Final Fantasy XV

Dec 06

Yakuza 5 Announced at PlayStation Experience

Mai Kawaguchi's Avatar Posted by on Dec 06, 2014 // Sr. Digital Brand Manager, Sega

Today is a very special and exciting day for all of us at SEGA. Partnering with our friends at Sony Computer Entertainment America, we just revealed our plan to bring Yakuza 5 to the U.S. and Europe at PlayStation Experience in Las Vegas. We also announced that Yakuza 4 and Yakuza: Dead Souls are available on PlayStation Network starting today.

Yakuza 5 PSX

We’ve received so many requests from our fans to bring Yakuza 5 to the U.S. and Europe. Yakuza 5 also made the top of the list of Sony’s #BuidingTheList campaign led by Gio Corsi at Sony Computer Entertainment and we were moved by all the support given to Yakuza 5 by the PlayStation community.

Yakuza 5 continues the epic story of Kazuma Kiryu alongside four other protagonists, following their struggles and conflicts in the seedy underbelly of Japan’s Yakuza underworld. Featuring a new graphics engine versus its predecessor, Yakuza 5 takes players to five major Japanese cities to venture through a life of crime and power.

Yakuza 5 PSXYakuza 5 PSX

Yakuza 5 features more mini-games than previous titles, a modified battle system as well as enhanced customizations and interactions in the signature hostess bars of the series. In addition to these features, Yakuza 5 also introduces “Another Drama” which is a series of side stories that focus on each protagonist in-depth and are separate from the main story of the game.
Yakuza 5 PSX
Allow me to also share messages from Toshihiro Nagoshi, the Executive Director of Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio and the General Producer of the Yakuza series and Masayoshi Yokoyama, the Producer of Yakuza 5.

Toshihiro Nagoshi (Executive Director and General Producer)

“After receiving so many requests from fans of the series, we have decided to bring Yakuza 5 to the US and Europe. This title was enjoyed by over one million gamers in Japan. I’m looking forward to seeing how Yakuza 5 will be received by the gamers in the U.S. and Europe. ”

Masayoshi Yokoyama (Producer)

“Yakuza 5 is the largest and most definitive version of the Yakuza series. The game is filled with depictions of the Japanese way of life, culture, trends, social issues and dreams. You will play as 5 different main characters with a range of different ages, genders and professions and experience their challenges through a variety of character focused, in-depth stories. I hope you can immerse yourself in our rendition of modern time Japan. ”

All the news from PlayStation Experience

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End First Gameplay

MLB 15 The Show Out 3/31 for PS4, PS3, and PS Vita

Destiny Expansion I: First Look at the PS-Exclusive Mars Strike – The Undying Mind

Tripwire Interactive bringing Killing Floor 2 to PS4 – The Time is Right!

The Forest: Open-World Survival Horror Comes to PlayStation

Madness Awaits You…In the Darkest Dungeon

Bastion Coming to PS4, Vita Next Year

Orcs Must Die! is Invading PlayStation for the First Time!

Skytorn Coming to PS4

Severed Coming to Vita in Spring 2015

Shovel Knight Digs into PS4, PS3, PS Vita in 2015

Batman Arkham Knight: Ace Chemicals Infiltration Part 3 and a First Look at the Scarecrow Nightmare Missions

Suikoden II Coming to PSN

Street Fighter V: Console Exclusive to PS4, First Gameplay Video

Super Time Force Ultra Headed to PS4,Vita

Tim Schafer on Why You Need to Check Out Grim Fandango on PS4 & PS Vita

Fat Princess Adventures announced for PS4

Introducing Wattam, the new PS4 game from Katamari Damacy creator Keita Takahashi

Enter the Gungeon Coming to PS4 in 2015

Introducing What Remains of Edith Fitch, a New PS4 Exclusive

The Order: 1886 at PlayStation Experience

Tearaway Unfolded: New Trailer Revealed

Yakuza 5 Announced at PlayStation Experience

New No Man’s Sky Videos Revealed

Drawn to Death, a Hand-Drawn Arena Shooter, Coming to PS4

Introducing Project SkyLight: Limited Edition Faceplates to Personalize Your PS4

PAGE 1 2 3

+ TidusBlitz on December 6th, 2014 at 12:15 pm said:

Yes!!! Thank you for listening to the fans! Question: Will the voice acting be localized as well?

+ eggmiester28 on December 6th, 2014 at 12:22 pm said:

About time, some of the best news i have heard all month.Now i am just hopping you guys will release the hd collection of 1 and 2.

+ Matrix_Lion on December 6th, 2014 at 12:23 pm said:

Mai Kawaguchi thank you

+ diego0810 on December 6th, 2014 at 12:26 pm said:

Yes! now we need Ishin !

+ mmitch079 on December 6th, 2014 at 12:27 pm said:

Awesome news, hoping 1 & 2 HD make their way over as well.

+ Ikusa02 on December 6th, 2014 at 12:29 pm said:

This. This is why we buy Playstation you know. As much as we like western games, it’s games like Yakuza that take the formulas of certain genres and turn them on their head. As time went on it’s seems we’ve seen fewer of those types of games as Sega etc. have been more focused on Japan and the cost of localizing games has gone up. So any time something like this happens, whether or not you are a fan or not, just remember that it’s what built the Playstation and why we have the quality of games we have. Open your mind and you’ll see so much more ;)

+ canedaddy on December 6th, 2014 at 12:40 pm said:

My wife looked at me like I was crazy when this was announced and I jumped up with my fists in the air and yelled, “YES!”

Ishin too please!

+ gerneric123 on December 6th, 2014 at 12:41 pm said:

pls bring phantasy star online 2 and ps nova to vita in english pls

+ Nexik68 on December 6th, 2014 at 12:43 pm said:

Tears of absolute joy
Thank you!!!!

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on December 6th, 2014 at 12:44 pm said:

@canedaddy i was applauding.

btw PS3 FTW :)

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on December 6th, 2014 at 12:46 pm said:

digital only with no physical disc really blows tho :(

+ FearMonkey on December 6th, 2014 at 12:47 pm said:

+ plaztiksyke on December 6th, 2014 at 12:48 pm said:

It would be awesome to see more Dreamcast games on Vita. Jet Set Radio was fantastic, but Sonic Adventure and Shenmue would be amazing!

+ Archvile78 on December 6th, 2014 at 12:52 pm said:

Oh man, this made my day.
Thank you Sega and Sony Third party production.

+ TrueLordX on December 6th, 2014 at 12:58 pm said:

This made my day. Great news! Was thinking I’d have to get an import, so happy to hear we will be seeing an American 5. Looking forward to it. Thank you so much.

+ MasamuneNKX on December 6th, 2014 at 12:59 pm said:

“Yakuza 5 coming to North America…”

“…via Playstation Network!”

Please consider releasing a physical version as well. I know I’m not the only one wishing for this.

+ dkarlowicz10 on December 6th, 2014 at 1:04 pm said:

I cannot wait for this to come to PS4. How about bringing Yakuza 1 and 2 HD to Vita so people can play those on the go?

+ sandkwithhp on December 6th, 2014 at 1:05 pm said:

Thanks for bringing this over, but I wish it was on PS4, as well!

+ Elvick_ on December 6th, 2014 at 1:11 pm said:

Damn it, why digital only?

Partner with NISA, Aksys, Atlus, or Xseed to release a limited retail release or something. Yevon, this is annoying.

Hell, Gaijinworks. They did a preorder only retail release of Clash of Heroes 2G for PS3, and I didn’t even want the game, but bought it so I could support a publisher making a good publishing decision for their consumers.

Give people the chance to show they want a retail copy and the chance to actually buy one. You don’t need to make that many copies, you can publish at retail and not lose money. Stop trying to force us into digital only.

If you were doing digital only, why not bring us the HD Collection too? Nonsense.

I’m glad it’s coming over, but now I won’t be playing it. So it’s pretty much the same as always until the game goes down to $5 or less on a sale.

+ Kishnabe on December 6th, 2014 at 1:12 pm said:

AlphaOmegaSin…is probably gushing right now.

Thanks for bringing Yakuza 4, Yakuza 5, Dead Souls to PSN. How about Yakuza 3 to PSN….hard to track a physical copy.

Yakuza 1+2 remake….many of us haven’t played those gems.

+ Nerroth on December 6th, 2014 at 1:23 pm said:

Hopefully this bodes well for other Sega properties in Japan, such as Shining Resonance, Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax, and Phantasy Star Nova.

+ Hayades on December 6th, 2014 at 1:29 pm said:

I have bought Yakuza 3, 4 and dead souls but am waiting desperately for Yakuza 1 and 2 HD remake to come over here to finally start the series properly as I can’t start a series in the middle.

+ insano_jaco on December 6th, 2014 at 1:31 pm said:

The best announcement of the year, BY FAR!
I had lose any hope to see that happening, I still can’t believe!

I would like to see Sony helping with marketing for Yakuza series, you can’t go wrong with “An open-world crime action game, exclusive to Playstation”. People love GTA, Sleeping Dogs, Watch_dogs, Yakuza only needs a better push with marketing.

Hell, advertising did Watch_dogs, a mediocre game, sell like water in the desert.

I honestly think that the main barrier for Yakuza, besides marketing, is the number sequence in the title.
It is hard to make newcomers jump in to play a game with “4”, “5” in the title, with characters in development since PS2 era, it’s to much to catch up.
It’s different from GTA, that every sequel is a independent game, so I don’t need to know GTAV 1, 2, 3, 4 to play GTAV.
Videos explaining the happenings of previous games are a good way to make it clear for newcomers for sure, but they don’t feel the characters like followers from long date.

+ insano_jaco on December 6th, 2014 at 1:32 pm said:

Yakuza 5 in english will do well, there’s a lot of fans like me waiting for it, and I think that Yakuza Zero has even a bigger chance.
Yakuza Zero is a prequel, nobody needs to know previous entries of the series, everyone can jump in, without any reference.
There won’t be “do I need to play old games to catch up?”, no, you dont have to.

Besides this fact that newcomers do not need to catch up with the story, a fresh start, Yakuza Zero is a PS4 game, people are willing to give more chances for new experiences right now with the new generation, taking risks with games that they never tried before.
It’s the perfect time to capture this audience.

Yakuza has potential to leave it’s mark among GTAs, Sleeping Dogs and Watch_dogs, and Yakuza supporters deserves Yakuza 5, thank you so much for that!

But Yakuza Zero can pave the way for a new generation of Yakuza games in english, keep bringing it!

+ death-devil88 on December 6th, 2014 at 1:32 pm said:

Im very happy for this news. Please SEGA consider releasing Yakuza 5 on PS4 as well, as many people sold or traded their PS3 for a new PS4.

+ Gumbydunzeeto on December 6th, 2014 at 1:43 pm said:

Digital only is the same as absolutely no release.

Sega, this is a slap in the face to fans of the series.

Release it physically, or I genuinely hope the series bombs.

+ Viewtiful_Gene on December 6th, 2014 at 1:47 pm said:

It sucks it’s digital only, but at least Sega/Sony are doing the localization.

(Valkyria Chronicles on PC and now this? Two great decisions in a row? It’s the world ending or something?)

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on December 6th, 2014 at 1:52 pm said:

^^^ PS3 sitll kickin ass lol

not to mention direct CD copying & playback :)

+ Nasaniru on December 6th, 2014 at 2:12 pm said:

By far this is the best news of the day. Kudos to Sony Third Party Productions, SCEA and Sega for listening to the fans.

Keep up the great work guys.

+ Kinbushi on December 6th, 2014 at 2:17 pm said:

As much as I’m excited, I’m not looking forward to Sony and there ridiculous pricing for this game….. Physical copy FTW!

+ johnstalvern1 on December 6th, 2014 at 2:23 pm said:

This is a nice surprise, but can we please know if there’s going to be any cut or removed content from the original release like past Yakuza games? It would be pretty poor for us to have waited so long, just to get an incomplete game.

+ RedViperN7 on December 6th, 2014 at 2:27 pm said:

+ dulun18 on December 6th, 2014 at 2:42 pm said:

“Yakuza 5 will be available exclusive to PlayStation 3 via PlayStation Network in 2015. Please stay tuned for more information on Yakuza 5! ”

am reading this right? .. so it’s a digital only game?…. :/

+ sockerps on December 6th, 2014 at 2:45 pm said:

Awesome! Any chance for Shining Resonance now that Sega is on a roll?

+ TomHoang on December 6th, 2014 at 2:46 pm said:

I have been waiting since 2011 for this announcement! I had all but given up hope on this game getting a Western release after last year, but today was a pleasant surprise. A little sad on Sega’s part that it required 3PP for them to notice the demand for this game.

I’m so happy this is coming out, and I know beggars can’t be choosers, but how about a physical release for this? There really is no excuse, because if third party publishers I’ve never heard of can afford to do physical releases, then Sony/Sega definitely should be able to.

Now for Yakuza 1 + 2 HD and Ishin…

+ samv33 on December 6th, 2014 at 2:55 pm said:

Already imported it, but will definitely be glad to play it in English. Thank you. There’s an audience for the period Yakuza games, as well, but I won’t get ahead of myself. Bringing 5 to the West is a good start.

+ ericquaresma on December 6th, 2014 at 3:38 pm said:

Thank you Sony, Thank you Sega, my eyes are sweating

+ ssvillage on December 6th, 2014 at 4:02 pm said:

So, it’s digital only. Hmm, so how about localizing VC3 and Shining Resonance? The least you can do is let Atlus localize some Sega games since it’s now part of Sega Sammy.

+ boxmyth on December 6th, 2014 at 4:03 pm said:

Been waiting forever for this. Thank you Sony & Sega!

+ VaDiMkA on December 6th, 2014 at 4:34 pm said:

Hell Yeah, damn YEAH F**** YEAH!!!!! That is the best announcment of the year!!! Thanks Sony and Sega and the guys who made that possible!!!! I´m so happy i could sing Kamurocho Lullaby!!

+ iREVOLTER on December 6th, 2014 at 4:49 pm said:

Ma man Gio! Brofist. Thx to Sony and Sega!

p.s: Can we see a Digital release of Y3? Please :)

+ Hitokiri_03 on December 6th, 2014 at 4:55 pm said:

Thank you Adam Boyes and Gio Corsi for bringing this game to the west.

@ 23
Dude Yakuza is a RPG, not a GTA clone or similar.

This type of association only hurt the franchise.

+ lyricaldanichan on December 6th, 2014 at 5:04 pm said:

I am so happy that we will get to see Yakuza 5 out in the west. I hope that it means the other games will get released out here as well especially the two that are on PS4. Thank you!!!

+ krelian01 on December 6th, 2014 at 5:06 pm said:

OH YES, OH YES, OH YES, OH YES, OH YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Valkyria-Edge on December 6th, 2014 at 5:15 pm said:

good to know the physical people are here to show how ungrateful they are as always

+ Viewtiful_Gene on December 6th, 2014 at 5:17 pm said:

@41 Hitokiri_03
Dude, it’s a BRAWLER with RPG elements. Akiba’s Trip for example is actually a RPG, with brawler elements (and that’s why it’s compared to Yakuza).

+ Hitokiri_03 on December 6th, 2014 at 5:39 pm said:

Now you have to explain me why, because I always saw as a RPG (action) like Tales series, but with a mature storytelling.

+ TheWintendoHii on December 6th, 2014 at 5:40 pm said:

Been waiting for this announcement for 2 years now! I’m glad I can finally play this game but if its possible, is there still any chance of a physical release being considered? Even a limited run and retailer exclusive would be great as long as there is a chance of getting a physical copy like Tales of Hearts R that was a Gamestop exclusive.

+ letherclad on December 6th, 2014 at 6:05 pm said:

Very exciting news, I almost gave up hope on this, thanks!

+ LucasKane_qd on December 6th, 2014 at 6:09 pm said:

Words cannot express… I can’t even… I hope they don’t cut down stuff like they did with 3, and I’d still like to see Ishin etc. But for now… this is amaaaaazing. I had lost all hope. Everyone. Buy.This.Day1

PAGE 1 2 3