Uncharted 4

Dec 06

wattam

Introducing Wattam, the new PS4 game from Katamari Damacy creator Keita Takahashi

Robin Hunicke's Avatar Posted by on Dec 06, 2014 // Co-founder Funomena

Hi! This is Keita and Robin here to share with you this first glimpse of our new project at Funomena. When we told people that we had begun to collaborate on a new game, they were very curious about what it could be. It is called “Wattam”.

The idea for this game came from when Keita was playing with his two-year old son, and wondered about what if all toys lived, and connected by themselves? It would be such a fun world to explore and play with! The word “Wattam” itself is actually composed of the Tamil and Japanese words for “making a circle” or “making a loop”. The initial prototype for this game was made by Keita and his friend Vikram, who are from these two cultures respectively, and this new word acknowledges one of the game’s core inspirations: making connections between different types of things.

Introducing Wattam, the new PS4 game

But what you’ll see here today is actually about a square-shaped person. It is a sneak peek into the life of the Mayor of the world of Wattam. We hope you enjoy meeting him, and the other characters of Wattam, as we reveal them throughout 2015. Until then, we wish you relaxing holidays and a lovely New Year!

All the news from PlayStation Experience

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End First Gameplay

MLB 15 The Show Out 3/31 for PS4, PS3, and PS Vita

Destiny Expansion I: First Look at the PS-Exclusive Mars Strike – The Undying Mind

Tripwire Interactive bringing Killing Floor 2 to PS4 – The Time is Right!

The Forest: Open-World Survival Horror Comes to PlayStation

Madness Awaits You…In the Darkest Dungeon

Bastion Coming to PS4, Vita Next Year

Orcs Must Die! is Invading PlayStation for the First Time!

Skytorn Coming to PS4

Severed Coming to Vita in Spring 2015

Shovel Knight Digs into PS4, PS3, PS Vita in 2015

Batman Arkham Knight: Ace Chemicals Infiltration Part 3 and a First Look at the Scarecrow Nightmare Missions

Suikoden II Coming to PSN

Street Fighter V: Console Exclusive to PS4, First Gameplay Video

Super Time Force Ultra Headed to PS4,Vita

Tim Schafer on Why You Need to Check Out Grim Fandango on PS4 & PS Vita

Fat Princess Adventures announced for PS4

Enter the Gungeon Coming to PS4 in 2015

Introducing What Remains of Edith Fitch, a New PS4 Exclusive

The Order: 1886 at PlayStation Experience

Tearaway Unfolded: New Trailer Revealed

Yakuza 5 Announced at PlayStation Experience

New No Man’s Sky Videos Revealed

Drawn to Death, a Hand-Drawn Arena Shooter, Coming to PS4

Introducing Project SkyLight: Limited Edition Faceplates to Personalize Your PS4

17 Comments

+ Sharingan_itachi on December 6th, 2014 at 11:43 am said:

what about vita

+ Trapbox1 on December 6th, 2014 at 12:35 pm said:

Sounds interesting! Can’t wait to see some gameplay footage :)

+ Tomoprime on December 6th, 2014 at 12:43 pm said:

WTF was that?

+ Elvick_ on December 6th, 2014 at 1:50 pm said:

Looking forward to seeing some gameplay to wrap my head around what it is this game wil lbe about. I liked the trailer though, it was neat.

+ Robin Hunicke on December 6th, 2014 at 2:34 pm said:

Hello and thanks for checking out our announcement teaser for Wattam!

We really wanted to introduce you to the Mayor and announce that we’re coming to PS4. We will also want to share more about our silly, strange game in the coming year – so we are very glad you are interested in learning more about it!

Also, Keita and I will host a panel this afternoon here at PSX. We will be talking about some of the inspirations behind his work – hope to see some of you there!

+ MOT12B on December 6th, 2014 at 2:53 pm said:

I’m keeping an eye on this one. Looks interesting!

+ plaztiksyke on December 6th, 2014 at 3:07 pm said:

please tell us that Noby Noby Boy is coming to Vita soon as well :) it is one of the best games to be a child’s first console “game”, like Locoroco :)

+ lobotomies4free on December 6th, 2014 at 4:18 pm said:

I still don’t understand this game but I want to play it anyways

+ DoomsdayTARDIS on December 6th, 2014 at 6:43 pm said:

As much as I love Keita’s work, I think they needed to pick something better for the trailer. Still interested either way though. I’d still love another Katamari even though he doesn’t have a hand in it anymore.

+ Robin Hunicke on December 6th, 2014 at 7:15 pm said:

I am a huge fan of Katamari too! We are going to be revealing more about the game as we go through the year – so keep an eye out for updates and new trailers. Trust us us – it will be fun! :D

+ DoomsdayTARDIS on December 6th, 2014 at 8:27 pm said:

That I will do, for sure. Can’t wait to hear and see more about it. :)

+ MaethWraith on December 6th, 2014 at 9:51 pm said:

I heart Keita’s saccharine take on the sinister and want to “watton” to see this return to form.

+ PanTheMan16 on December 7th, 2014 at 11:01 am said:

Why is the name Robin Hunicke so familiar to me?

+ VinsanityV21 on December 8th, 2014 at 7:47 am said:

Alright… that trailer was… something, lol. Great announcement though! I love the fact that Santa Monica studio can do stuff like God of War and then turn around and work with, seemingly, any studio in the world to bring such variety to the Playstation. Bring on more quirky, colorful, unique games from the man behind Katamari & Nobi Nobi Boy and I will definitely check it out!

+ theXsilentXchild on December 8th, 2014 at 8:21 am said:

Intriguing. I want to know more

+ Robin Hunicke on December 9th, 2014 at 1:18 pm said:

We are glad you are all curious – that was indeed the goal of this teaser! And we are also very excited to be working again with Sony Santa Monica on something that is unexpected. To that end: My name might be familiar because I was the Executive Producer of Journey – which came out on PSN in 2012 :D

+ Avi_Draconis on December 12th, 2014 at 11:36 am said:

I’m personally hoping for a PS4 version of Katamari Damacy, the series has always been among my favorites.