Spider-Man PS4

Sep 19

theorder1886-promo

The Order: 1886 and the Weapons of War

theorder1886-promo

Ru Weerasuriya's Avatar Posted by on Sep 19, 2014 // CEO and Creative Director, Ready At Dawn Studios

We are extremely honored to be part of Tokyo Game Show 2014. We’ve been humbled by the feedback we’ve received from all the Japanese fans and are excited to be here to reveal the next video in our Behind-the-Scenes series.

With a growing number of weapons manufacturers around the world and Nikola Tesla as their chief scientist, the Knights of the Order have a vast array of armament at their disposal. The inclusion of Tesla into the game allowed us to ground many of the technological advancement we wanted to add to our history in reality. We used weapons based on existing technology in the Victorian-Era but also created others that stretched the realm of what was possible at the time.

Because our Industrial Revolution is a result of the war between Humans and Half-Breeds, many of the inventions of our timeline are primarily focused on ways to aid in this fight. Guns such as the Carbine, the Coach Gun or the Maschinenpistole are common occurrence in the game and represent the technology of the era. While others based on electricity such as the Arc Gun, or based on alternate ammunition such as the Aluminum Iron Oxide of the Thermite Rifle, provide a way for us to use real technologies and materials of the times, while building weapons that did not exist.

Coach Gun

MaschinenpistoleArbalest

Whether real or invented, we always made sure that every weapon we designed followed specific guidelines regarding their assembly, their material use and their craftsmanship. They needed to feel grounded in the real world of the late 1800s. The end goal behind fusing all these weapons into the game was to provide diversity in combat and a fun-factor for the player by showcasing their advantages in different combat scenarios.

Arc Rifle
Thermite Rifle

Some of these weapons were even purposely designed to feel somewhat dangerous not only to your target but to the user as well. We made sure they retained the feeling that they were still in their prototype stage and being field tested. This also reinforced something that was true of the era as often inventions and innovations would find themselves in use well before they were deemed safe to the public, very much unlike the stringent testing and safety regulations that are required today.

To find out more about the process Ready At Dawn went through to create the weaponry of The Order: 1886, I invite you to watch our latest Behind-the-Scenes video titled “Tools of the Trade.”

+ VXBoss on September 19th, 2014 at 12:49 am said:

The level of excitement after watching this is over 8000!

Ru Weerasuriya's Avatar

+ J Goldberg on September 19th, 2014 at 2:00 pm said:

Glad to hear you’re excited, and that your excitement level is nearly off the charts.

We’ll be sure to scan your excitement level after the release of our next video and compare. :)

+ MarinoBrea on September 19th, 2014 at 12:53 am said:

Is there any horse action in this game? maybe a scene with a carriage being chased by wolves through a misty forest under the pale moonlight? I saw blimps in the reveal trailer, do we get to ride one, set it on fire while fighting hybrids and crashing it down with the whole pack of them?

Ru Weerasuriya's Avatar

+ J Goldberg on September 19th, 2014 at 2:33 pm said:

I can confirm there are horses in the game, and that no real horses were harmed during the making of The Order: 1886.

+ honkayjeezus on September 19th, 2014 at 1:42 am said:

Interactive movie from a PSP developer that would rather be making movies? Pass.

+ whereymyconary on September 19th, 2014 at 1:53 am said:

Looks so pretty. Just wish the characters had more feed back when hit by rounds.

when said that’s some of the pro type weapons are dangerous. Is that just a figure of speech or do they actually explode I’m the users hands?

Also are the levels open ended like crisis style or more like a gears of war game with it being more of a corridor shooter.

+ D-Squad3 on September 19th, 2014 at 2:57 am said:

Always good to see more from this game, please keep releasing info! The game is still pretty far away. :(

Getting the Collector’s Edition!

+ dkarlowicz10 on September 19th, 2014 at 4:36 am said:

I look forward to this game. I will be buying it. You guys made the awesome God of War games and Daxter for PSP. Any chance of something similar for Vita? You did Okami for Capcom for Wii; maybe Okami HD for Vita?

Ru Weerasuriya's Avatar

+ J Goldberg on September 19th, 2014 at 1:56 pm said:

Thanks for the kind words about our previous titles. Our team is fully focused on The Order: 1886 currently.

+ Blackmagic316 on September 19th, 2014 at 5:57 am said:

Please do a video on the gameplay. I hear people saying negative things about it. I’m really looking forward to this game I loved Daxter and the God of War. I’m just worried about the gameplay. I love the settings and weapons looks like it will have a GREAT story.

Ru Weerasuriya's Avatar

+ J Goldberg on September 19th, 2014 at 1:57 pm said:

We’ll be showing more gameplay of The Order: 1886 in the future, so stay tuned! This video is more of a behind-the-scenes look at how our game is coming together.

+ Ricen-Beans on September 19th, 2014 at 6:24 am said:

Ru, please please address the concerns of some (or most) of the gaming press about the “not so great” gameplay. It seems everyone (me included) wants this game to be great. Visuals are phenomenal. Story and setting seem awesome. Just get that gameplay perfect!!

+ chavez1138 on September 19th, 2014 at 7:34 am said:

@1 I think you mean it’s over 9000!

+ awesomeface106 on September 19th, 2014 at 8:47 am said:

Will there be a demo for this game coming out?

+ CrusaderForever on September 19th, 2014 at 9:01 am said:

Thanks for this video! D1P for me! However, I am also concerned about all the bad press in regards to the game play. I posted an awesome melee combat idea on your forums. It would be nice to know if there was some form of close combat melee game play involved. Keep up the good work and make sure you communicate with your fans in regards to some of the questions that have been raised. We are your bread and butter so don’t be silent.

+ Matrix_Lion on September 19th, 2014 at 10:19 am said:

I pre-ordered this game a while ago. The game I’m looking forward to the most now.

Ru Weerasuriya's Avatar

+ J Goldberg on September 19th, 2014 at 2:00 pm said:

Thanks for your support!

+ mikemill on September 19th, 2014 at 11:19 am said:

I am so freaking excited for this game.

+ saab01 on September 19th, 2014 at 2:48 pm said:

Looks like a nice game but no multiplayer might make me look to pick up another game instead.

+ tusunami on September 19th, 2014 at 4:34 pm said:

I am very interested in this game when it come out despite what people think about this game it will be epic!!!!!!!!!

+ AlbertChessa on September 19th, 2014 at 5:05 pm said:

I’ve preordered the UK Limited Edition, The Premium and The Collector’s Edition. I’ve written a ‘future review’ of The Order: 1886 where I’ve compared the level of craftsmanship to this beautiful amalgam of Grimshaw (the painter), Dickens/Stevenson (the script/story) and it’s very own special sauce of awesomeness. Thank you for making this groundbreaking project – I’m supporting it as much as I can!

+ PeteStaiv on September 19th, 2014 at 7:08 pm said:

Guys, how long is the game? If I get any indication that it’s 12 hours or longer – Day One Buy for me

+ lamebrainREM on September 20th, 2014 at 8:29 am said:

Can’t wait!

+ CommandingTiger on September 27th, 2014 at 8:42 pm said:

Hey you guys. I hear some feedback from people who played the demo at PAX.

First of all, you guns seem really weak and uneffective. I know that you have to use the alternate trigger to ignite with the hermit rifle. But the thing is that if you only shoot normally, you barely scratch your opponent.
Shooter gamers like guns that are effective and Super Effective causing massive damage.

Also, there was a lack of melee attack with square, what’s up with that? You’d think we’d be able to wield a Two Handed Sword (that would be so badass!)

There should be like 2 modes to this game, a Powerful Mode where you feel super strong with your weapon and enemies explode from left to right with your power explosive weapons, and a Challenging mode where the enemies are super smart, aggressive and it’s all about survival.

It would be cool if it had like Infamous First Light, asort ofground where you could challenge endless waves of monster, each stronger one after another. Online co-op Would b nice