Days Gone

Nov 12

masseffect2

Mass Effect 2, Mirror’s Edge, More Coming To PS Now

masseffect2

Peter Jamshidi's Avatar Posted by on Nov 12, 2014 // Director of Marketing, PlayStation Now

I’m pleased to announce a partnership with EA to bring their games to PlayStation Now, including some of their biggest hits like Mass Effect 2, Mirror’s Edge, and Dead Space 3.

Mass Effect 3 for PS3

Starting December 2nd, you’ll be able to stream the following games from EA through PS Now. Each of these games can be rented for a week for about $1 / day, though you’ll be able to select from a variety of options depending on how long you’d like to rent the game.

• Mirror’s Edge
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Dead Space 3
  • NBA Jam On Fire Edition
  • Bejeweled 3

If you’ve missed out on playing these great games, or just want to revisit favorites, PS Now gives you an easy way to access them. With our streaming technology you can quickly jump into the game right after you rent it — no need to wait for downloads, installs, or patches. And with automatic cloud game saves, you can start playing on one device and continue playing on another.

Since we entered the Open Beta for PS Now back in July, the service has grown quite a bit, as we now support five platforms — PS4, PS3, PS Vita, PS TV, and select Sony TV’s. Gamers have also collectively accrued over 100 years of streamed game time on PS Now.

I’m excited to have EA join the great content library shaping up for PS Now, joining other major game publishers including Konami, Capcom, Square Enix, and Sega, and we’ll continue to add more.

PlayStation Now is in Beta and we are still early on in the life of the service. We continue to listen to your feedback, and don’t forget — we’re also working on a subscription service for PS Now and hope to share details soon.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Asylum3395 on November 12th, 2014 at 11:17 am said:

still don’t like that they want you to rent games that you already own digitally

+ Broskikills on November 12th, 2014 at 11:18 am said:

I really wish they could bring Ferrari Challange or Rockstar’s Midnight Club 3 Dub Remix on PS Now, I would buy it fo’ sho

Peter Jamshidi's Avatar

+ Peter Jamshidi on November 12th, 2014 at 4:02 pm said:

Thanks Broskikills, will pass on the message!

+ MakoSoul on November 12th, 2014 at 11:22 am said:

LOL. Playing Mirror’s Edge with PS Now lag is a ridiculous proposition.

+ Cyrske on November 12th, 2014 at 11:24 am said:

Hey, Sony Computer Entertainment. Good to see the PS Now catalog expanding with some EA titles.

But how about your very own Sony Computer Entertainment-published titles?

I don’t have PS Now, because I’m in EU and I’m only casually interested in PS Now to maybe stream a PS3 game to PS Vita occasionally; it could be great to stream a game like Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time to PS Vita on portable format on the amazing PS Vita.

But I looked up the list of the PS Now catalog and I can’t believe how it lacks so many amazing Sony Computer Entertainment games! How

Peter Jamshidi's Avatar

+ Peter Jamshidi on November 12th, 2014 at 4:07 pm said:

Hi Cryske,

It’s a great question. Recently we published God of War: Ascension, Twisted Metal, and Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus.

Yes, we will definitely have more first party titles coming soon to the service and realize a lot of people may have missed out on the types of amazing experiences you mention that are only available on PlayStation.

Hang tight!.

+ StealthReborn-- on November 12th, 2014 at 11:26 am said:

Back when you first showcased PS Now, you showed off Beyond: Two Souls running via PS Now, is there any plan to release Beyond: Two Souls via this streaming service anytime soon? I always wanted to play that game via this streaming service.

Thanks for any help. :)

+ segundo82 on November 12th, 2014 at 11:26 am said:

Since EA is on board can we get the DA series too please!!!! I really want to replay them but my ps3 doesn’t play discs anymore

Peter Jamshidi's Avatar

+ Peter Jamshidi on November 12th, 2014 at 4:10 pm said:

Great franchise! We will certainly pass the request along!

+ Rezolution77 on November 12th, 2014 at 11:30 am said:

This service is a joke.

You need to spend more time getting on the ball with PS Plus, PS Plus discounts, PS Blog, and updating your hardware.

I can bet almost 100%, I will NEVER use PS Now.

And compared to profits received for backwards compatible games to be available to PS4, it makes me seriously wonder what genius school allowed someone to earn a business/marketing degree with such poor insight on what can sell, will sell, and will not sell.

+ Cyrske on November 12th, 2014 at 11:31 am said:

To continue my reply:

I don’t understand why classics like Shadow of the Colossus HD, Ratchet & Clank series, Uncharted series, God of War, Ico, Jak & Daxter, LittleBigPlanet, Demons’s Souls, Sly Cooper and hidden gems like Puppeteer, MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, Starhawk etc etc are missing, but stuff like “Baseball Stars 2” “Big Sky: Infinity” is on the list of PS Now already.

Why not focus on your very own quality first-party game content first, when you know those are well received games? Not to mention, for people who didn’t own a PS3, but have a PS4 or PS Vita, they would have the chance to play those amazing first-party PS3 games, so it would be valuable for people as well. (30% of current PS4 owners did not have a PS3 apparently, so the PS3 exclusives would be valuable for lots of people)

Otherwise, I wish you good luck with PS Now. More options for consumers to acces content is always good. (it shouldn’t replace traditional local game rendering on console though, just be an extra option)

Peter Jamshidi's Avatar

+ Peter Jamshidi on November 12th, 2014 at 4:17 pm said:

It’s a great question! Per my earlier comment, making our first party PS3 games available is definitely a strong part of the vision of PlayStation Now. We want to make these amazing PlayStation 3 games accessible to more people than ever and on more devices than ever, including on the PS4.

So yes, we definitely have more first party titles lined up for release in the near future. Hold tight!

PS If you haven’t already, check out some of the first party titles already available for PS Now including Infamous 2, Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus, God of War: Ascension, and Twisted Metal.

+ Craydon1 on November 12th, 2014 at 11:32 am said:

Any word on if PS Now will offer a subscription plan? I like the idea behind streaming the ME or DA games, but not for a time locked rental fee. You can buy copies of some of those games for lower than the long term (30 day and up) fees and if you go with a cheaper option (1 week, 1 day, or a few hours) you can barely scratch the surface of some of those epics. I was very excited about what PS Now brought to the plate, but the rental format is dated, sorry.

Peter Jamshidi's Avatar

+ Peter Jamshidi on November 12th, 2014 at 4:21 pm said:

Yes, A subscription plan is being worked on, and I’m very excited about it. We see it adding a complimentary option to rentals as a way to enjoy immediate access to PlayStation 3 games via PlayStation Now. More details coming in the near future!

+ Rezolution77 on November 12th, 2014 at 11:33 am said:

BTW
Any news on when Sacred Citadel will be the price advertised on the PS uodate?

It’s in the sale link, but still hasn’t been changed, and no replies which I have not known to have been ignored this badly.

+ XpAcErX on November 12th, 2014 at 11:35 am said:

I think PS Now is missing a tremendous opportunity by not going after newer last gen games like Assassins Creed Rogue and Liberation, Borderlands The Pre Sequel, and Final Fantasy X/X-II remaster just to name a few. A lot of people traded in their old systems to upgrade its a shame they will have to miss out.

Peter Jamshidi's Avatar

+ Peter Jamshidi on November 12th, 2014 at 4:23 pm said:

Thanks for the feedback, it’s great feedback. Ultimately each publisher decides what titles to offer on PS Now, and we will relay the message!

+ yowzagabowza on November 12th, 2014 at 11:36 am said:

@1 if you own it digitally, just play it on that device. If you dont have that device any more, you dont own the game any more.

I cant use Now since my internet is too slow and i use wi-fi for Ps4. Same with shareplay. Sucks. Not that im interested in Now anyway.

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on November 12th, 2014 at 11:39 am said:

I’m not too thrilled about the way this service has been implemented, especially with all the potential it had. The chances of me over-paying to rent a laggy PS3 game are next to nothing.

I was really hoping that by now Sony would have figured out a way for those of us who have huge libraries of digital games to stream those games using this service without having to pay so much, while also being able to import our old save files.

Instead, thank you for making Bejeweled 3 a priority. I’m sure many of us were waiting impatiently for that one.

+ Bellalara on November 12th, 2014 at 11:40 am said:

Still waiting for a PS Now membership so I can go back the past and play my favorite games on PS3.

Peter Jamshidi's Avatar

+ Peter Jamshidi on November 12th, 2014 at 4:25 pm said:

Working on it!

+ soundandvision77 on November 12th, 2014 at 11:40 am said:

Hi Peter,

I’m interested in trying out PS Now, but I’m not ready to spend money on the service until I can sample it and find out how well it works with my internet connection. Is it possible to include at least 1 game that could be free for even a 1 hour trial period? Or even an existing demo of many of the free PS3 demos that are on the PS Store?

I really think that you must be missing out on people who are well invested in the PlayStation ecosystem that would love to try this service, but are hesitant to spend money on a Beta until we know it works in our home environment. The connection test offered in the beta isn’t proof enough for me. Given the choice of spending $7 or so to try it out, or buy something like a PSN game on sale that I will own, I would go with the PSN game that I know will run well.

I’m not trying to criticize the PS Now service, I think the potential is amazing and just hope there was a better way for skeptics to try it out risk-free.

Thanks!

Peter Jamshidi's Avatar

+ Peter Jamshidi on November 12th, 2014 at 4:31 pm said:

Hi,

It’s great feedback. The connection test is typically a good indicator of how your stream experience will be, but I hear you and we are exploring ways that would let people to try out the service in the future. Stay tuned.

+ CrimsonPaw on November 12th, 2014 at 11:42 am said:

Sweet! Now they just need to announce a better pricing structure or a subscription model. I’m actually very interested in PSNow, but with my gaming / free time availability I would get hosed on rentals.

+ Curtisio on November 12th, 2014 at 11:46 am said:

I’m not impressed because of the pricing. I don’t think this BETA program is fair in forcing your beta testers (your PS Now BETA customers) to pay for it. You should bring out a few (old) games only and make it free during this beta testing.

+ BoingoLives on November 12th, 2014 at 11:50 am said:

I’ve already shelled out once for a lot of these games and I really think it’s a cheek to treat us like we have no existing back catalogue. I love PSPlus but think the idea of paying again for something I already own is a joke.

+ gamer_316 on November 12th, 2014 at 11:53 am said:

How’s that subscription option coming along?

+ Thwip on November 12th, 2014 at 11:53 am said:

+1 to soundandvision77’s comment.

I’m also eager to learn more about the subscription service you noted in the last sentence of your post.

Peter Jamshidi's Avatar

+ Peter Jamshidi on November 12th, 2014 at 4:33 pm said:

We are working on it! More details to come soon.

+ airJordan_Xx on November 12th, 2014 at 11:56 am said:

Will we ever be able to stream games in Dolby digital for sound stero doesn’t sound good

+ Cyrske on November 12th, 2014 at 11:57 am said:

@ 18

That’s a complaint I don’t really understand though. If you bought a PS3 game, then you bought a game licensed for PS3 and that’s it. It is going to remain functional on PS3.

Would also be unfair, because here in EU and other parts of the already we don’t have PS Now. You guys can be glad that you already have that extra option already.

+ issowi on November 12th, 2014 at 12:01 pm said:

when you get that subscription up i’ll start checking out games but until then no thank you.

+ SmokeAdellic on November 12th, 2014 at 12:02 pm said:

Let me play the digital games I purchased on ps3 and I will use your now service.

+ Commando450 on November 12th, 2014 at 12:03 pm said:

NOBODY CARES ABOUT PS NOW

+ Pabloo1010 on November 12th, 2014 at 12:03 pm said:

Waiting on the subscription service before I jump in. Surprised that PS Now actually works though… kind of magical from what I played.

Peter Jamshidi's Avatar

+ Peter Jamshidi on November 12th, 2014 at 4:37 pm said:

I agree! We get a lot of positve feedback that people forget after a few minutes of gameplay that the game is being streamed and not from a console in front of them!

+ KazeEternal on November 12th, 2014 at 12:04 pm said:

This service still exists?

I didn’t have much love for it when I tried it and the rental prices were ridiculous. 1 dollar a day sounds good though to try before I buy, but ultimately I’m going to just wait for a Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster for PS4 and use remote play with it. I have far better luck with remote play than I ever have with PS Now. Playing Mass Effect on PS Now is just not doable.

+ gohan16ken on November 12th, 2014 at 12:06 pm said:

PS Now needs to change. I think it should be like videos. I am given the option to purchase or rent videos. When I purchase videos I can either download it for offline use or stream it online. That is how games should be. I should be able to either download the game like on my ps3 or stream it on my PS TV. And for games that I brought prior to PS now I should just be able to stream them on my ps4, PS vita, PS TV, Sony TV, and PC. I am willing to pay a very small and reasonable monthly fee for this.

+ ArchAngeL-777 on November 12th, 2014 at 12:07 pm said:

So when is this subscription coming or an option to buy these games vs rent? I’ve tried PS Now, and it does work very well. I’m just not willing to continuously rent these games when most of them can be bought for cheap. I still have my PS3, so it’s more of a convenience issue for me. Those rental prices are too high for that.

+ TesseractE on November 12th, 2014 at 12:11 pm said:

Did I miss Mass Effect 1 being released to PS Now? Since the combined trilogy is available, it seems a little weird to only put the second game up and not JUST the first or all three at once.

+ TesseractE on November 12th, 2014 at 12:14 pm said:

Also, which codec does PS Now use to stream the video? Perhaps a newer tech like VP9 or H.265 could be used to bring down the bandwidth usage a bit and improve latency if it’s not already in place.

+ BrianC6234 on November 12th, 2014 at 12:21 pm said:

EA needs to put Black on PS Now. That’s a game I really want to go back and play. More great PS2 games.

+ magooser on November 12th, 2014 at 12:26 pm said:

Can ANYONE answer this for me PLEASE!

Why can’t PS now give you the option to download and stream? At least if it’s in the same console. The same way that those “timed trials” expire on PS Plus after you downloaded them, they could do that with rented games. Just think of how that could solve the whole Lagging issue.

+ HippeusOmega on November 12th, 2014 at 12:29 pm said:

Said it before and will say it again. Would’ve been more practical to release PS4 at $399 and charged another $99-150 for a Emulator app then this PS NOW stuff. I admit the service has great potential and your even fixing some of the pricing and thinking of subscription model. However, its still not worth it with the latency issues. Especially on some games.

+ PSYCHOTOE on November 12th, 2014 at 12:45 pm said:

HOLD IT!!!

This isn’t going to affect the remastered Mass Effect trilogy coming out for PS4 is it.!?!?

Does anyone know?

+ Monterossa on November 12th, 2014 at 12:47 pm said:

I think cloud gaming comes too soon. maybe it will be better in 4-5 years when people have better internet (like 1TB/s) but now it’s not working too well.

+ viceforce on November 12th, 2014 at 12:48 pm said:

No offense but I see little point in this post. We have big games on PS Now from Square Enix, Sucker Punch and Insomniac Dreams. They have no need to announce this unless it’s typical EA throwing there weight around.

+ LeiFangFan85 on November 12th, 2014 at 12:49 pm said:

Any chance we’ll see both Zuma and Zuma’s Revenge on the service? I really need to finish it ASAP. Thanks!:D

+ Xanthus179 on November 12th, 2014 at 12:53 pm said:

I’m excited about the service, but to be honest, have not tried it yet. I’m initially torn about the fact that there are games on there that I already own through PSN on my PS3, so I know that I can simply switch consoles to play them, but as the PS3 grows older, I have to keep in mind that I won’t be able to access them forever. Such is life.

The biggest point that stands out to me is that I would love to try several of the games, but with such a large library, I don’t honestly see myself spending that much time with any individual game. As such, I am very interested in the idea of a subscription-based service similar to how Gamefly operates, just minus the physical side of things.

You never know, though. I’m still waiting for that one amazing game I always wanted to try but never did. I’m not sure what it is, but I will finally test out this awesome service when it does occur.

+ sethisthegoat on November 12th, 2014 at 12:54 pm said:

So, Playstation works with EA to give us access to pay for old games for a rental period. A service we could choose to (or not to) use.

Yet, Playstation doesn’t work with EA to give us access to EA Access, which is a service that we could personally choose to (or not to) use. With EA Access, we wouldn’t be limited to playing a game for 4 hours, 24 hours or 90 days…when they enter the library we can download them and play them as long as we have EA Access. Plus! We would get the chance to try games up to 5 days before they come out, giving us a useful tryout to decide if we will want to purchase the full game. (I would have loved having the trial period for Dragon Age, which I’m not sure if I will like…and won’t be spending $60 on because I was burned by Dragon Age 2.)

+ sethisthegoat on November 12th, 2014 at 12:54 pm said:

Continued: I love my PS4. I love my PSVita. I loved my PS3. I loved my PS2. I loved my PlayStation. (Sensing a trend?) There are so many great games on Playstation platforms. Playstation Plus is a really cool service and has led me to try many games I never would have, while also getting good deals on a lot of games I was looking forward to. But non-consumer-friendly stuff like this will drive me away…the same as I was driven away by PS3’s launch. I went through Wii and Xbox 360 before coming back to PlayStation, and that was only because Wii games were watered down and my 360 bricked.

And what sucks about some missteps with PS4 (like Driveclub, not giving us the EA Access option, the 2.0 update messing up Evolve Alpha, and, more importantly, the inability of Sony/Playstation to publicly respond when something “bad” happens) is that it really comes off like you/they aren’t listening. Like you/they don’t think they have to because they’re whipping Microsoft’s behind. The thing is, I could sell off my PS4, games and controllers today and purchase the equivalent system and number of games for Xbox One right now. I don’t want to do this right now…but when things pile up, that’s the kind of stuff that will happen.

+ remanutd5 on November 12th, 2014 at 1:02 pm said:

I’ve rented Ratchet and Clank into the Nexus for a week, very good experience, loved it. How about you guys bring Beyond Two Souls and Puppeteer?

Peter Jamshidi's Avatar

+ Peter Jamshidi on November 12th, 2014 at 4:40 pm said:

Request noted! Thanks for the feedback, and glad you enjoyed playing Ratchet and Clank streamed to you!

+ taddanthony on November 12th, 2014 at 1:03 pm said:

I wish we could stream the ps3 games we already purchased without having to re buy or rent them.

+ stalepie on November 12th, 2014 at 1:14 pm said:

Great to hear. I’ve been hoping to see Dead Space get added. I’ve had nothing but good experiences with PS Now and it seems like it’s improved recently too. I know it depends on your location and ISP and other factors, though.

+ al2009man on November 12th, 2014 at 1:27 pm said:

@40

“With EA Access, we wouldn’t be limited to playing a game for 4 hours, 24 hours or 90 days…when they enter the library we can download them and play them as long as we have EA Access. ”

EA Access is in a wrong competition with a “renting” services. EA Access is more-or-less similar to PS Plus (which is suppose to be a competitor) the major differences: It’s only EA-selected games. it just…doesn’t fit there.

can they just bring EA Access to Origin instead. or better yet, bring those EA games to Games with Gold and PlayStation Plus instead of creating a service exclusive to consoles.

“Give your user base a choice. Let us decide whether we want EA Access. You say it doesn’t provide “value” to the Sony consumer…and yet a broken Driveclub game does provide value to the consumer?”

Ironical, Battlefield 4 was broken for 6 months and yet, does it STILL provide value to the consumers after that?

face it, People are still Hating EA even to it’s day.

+ Kid_Loser on November 12th, 2014 at 1:28 pm said:

So how about getting Resonance of Fate on PSNow? Please :(

+ SmokeAdellic on November 12th, 2014 at 1:28 pm said:

I agree give us choice of each access!

+ ChainClutch on November 12th, 2014 at 1:31 pm said:

This service will never be a big hit until they fix the pricing.. its too expensive. A 1 week game rental should be like $1.99-$4.99 MAX and there shouldnt be any rental windows for only a few hours.

+ Syrlis on November 12th, 2014 at 1:33 pm said:

Of course you would. I JUST bought Mirror’s Edge digitally a couple weeks ago (it was on sale).

Problem is, I have my PS3 hooked up to my PlayStation TV (only way I can consume 3D content). My PS4 is hooked up to my 46″. I greatly prefer gaming on the bigger screen (22″ is doable, but it’s annoying).

I have played Mirror’s Edge for less than an hour probably. I would have WAY rather rented it via PS Now than purchase it. Atleast that way I could have played it on my PS4.

You guys REALLY need to allow games that have been purchased digitally from the PS Store (that are also already on PS Now) to be available via PS Now. If that’s something that requires a subscription then so be it ( I understand costs are associated to server needs and what not). Make it available to Plus subscribers (just another incentive to sign up).

PS Now also needs to get on them new releases. I love playing COD campaigns, but want nothing to do with the multiplayer. I’m now paying $60 for 6 hours of a one time play through of the campaign. I will however pay $7 to rent the campaign for a week.

+ JeRzYzFyNeSt on November 12th, 2014 at 2:06 pm said:

heres an idea.

i dont use PS now so i dont know if you provide this or not.

One Free rental of 4 hours a month on PS Now? i would like to get a free 4 hours to see how my connection would handle PS Now.
oh and when will you provide us with Some Statistics so we can see how well PS now is doing? im intersted in that

PAGE 1 2 3