Uncharted 4

Nov 24

sw

Hatoful Boyfriend Flapping to PS4, PS Vita in 2015

Graeme Struthers's Avatar Posted by on Nov 24, 2014 // Chief Avian Officer, Devolver Digital

Introducing Hatoful Boyfriend: a visual novel from Hato Moa, the creator of this gorgeous (and ever-so-slightly nuts) avian series. Releasing on PS4 and PS Vita in the second quarter of 2015, Hatoful Boyfriend is a visual novel / avian dating sim.

As the only human student at the prestigious St. PigeoNation’s Institute, a school for talented birds, you will roam the halls and find love in between classes as a sophomore student at the world’s greatest pigeon high school.

Hatoful Boyfriend on PS4 and PS Vita

Hatoful Boyfriend on PS4 and PS VitaHatoful Boyfriend on PS4 and PS Vita

It’s not all academic, though – there’s always time for a little romance. Chat with birds of every feather, from narcoleptic school instructors to pigeon biker gangs, on your way to flirty encounters with potential suitors that set your heart aflutter. Spend time with the ones that strike your fancy and ditch the ones that prove to be a bore!

But hey, not everything is what it seems at St. PigeoNation’s Institute. Uncover dark conspiracies, unexpected twists and hellish fiends bent on bringing about the apocalypse. Pick your dates wisely and you will flap off into the sky with your one true love. Take the wrong turn and you may well end up murdered in your bed.

So, your chance to romance with the birds, uncover dark avian conspiracies and find your true love in one fowl swoop will soon be here.

48 Comments

+ andyscout on November 24th, 2014 at 8:09 am said:

Haha, I was gonna buy this on Steam but now I’ll wait for the Vita version for dem Pigeon Trophies.

+ akiratech on November 24th, 2014 at 8:11 am said:

been waiting on this nonsense to come to playstation / wasn’t expecting to be on vita so thats a day one purchase

+ CaptainPotassium on November 24th, 2014 at 8:14 am said:

Best trailer ever?

+ Teflon02 on November 24th, 2014 at 8:20 am said:

LMAO, I won’t be buying, but that trailer was awesome lol. Hope it hits it’s sales quota. I gotta say ratchet and clank had some of the best trailers ever, destroy all humans too (though I feel like they were kinda swagger jacking lol), but this just topped both hands down

+ taren041 on November 24th, 2014 at 8:22 am said:

How much is it?

+ wanderjahr on November 24th, 2014 at 8:25 am said:

Will this be a PS+ title?

+ GrafUlrich88 on November 24th, 2014 at 8:29 am said:

Hey Graeme,

This looks pretty funny!

I wanted to ask if you guys would consider on making “Dynamic Themes” and “Avatar Pictures” for the PS4. Your game would look cool displayed on everyone’s PS4.

Cheers!!!

Rob aka Graf

P.S. Please keep posting info on the PS Blog as your game gets closer to launch, thanks.

+ Joe102187 on November 24th, 2014 at 8:31 am said:

Will definitely be getting this on Vita!

Now give us “I THOUGHT IT’D BE HAREM PARADISE BUT IT TURNED OUT YANDERE HELL” Localization and we’ll be set!

+ IIL0YDII on November 24th, 2014 at 8:52 am said:

Please don’t put it as PS Plus title.

+ MakoSOLIDER on November 24th, 2014 at 8:56 am said:

This looks hilarious. We need more Visual Novels in the west in SONY! Bring over all the Fate/Stay Nights! I feel like Vita is a great place for Visual Novels and the hardcore audience in the west will respond!

+ FearMonkey on November 24th, 2014 at 9:05 am said:

Awesome news. :)

Will it have a Platinum trophy? :p

+ Cyrske on November 24th, 2014 at 9:05 am said:

I’m surprised that SCE allows niche games like this to get trailer coverage on the PlayStation YouTube channel.

I’m not complaining, just surprised and I like how they simply do it even for more niche games like this one.

+ TJF588 on November 24th, 2014 at 9:19 am said:

My brain is simply deadened, seeing this pipe dream come true so soon after waking up.

I guess my questions would be:
– Can I play this on my freshly-acquired PS TVita?
– Will we see anything like the “Summer of Dove” edition?
– Please say there’ll be avatars and themes, oh gods.

So hype.

+ TJF588 on November 24th, 2014 at 9:22 am said:

Oh, and will it be Cross-Buy and/or Cross-Save? Plus any PS Plus promotion will be all the sweeter come “Day 1”.

+ Nazotchi on November 24th, 2014 at 9:24 am said:

I am so unbelievably happy about this.

+ langdon on November 24th, 2014 at 9:26 am said:

@1 Regretting my PC version for I’d love to get dem pigeon trophies. Trophies are somehow a better reason to me than Steam achievements for playing more of a game that I normally would.

Love the Vita love.

+ RoD_GX on November 24th, 2014 at 9:29 am said:

Disappointment! The Vita Nation has been cursed by sony.
Japanese garbage, indies garbage.. that Next Generation Portable promise is BS!
BULLS—! That’s your playstation “Experience”! This load of crap! This mediocre staff, not to mention shahid kamal – a liar, an opportunist who gives a F for the Vita!

SNK has announced Metal Gear Revolution for android and ios and yet the Vita has NOTHING on par! NOTHING!
And then you have yoshida asking himself why the Vita did not sell 50k units to “stay relevant”. Get your head out of your grass you japanese idiot.

— Next week on PS Vita: Snake for the Vita! Yaaay! It will have trophiezz!!!1111!! Look who’s announcing: Ryan! beyond! —
Bunch of hypocrite. The system is a joke but this joke will get back to sony. Wait and see.

+ Alex_Yagami on November 24th, 2014 at 9:39 am said:

The Flappening!

+ Cyrske on November 24th, 2014 at 9:54 am said:

@ + RoD_GX

Too bad, sorry for you.

I love the PS Vita and I think it’s easily the best PlayStation system ever. Sony Computer Entertainment’s first-party games have been amazing on PS Vita imo (and compare the first year of first-party of PS4 now vs. the first year of SCE first-party games on PS Vita, the PS Vita wins by a mile!). So imo SCE has been fantastic with the PS Vita, maybe their marketing has been sub-par for it though, but I don’t mind, I don’t need hype to enjoy the PS Vita!! :)

Also, if you are unsatisfied with the PS Vita, why not embrace other options instead of limiting yourself? I’ve got an Android tablet where I occasionally play games, I’ve got a DS. And I still prefer the PS Vita by a mile, so I’m going to enjoy it while it lasts! (because I doubt that after 3DS and PS Vita we’ll still see a handheld as succesful as DS or 3DS, so better enjoy handheld gaming as a whole while it’s still relevant and awesome, especially on the PS Vita (my personal preference)).

And I’m someone that has little interest in the more Japanese games that are more niche or fan service around here.

+ RoII_chan on November 24th, 2014 at 10:05 am said:

We need more otome games, my GF wants them but there are very hard to find.

+ FifthDream on November 24th, 2014 at 10:11 am said:

Yyyyyes! This is the best game. I even bought a St. PigeoNation’s Institute sticker to put on my laptop. Okosan is the best. This will be great on PS4. So excited.

+ Kishnabe on November 24th, 2014 at 10:15 am said:

LOL, I remember TotalBiscuit playing this. Will get this for the laughs.

Thanks for bringing it for the Vita as well.

Hope this has a Platinum.

+ YoruAzeniaSIC on November 24th, 2014 at 10:29 am said:

Of all the Dating Sims we could have gotten this is what we got XD I don’t know whether to complain or jump for joy about how much I’m gonna enjoy laughing at this silly game lol hopefully this will lead to future releases from the genre later on :D

+ Hayades on November 24th, 2014 at 10:34 am said:

1- Does it have a platinum?
2- How much is it?
3- How long is the game give or take?
3- Is it cross-buy
4- If not cross-buy, are the trophies shared or both the ps4 and vita version have there own list?

Would be nice to get answers

+ DecadanceFantasy on November 24th, 2014 at 10:55 am said:

Oh I bought this when it came out for Steam. Only the 2nd game I’ve bought from them.
I would have waited if I knew that it was on the way for PS Vita.
Kinda fun game. Fun to play for a bit. The bird thing was different to say the least.
I’m happy to see more visual novels on PS! Keep them coming!
I really wanna play Amnesia and Amnesia Later Crowd, and World for the PS Vita! Please localize them somehow!

+ kdiep on November 24th, 2014 at 10:58 am said:

Lol best blog title ever. Made my day.

+ Vcheese on November 24th, 2014 at 11:42 am said:

Boyfriend fapping? lol

+ BlueBl1zzard on November 24th, 2014 at 12:14 pm said:

“Avian dating sim”. Umm…….did I read that right?

Huh, I didn’t even realize this is coming from Devlover Digital. But anyway, this game definitely looks….interesting…I’m sorta tempted to check it out just out of sheer curiosity. Also, that trailer? Too funny!!

+ Gamerzlimited on November 24th, 2014 at 12:38 pm said:

I also just noticed that this is coming from Devolver Digital as well, the guys who published games like Hotline Miami and Shadow Warrior. I might have to take a look at this.

@RoD_GX I just did a Google search on this so called “Metal Gear Revolution” and there’s no such thing exist. If you’re trying to lie to make Sony and the Vita look bad, you fail miserably. You’re the real liar here who’s trying to make a fool of himself. Why do you get your head out of your grass? It’s idiots like you are the reason why this this community is plagued.

+ SeanStrange on November 24th, 2014 at 12:52 pm said:

Looks silly and it’s for sure not a game for me. Glad it’s coming onto more platforms than just Steam though.

+ GoodyearTwins on November 24th, 2014 at 2:36 pm said:

My dream has been realized

+ boomstickbhg on November 24th, 2014 at 3:30 pm said:

Any chance that sony will start bringing over normal dating sims?

I’m glad a VN is coming here, but I’m not interested in making love to animals so a game like this is… makes all that Asian tentacle creepiness seem normal.

I’m all for quirky and different but as someone who wants VN and dating sims in English, I’m not interested in a game that’s all about beastiality.

Is there some twist that the birds all turn human at some point? Or is this really a game about a human boy being in love with animals?

+ PhantomOranges on November 24th, 2014 at 4:01 pm said:

I want vita games and this is what I get. I love the system but Sony never releases games to it. Stuff like this comes all the time, and nothing else. If I wanted to pick this up I would get it on Steam for $1. As much as I want to play and love my Vita Sony has not given me a reason to in a while.

+ whereymyconary on November 24th, 2014 at 6:58 pm said:

Um… Woot. I read about this a while ago and got some giggles now… After finishing a good novel game I’m wondering if this would be a winner. Also a good gag present for my bird watching friend. But a lot comes down to price. Can see myself paying 40$ to date birds any time soon.

Also will it be in Japanese and English? Very interested to say the least.

+ SNORLAXex on November 24th, 2014 at 7:05 pm said:

I’ve always wanted to date a pigeon.

+ calc84maniac on November 24th, 2014 at 7:19 pm said:

@whereymyconary The press release said it’ll be $9.99. I’m definitely in for the Vita version at that price!

+ Mando44646 on November 24th, 2014 at 7:35 pm said:

WTF?

+ LUCIFERSGLEAM on November 24th, 2014 at 8:49 pm said:

Will totally not buy. What a silly looking game.

+ TJF588 on November 24th, 2014 at 10:48 pm said:

@32 boomstickbhg – You play as a human girl in a school of large, intelligent birds. Far as I know, the game never gets sexually explicit. But, yes, you can flirt among flutters, but I assure you their species is the least strange thing about these narratives. As for them being human, the most for you is their introduction screen (this itself optional), framed as a technology which can make “the birdiest of birds” look human.

+ honkayjeezus on November 24th, 2014 at 10:51 pm said:

Fwapping?

+ iREVOLTER on November 25th, 2014 at 2:11 am said:

F-apping?

+ WALKINGTHESAURUS on November 25th, 2014 at 6:40 am said:

Birds!? ‘Kay… I like VNs, so I might give it a try… ^^;

+ kokotan49 on November 25th, 2014 at 9:30 am said:

@boomstickbhg

It’s sooo worth it, but more of an otome game than anything (you’re even playing a girl, trying to date these “hot” bird guys) and with more comedic purposes, though it does have it’s tragic moments (and shocking, especially when you go the doctor route -recommended!). The birds stay birds the whole game, but you’re totally learning to love them. I didn’t really think about bestiality in any way, since it is more on the funny and innocent side regarding love.
Will definitely get it on my vita!

+ boomstickbhg on November 25th, 2014 at 4:56 pm said:

Thanks for the information fellow gamers.

Sounds like it could really be some wacky fun and not as… strange (bad strange) as I feared.

Worth keeping an eye on in case other promotional media shows off the fun of the game more (I couldn’t stand the included trailer here).

+ TJF588 on November 26th, 2014 at 12:08 am said:

What sold me on the games (there has been a follow-up, Holiday Star, that hasn’t been announced for the Mediatonic treatment…yet?) was Angie Gallant’s two forum-posts Let’s Plays of the demo and, later, selections of the full game, largely down the “Fat Bird” route (which has cemented him as my “best bird”, despite Okosan). While those are heavily spoilery, they assured I bought the games at DLSite, pre-ordered the Collector’s Edition via Humble, and will likely get this at launch (especially if Cross-Buy and/or inclusive of extras; those would break me). So, if you want a great, humorous take on a ridiculous, yet involving game, that;s what I’d recommend, hands down. (Again, demo LP first, then full game depending on if you want to see the routes for yourself before reading another’s take.)

+ Otaku_NyanNyan on November 26th, 2014 at 4:12 am said:

9001/10 “would buy” – IGN

+ LadyGammer9 on November 26th, 2014 at 6:34 am said:

Please, make some wallpapers, avatars and themes too! :3

+ MOCHIIIx on November 26th, 2014 at 1:42 pm said:

never got the chance to play this. finally i can, thanks.
more visual novels please. ; ;