PlayStation Vue

Dec 15

dmc

DmC: Definitive Edition Coming to PS4 on March 17th, 2015

Dominic Matthews's Avatar Posted by on Dec 15, 2014 // Product Development Ninja, Ninja Theory

Hello PlayStation community, Dominic Matthews here from Ninja Theory. Today we’re proud to announce that we’re teaming up with Capcom again to bring DmC: Definitive Edition to PS4 on March 17th, 2015.

DmC: Definitive Edition

DmC: Definitive Edition does what it says in its name: it delivers the definitive DmC experience. We’ve revisited DmC: Devil May Cry and improved, optimized, and added to the game. When creating the original DmC, there were improvements that we wanted to make, but never got the chance to. In DmC Definitive Edition, we’ve made those improvements.

We’ve taken on-board player feedback and implemented many of the most requested features. In addition, we’ve given DmC a full, next-gen makeover, with uprezzed graphics and a silky smooth running speed of 60 fps at 1080p. DmC Definitive Edition also comes bundled with all released DLC and a host of new modes.

DmC: Definitive EditionDmC: Definitive Edition

Here are just some of the awesome new features of DmC: Definitive Edition:

• 60 fps and 1080p resolution — It looks and feels super smooth to play.
  • Uprezzed Graphics — Including textures, characters, and cinematics.
  • Big Bundle of Content — The game includes DmC: Devil May Cry, plus all released DLC: Vergil’s Downfall campaign, 3 Dante skins, 3 Dante weapon skins, and the item finder.
  • New Skins — 2 new character skins. Devil May Cry 1 Dante and Classic Vergil.
  • Turbo Mode — Turbo Mode returns to the Devil May Cry series, with the game running 20% faster in this mode.
  • Hardcore Mode — Hardcore mode retains the experience of DmC, but with a throwback to the classic Devil May Cry games in terms of balance. In this mode, which can be toggled on all difficulty levels, the style system has been rebalanced to make ranking up much harder and ranks deteriorate much quicker. In addition, Devil Trigger doesn’t launch enemies into the air, parrying takes more skill, and all enemies hand out more damage.
  • Manual Target Lock — We’ve seen more requests for this than any other feature! The manual target lock works as closely to the classic Devil May Cry lock on as possible and has fully configurable controls.
  • Vergil Bloody Palace — Only second to Manual Target Lock in terms of the number of fan requests! This is a new Bloody Palace mode featuring 60 levels and Vergil as the playable character.
  • Must Style Mode — This is a hardcore modifier on an epic scale that can be played over any difficulty level. Players must be at an S rank or higher to deal any damage to enemies.
  • Gods Must Die Difficulty Mode — This is DmC Definitive Edition’s hardest difficulty mode. It takes DmC’s ridiculously hard Dante Must Die mode and adds a touch more punishment: All enemies spawn with Devil Trigger active and no items or health drops can be used.
  • Rebalanced and Retuned — We’ve studied fan feedback and made a whole host of tweaks and balance changes. The style system has been rebalanced, as have bosses. Exploits have been fixed in combat and some of Dante’s moves rebalanced, such as the Demon Evade. Gameplay tweaks have been made following hardcore player testing; frames have been removed from Kablooey shots, Parry/Evade windows adjusted, and collectibles, keys and doors redistributed.
  • Integration of Popular Community Mods — DmC Definitive Edition includes community mods such as an optional timer disable for Bloody Palace Mode, a triple dash for Angel Evade, and the ability to hit red and blue enemies with any weapon.
  • New Cutscene — an added cinematic scene that never made it into the original.

It’s not often that a developer gets the opportunity to revisit their game and improve it. We’ve grasped this chance and taken great care to bring DmC: Devil May Cry onto PS4 in the style that it truly deserves.

Until next time!

156 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ IIL0YDII on December 15th, 2014 at 8:04 am said:

I hope Capcom brings real Dante to PS4.

+ jason_redemption on December 15th, 2014 at 8:06 am said:

SECOND

+ Aytch_Buck_Nasty on December 15th, 2014 at 8:07 am said:

Take my money

+ yuricloud3 on December 15th, 2014 at 8:07 am said:

Please make a new devil may cry with the real dante, love the ninja theory work i pick every game they release, but tnot this one, realy hopping to se these amazing developers new games , i’m a huge fan of you work.

+ Hitokiri_03 on December 15th, 2014 at 8:08 am said:

Why?

+ MmaFanQc on December 15th, 2014 at 8:09 am said:

@1
“Not in a million years.”

+ KazeEternal on December 15th, 2014 at 8:11 am said:

-.-

+ JosephDUDEhola1 on December 15th, 2014 at 8:12 am said:

Even though I never did like this game’s Dante & vergil nor the story… I did like the new battle system, so buying it only for that.

+ Porcupeth00 on December 15th, 2014 at 8:14 am said:

My favorite game of 2013. Might double dip

+ KazeEternal on December 15th, 2014 at 8:15 am said:

Why is this getting a definitive edition? I liked the original game and all, but I don’t think I can be bothered to buy it again. Does this feature improved shadows? Shadows had serious issues among other lighting effects that really pulled me out of the experience. Seriously I need more than Tomb Raider Definitive Edition updates and some extra play modes to make me want to play through this again on a new platform.

+ jwunorton09 on December 15th, 2014 at 8:15 am said:

this isn’t wanted or needed. can’t wait for dmc 5.

@ MmaFanQc – “Not in a million years.” – you’re incorrect. real dante is coming back in about 2 years.

+ versones on December 15th, 2014 at 8:16 am said:

Stop bring Definitive Edition and bring new games.

+ jason_redemption on December 15th, 2014 at 8:17 am said:

Hey guys it was cool last generation when you brought collections of PS2 games to the PS3 with widescreen-HD treatment but the remastering this generation is OUT OF CONTROL, seriously people, we want you to work on new games or remaking a game with all new assets so that you don’t need a “graphics comparison” video to see minute differences in textures. Just my two cents.

+ DanteMerfi on December 15th, 2014 at 8:17 am said:

I guess I’m in the minority, but I actually loved this game. However, I already beat it so no point in me buying it again unless it’s a flash sale for a ridiculous price.

+ Hitokiri_03 on December 15th, 2014 at 8:17 am said:

More important news

“Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition will be available for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in Summer 2015.”

+ PZDugna on December 15th, 2014 at 8:18 am said:

I heard that they’re also bringing DMC4 to PS4/Xbone but for some reason are not publicizing it…so I suggest if this news is true of DMC4 coming you buy that version and show Capcom you don’t want this fake Dante.

+ Da_1_hated_tito on December 15th, 2014 at 8:18 am said:

To those upset about not having the “real” Dante, Capcom also announced DMC4 Special Edition for the summer.

+ al2009man on December 15th, 2014 at 8:20 am said:

to anyone that want a real Dante…

isn’t this Edition suppose to come with every DLCs including Old Dante’s costume?

+ TimeSkipLuffy on December 15th, 2014 at 8:20 am said:

@10 The good thing is that you can decide if you want to buy it or not. The decision is yours to make! :D You can not buy it and wait for it to appear on PS+ somewhere in the future.

+ fadingshadow on December 15th, 2014 at 8:20 am said:

Holy cow it’s not just higher resolution and frames? We’re actually getting better textures and new modes with all the DLC? Now THIS is how you do a “Definitive” edition! I’m not surprised that the talented team at Ninja Theory went the extra mile to make DmC look and run even better than ever! ^,..,^

+ nnn222 on December 15th, 2014 at 8:22 am said:

y u bring such a horrible game to PS4 Capcom ?
ur just losing more money

+ NX_Nytrux on December 15th, 2014 at 8:23 am said:

$19.99 and i’ll buy it…hehe… i don’t think so :-(

+ Porcupeth00 on December 15th, 2014 at 8:25 am said:

Respect other people’s opinions. Many of us loved this dmc game and have no need for your supposed “real dante”. Don’t claim to speak for everyone with those types of comments.

+ Solh0und on December 15th, 2014 at 8:25 am said:

I hope people buy it this time so we can possibly get a sequel(and Capcom stop expecting “Call of duty numbers”). Say what you will about this reboot,but the way Vergil’s downfall ends, it felt like it needed more of a closure.

+ MAUSZX on December 15th, 2014 at 8:29 am said:

One of the most overlooked games of the last years just because Dante doesn’t have a belt on his nipples. Seriously I love Devil May Cry but the Story and the way the game looks is WAY BETTER than the old ones.

+ soldiercell on December 15th, 2014 at 8:30 am said:

I have always hated the DMC series until I played the reboot. Much better game all around.

+ italodancemp3 on December 15th, 2014 at 8:33 am said:

Dominic Matthews

Please answer me,is there any version or Trilogy HD for Vita on the way? Tnx.

+ sedoi on December 15th, 2014 at 8:35 am said:

Thank you but no. 20 bucks for THIS? Sorry, but it doesn’t cost 5 bucks in my opinion. It still will be boring casual buttnomasher :/

+ BlaqMagiq24 on December 15th, 2014 at 8:36 am said:

Eww. They should’ve kept this game. The game can’t touch DMC3 in any way shape or form. Not to mention the utter disrespect the director showed towards the DMC fanbase. I’ll make sure to pass this game as well as Hellblade.

I’d rather play DMC2 and I didn’t even like that game.

Also, I can confirm that DMC4 Special Edition is true!!! Oh my God!!! Can’t wait to play a REAL DMC game again with the REAL Dante!

+ MGN1990 on December 15th, 2014 at 8:37 am said:

I would love to see DMC continue on next gen. I’m getting giddy just thinking about the possibilities for sharing combo videos.
It’s one of my favorite series in the past decade or so. I could care less what Dante looks like.

+ MarinoBrea on December 15th, 2014 at 8:39 am said:

You’re not “teaming up” with anyone, the game won’t be PS4 exclusive. It would have worked better as an exclusive though, as poor and desperate these remasters are.

+ Staufway on December 15th, 2014 at 8:45 am said:

On one hand, great! But on the other hand, no, just NO!…this is getting ludricious, yet more and more ‘HD-HD’ ports of PS3 games for PS4!? How about a new DMC instead? Final Fantasy X, now this! Among others that already came out and have yet to come out. Ah well, if the price is right….

+ marc2henri on December 15th, 2014 at 8:48 am said:

hey, that’s what we need this generation. MORE REMAKES!!!!!

i Can’t wait for Call of duty: Definitive EDITION
FIFA: definitive EDITION
GOW: Definitive EDITION
MORE MORE MORE

+ Rezznak on December 15th, 2014 at 8:50 am said:

ew no. How bout a Heavenly Sword remaster for ps4? Or even oh I don’t know, Ninja Theory, HEAVENLY SWORD 2!?!?!?!

+ HolyGman on December 15th, 2014 at 8:52 am said:

depends on the price….

+ TheFlyingPuffin on December 15th, 2014 at 8:53 am said:

You people are complaining about more options in regards to titles on the new platform? These re-releases aren’t stopping developers from creating brand new experiences, just adding more alternatives for the people that might want them. I liked this title on the 360 but never finished it and would consider buying it for the PS4 if the new esthetic improvements warrant it. Any and all titles should be welcomed on any platform. Diversity and options are good things.

+ Bellalara on December 15th, 2014 at 8:54 am said:

Take my money please!!!

+ NewYork214 on December 15th, 2014 at 8:57 am said:

Awesome. I loved the game, got it from PS Plus. I never finished it though due to PS4 taking up my gaming time. Ill be picking it up. new features look amazing.

+ RE4LNOiZE_42 on December 15th, 2014 at 8:58 am said:

Look, it’s nice and all, but I bought the game on PC some time ago for about 10$, and I run it on my TV at 1080p 60fps already.

This will probably be released at full retail price of $70 (in Canada) or near that price, I don’t see how I would pay for this.

Granted, I understand that remaking games that already has all the assets done is a great way to get a quick buck on the new systems because of their x86, PC-type architecture, which makes things quite easy if there’s already a PC port, but I think people would prefer to buy new content, and not “remastered” editions all the time.

I appreciate the upgrade like anyone else, but I see it only being of any value to those who still haven’t played the game yet, and depending on price, it might even be better to splurge instead for the PC version of the original one when it gets on sale for about $10 or less. This version already can run 1080p at 60fps and looks pretty good. Are all those extras worth paying a premium? I know you guys are still working hard on this, but strictly from a consumer perspective, this is a hard sell if the price is too high.

+ plaztiksyke on December 15th, 2014 at 8:59 am said:

I agree with @10, just upscaling and using higher-res textures doesn’t provide enough value for me to re-buy this game — the lighting needs dramatic improvement. Turning on the 30fps lock in The Last of Us has a nice bump to lighting detail, but there was still quite a few “last-gen” moments that really took me out of the game. Tomb Raider on PS4 had similar issues where textures really close to the camera didn’t have high-resolution equivalents.

Dominic, can you talk about how the rendering tech has been improved for PS4 besides up-scaling? Specifically with self-shadowing, shaders, glow maps, tesselation, and lighting in-general?

+ SaitoHF on December 15th, 2014 at 8:59 am said:

As one of the few unfortunate sods that Platinumed this (because let’s be honest, this is the easiest Devil May Cry of the lot), I don’t know if I want to go through this game yet again. “Then don’t buy it?” is an easy retort, but I just don’t see much of a point this. Great you guys finally listened to some of the feedback two years later, but this is something you guys should have been doing since before the game originally launched instead of having Tameem suck on a cigarette and try to anger the fanbase more (most weren’t even on about the white hair at that point and more how the game stunk as a DMC.)

I just hope the game is actually fun to play now since it felt like such a running through the motions with the combat system. I already REALLY like the idea of removing the color restrictions on enemies and weapons. That alone sounds like a big game changer for a game that was sorely lacking in game.

Aside from that, I kinda hope that white wig from the beginning is unlockable. It actually would have been a great gag unlockable for beating the game (“Not in a million years” indeed) the first time through and honestly didn’t look half bad.

+ NewYork214 on December 15th, 2014 at 9:00 am said:

Also, A revisit to Heavenly Sword would be nice. That game was amazing. Even giving it this treatment would be welcomed to me. The Kai moments with the motion controls is one of my favorite PS3 gaming moments. It was really fun controlling the arrows.

+ marik_azemus34 on December 15th, 2014 at 9:06 am said:

I thoroughly enjoyed DmC, but it was the lack of these features that kept it from being genuinely great. I’m glad these guys are incorporating what people want. I can’t remember the last time a game developer used mods! That’s wonderful of them. It’s admirable that these guys are addressing concerns while remaining true to their artistic vision.

I hope this re-release, as well as DMC4’s, indicates a future DMC game for the PS4 and Xbox One.

+ Kiro_Uraya on December 15th, 2014 at 9:08 am said:

@4 yuricloud3

You DO know that Capcom confirmed DMC5 already, don’t you? Just wait a few more months.

+ kingdomkiller3 on December 15th, 2014 at 9:08 am said:

Oh yes im getting this but why the same day as FF Type-0 ahhhhhhhh

+ guyminsberghe on December 15th, 2014 at 9:10 am said:

OOOOOH GREAT!!! These last weeks, I am so happy to have a ps4!

+ saiyanknight87 on December 15th, 2014 at 9:15 am said:

Sony just bring back powerstone, rival schools and tech romancer if you can’t buy capcom i mean c’mon son!

+ Staufway on December 15th, 2014 at 9:15 am said:

Huh? DMC4 is come to PS4 as well? Source?

+ CutiePie232 on December 15th, 2014 at 9:18 am said:

This game sucked.if you bring the real old Dante and game style you capcom wpuld have got more money sonce this is all you Care about

PAGE 1 2 3 4