PlayStation Vue

Jan 01

bloghome_ps_hires

A Holiday Thank You

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by on Jan 01, 2015 // SVP, PlayStation Network

Hi Everyone,

Happy New Year! Since access to PlayStation Network was impacted during the holidays, we wanted to show our appreciation for your patience by offering all PlayStation Plus members that had an active membership or free trial on December 25th a membership extension of five days. The extension will be automatically applied, so no action is necessary to receive the extension. We will post additional information here on PlayStation.Blog when the extension becomes available. If your membership or trial ends before the extension is available, you will receive five days of Plus to enjoy once the extension becomes available (we will notify you when).

In addition, sometime this month we will announce that for a limited time, we will be offering a 10 percent discount code good for a one-time discount off a total cart purchase in the PlayStation Store as a thank you to all PSN members.

This discount can be used toward content available on PS Store including blockbuster new releases, award winning indie games, game add-ons and season passes, and an enormous selection of TV and Movies.

In case you missed it, click here to read about all the great games included in the January 2015 PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection lineup.

Thanks again to all our loyal PlayStation fans and welcome to our newest console owners. Wishing you all a very happy holiday.

1,011 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 21

+ InfectedGYPSY on January 1st, 2015 at 9:02 am said:

Wonder if that can be stacked with an existing sale.

+ testbrit on January 1st, 2015 at 9:03 am said:

Nice. Thank you!

+ ICE_KOLD_KILLA92 on January 1st, 2015 at 9:03 am said:

Awesome! Thanks! I got a code for my UK account last month in an email.

+ Butters360 on January 1st, 2015 at 9:03 am said:

Thanks!

+ cRniiLabud on January 1st, 2015 at 9:04 am said:

have you no shame?? disgraceful but it’s funny how the masses will praise this useless gesture, one can receive a bigger discount by searching the internet for coupon codes 10% you are a joke Sony.

You deserve what you got.

+ Britta7x5 on January 1st, 2015 at 9:05 am said:

Oh nice! Thank you PlayStation! <3

+ SuMizzle on January 1st, 2015 at 9:05 am said:

Nice gesture. *queues the cries of “I wanted a beach house! You suck!” by the kiddies*

+ jabman025 on January 1st, 2015 at 9:06 am said:

thanks, and thank the team for their hard work, I doubt their ideal of great Christmas vacation was coming in to fix a messed up psn

+ BenSanborn on January 1st, 2015 at 9:07 am said:

Thank you Lord Sony.

Now please, take what you learned from this DDOS and make sure it never happens again.

+ GasTankKiller on January 1st, 2015 at 9:08 am said:

Nice. I’m done with 5 days being add. The 10% off everything in the cart is pretty solid.

+ fadingshadow on January 1st, 2015 at 9:09 am said:

I was hoping, more or so, that we would get a selection of free games to keep.

I know PlayStation Plus already does this but they’re not permanent unless you have a PS+ membership.

With that said, it’s understandable that no free games will be given this time around.

I appreciate the extended PlayStation Plus membership and the 10% discount but, as a loyal customer, it could’ve been much better.

Thank you nonetheless. Happy New Year! ^,..,^

+ opikal on January 1st, 2015 at 9:11 am said:

Neat!

+ bt1234567892010 on January 1st, 2015 at 9:11 am said:

@11 it was only about a week down, if it were a month like the last time when the PSN was actually hacked, maybe. But like you said, it’s understandable.

Anyway, 5 days of plus and the discount’s nice, I’m out of money after getting stuff on Steam so I doubt it’ll be useful, still, it’s a nice gesture.

+ XxTigerheartxX on January 1st, 2015 at 9:13 am said:

@5 Quit being an entitled little kid. PSN was out for 3 days and they’re offering 5 days of plus to all members. That’s more then enough compensation, plus on top of that they’re giving us a discount code that works on everything. Be happy you’re getting something cause they didn’t have to compensate for anything.

+ KazeEternal on January 1st, 2015 at 9:14 am said:

@Eric Lempel
I wish your holidays hadn’t been ruined by the antics of a handful of individuals who clearly are acting on impulse for no reason, regardless of their claims. Thank the team for working so diligently to get PSN back up and running.

However. Eric, My subscription to PS+ goes clear into 2018 and perhaps longer…. I don’t think 5 days really means a whole hell of a lot to me. I wasn’t expecting anything, but giving me 5 days seems a little half hearted. Like “here are the days you missed”, instead of “we’re sorry, have another month on us”. Just something to consider for the individuals out there who aren’t as ardent as myself about being PSN. Naturally i’m referring to PS4 owners and not PS3 and Vita owners who get their online for free.

+ Fuzzypaws on January 1st, 2015 at 9:14 am said:

Oh course this comes out two days after I plunk down 60 bucks for a couple games.

+ drtdgr2 on January 1st, 2015 at 9:16 am said:

Not sure what some of you were expecting. Given the amount of time it was down it was a perfect amount of compensation. The 5 added days of plus isn’t usefull to me since I just go with a yearly membership and already have one setup to continue into next year but I can definitely see how nice that’d be for others. And the 10% discount on a TOTAL CART? That’s awesome! I can’t wait to use that! I know how hard these guys worked to get PSN back up for us so I thank them! Happy new year!

+ FifthDream on January 1st, 2015 at 9:16 am said:

Awesome! Thanks, guys!

+ imperiumSG on January 1st, 2015 at 9:18 am said:

Thank you. Happy holidays.

+ Thunder_Hokie on January 1st, 2015 at 9:19 am said:

This is exactly the right move. Essentially prorating our subscriptions for the lost time. Thank you!

+ billyok on January 1st, 2015 at 9:19 am said:

In before the self-entitled generation starts whining that they deserve 10 free games and 30 free days because the service was down a whole four days. Oops, too late.

+ olidans2002 on January 1st, 2015 at 9:20 am said:

So what about the people who got them as presents for Christmas and couldn’t log in?? We aren’t going to get anything but had the same issues!!!!

+ Malbeuf on January 1st, 2015 at 9:21 am said:

Thank you!

Stay classy PSN.

+ oooaznkid on January 1st, 2015 at 9:22 am said:

I wasn’t expecting any compensation period! So this is a great gesture by SONY, since they didn’t have to… I will end by saying “Thank you, SONY!”

+ bluesstorie on January 1st, 2015 at 9:23 am said:

That’s real fair. How about us plus member who couldn’t sign up because the network was down. I receive a PS4 for Xmas and can’t do anything for 3 days. However 10% I’d a pretty good deal.

+ Crazy-Maisy on January 1st, 2015 at 9:24 am said:

Thank you so much! I am very glad to hear about this 5-day PS+ extension for those who feel they should be compensated, and on the other hand, those like me who are not complaining, but grateful for this offering to us.

The %10 off shopping cart deal will be awesome as well! That goes well above and beyond what y’all could have done. :)

+ Rike255 on January 1st, 2015 at 9:24 am said:

A very nice gesture, thank you Sony!

+ alan1for on January 1st, 2015 at 9:25 am said:

Considering psn was down for 3 days and cost each person the equivalent of 33p or 39 cents out of their subscription I’d say that was a pretty damn good gesture. If people aren’t happy about it then maybe xbox or wii would be a better console for them, they are after all more child orientated.

+ oooaznkid on January 1st, 2015 at 9:25 am said:

I was not expecting any compensation from SONY whatsoever… This is a nice gesture from SONY, but its nice to see SONY listens to what the customer is suggesting… I will end by saying “Thank you, SONY!”

+ KANE-FIRE on January 1st, 2015 at 9:31 am said:

I was not expecting a compensation, but thanks.

+ King_Bobul8r on January 1st, 2015 at 9:32 am said:

Ohh Thanks Sony!! =)

+ Provoked_Door on January 1st, 2015 at 9:32 am said:

Thanks sony, cant wait to see what memories we make with you guys this upcoming year. Happy gaming everyone! :)

+ yellowdrops on January 1st, 2015 at 9:32 am said:

#15 KazeEternal

You, sir, understood exactly what business mean and probably deserve NOT ONE, BUT TWO cookies!

+ Elvick_ on January 1st, 2015 at 9:34 am said:

Kind of disappointed you’re caving to the entitlement generation. It wasn’t your fault, and you shouldn’t feel obligated to do anything.

@5: People like you are who I’m talking about. The worth of the down time is about 40 cents, give or take a few. Extending our PS+ membership 5 days already removes the issue. And no everyone was even affected all 5 days to begin with. And not everyone is even paying for online anyway, so those people get a 10% discount just ’cause.

Not sure what you were expecting, although given how unreasonable some people are I’d imagine you wanted Uncharted 4 for free.

+ bluVekrom9 on January 1st, 2015 at 9:34 am said:

Thanks sony!:)

+ AirMaxPenny on January 1st, 2015 at 9:37 am said:

This is nice and all, however waiting for the current sales to end before offering the 10% off is shady. Sales today are better than the 10% will grant when you decide to give it to us. It makes the sale irrelevant.

+ ponyohearts on January 1st, 2015 at 9:37 am said:

Appreciate the offer. Hacks happen.. what can you do? Thanks for acknowledging it.

+ deadmantom on January 1st, 2015 at 9:38 am said:

thanks for taking care of your community playstation

+ steeler192 on January 1st, 2015 at 9:38 am said:

Thank you very much, Sony!

+ TheCraZyCloWn on January 1st, 2015 at 9:40 am said:

+ GoldenShaka on January 1st, 2015 at 9:42 am said:

Thanks for the 10%, but do you know what would be great? 10% off for ps+ members in Flash sales. :)
Have a wonderful year.

+ Mwindaji on January 1st, 2015 at 9:43 am said:

Thats a good move Sony. Thanks.

+ bigdaddyzews on January 1st, 2015 at 9:44 am said:

Is there any way for me to actually be refunded or to receive something in compensation? I received a PS4 and bought 1 year PS Plus subscription on 12/25/13. I have limited number of days off of work, a few of which are only around Christmas, which I expected to be able to game on and since I was not able to, was actually major disappointment. I see you offered a ‘free’ 5 day extension jut since it is 1/1/15 that extension is over. I purchased all my new playstation items black Friday and they were still cheaper the your ‘10% off’… where is my compensation? Completely down for my time off and I have no need and cannot even use your’ compensatuon’ I was hoping you’d actually reward faithful users but Xbox looking a lot more tempting after you make system owners pay for online and continue to have poor service and network outages multiple times year

+ AOISHI_YAGAMI on January 1st, 2015 at 9:45 am said:

Happy 2015!!

+ HACK7668 on January 1st, 2015 at 9:46 am said:

its good they replaced the days it was down but the people that had to set and look at a $450 paper weight for 3-5 days probably don’t think so and 10% off you can buy games cheaper anywhere time to buy alienware alpha

+ David23459 on January 1st, 2015 at 9:51 am said:

+ fransoas on January 1st, 2015 at 9:51 am said:

+ Elvick_ on January 1st, 2015 at 9:51 am said:

@43: Xbox Live went down too… and you’re getting compensation. Not sure what you just read, but I suggest re-reading it because clearly you have issues retaining information.

+ earth_inheritor on January 1st, 2015 at 9:51 am said:

Thank you sony much appreciated..and to all the people *****ing shut up. DDoS are hard to defede agaisnt look it up. They do damange to governemtns even they have a hard time defending against it. Yes there are preps to take and software that can help fight agaisnt it but even those arnt full proof especially on a server this size.

The only thing I will say is being down for 3 days was a little excesisive as DDoS attacks only usually take a server downnfor a few hours or a day so that did seem a little odd

And one comment to sony would be..why did you extend thebsales but have no new one thag didnt really seem fair.

But other than that..say thank you an move on…everyone thinks they are so damn entitled

+ ClinToN on January 1st, 2015 at 9:52 am said:

@43 Don’t’ be ridiculous. You’re not getting anything more than you deserve which is what this compensation is all about.

PAGE 1 2 3 21