Paragon

Sep 29

zombies

Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare: Legends of the Lawn Out 9/30

Chris Fox's Avatar Posted by on Sep 29, 2014 // Lead Gameplay Designer, Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare

Hello again, everyone! I’m Chris Fox, lead gameplay designer on Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare. I’m back today to tell you a little about our latest free content update — Legends of the Lawn, coming tomorrow to PS4 and PS3.

This massive update includes everything from our Suburbination pack — the update that released prior to our PlayStation launch — as well as another brand new mode, new character variants, customizations, and more. Specifically, you’re looking at 2 new modes, 1 new map, 8 new character variants, 2 new Garden Ops bosses, new spawnable Plants and Zombies, and hundreds of new customization items.

Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare: Legends of the Lawn

Phew. Now that I hopefully have you interested, let’s dig into the details!

The star of this pack is our brand new game mode, Taco Bandits. Crazy Dave set up his taco stand in Zombie territory and naturally, Dr. Zomboss is trying to eat lunch and skip out on the bill. As a Zombie, it’s your job to push through reinforced Plant defenses, grab the taco, and make it back to Dr. Zomboss’ spaceship in one piece. If the Zombies can manage this feat three times in a round, it’s game over for the Plants.

We’re also bringing our Suburbination game mode to PlayStation. In Suburbination, the Plant and Zombie teams are locked in an epic tug-of-war as they fight for tactical control over three hotly contested gardens. In this take on the classic domination-style game mode, its Suburbinate or be Suburbinated!

To complement the new game modes, the Crash Course map is making its PlayStation debut. Set on the prestigious Bogey Hills Golf Course, Crash Course is equal parts idyllic greens and flaming Zomboss wreck. It’s the perfect place to work on your swing, improve your putting skills, and take down the Zombie horde.

Next up, we have 8 brand new character variants. Characters are always our most requested additions, so we’re really excited to show these off:

The Centurion and his stylish new crossbow are up first. Unlike most Soldiers, the Centurion’s weapon is a single shot, semi-automatic. It’s quick, extremely accurate, and inflicts fire damage that burns over time.

Meet the Sanitation Expert. His trash compactor launches explosive garbage bags that inflict toxic damage to any Plant caught in the blast radius. Just don’t call him a Garbage Man.

In addition to rocking a seriously stylish dinosaur suit, the Paleontologist comes equipped with a molten magma blaster that applies fire damage at both short and long-ranges.

Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare: Legends of the Lawn

With his increased zoom and super-accurate aiming, the Golf Star is as close to a sniper as the All-Star class can get. His Golf Cannon also features the fastest rate of fire in the game.

On the Plant side, the Plasma Pea Shooter makes his first appearance on PlayStation. Winner of our Facebook design contest: the Plasma Pea Shooter can shoot rapid-fire plasma balls, super-explosive galaxies, and more!

The Alien Flower is a bit of a departure from your standard Sunflower. Her projectiles explode on impact, creating a temporary spore mist that rapidly damages any Zombies unlucky enough to walk through it.

The Chomp Thing is all about survivability. His health regeneration kicks in twice as fast as any other character, so if you’re planning on taking him on, you’d better make sure you can finish the job.

Last but not least is the Jade Cactus. She’s heavily armored, featuring the highest health out of any Cactus. Her weapon deals explosive damage on direct hits, while misses stick in the environment, build up in power, and then explode.

That’s just a small sampling of the crazy new stuff we’ll be offering in Legends of the Lawn. We’ve got brand-new themed customization sets, new spawnable AI characters like the Laser Bean and the Yeti Imp, new co-op special waves, improvements to the party experience on PlayStation, and more. This is undoubtedly our most jam-packed update ever.

Thanks again for your time.

49 Comments

+ the_caribbean_dx on September 29th, 2014 at 6:06 am said:

COOL!!

+ Cow8Duck on September 29th, 2014 at 6:34 am said:

Sounds awesome can’t wait.

+ PsychoMtl on September 29th, 2014 at 7:28 am said:

wow looks pretty awesome, can’t wait!

+ InvaderZee on September 29th, 2014 at 7:38 am said:

Those poster are amazing!

+ chavez1138 on September 29th, 2014 at 7:40 am said:

Maybe I’m the only one but I like this game way more than Destiny.
I don’t know if I miss the date or what, when is this DLC coming out?

+ jhernandez360 on September 29th, 2014 at 7:49 am said:

New trophies?

+ IronMarmot on September 29th, 2014 at 7:51 am said:

My boys and I play this game more than any other game. Glad to see more content coming. Love it!

+ SeanStrange on September 29th, 2014 at 8:00 am said:

Nice to know. I have a sealed copy looking at me, waiting to be played. I’ll be sure to get on that.

+ Azul_Aries on September 29th, 2014 at 8:10 am said:

Was probably going to trade this in.. not now! haha

+ GloriousOwnage on September 29th, 2014 at 8:11 am said:

This has been my favorite game of the year. It’s so much fun to play it looks amazing and at $40 it’s the best value on the console in my opinion. Love the free content. I hope the devs are pleased with the sales and feedback so we can see more plants versus zombies in the future!

+ ChAmBa_HCMDER on September 29th, 2014 at 8:13 am said:

You guys are not from my RIN!!!!

+ pithollow on September 29th, 2014 at 8:15 am said:

*Bane’s voice* Let the taco wars begin!

Only machos can play this mode LOL. Thank you guys for the awesome game and update. You rock!

+ Dahorsh on September 29th, 2014 at 8:37 am said:

Uh…Am I the only one to wanna desperately know what that BOSS MODE thing was at the bottom of the screen when selecting characters?

+ Damascus111usa on September 29th, 2014 at 8:51 am said:

The update is out tomorrow! Can’t wait to play it.

+ EmanuelFN on September 29th, 2014 at 9:07 am said:

Oh yeahhhhhhhh!!!!

+ Gmafz7 on September 29th, 2014 at 9:12 am said:

I hope one day, not too far away we will get this game on the PS Plus lineup!! It will make my year!

+ HeadcoldCamper on September 29th, 2014 at 9:46 am said:

Thanks! It’s amazing that all this content is free; however one thing is still missing. A Party System. I bought 4 copies of this game to play with my brothers and wife, and it is almost impossible to get into the same game or same team. We have since stopped playing; which makes me sad cause it was so damn fun. Would love to try out all the new content but sadly will not return till I can play with my family / friends.

+ Silver_shion on September 29th, 2014 at 9:52 am said:

ohhhhhhh, Taco Bell taco bell product placement with taco bell , Enchirito (8)

+ dydazzy on September 29th, 2014 at 9:56 am said:

Please bring this to PS Vita.

+ gaygantisch on September 29th, 2014 at 10:13 am said:

Looks pretty cool. I’m looking forward to it :)

+ Kinokee on September 29th, 2014 at 10:39 am said:

Does this come with new trophies too?

+ rube203 on September 29th, 2014 at 11:17 am said:

Any chance of getting some more split-screen modes? Options?

+ Earl388 on September 29th, 2014 at 11:27 am said:

New trophies please?!?

+ AlphasC88 on September 29th, 2014 at 11:42 am said:

looking forward to this :)

+ nextleveltaken on September 29th, 2014 at 12:00 pm said:

While I love the game, the servers/online always connection is a pain in the butt. First couple of weeks, I had trouble finding anyone to play Garden Ops mode with (servers have been fixed, but still get kicked out of games every so often). Last night, I couldn’t even connect to EA’s servers, rendering the game unplayable. Wish there was a single-player or story mode, which would help a situation like that.

+ splashmanjv on September 29th, 2014 at 12:32 pm said:

Probably one of the biggest updates yet to come! New maps, Gamemodes and a large selection of Customization items and characters too! PvZ: GW Is surely planting the seeds of this fine garden and getting what we had wanted. Cannot wait for it to release so me and my good friend can get our hands on the new stuff!

+ RulitoCR on September 29th, 2014 at 12:43 pm said:

Hey nice update!! This game is awesome! Thanks for the support to the game!! (free DLC!!!!! )

+ Radigga on September 29th, 2014 at 1:02 pm said:

The amount of free content this game delivers is staggering and I only wish more developers would follow this trend. I will always buy games day 1 when a dev does this with their titles.

+ Darth_NODlike on September 29th, 2014 at 1:08 pm said:

Massive update! I am looking forward to this for sure. The game is awesome, both in visuals and in game play. Keep up the great work!

+ plaztiksyke on September 29th, 2014 at 2:06 pm said:

It’s great to see post-release support like this!

I tried to play Garden Warfare again last night, and I still have no idea what’s going on in the game. The in-game “manual” makes huge leaps about the starting point for the player is, so it’s mostly without context. I started a game, where it kept heavily pushing multi-player (which I didn’t want), and then I got dropped in with no tutorial or help text whatsoever. I’ve been gaming for 30 years, and I’ve been able to make sense out of most games before this point..

+ Sneeches on September 29th, 2014 at 2:43 pm said:

Free content for an already awesome game, HELL YEAH

+ supvic on September 29th, 2014 at 2:57 pm said:

@chavez1138 me too, I sold Destiny as it was so dull and repetitive and bought this instead, I was incredibly surprised at how much more FUN this game is. It had almost no hype compared to Destiny yet turned out to be the best game I’ve played this year!

Thank you for the MASSIVE free update, I never expected anything like this! This will definitely keep me playing for months! Free DLC keeps the community together.

+ tusunami on September 29th, 2014 at 3:55 pm said:

Wow this is just simply amazing this just keeps getting better all the time. Hopefully I will have time to play this been having a blast in Destiny though.

+ magicfan345 on September 29th, 2014 at 4:16 pm said:

Please Please Please bring Plants vs Zombies 2 : Its About Time to the PS3 and the PS Vita. There are many of us who enjoy single-player tower-defense action and will buy that right up. Thanks in advance!

+ Cowboymail on September 29th, 2014 at 6:30 pm said:

Can’t wait :)

+ Zomzan2002 on September 29th, 2014 at 6:47 pm said:

Will there be more Split Screen gameodes?

+ xXImmarta1OneXx on September 29th, 2014 at 7:10 pm said:

Awesome can’t wait for tomorrow

+ Macho_Mustachio on September 29th, 2014 at 8:15 pm said:

Awesome! loving all the free content! this game is an absolute blast to play!

+ jhernandez360 on September 30th, 2014 at 6:04 am said:

Could you add more trophies ,more split screen modes ?

+ CAPTAlNAMERlCA- on September 30th, 2014 at 6:18 am said:

I freakin’ love this game! That new chomper looks sick! (Would have gotten even more money from me if my kids could play this on their Wii U) :)

+ alphagoku1 on September 30th, 2014 at 7:00 am said:

am i the only one still concerned about the suburbination dlc not coming out and no info on it?

+ alphagoku1 on September 30th, 2014 at 7:04 am said:

nevermind, just checked the post lol, i thought it was left out, sorry guys

+ RjK311jR on September 30th, 2014 at 11:40 am said:

I have this on X1 and i have all the Sony consoles too! But this game is so fun! Im 32 and got it for my nephew and we play it so much!!! What a great change of pace, back to basics fun, any one can play shooter!!! Its truly amazing!!! oh and to top it off! POP CAP has been supporting this game a lot with characters, maps, game modes!!! So far DLC has been free!! Only recently did they add micro transactions but its to upgrade faster… To me they have set winnings and in game currency pretty good too… It doesnt take long to add up enough in game currency to buy things some would buy with real money… so again micro transactions are not needed or necessary at all!!! They have managed to do DLC, post-launch support, and micro-transactions/round winnings (currency) all right!!!! I HOPE THIS IS A MODEL FOR FUTURE GAMES FROM ALL DEVELOPERS!!! Micro transactions should only be reserved for upgrading characters faster… such as this game!!! THIS IS A MUST OWN!! IF you dont have it! Get It!!

+ kikoousa on September 30th, 2014 at 12:35 pm said:

Hey there,

I totally like the game, and it was a gift to my GF who is playing her first FPS online. But as mentioned a few times here, it would be really delightful to have new game modes and the possibility to play the Zombies in Split Screen as it feels (and I’m not saying it’s the case, it’s really a feeling) like it’s been added at the last minute and is a bit incomplete.

Otherwise the game is great, is a fantastic introduction to online gaming and the free DLCs are simply superb. We would love to enjoy it on the long term, and tweaking the splitscreen mode would be a perfect addition.

+ Macello on September 30th, 2014 at 5:38 pm said:

When do the new trophies go live? The update has been out for a while.

+ lintlin on September 30th, 2014 at 5:38 pm said:

Maybe the most fun I’ve ever had playing a video game. And guys, thanks for liking and respecting your players/consumers – the DLC, the leveling up, the new characters, new gear – it’s the best. Nothing is lacking.

+ TheMoutionPL on October 1st, 2014 at 7:31 am said:

Please add split screen :(

+ IronMarmot on October 1st, 2014 at 7:35 am said:

Had to post again after getting a chance to download the update and play the new modes. As much as I love the Suburbination modes, Taco Bandits is my new favorite! Fast past, concentrated mayhem! This game just gets better and better.

I have a few of the new characters and they are well done, without being overpowered. My personal favorite is the Alien Flower. It plays like a peashooter with heals. Beast.

As another poster mentioned earlier, this game has free DLC updates and have handled micro transactions and in game currency from winning, perfectly.

If you haven’t picked up this game yet, do it!

+ leonclarko on October 10th, 2014 at 7:19 am said:

Amazing update! But I have problems with disconettions. Also, I had a disconection just while open a booster pack, and I lost the content of that booster even if in the “last opened booster” screen appears those items! Help!