Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Sep 23

Sep 23

Frozen Synapse Prime Hits PS Vita Today, New Tips Trailer

Gareth Wright's Avatar Posted by Design Manager, Double 11

Hi Folks,

The support for Frozen Synapse Prime has been awesome so far and we’re excited to launch on the US PlayStation Store today! We’d like to share a more in-depth look at the gameplay, focusing on some of the more advanced strategies and touch controls.

FSP has been designed in a way that anyone can become a competitive or advanced player, with a ton of depth under the surface. The only limits are your own creativity and deviousness.

FSP isn’t about luck in regards to who will win in a firefight, it’s totally down to you and your tactics. If a unit on your squad gets shot you’ll know why, and how to adapt next time. But when you take out an enemy, you know that you were able to outwit them.

Frozen Synapse Prime

KEYS TO VICTORY

Aside for the commands and moves, victory is just as much about the mind-games between two players, and FSP inspires you to anticipate and deceive your opponent.

Read the Terrain – You can’t ‘learn’ the maps in FSP. There are an infinite number of procedurally generated battlefields, as well as the ability to customize your own. How much cover does the map offer you? How can you best utilize this with the strengths of your squad?

Predict Your Opponents – Use the ability to assign plans to the enemy squad to answer those ‘what if’ scenarios. What if that grenadier tries to escapes his room? Or tries to toss a grenade out? Predict your opponent’s options and then eliminate them.

Frozen Synapse Prime

Work Together – All classes are balanced in FSP with varying strengths and weaknesses. Rocket Launchers can blow up walls but are vulnerable in close-quarters; use them to target rooms to create new routes for your other units, or flush the enemy out.

Advanced Commands
Quick plans with simple paths and aiming can get the job done, but adding extra layers with the more advanced commands will give you an edge.

Use Targeting to eliminate the biggest threats first, or target specific areas.

Frozen Synapse Prime

Use the Continue-on-Sight and Slide commands to fine-tune your paths and aiming, so units are not moving slower through the map when they don’t need to.

Use the Check command to move quickly through rooms, only glancing in specific areas. If there’s a threat your unit will engage, if not he’ll be able to cover ground quickly.

TOUCH CONTROL

The integration of touch control in FSP and its evolution throughout development has been an interesting journey. We initially focused on only getting the camera controls onto the front touch screen, and progressing onto laying down the most common plans and paths players would use.

From there we really challenged ourselves to integrate full touch controls throughout the game, and designed a minimalist user-interface for Vita around that philosophy.

It’s quick and easy to lay down simple and affective plans with full touch controls, or a mix of both touch and button input, whatever you prefer.

Please check out all our other FSP vids on the blog and thanks for listening!

Add Your Own

September 23rd, 10:08 am

Hi there, Gaz here from Double 11, here to answer any questions on Frozen Synapse Prime over the next few days.

Gaz – Design Manager at Double 11 (Developers of Frozen Synapse Prime) @Gaz_Wright

GattsuWolf said:

September 23rd, 10:16 am

I want this game so bad! Can’t wait!! :D anything confirmed for plus members? :)

September 23rd, 10:19 am

Thanks for the support Wolf. Sorry nothing to announce right now. I don’t even know ;-). I”ll give our Marketing guys the people’s elbow to get something out soon ;-).

Slaysme said:

September 23rd, 10:17 am

Hello!
Really looking forward to the game! i enjoyed the original on tablet and PC. Normal questions, like price, size, plans for red mode etc? Thanks for the vita love!

September 23rd, 10:42 am

Hi, I can only tell you about the size, which is approx 280mb. The Red Pack was an expansion to the original and we are treating that the same for Prime, as in, if the demand is there and the sales are good, we’ll consider it for after launch and likely add even more in typical D11 fashion.

Of course we’ve crammed a ridiculous amount of other new and exclusive content in though; Kill Cams, UI, Sfx, VFX, Commands, Mo-cap, Environment Themes, 3D Geometry, Characters, Scoring, Tutorials, etc, etc ;-)…

Thanks for your FSP love too.

OuterSpaceJunky said:

September 23rd, 10:19 am

I thought this was releasing today (Sept. 23). Has it been bumped to next week?

Like many others, I’m excited. I have a huge backlog on my Vita, and it looks like all of those games are getting shoved down the list to make room for this one.

September 23rd, 10:50 am

Hi, yeah it is today US time dude, I’m told around 2pm Pacific time. And it works out tomorrow for Europe.

ninjatuned said:

September 23rd, 10:25 am

Yeah what’s the deal with the release date?? I was confirmed for today weeks ago!

September 23rd, 10:27 am

Thanks for your FSP love too.

Rezolution77 said:

September 23rd, 10:33 am

Has Major Potential for “developement”.
Thought it was scheduled for today :( was hoping for more info such as file size, price, and PS Plus discount.
CounterSpy was no let down, and this one gives me as good a “feel” for possible enjoyment / replay value.

Love your games, so far.

September 23rd, 10:55 am

Size is is approx 280mb.

Sorry I have no info on price for you Rez, I’ll prod the Marketing guys.

SeanStrange said:

September 23rd, 10:47 am

Any plans on bringing Frozen Synapse Prime to the PS4?

September 23rd, 10:51 am

We are a cross-platform developer, but nothing announced yet dude ;-). It something i’m sure could be considered in the future.

akibake said:

September 23rd, 10:48 am

Thanks for the thorough walk-through! That’s exactly what I was looking for.

September 23rd, 10:53 am

Thanks man, and thanks for the continual support and questions. Glad it helped. There’s also some pretty good vids online from some of the builds we sent out to reviewers.

baconcow1812 said:

September 23rd, 10:56 am

Frozen Synapse Prime was confirmed to release today, by Sony. What is up with “less than a week away from launch”? That makes it sound like it is not releasing, today.

September 23rd, 11:01 am

baconcow1812 said:

September 23rd, 11:01 am

Excellent. Thank you for the update. Made me worried, there. I look forward to picking it up later, if the price is good (already have it and the expansion on PC).

OuterSpaceJunky said:

September 23rd, 11:33 am

Yes, thank you Gaz for the clarification. The original post said “less than a week from launch” which is a factual statement but made it sound like it wasn’t releasing today.

Double thanks for coming in and giving detailed responses to people’s questions.

I wish you a successful launch!

September 23rd, 12:35 pm

Yeah i think that was a typo on the blog, we tried to get em to fix it asap ;-)

Rezolution77 said:

September 23rd, 11:44 am

Thanks for your reply earlier.

Oddly enough its in the store now, but at $20 bucks I am definately going to pass and wait for a more reasonable price.

xStillborn said:

September 23rd, 11:46 am

Is FSP compatible with PSTV? If not, will you be patching it so that it is?

Would really love to play this on the big screen using a DS4.

Rezolution77 said:

September 23rd, 11:46 am

Wow.

Wish I could edit my posts like that.

joshs_arena said:

September 23rd, 12:22 pm

Can u play the game without using touch screen controls or do you have to at some point use touch screen controls?

September 23rd, 12:31 pm

You can play will full button controls if you wish. We integrated all the button controls first.

CoolCrushKilla said:

September 23rd, 12:42 pm

Wow $20 is a little to much for me. I just saw that price on psn store. Is that correct?

Kid_Loser said:

September 23rd, 1:03 pm

The $20 price is quite outrageous really. I really wanted this game and was going to buy it. But I was expecting $10, or $15 at most with a PS+ discount cause it seemed to have been so advertised on the blog. I have other games around that price I’d rather spend the money on. Won’t buy, won’t try sadly. Congrats, on losing a customer.

baconcow1812 said:

September 23rd, 1:11 pm

$20 is a little heavy. I was going to buy it for my wife and I, but not at that price.

September 23rd, 2:03 pm

Sorry to hear that Bacon, and others. In our opinion $20 is a good price for the size, content and longevity of Frozen Synapse Prime. The campaign alone is around 20+ hours and the multiplayer is endless. Its a full game, not a budget title guys.

cubanboy6292 said:

September 23rd, 1:25 pm

$20 honestly guys is a good price. Plus it is looks like the game works well with the touch screen.

origin29 said:

September 23rd, 1:43 pm

i saw in a different article that the highly vaunted soundtrack would be available as part of a bundle and seperately, but i dont see it on ps store on my vita. will it be added at a later date, is it sadly not happening or did i just miss it?

Rezolution77 said:

September 23rd, 2:20 pm

I’ll be watching the download count personally.

The file size is less than almost any other game, how is it not an ios ported budget title?

Anyway,
I’ll bite when the price fits, or untill some review really shows its worth that.

September 23rd, 2:40 pm

The possibly a little harsh Rez, as a supporter of the game. Sorry you think the price is a little high but an iOS port it sooooo is not. We have straight ported other games in the past and priced them accordingly.

Aside from the music (which was epic to begin with) everything is new dude! And then there’s all the additional content, presentation and love we’ve poured in.

Rezolution77 said:

September 23rd, 2:21 pm

Sad really.
No good sales this week.

Would have been a great time for a plus discount.

baconcow1812 said:

September 23rd, 2:26 pm

I can handle $20 for a single copy, but really expected $12.99-$14.99 and a PS+ discount. I might agree if I didn’t buy the entire PC version two years ago. I don’t think anyone thought it was a budget title, but it is a remake/port.

Gamer_USA- said:

September 23rd, 3:46 pm

I have no problem with the price(although this is the highest I will go). I have a feeling there us a lot more than $20 worth of gameplay there. Purchased!

I wish there were no multiplayer trophies though…grrr

September 24th, 12:50 am

Thanks very much for the support dude. Sorry about the Multiplayer Trophies ;-), of course we have to try and spread em out to appease everyone, but I promise they are achievable and have been simplified a few times over development to ease testing, and ensure you guys aren’t ripping your hair out to Platinum the game ;-).

baconcow1812 said:

September 23rd, 4:04 pm

I thought all of the PC content was included (Red expansion). Dang.

Slaysme said:

September 23rd, 7:36 pm

the game seems great! worth the 20, you can suck a frozen juice bar if you want to complain about price. This has come a long way from squares.

Rezolution77 said:

September 24th, 6:23 am

Well, 16 and counting.
Pretty sure if it was reasonable, it could have sold as many as Mega Man X4.
Little skeptical at a 5.0 rating though, but time will tell.

Going to wait for a review, if anyone has a decent one.

Its not that I feel some serious work was not poured into it, that is if proceeds went to the actual “developer” -all of them.
But chances are you just a spokesperson from Sony trying to boost your sales count.

and if you don’t like it@28 Slaysme , take care of your own popsicle.

Better yet, make your activity public and prove you even bought it.

Rezolution77 said:

September 24th, 6:36 am

I mean you were posting it came out later, and had to reedit the posts on the day of release to show you had no idea it was released on its scheduled date.
Just seems odd is all.

Consumers have the right to complain, if you want business, its good to listen to some of them.

I am not the only buyer, I do not think it’s just about me, not when there are many like me or its just good business sense.

As for you lapdogs looking for scraps……..

AbsurdKnight said:

September 24th, 7:01 am

This game looks awesome, but I plan on getting the PlayStation TV as soon as that hits. Will this game be compatible with that?

September 24th, 7:47 am

Thanks Knight, yeah it’s compatible with PSTV.

baconcow1812 said:

September 24th, 9:03 am

For those wondering, there are good reviews here (on top of the one provided by Gareth Wright, above):
http://www.gamersftw.co.uk/frozen-synapse-prime-review (by Jamal Khan; 4/5)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_mMoJCsrJo&list=UUl6p_ExDm5uyrzWQBLOZ8mg (MisterPaskill; 4/5)

The Vita Lounge is to be putting out their review later this week (by Paul Murphy, Executive Editor).

Also, the NeoGAF members seem to be happy by the game. Praises include (but are not limited to) controls and multiplayer content. Some have mixed feelings over the new look of the game; I personally prefer the new glass and steel look over the original look. The only things of concern to them are the price and the lack of the Red expansion. Mentions of choppy framerate, but that it does not really affect gameplay (being turn-based).

September 28th, 1:46 pm

Thanks for that Bacon. Much appreciated. I believe the Vita Lounge review is up now, and is very positive.

Rockefellow said:

September 24th, 9:49 am

$20 is definitely asking a lot, but there’s no doubt that you’ll get your money’s worth out of it. Still, that’s above even most “premium” titles on the Vita– the last one to come swinging out the gate at such a price was Starlight Inception, and consumers would do well to be wary of blindly paying for garbage like that.

Good luck with the launch, anyway– word of mouth should help immensely with a title like this, I believe.

September 28th, 1:44 pm

Thanks for the support dude.

jonnyzombieboy said:

September 25th, 7:59 am

I hope someone reads this. I’d been looking forward to getting Frozen Synapse for a long time, and was instantly sold when I heard it was coming to Vita. Based on screenshots and trailers, my FIRST instinct was to hope for an $11.99 or $14.99 price point. $20 SEEMED a bit high but I took the plunge and downloaded it Tuesday…and it is SO worth the cost. This is NOT just a two-hour play-and-delete/forgettable indie title. It’s a huge, fleshed-out, beautiful FUN game. I’m not even a turn-based strategy fan but this is some serious gold. No, nobody’s paying me to write this; it’s just my personal review. Congrats to the team for bringing this awesome title to Vita. Deserves the 9 and two 8’s out of 10 it’s gotten on these posted reviews. :) Gareth – Any chance of doing some DLC to let us toggle between the new/awesome color scheme and the old/darker one? ;)

September 28th, 1:42 pm

Hi Jonny, first a huge thanks for the support and glad that, like many others, you are enjoying FSP.

Regards DLC and your suggestions… we’ve had a lot of interest in a classic color scheme. Honestly we wanted to do one but simply ran out of time. There were two things I really wanted to add, 1 being your suggestion, and 2 being low gaps in walls to crawl/crouch through and chuck low grenades ;-).

DLC will ultimately depend on the popularity of FSP, but rest assured a ‘classic’ theme is something we’d all like to include.

Kid_Loser said:

September 25th, 5:08 pm

DO NOT BUY!
So I decided to buy the game even though I thought the price was very steep. After buying it and playing a bit the AI control is very bad. Your guys won’t shoot when you tell them to shoot, and ruins so many aspects of it. No matter what I switch on or off (yes I really mean making it so my guys are enganged) they seem to not shoot even when I direct them to shoot or make them look in a certain path. It seems so random when they shoot or not, even with enemies right in front of them. The story is a snooze fest. The missions seem just the same after another. I regret spending so much when so much cheaper is out there with so much more. It’s just a copy and past mission after missions after mission. I feel tricked into buying it, but that’s my own fault. Thanks Double Eleven -_-

September 28th, 1:37 pm

Sorry to hear you’ve been having a few problems. Its nothing we’ve ever experienced before. You don’t tell your units to ‘shoot’ persay (with the exception of Rocket units and Grenadiers), you tell them to AIM, CHECK or SWEEP, then if they see an enemy they’ll engage them, if not they won’t shoot.

If your unit looks like he is seeing an enemy but not shooting, maybe you have the CONTINUE ON SIGHT command turn on, which is on the Command Wheel. You’ll know if your unit’s are Continuing on Sight because the path will display as a dotted line.

If you are getting shot before your units are able to fire back, that’s simply a result of the opponent spotting you first, or you are running whilst they are still, giving them an advantage.

If you are still having problems we’d really like to hear about them, as this is of course something we’d have seen and addressed.

rik_GT said:

September 30th, 8:20 am

Hi Gareth

The more I read about the game the more I like it.

As a big Advance Wars fan, has AW been any form of inspiration to you guys?

Thanks