Overwatch

Dec 06

KillingFloor

Tripwire Interactive bringing Killing Floor 2 to PS4 – The Time is Right!

KillingFloor

Alan Wilson's Avatar Posted by on Dec 06, 2014 // Vice President, Tripwire Interactive

Hi everyone. Alan Wilson here. I’m the Vice President at Tripwire Interactive. What I enjoy doing for the company is writing, game design and research, but I also get to do all the crap no-one else wants to do. Except right now, when I get to talk about a huge step for us – Killing Floor 2 on PS4.

Tripwire Interactive was formed about 10 years ago and we released the original Killing Floor on PC in 2009. Since then, we’ve released a ton of additional content for free, added in some fun DLC, sold nearly 3 million units of the game and about 10 million units of DLC. In case you’re not familiar with Killing Floor, the game is a fun, dark, sometimes humorous take on a first person survival horror. Its really perfect for a console outing. So, we’ve been asked why we never did console before.

We’ve actually talked to a number of console teams over the last few years. But there always seemed to be reasons not to do it. One of the biggest for us was our independence. There always used to be a push to have us publish through some big publisher. And that wasn’t going to happen – we prefer to make our own decisions about our games. That’s why we’ve been able to have so much fun doing the special events (Twisted Christmas, Summer Sideshow, Halloween Horrors) and free updates.

Killing Floor 2 on PS4

So, a couple of years ago, when the development of Killing Floor 2 was in its early stages, the PlayStation 4 was announced and we started thinking about it. We were using Unreal Engine 3 because we’d already put a lot of work into engine-level tech for Red Orchestra 2. We had plans for a lot more new tech. We noticed Sony was really going the extra mile and engaging directly with indie developers. That was the big thing that made us look again. Work directly with Sony. All the barriers coming down. We went back to thoughts of KF1, but weren’t convinced we should repeat that process. We decided that the best way to go was to develop KF2 on both platforms in parallel and not look at the console like some after-thought port. The PS4 can do some amazing things and we’ve been discussing all the things that we’d like to do, like regular updates digitally, special events and all the rest. Haven’t figured them all out yet, but we could have a lot of fun. And if we have fun, the players should get even more fun.

All the news from PlayStation Experience

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End First Gameplay

MLB 15 The Show Out 3/31 for PS4, PS3, and PS Vita

Destiny Expansion I: First Look at the PS-Exclusive Mars Strike – The Undying Mind

Tripwire Interactive bringing Killing Floor 2 to PS4 – The Time is Right!

The Forest: Open-World Survival Horror Comes to PlayStation

Madness Awaits You…In the Darkest Dungeon

Bastion Coming to PS4, Vita Next Year

Orcs Must Die! is Invading PlayStation for the First Time!

Skytorn Coming to PS4

Severed Coming to Vita in Spring 2015

Shovel Knight Digs into PS4, PS3, PS Vita in 2015

Batman Arkham Knight: Ace Chemicals Infiltration Part 3 and a First Look at the Scarecrow Nightmare Missions

Suikoden II Coming to PSN

Street Fighter V: Console Exclusive to PS4, First Gameplay Video

Super Time Force Ultra Headed to PS4,Vita

Tim Schafer on Why You Need to Check Out Grim Fandango on PS4 & PS Vita

Fat Princess Adventures announced for PS4

Introducing Wattam, the new PS4 game from Katamari Damacy creator Keita Takahashi

Enter the Gungeon Coming to PS4 in 2015

Introducing What Remains of Edith Fitch, a New PS4 Exclusive

The Order: 1886 at PlayStation Experience

Tearaway Unfolded: New Trailer Revealed

Yakuza 5 Announced at PlayStation Experience

New No Man’s Sky Videos Revealed

Drawn to Death, a Hand-Drawn Arena Shooter, Coming to PS4

Introducing Project SkyLight: Limited Edition Faceplates to Personalize Your PS4

+ Sharingan_itachi on December 6th, 2014 at 10:57 am said:

Vita port?

+ Zoryu_of_Setsuna on December 6th, 2014 at 11:33 am said:

Yes! I can’t wait to play this on PS4, love the first one on PC.

+ Insomnia999 on December 6th, 2014 at 12:28 pm said:

Looks awesome!

+ Insomnia999 on December 6th, 2014 at 1:11 pm said:

Are you guys on UE4 now?
Any plans for a beta?
4 player online co-op?

Alan Wilson's Avatar

+ Alan Wilson on December 8th, 2014 at 8:33 pm said:

Heavily-modified UE3 – about 6 years of engine mods from us.
    Beta – don’t know yet. We’ll see how that works out.
    6 player co-op, not 4.

+ FredNation on December 6th, 2014 at 1:27 pm said:

I hope for a beta and Project Morpheus!

+ Supa-VillainJ on December 6th, 2014 at 2:27 pm said:

I’m hyped as **** about this, for 2 reasons, 1. My computer is most definitely not good enough to do Killing Floor 2 justice, like it did for the first Killing Floor. 2. I’ve been hoping for it to come to consoles since the announce of Killing Floor 2.

+ Krillinfan on December 6th, 2014 at 2:41 pm said:

Dat Demon Hunter music tho.

This pleases me.

+ Skater_Ricky on December 6th, 2014 at 3:21 pm said:

What year we looking at for projected release? 2015? 2016?

+ ZeeVoe-san on December 6th, 2014 at 6:55 pm said:

Wow, I’d never heard of this franchise before. This game looks Awesome!! Can’t wait

+ MarshMarlou on December 7th, 2014 at 12:02 am said:

Will it have 2 player splitscreen?

Alan Wilson's Avatar

+ Alan Wilson on December 8th, 2014 at 8:34 pm said:

Not in our plans…

+ Exhumed976 on December 7th, 2014 at 8:50 am said:

Thank you so much for this, easily my most excited PS4 announcement. I was hoping that KF2 would come to consoles, day one purchase for me.

+ GewoonElijah on December 8th, 2014 at 2:19 am said:

AWESOME!!

+ Rocky101010 on December 8th, 2014 at 10:34 am said:

I really wanted to find out, will it be have a split-screen option for PS4?

+ T-SuperBoyWonder on December 8th, 2014 at 6:49 pm said:

I REALLY HOPE THIS HAS UE4! and if you mind split screen please? so i can play with my friends at my house :D !

+ BLACKGANG07 on December 9th, 2014 at 8:38 am said:

I was wondering If Sony asked you if KF2 can be free for PS Plus Members? I hope not.

+ Sub-Xero on December 11th, 2014 at 8:51 am said:

I love seeing all those tools on your YouTube videos speaking for you (Tripwire) saying things like “KF2 will never come to consoles” and “Tripwire hates consoles.” I bet you guys are getting a lot of butthurt backlash because of this. While I have a pretty beastly PC, I prefer to do most of my gaming on a console and I can honestly say that if you hadn’t brought this to the PS4 then I would not have bought or played it. Thank you for bringing this to the PS4 :) Maybe in the future we can get one of those snazzy Red Orchestra games? :P

+ lil_twist_665 on December 13th, 2014 at 6:24 pm said:

Will there be split-screen for this game. It will be my deciding factor on buying the game.

+ yung_kev_665 on December 16th, 2014 at 12:21 am said:

We need splitscreen on this game. I’ve been wanting to play this game with friends.

+ TRUEPATRiiOT on December 20th, 2014 at 4:25 am said:

After recently purchasing Killing Floor 1 on Steam, I can say I’m incredibly excited for this. I got an Xbox One last year, and while I do enjoy it, it doesn’t have enough arcade/indie games. Thus the reason I’m buying a PS4. I do have one question though:

Do you think this will release alongside the PC version (same time I mean)? !(Fingers Crossed)!

I could probably play this on my PC at a high(ish) graphic level, but multiplayer gaming has always been a console thing for me. Thanks for letting me know if you get the chance!!

+ jackrabbit97 on December 21st, 2014 at 9:11 pm said:

Do you guys plan on making an endless wave mode?

+ Tfool on January 2nd, 2015 at 11:35 am said:

This game will be AWESOME! I’ve done an insane amount of time on the first game. One major question though that hasn’t come up… Will you be able to link your steam account to the PS4 like we could on Portal 2? That was good to be able to progress on one and carry it on the other platform including progress and trophies (so I can keep my perks?). I don’t know which I should choose but that would make it easy… buy both versions :)

+ Vegas2431 on January 3rd, 2015 at 9:39 am said:

This game looks amazing but Tripwire should seriously consider some sort of couch coop. I understand that it may take the players out of the experience. If this is what you believe, then a max of 2 player split screen should be an option. The game is a survival first person shooter, if splitscreen is incorporated, more people would buy it (potentially).

Thanks