact that they are not real teams and real players makes it more interesting to me. Baseball Stars on the NES is one of the few baseball games I’ve ever really enjoyed, and the customization played a big factor in that.

Will this game have female players as well? That would be awesome if it did.

+ vongruetz on September 18th, 2014 at 4:42 am said:

Just re-read the post and saw that ladies will in fact be in the game. Sweet! I want to buy this NOW (and I really want it on the Vita with cross-save).

+ A10AThunderbolt on September 20th, 2014 at 10:55 am said:

Will this be like (Super) Baseball Simulator 1.000 on the NES & SNES, where players could have optional super powers? I miss those games.

+ jaspertang on September 25th, 2014 at 8:28 pm said:

I know it’s on the work but can’t wait for the PS vita version.

+ txstarman68 on September 30th, 2014 at 12:33 pm said:

Is this going to be a digital download from PSN or will it be a retail store buy?