Uncharted 4

Oct 09

oneuponlight

One Upon Light Announced for PS4

Chuah Chong Yunn's Avatar Posted by on Oct 09, 2014 // Lead Programmer, SUTD Game Lab

Hello everyone! I’m Yunn, the Lead Programmer of One Upon Light. For the past two years, our little team at SUTD Game Lab has been lovingly toiling away to bring this game to you. We are very pleased that we will soon be able to release our game on PS4!

One Upon Light on PS4

One Upon Light tells the story of an individual’s journey through what appears to be a large abandoned science facility. You control the protagonist – a scientist – as he makes his way through the labyrinth of chambers and malfunctioning science equipment. He soon finds out that he is extremely averse to light: exposure to illumination results in excruciating pain, followed shortly by death. Through the course of the game, you will uncover the mysteries behind the facility’s current state. At the same time, the scientist will learn more about his extraordinary condition — and perhaps even himself.

The goal of every level is very simple: you need to move the scientist from one end of the map to the other. However, getting to the end of every level isn’t quite straightforward, because you need to be aware of that which harms him: light.

One Upon Light on PS4One Upon Light on PS4

Navigate rooms and corridors while avoiding lights, making use of objects to create shadows that form a safe path. Levels get harder and more complex as you progress through the game; you will soon find that not only do you have to figure out the solution; you also need to have the dexterity to time your actions perfectly! The greater the challenge, the sweeter the sense of satisfaction – that’s what we want our players to experience.

Fear not, we do provide help to the scientist in the form of the trusty Shadow Echo device. You can get a look at it in action in this video.

One Upon Light on PS4

One question we get asked a lot is “Why One Upon Light? What’s up with the name?” Well, I’ll be glad to explain this one. First, some history: did you know the game used to be called Dying Light? It was perfect, because light is fatal to the protagonist. Alas, someone else beat us to that name. We decided to reference light (danger, harmful), and darkness (sanctuary, safe) in our new name. And One Upon Light actually does, in fact, refer to both elements in its own way. Consider the mathematical equation:

LIGHT

This notation can be read as “1 upon LIGHT”, which also means LIGHT-1, or the inverse of LIGHT. The inverse of light, is none other than… darkness.

We are a lab embedded within the Singapore University of Technology and Design called SUTD Game Lab.We’ve had our share of ups and downs during the journey of creating One Upon Light, and today it fills us with pride to finally see our baby grow up. I’m sure our fellow indie developers will be able to appreciate this sentiment!

We aim to place this game in fans’ hands by early 2015. Meanwhile, feel free to leave us comments on this blog post. Thanks for reading!

15 Comments   1 Reply

+ BrianMcGuinness on October 9th, 2014 at 7:13 am said:

Right up my alley. Looks fun.

Chuah Chong Yunn's Avatar

+ Chuah Chong Yunn on October 13th, 2014 at 10:23 pm said:

Hey there!

Thank you so much for your interest! Hiding from burning rays of light is definitely fun!

+ HebrewHammer on October 9th, 2014 at 7:25 am said:

Another unique looking indie! Can’t get enough of these – keep ’em coming!

+ maxcoronel2014 on October 9th, 2014 at 7:32 am said:

Looking good!

+ AwRy108 on October 9th, 2014 at 7:36 am said:

Looks great, but needs to be on Vita, too.

+ densetsu_desu85 on October 9th, 2014 at 8:06 am said:

Looks amazing, are you considering a vita version?

+ Blacq_Soul on October 9th, 2014 at 12:23 pm said:

I really like this concept. I’ll be keeping my eye on it. a vita port would be nice as I’d prefer this game to go (:

+ Rezolution77 on October 9th, 2014 at 12:41 pm said:

Very Cool.
Normally I prefer Light over Darkness, but the game design looks fun.

Reminds me of a few others, sound effects included.

+1 for Vita, as it will be the only one I would buy for, though with a sale, who knows.

+ yowzagabowza on October 9th, 2014 at 12:41 pm said:

If you have to explain the name to everyone, maybe it wasnt such a good idea?

I hope there’s more to do than just push boxes and stuff. Really tired of indy teams with neat concepts, but no execution.
Ah, who am i kidding? Im not buying this either way. Im sure it will be $15-20,too.

+ N_8_ on October 9th, 2014 at 1:25 pm said:

Add me as another who’d like a vita / ps tv port.

+ Print_Dog on October 9th, 2014 at 1:25 pm said:

Love the idea behind the name. Looks promising. Will keep it on my radar.

+ oo7PorscheMGS on October 9th, 2014 at 1:57 pm said:

Cool idea for a game but also a cool name-change too! :) Hope it’s good I love a good story + puzzler in “one” :P

+ plaztiksyke on October 9th, 2014 at 3:20 pm said:

looks great. I love these spatial-pattern puzzle games!

I’m surprised it’s not coming to Vita as well, though, given the seemingly simple art/models/lighting. Is it just that there’s not enough time to optimize for a smaller memory footprint? I know that’s why some devs have skipped PS3.

+ siriusbee on October 10th, 2014 at 9:41 pm said:

Sounds like a cool idea. Looking forward to seeing more.

+ DelicaGunz on October 24th, 2014 at 4:49 pm said:

I will definitely get this

+ DelicaGunz on October 24th, 2014 at 4:54 pm said:

#8

explaining the title was actually a good idea. We may have assumed it meant something else. Not everyone sees things equally.