God of War

Sep 18

Sep 18

How Multiplayer Works in Frozen Synapse Prime

Gareth Wright's Avatar Posted by Design Manager, Double 11

Hey Folks,

We’re getting very close to the release of Frozen Synapse Prime, and I wanted to go over what is really the biggest aspect of the game – the online multiplayer.

Online multiplayer in Prime is both synchronous and asynchronous, as the game is hosted off Double Eleven’s set of dedicated Amazon cloud servers. In other words, two players can either play against each other at the same time when they both have a PS Vita in hand, or they can play it like chess by post, where turns can be taken minutes to days at a time. So you could quick-match against an online opponent now, or take a weekly turn against your friend if you’re not able to meet at the same time to play.

The asynchronous multiplayer aspect allows you to have several games on the go at once, against friends and opponents around the world. The game alerts you when a turn has been made in one of your matches, and players can track and manage their matches via their Active Matches area.

There’s a variety of online modes to choose from; from classic deathmatch style of play to protecting VIPs, rescuing hostages, infiltrating and controlling areas of the map, collecting items to score points, and more.

Extermination – Classic team deathmatch

Frozen Synapse Prime: Extermination

Hostage – Cover and escort hostages to safety

Frozen Synapse Prime: Hostages

Disputed – Collect and extract data cells safely off the battlefield

Frozen Synapse Prime: Disputed

Infiltration – Get one of your team into the enemy zone

Frozen Synapse Prime: Infiltration

Secure – Control and defend your zone against the enemy

Frozen Synapse Prime: Secure

Charge – Bid against an opponent as to how far you believe you can make it

Frozen Synapse Prime: Charge1

The person who takes the most risk becomes the attacker, the other the defender

Frozen Synapse Prime: Charge

Dark Mode – For a deeper challenge across all of these modes. In Light matches the opponent’s squad can be seen on the map at all times. In Dark matches opponents can only be seen when entering one of your unit’s line-of-sight.

Typically squads will contain a mix of different units, but players are free to customize their squads, in multiplayer and vs AI matches. The battlefield and match rules can also be customized.

Leaderboards score and track player performance in all multiplayer match types, and allow you to inspect another’s match stats.

Every individual online match is also saved on our FSP servers, allowing you replay the action, control the camera, toggle each squad’s plans, and learn tactics from the pros.

Using the in-game Replay Theatre you can browse specific channels to replay your multiplayer matches, your friends’ victories, or the top matches chosen by the game. Each match generates a unique code, so you can share your coolest matches with friends.

Finally, offline Skirmish matches allow you to battle against the AI, with all the squad and battlefield customization options available.

The FSP AI think like human players do, they survey the map, consider the strengths of their squad against that of the player’s, predict the player’s moves and utilize built-in strategies to cover each other, flank, suppress, clear rooms and hold areas.

That’s a quick overview of online multiplayer; hope you guys find it useful — thanks for reading!

Add Your Own

Thwip said:

September 18th, 9:14 am

I’m really looking forward to this game, it just exudes cool.

Gareth Wright's Avatar

Gareth Wright said:

September 18th, 1:53 pm

Great to hear dude and thanks for the support.

Gaz – Design Manager at Double 11 (Developers of Frozen Synapse Prime) @Gaz_Wright

akibake said:

September 18th, 9:26 am

I still have no idea how this game is played. The video gives no useful explanation. It looks like you have X number of soldiers and plot out where they will go when you execute your move. I can’t tell what determines which soldier will win a duel when they enter each others’ range. There also appears to be a live element to the game, but it may just animations making it appear player-controlled.

I’m quite familiar with XCOM. Maybe this game plays similarly, but I wouldn’t know it from the video.

Gareth Wright's Avatar

Gareth Wright said:

September 18th, 1:49 pm

Hey dude, I’ve literally just got in from cutting together another in-depth vid that’ll hopefully fill in a few planks on gameplay and strategy ;-). It’ll be up in a few days. I’m also here to answer any questions on here.

FSP is a bit of a unique genre, inspired by shooters and strategy games. Essentially if me and you are playing against each other, you make a plan for all or as many of your units in Turn 1. I do the same. When we both prime or submit that turn, the game combines our plans and plays them out in the outcome – which will likely involve plenty of firefights and units engaging each other. The key difference from other games (like XCOM) is that the turns are played out together….

Gareth Wright's Avatar

Gareth Wright said:

September 18th, 1:50 pm

…So, what determines who will win if your units run into mine? Well it depends on a lot of things, but its all based on reality… who sees who first, who is already facing or aiming in that direction, are you in cover, are you running or ducking, is your unit a sniper with pin-point accuracy, or shot-gunner that need to be in close… all of these things can determine who might have the edge in a firefight.
    It’s not random or a roll of a dice though, whether you come out on top is entirely down to you and your plans, how you can predict your opponent, utilize the terrain, and work with the strengths of your squad.

We would then go into turn 2, and our tactics would have to take into account if we’d lost any units, whether parts of the map had been hit by rockets, and what areas of the map our units were now occupying.

I hope that helps a little bit.

Gaz – Design Manager at Double 11 (Developers of Frozen Synapse Prime)

Rezolution77 said:

September 18th, 11:53 am

Looking forward to this one.

Price, and PS Plus discount?

Personally, not going higher than $11.99 but would almost definately buy Day 1 any less.
Even if it goes IGC or better sale price later.

Would have to watch revews first for anything more.

Gareth Wright's Avatar

Gareth Wright said:

September 18th, 2:10 pm

Hey Rez, I’ll keep prodding our Marketing Dept for the info ;-)

Thanks for the support.

DanTheManIAm said:

September 18th, 12:06 pm

Wow, thats actually a pretty sweet multiplayer with all the customization.

Gareth Wright's Avatar

Gareth Wright said:

September 18th, 1:51 pm

Thanks for the support Dan.

Gaz – Design Manager at Double 11 (Developers of Frozen Synapse Prime)

GattsuWolf said:

September 18th, 1:54 pm

This game looks amazing for the vita… But it’s just me or the the trailer looks a bit laggy? Hope it run smooth on the psvita. Anyway… Day-1 buy for me! ;)

Gareth Wright's Avatar

Gareth Wright said:

September 18th, 2:08 pm

Thanks for the support dude. I did notice it a bit on the animations, but has been fine in-game and other vids, so I’ll take a look.

jaythibodeau said:

September 18th, 4:41 pm

The customization part sounds fantastic. I’ve just got a couple of questions. :)

Is it possible to save drafts of plans, so that you can work on them later?

In Dark mode, is it possible to see which specific unit spotted the enemy (in other words, an option to see only what a specific unit of yours sees)?

babbols123 said:

September 18th, 4:57 pm

Hey! I don’t know if you know the game Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command way back from PSP but this one actually plays like that game.

Anyway, if you do know or not, is it more in-depth than Warhammer?
Seeing it from the video, there’s much more elements and added a bit more unique from the game that I mentioned.

Also, does the soldiers have infinite ammo or is it limited from different soldiers?
Because Warhammer had those limited set of ammo and the turns strict them from going further or shooting more. And I can’t tell from the video if they can just shoot freely unlimited or whatever is in their line of sight.

Thanks in advance if you’ll be able to answer!

~Nes

Rockefellow said:

September 18th, 5:30 pm

I don’t care about a discount or anything like that. My enjoyment from Frozen Synapse on PC has me convinced this will be well worth whatever price it’s set at.

bobikutya3 said:

September 19th, 2:59 am

Hi! Will there be adhoc multiplayer? I dont know why most of the developers forget that feature

Gamer_USA- said:

September 19th, 4:44 am

I fear for the worse of all the trophies…Multiplayer trophies. Please say no.

borres12 said:

September 21st, 10:18 am

I have been eager to get this for a long time on my Vita. After hearing that there is in fact offline skirmish, I am eager to play it even more! Thank you guys for making this an option! I am not a big fan of online multiplayer but I do like playing against AI opponents and since my vita doesn’t have a constant internet connection, I wasn’t going to bother with online mode. So my only hope of increasing the games replay ability/ longevity was that there was an offline mode. Thanks for including offline skirmish in the game!