Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Nov 06

terraria

Terraria Comes to PS4 Tuesday: Bigger World, New Items, Cross-Play

Richard Gittins's Avatar Posted by on Nov 06, 2014 // Senior Brand Manager, 505 Games

It’s hugely exciting to be bringing the world of Terraria to PS4. We didn’t feel it was necessary to tinker with the core mechanics of the game, which have underpinned its success to date, but we’ve definitely been able to take this console version to the next level and implement some fantastic new features in the process – It looks amazing running in HD on PS4 too!

Terraria on PS4

The first thing to talk about is the scale of the PS4 version, which is almost triple the size of the original PS3 game. A truly huge amount of content and features have been added, with well over 1,000 new items including 10 new ores, 4 new wood types, 31 new brick types, 12 new wing types, 29 new tinker combinations, 50 new paintings, 8 new friendly NPCs, 15 new pets, over 100 new enemies, 4 new bosses … the list goes on, and on!

Terraria on PS4

We’ve also listened to feedback from the community and looked at how people play the original console games to figure out where slight improvements might be made. We wanted to address the immense scale of Terraria’s world, which can actually be a blessing and a curse! Now players will be able to ‘pinch’ to zoom in and out on DualShock 4’s touch pad, which is really simple and intuitive but makes a huge and immediate difference when playing the game.

We’re also working hard on a World Map companion app for mobile and tablet devices, which you’ll be able to download for free to see where you are in the PS4 game in real-time, and work out what kind of interesting (or scary!) stuff is all around you.

Terraria on PS4

Finally, we’re thrilled that PS4 players will be able to cross-play with the PS3 and PS Vita versions of the game, whether you want to transfer your save games or enjoy cross-platform multiplayer; joining up to fight bosses together, building added-awesome castles, or duelling each other in PvP combat! To celebrate this feature and the launch of Terraria on PS4 we’re even bundling the PS Vita version for a limited time, so you’ll get the Vita version for free when you buy the game on PS4!

Terraria on PS4

The PS4 version of Terraria really is the ultimate console version of the game that’s beloved by millions of Terrarians already – we hope you love it too!

80 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ Tuppery_Numnak on November 6th, 2014 at 9:06 am said:

Is the physical release still December 2nd? Amazon and Gamestop both say December 2nd.

+ mtk93 on November 6th, 2014 at 9:07 am said:

I guess I’ll be the one to ask it: If we’ve already purchased the Vita and PS3 versions, will cross-buy for the PS4 versioin be an option? Or at least will there be some sort of discount?

+ coheed1992 on November 6th, 2014 at 9:08 am said:

Looks great! You said it will be bundled with the Vita version, but if I already have the Vita version will I get the PS4 version?

+ Gorvi on November 6th, 2014 at 9:08 am said:

Same question as mtk93. I actually own the game on the PS3, Vita, and PC, but I’d love to have the option to play it on the PS4. Any chance for cross buy or at least a discount?

+ mtk93 on November 6th, 2014 at 9:08 am said:

And will you be making the PS Vita version compatible with PSTV anytime soon?

+ mtk93 on November 6th, 2014 at 9:09 am said:

I ask these questions because my 9-year-old son loves this game, even more than Minecraft now. That’s a huge compliment to you guys for producing such a great game.

+ Helix_Hawk on November 6th, 2014 at 9:10 am said:

So, since it will be cross-platform, will PS3 be getting the new content as well?

+ tylerh1701 on November 6th, 2014 at 9:20 am said:

New set of trophies to earn? Or will the list be shared with the PS3/Vita list?

+ Derangeable on November 6th, 2014 at 9:22 am said:

Why would anyone want Terraria when Minecraft exists? I own Terraria on disc on the 360, I played it for only half a day because the controls were so bad.

+ AmericanNinja1 on November 6th, 2014 at 9:31 am said:

How much?

+ kmtburton on November 6th, 2014 at 9:36 am said:

Already paid $35 towards this game on Vita PS3 and PC really wish there would be a discount on the PS4 version or better yet cross buy. I’ve played a couple hundred hours of it and would play more but not if I have to buy it again at full price.

+ Figboy on November 6th, 2014 at 9:37 am said:

This is great news. I own this game on PC, PS3, and Vita, and will now have it on PS4 as well! Me and my wife are addicted to this game!

+ GordTremeshko on November 6th, 2014 at 9:40 am said:

Already own this on a couple of platforms, but will be buying this. I dont really care about re-buying, I’m just happy I get to play it on my PS4. The same with The Wolf Among Us.

+ Cotrip on November 6th, 2014 at 9:48 am said:

I’d like to know about the trophy set as well. Loved playing on the PS3, might double dip on the PS4. :)

+ lisatsunami on November 6th, 2014 at 9:51 am said:

I put a boatload of time into the first PS3 version. I only had 1 world, never figured out where the other worlds were but digging up almost every bit of 1 world was a huge time sink. I have the Vita version already, cross save does work.

Been many months since I stopped playing. Might buy this for PS4 since you said there is save transfer.

+ Remmy8199 on November 6th, 2014 at 9:57 am said:

Yay. More games I already own.

+ spacemanandrew on November 6th, 2014 at 10:10 am said:

wait what exactly is being added to the ps3 version, cause all this stuff just sounds like the 1.2 update ps3 already got several months ago

+ iTzDaBacon on November 6th, 2014 at 10:11 am said:

I bought both the PS3 version and the PS Vita version. I hope there is a discount or something cause I really want it for the PS4 but that would mean another $15 and that’s already $45 for the same 15 dollar game.

Please, let us know.

+ mgrantz on November 6th, 2014 at 10:20 am said:

I really enjoyed playing this on Vita, but with so many other games in my queue I will likely pass unless this has a new trophy set. I see on psnprofiles.com that the trophy set is listed as shared with PS3/Vita. If that’s accurate, I’ll likely pass unfortunately.

+ secularsage on November 6th, 2014 at 10:33 am said:

Bigger isn’t always better, but in the case of Terraria, it’s a nice option to have. It’s a game you can put some SERIOUS time into.

The controls have improved greatly since the 360 version. I think the PSVita version’s controls are near-perfect now. (PS3, less so, but they’re better.)

The PS4 will work well with the touchpad controls, I’m sure, or allow you to use the Vita as a controller.

+ cortiz2092000 on November 6th, 2014 at 10:46 am said:

Will terraria be compatible with the pstv anytime soon?

+ tracebustin on November 6th, 2014 at 10:59 am said:

Maybe if the question is asked enough, someone will answer it:

I’ve already purchased both the PS3 game and the Vita game – will I be able to download this without paying for a another copy?

+ Anddo on November 6th, 2014 at 11:05 am said:

I already purchased the Vita and PS3 versions. Some kind of discount would be nice.

+ Thirty3Three on November 6th, 2014 at 11:10 am said:

Not getting unless it’s crossbuy for at least a week. I’ve already bought it on the PS3, PSVita, PS3, Android, PC, etc. I think I speak for many here when I say, I’m not paying for another copy unless it’s severely discounted, at VERY least.

+ Tuppery_Numnak on November 6th, 2014 at 11:24 am said:

Don’t expect replies from 505. They are notorious for not replying on any social outlet.

+ sMoKiN_dEm_TrEeS on November 6th, 2014 at 11:37 am said:

Any word on how much it will cost?

+ Betogalado on November 6th, 2014 at 11:48 am said:

Ok, you guys should give this game to Vita and PS3 version owners.
We’ve already paid for both versions. =)

+ Motherboop on November 6th, 2014 at 1:39 pm said:

The trophy set will be shared with PS3 and Vita. I noticed over the summer that the trophy set was updated on my trophy card to reflect all three platforms.

+ Trendy_Kid on November 6th, 2014 at 1:49 pm said:

I’m not buying the game a third time. If it’s not cross-buy, I’m not interested.

+ jonjon0890 on November 6th, 2014 at 2:45 pm said:

@26
Expect it to be $14.99.

+ XeahuleXolic on November 6th, 2014 at 2:51 pm said:

I love this game and tossing it on the PS4 makes me very happy, I like everyone else have a few question about it. Like if I already own it on the Vita do I get the PS4 version for free?? If not than how much??

+ ABNJ on November 6th, 2014 at 5:12 pm said:

I own it on PS3, and git the Vita version from Plus. It’ll be complete BS if that doesn’t get me this version as well.

+ guitarded77 on November 6th, 2014 at 7:41 pm said:

NOOOO!!!! That game stole too much of my life on Vita… I’m not getting hooked again. It craps all over Minecraft IMO.

+ PrinceofXIII on November 6th, 2014 at 8:28 pm said:

Will PS4 have the same update version as the PC?? What about other versions? Are Vita and PS3 on the latest one as well?

+ moecage on November 6th, 2014 at 8:30 pm said:

Great work guys. Really love the game can’t wait to play it. Is it the latest version or will there be updates to bring it up to the PC version ?

+ BaTsuMaRu_kun on November 6th, 2014 at 8:32 pm said:

This will take months before getting into Asia PSN. Sony’s long forgotten region.

+ zlovkvetinaci on November 7th, 2014 at 2:03 am said:

So no update or at least some new content for PS3 or Vita? I am very dissapointed.

+ SomaXD on November 7th, 2014 at 2:26 am said:

Wow… This is really crappy of you guys… First: no cross-buy? great, so i need to pay for it again for my PS4 that sucks… at least it will have its own trophy list right?

Nope, Its Shared Trophies with PS3 and Vita versions (you can see it on PS4 now)

So not only will you have to re-purchase it, but it doesnt even get its own list to give people more incentive to re-play the game.

+ iREVOLTER on November 7th, 2014 at 3:22 am said:

No cross buy, thx!

+ JustLu on November 7th, 2014 at 5:41 am said:

If there is no cross-buy then at the very least they should follow mojang’s lead and only charge $5 for the ps4 version if you have previously purchased the game. Anything short of those two options and they can forget about many picking this one up.

+ iXi_LAWM9STER on November 7th, 2014 at 7:22 am said:

If a game is on ps3 and coming to ps4 as remastered it should be a cross-buy these indie games aren’t much different between the two. I am not paying full price for that game. I own on ps3 and ps vita.

+ alphagoku1 on November 7th, 2014 at 7:49 am said:

are we really going to have to wait until the day of to find out if the crossbuy works both ways or not? if im not mistaken, theres like 10 games coming out within the next two weeks, so dont get confused and think we need this as a time passer, people like the game, and are supporting you guys (myself included of course) the least you all could do is dignify us with a response to a justified and very apparent question.

+ DJBennett1985 on November 7th, 2014 at 9:44 am said:

No cross-buy, no discount, no care. Poor business practice.

+ Crazy-Maisy on November 7th, 2014 at 10:25 am said:

I would LOVE to play this on PS4 but unless there is some kind of translucency setting I can’t allow it in my house for the PS4. The PS3 version “burned: shadowed rows of hearts on the newer plasma screen we have. It has taken a ton of work to finally get rid of that, but it took over a year of Movies and TV and other games via PS4, and no Terraria there anymore. :(

+ bellzemos on November 7th, 2014 at 11:39 am said:

Dear Richard Gittins,
Your co-workers did not add any items to the PS4 version that was not already added to the PS3 and Vita version months ago. You wouldn’t be able to cross-play if they didn’t have the same items.

+ W_T_C_S on November 7th, 2014 at 7:54 pm said:

“The Xbox One and PS4 editions will utilize the same “version” as the current Xbox 360 and PS3 editions. This is commonly referred to as the “1.2” update from earlier this year.

Pricing will differ by country and currency. To get the most accurate price, you will need to check with your local retailer. There is no discount for current owners of the PS3/360 version – however, for a limited time post-launch, we are bundling the PS VITA version in with the PS4 version for anyone purchasing the PS4 version!

New console content is planned for (very!) early next year, and more regularly thereafter. We appreciate and understand the frustrations the community have had with regards to the latency between PC and console updates, so whilst there will always be challenges in bringing that content to the console platforms we’ll be breaking updates down into more ‘bite-sized’ chunks in the future so we can deliver that more quickly from now on!”

Source: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-console-the-next-generation-launch-date-confirmed.4760/

+ enricofg_ on November 8th, 2014 at 4:45 am said:

Someone should email this guy and point out his lies on this post.

+ dsanders787 on November 8th, 2014 at 3:41 pm said:

Will this definitive version of the game be Version 1.2.1 or will it be the PC Version as well Version 1.2.4?

+ Kiro_Uraya on November 8th, 2014 at 4:09 pm said:

My only question is that because I got the PS Plus version, which, if I remember right, gave me both PS3 and PS Vita version. Based on the populus complaining about it not being a cross-buy, people who got the PS Plus versions already won’t get the PS4 version free as well?

+ Kiro_Uraya on November 8th, 2014 at 4:11 pm said:

Wait a second…

“To celebrate this feature and the launch of Terraria on PS4 we’re even bundling the PS Vita version for a limited time, so you’ll get the Vita version for free when you buy the game on PS4!”

So, I DO get the game for free..?

PAGE 1 2