The Last Guardian

Sep 30

sg1

Skullgirls Encore: Eliza, PSN Avatars Out Today

Peter Bartholow's Avatar Posted by on Sep 30, 2014 // CEO, Lab Zero Games

It’s been a few months since we released our second Indiegogo-funded DLC character, Big Band. I’m happy to announce that Eliza, our third character, will be released today in Skullgirls Encore.

Eliza is a diva with a dark secret, and our most ambitious character to date. Eliza fights by manipulating her own blood to attack her enemies, constantly shape-shifting into a variety of Egyptian mythological symbols and cultural icons. Our creative director, Alex Ahad, has meticulously researched Egypt’s lore and packed nearly every one of Eliza’s 1,548 frames with references.

Eliza can also summon her bodyguards, Albus and Horace, as well as dislodge her skeletal Parasite, Sekhmet, making her one of our most varied and dynamic characters to date.

SkullgirlsSkullgirls

Eliza’s story mode is our most comprehensive yet. With more than 80 pieces of art, it dives deep into Skullgirls’ lore and reveals a lot of the inner workings of the Skullgirls universe. Definitely not to be missed!

And finally, as we always do with our DLC characters, Eliza will be completely free for a period of 3 months! Download her during that time and you’ll never pay a cent.

Beowulf Update

Beowulf, our argyle sweater-wearing pro wrestler inspired by the epic poem of the same name, is coming along nicely.

Skullgirls

Beowulf will feature a ton of pro wrestling references, and also be able to use his signature folding chair, The Hurting, in a variety of ways. He can hurl it at his opponent and stand it up on the stage, with the goal that performing slam moves onto it will increase their damage.

Similar to Ms. Fortune, Beowulf will also have different attacks depending on whether or not he has his chair with him. And, finally, Beowulf will be able to power himself up by exciting the crowd. Respect the ring!

Skullgirls Avatars

A lot of you have been asking for Skullgirls PSN avatars, and we’re happy to announce that 10 will be released today!

For only 49 cents, you can show everyone who you favorite Skullgirls character is!

Skullgirls

We’ll release another 10 avatars next month, featuring the rest of the Indiegogo DLC cast, as well as a number of popular supporting characters. Keep an eye out for them!

PS4/Vita Update

Skullgirls is still coming to PS4 and PS Vita, but we’ve expanded the scope of the port and are adding new features with the aim of making it a better upgrade for fans and a better value for everyone.

Unfortunately, these awesome new additions have necessitated a delay until early 2015, but I’m confident that everyone will find the additions worthwhile.

And thus concludes our update on all things Skullgirls. Thanks for reading!

30 Comments   1 Reply

+ joaryche on September 30th, 2014 at 9:06 am said:

looking forward to the new free character DLC…thanks

+ djsaiyan on September 30th, 2014 at 9:11 am said:

Man, I had forgotten there were more characters coming. Woohoo! =D

But…wait….

Tomorrow like Wednesday, or was this written on Monday and it’ll go up with the store update?

Peter Bartholow's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on September 30th, 2014 at 1:32 pm said:

Hi all, apologies for the confusion. Eliza is out today, we are updating the blog post! Thanks for your patience.

+ FifthDream on September 30th, 2014 at 9:12 am said:

I love Skullgirls so much. I’m really, really looking forward to it on PS4.

And yay, Eliza! I voted for her. XD

+ V-Angelus01 on September 30th, 2014 at 9:13 am said:

I really hope the game is cross-buy

+ V-Angelus01 on September 30th, 2014 at 9:13 am said:

I really hope the game is a three way cross-buy

+ Rezolution77 on September 30th, 2014 at 9:14 am said:

Downloaded, and deleted after a few minutes.
May have been good, maybe not. So many fighting games I bought before going free on Plus and may have lost interest.

Had it been on Vita, I may have played it more.

But with kids and Mincraft, and the wife and Netflix, my PS3 is hardly used.

+ JumpMan33 on September 30th, 2014 at 9:19 am said:

Cool, i’m excited to see the new additions to the vita/ps4 version.

Any update on being able to use PS3 arcade sticks on PS4?
I always thought the PS3 used a generic drivers for its USB controllers or something.

+ killuchun on September 30th, 2014 at 9:21 am said:

My BF love this game! We have so much fun with the game! I got this game from IGC but I would definitely get this for Vita! Thanks for the free new fighter :)

+ kai157 on September 30th, 2014 at 9:32 am said:

I’m So ready to play this game on ps4 this is one of the few reasons I still use my PS3 and I’m not really a fighting game fan skullgirls is just so much fun

+ Sonicfan11589 on September 30th, 2014 at 9:44 am said:

I’ll admit I played it once, but i did enjoyed it. I will definitely get the PS4/Vita version.

+ BlueBl1zzard on September 30th, 2014 at 9:47 am said:

Can’t wait for that Vita version! Cross buy or not, you have a guaranteed purchase from me!

+ DOC_INCOGNITO on September 30th, 2014 at 9:52 am said:

Thanks! looking forward to trying her out.

Also anticipating the Vita release!

+ ManicJest on September 30th, 2014 at 10:39 am said:

I’d love to buy this retail for Vita! Think that could be an option? Maybe a small limited run at least?

+ AeroZeplliin669 on September 30th, 2014 at 10:41 am said:

Will the avatars be releasing today as well ?

+ RE_Player on September 30th, 2014 at 10:48 am said:

Looking forward to the upcoming Vita version.

+ MakoSoul on September 30th, 2014 at 10:54 am said:

I’m still looking forward to the PS4 version, but don’t forget that Mortal Kombat X comes out April 2015. That would be a bad month to release the PS4/Vita versions.

+ antibolo on September 30th, 2014 at 11:06 am said:

Same day as P4AU? That’s a really unfortunate timing.

+ Welmosca on September 30th, 2014 at 11:18 am said:

Wow nice and finally you guys released Eliza…since Encore was released,I’ve been looking forward to try her out…..she always seemed like the coolest of all the DLC characters,plus her combos are awesome.

PS:Looking forward to see Skullgirls in action on the Vita.

+ Tosix4lif3 on September 30th, 2014 at 11:23 am said:

@djsaiyan She is going to be released when the store updates today.

+ Tosix4lif3 on September 30th, 2014 at 11:26 am said:

@ AeroZeplliin669, yes they do

+ Mojlnir on September 30th, 2014 at 11:28 am said:

I really hope Vita delay means crossplay, that would mean day 1 for me, otherwise I think I’ll pass, I have a bucketload of Vita fighters that aren’t playable since they online is dead, I won’t make the same error again.

+ alphagoku1 on September 30th, 2014 at 1:43 pm said:

uuugggghhhh, i was just thinking about this, and now we have to wait until “early” 2015? whats with EVERYONE having delays out the wazoo? theres new ips that get out faster than these up ports, its saddening to say the least

+ Ind3structoman on September 30th, 2014 at 2:04 pm said:

Love the avatars! More PS4 titles need avatars!

+ TJF588 on September 30th, 2014 at 2:19 pm said:

All I need know regarding avatars is: Will the full set of twenty be bundled? I can wait patiently if it means nabbing them all in one transaction.

As for the fighters themselves, Eliza came at me outta nowhere. Guess that’s what I get for falling off the Endless Beta announcements, what with new jobbin’s. I oughta blast through her and BB’s storylines soon-like.

+ ElectrikalChaoz on September 30th, 2014 at 6:03 pm said:

Looking forward to the Vita release!

+ BalmungTaichou on September 30th, 2014 at 6:41 pm said:

Do you not find it weird that there is not one Fighter for PS4 yet?

+ BlueBl1zzard on September 30th, 2014 at 9:18 pm said:

@BalmungTaichou Don’t forget Injustice: Gods Among Us exists.

@Peter Bartholow Thanks for the avatars! I got my three favorites: Cerebella, Peacock, and…..you can guess the last one ;)

+ Phoenix9889 on September 30th, 2014 at 10:53 pm said:

@26 Only one that comes to mind is Injustice and Guilty Gear (soon to be released)

I gotta say Eliza is gorgeous.

+ Devastater75 on October 1st, 2014 at 6:38 am said:

I might actually get the PS4 version of this!

+ AceandLeonitix on October 19th, 2014 at 9:44 pm said:

Going to download Filia as my avatar. :)