Days Gone

Jan 16

destiny (1)

PlayStation Store: The Top Sellers of 2014

Justin Massongill's Avatar Posted by on Jan 16, 2015 // Social Media Manager, SIEA

I know we usually keep these posts to one per month, but we figured some folks might want to know what PlayStation Store’s top sellers for the whole year looked like. So, behold!

PS4 Games
8 Legend of Dragoon
9 Final Fantasy VII
10 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

62 Comments   1 Reply

PAGE 1 2

+ DanteMerfi on January 16th, 2015 at 7:03 am said:

SAO the best selling Vita title of the year? That’s amazing.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on January 16th, 2015 at 2:11 pm said:

Yeah, I didn’t see that one coming!

+ Thermopyle2 on January 16th, 2015 at 7:09 am said:

I guess PS Classics sales are going to start dropping off as more people migrate to PS4 and don’t have a way to play the classics anymore.

+ DJ_Tomato on January 16th, 2015 at 7:09 am said:

Sup Justin!

Where are PSM top sales?

As player and developer i care a lot about them

please consider adding them in the following posts

Regards :D!

+ LarsenNET on January 16th, 2015 at 7:13 am said:

The Crash & Spyro games are 5 of the top selling PS Classics and still not playable on the Vita.

+ Dragonslayer_023 on January 16th, 2015 at 7:15 am said:

I’m guessing that a lot of those Vita games are in the top 10 because they were deeply discounted at some point. Vita sales really work.

+ ExCape96 on January 16th, 2015 at 7:16 am said:

Not really surprised SAO was the top selling PSN game on vita. My understanding that all the other games (excluding Terraria) are also physical. Not to say it doesn’t make me happy to see a JRPG get the top spot so we can dispell this belief that JRPGs don’t sell in the west.

+ andyscout on January 16th, 2015 at 7:17 am said:

@3: I’m sure the whole 10 PSM sales make it statistically irrelevant which one sold the most. :^)

+ Patsrule0316 on January 16th, 2015 at 7:19 am said:

I was really surprised to see Need for Speed: Most Wanted in the top 10 for 2014 PS3 and Vita games. Didn’t that come out in 2012? (I don’t have a PS3, but I have a vita and PS4). Congrats to Destiny. I put more time into it than any game in 2014.

+ yentair on January 16th, 2015 at 7:21 am said:

Wow, my taste in games is wildly different from the masses.
I didn’t play a single game on the PS3 or Vita top 10 lists.
Here’s to hoping for a better year in 2015!
Happy New Year everyone!

+ mathcachaille on January 16th, 2015 at 7:25 am said:

How the hell did Need For Speed Most Wanted manage to get in the top selling games of 2014 ?

+ BlueBl1zzard on January 16th, 2015 at 7:25 am said:

Wow, I didn’t expect SAO to take top spot on the Vita list considering it came out in the latter half of the year, but like comment #6 says, it being digital only probably has something to do with it.

Anyway, I’d say 2014 was mighty fine year for games. Let’s see if 2015 can follow it up!

+ Belal_Darjy on January 16th, 2015 at 7:26 am said:

@ Patsrule0316 it was free this year …

+ Patsrule0316 on January 16th, 2015 at 7:34 am said:

@Belal_Darjy, so were Bioshock Infinite, and Tomb Raider among many others that didn’t make the list. I liked Need for Speed: MW, not knocking it, but really surprised/confused how even if it was free that it would have made it to the top 10.

+ ossiecastro5 on January 16th, 2015 at 7:37 am said:

I’m glad to see Tokyo Jungle up there on the PS3 side, a really pleasant and enjoyable game this was. Hopefully a sequel or remake will be considered for the PS4.

+ urubublue on January 16th, 2015 at 7:40 am said:

Sony, it’s time to bring back Crash Bandicoot to Vita, look at the sales. A collection will be amazing!

+ TwinDad on January 16th, 2015 at 7:44 am said:

@Belal_Darjy,

PS+ “free” games do not show on the Sales Charts. This is money changing hands purchases, so it did it with sales. I think at one point the game was $5 on the Vita.

@yentair

Me too. The only list of which I have played a game is on the PS Classics.

+ Krillinfan on January 16th, 2015 at 7:44 am said:

Freedom Wars didn’t make the cut but SAO did.

This disappoints me on levels you can’t even begin to imagine.

+ Roaming_Ryu on January 16th, 2015 at 7:46 am said:

Legend of Dragoon for PS Classics! YEEEEEAAAHHHH!!!!!! *cheers*

+ Phoenix_Law on January 16th, 2015 at 7:57 am said:

It’s good to see The Legend of Dragoon constantly in top 10 PSOne classics. There’s clearly an audience there seeing that. Sony, make a new game and officially make it a series! Also, can we get Legend of Legaia on PSN as well? It says you guys own the IP so the legal problems shouldn’t even be an issue.

+ Belal_Darjy on January 16th, 2015 at 8:01 am said:

@ TwinDad @ Patsrule0316 it wasn’t ps+ free game is was a gift from EA for limited time , but don’t know maybe they forgot to count it as free game … or maybe it sold good before that :)

+ remanutd5 on January 16th, 2015 at 8:05 am said:

I’m glad to see Killzone Mercenary among the best selling vita games, i hope Guerrilla Cambridge is already hard at work developing the next fps vita title.

+ honkayjeezus on January 16th, 2015 at 8:18 am said:

How did Driveclub PS Plus Edition sell?

+ oversevethousand on January 16th, 2015 at 8:31 am said:

I’m willing to bet a huge boost on a lot of those PS Classics came during that one flash sale and again during that brief window when they were playable on Vita.

See what good will like that does, Sony? Wink wink!

+ Zepherj on January 16th, 2015 at 8:40 am said:

It’s amazing to see that, despite all the negative commentary on ‘only indie games on PlayStation’, the top selling games for all three platforms are comprised of AAA titles almost exclusively. Very interesting to say the least and I can’t wait for more titles in this coming year!

+ Kid_Loser on January 16th, 2015 at 8:41 am said:

Gonna have to do most PSNow streamed game this year.

Also, need to add Resonance of Fate to PSNow

+ nintenscoii on January 16th, 2015 at 8:45 am said:

To people asking about Need for Speed Most Wanted, it was completely free for a day from EA, no PS Plus required. That is why I downloaded it. If that freebie day is included, then it is pretty clear why that made the list. EA gave away one free game on each of Sony’s systems back in December as a celebration of 20 years of PlayStation.

+ jason_redemption on January 16th, 2015 at 12:04 pm said:

I think because NFS:MW was free with or without PS+ is why it made the top sales lists. Plus it’s a pretty sweet game on both teh PS3 and the Vita.

+ AizawaYuuichi on January 16th, 2015 at 12:12 pm said:

@ nintenscoii: Considering the other two games they gave away that day (Mirror’s Edge on PS3 and PvZ:GW on PS4) aren’t on either of their respective Top 10 lists, TwinDad would be correct. Only sales where money exchanged hands are counted towards these lists. So lots of people actually bought NfS:MW for the Vita at some point throughout 2014 for it to make the list.

But hey, congrats to Bungie on fooling so many people into buying Destiny, before we realized the immense bait and switch they pulled on us. The majority of my clan is planning to end support for the game once our Expansion Passes run out, unless Bungie steps up their game and gives us a real reason to keep playing. Making our current gear obsolete every time an expansion comes out is not the way to do it.

And a real congrats to every other game that made the Top 10 lists.

+ JSEVERITT on January 16th, 2015 at 1:03 pm said:

If that Classics list isn’t proof that people want a new Crash Bandicoot game, I don’t know what is!

+ Nerroth on January 16th, 2015 at 1:37 pm said:

With Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment topping the Vita poll for 2014 (though it only finished at #10 on the EU charts), I wonder if, by this time next year, we may be talking about SAO: Lost Song matching that result for 2015.

Assuming Bandai Namco in North America and Europe get around to announcing that game for a Western localization, that is…

+ Mando44646 on January 16th, 2015 at 1:40 pm said:

Wow look at all those NON-INDIES that were the bestsellers on Vita. That says something about what us Vita gamers want, right? Indies are nice but NOT WHY WE OWN A DEDICATED GAMING HANDHELD

+ maxcoronel2014 on January 16th, 2015 at 2:12 pm said:

PS2 Classics on PS Vita NEEDS to happen (And Im not talking about PS Now stuff).
Agree with @Mando44646 . We need more AAA stuff on the handheld (And believe me, I love indies too).

+ Tjoeb123 on January 16th, 2015 at 2:14 pm said:

Is SAO:HF really that good? You know, good enough for people to forgive the translation issues (and the X/O button swapping for menus)?

+ RoD_GX on January 16th, 2015 at 2:20 pm said:

I find it sad that Killzone: Mercenaries has been the very first PS Vita game to outsell the others for years and yet the Guerrilla Team only comes to the blog to celebrate one more year and give the present… to the console gamers.
Clearly a sign of how ungrateful these guys are and how stupid sony is for treating us like trash.
We love to play Killzone: Mercenaries on the Vita while the ps4 gamers don’t give a **** to Shadowfall and yet they are the ones to get the attention.
Quite frankly, sony deserves to get their arsses ***** by Nintendo. There’s no proprietary bull**** pushed by the Big N, their gamers get all the support they can ask for, the company does not make an effort to hide their own handheld like they were ashamed of it, there’s no LAZY “Vita evangelist” like shahid kamal and hypocrite people like shuhei yoshida and andrew house to troll the mobile gaming community. It all comes down to what I said before, the more you Love your Vita, the more you Hate sony.
It’s about time this company is OUT of the mobile gaming market.

+ RoD_GX on January 16th, 2015 at 2:21 pm said:

We love to play Killzone: Mercenaries on the Vita while the ps4 gamers don’t give a sh** to Shadowfall and yet they are the ones to get the attention.
Quite frankly, sony deserves to get owned by Nintendo. There’s no proprietary BS pushed by the Big N, their gamers get all the support they can ask for, the company does not make an effort to hide their own handheld like they were ashamed of it, there’s no LAZY “Vita evangelist” like shahid kamal and hypocrite people like shuhei yoshida and andrew house to troll the mobile gaming community. It all comes down to what I said before, the more you Love your Vita, the more you Hate sony.
It’s about time this company is OUT of the mobile gaming market.

+ SNORLAXex on January 16th, 2015 at 5:48 pm said:

Crash Bandicoot sold so much, and you still can’t play it on the Vita.

Dear Sony, please update the compatibility for Vita.

+ RestaFinn on January 16th, 2015 at 6:35 pm said:

Minecraft PS4 is number 4? i didnt know that fast for that game

+ Peerinward on January 16th, 2015 at 7:09 pm said:

I can’t seem to find San Andreas on the store. Was it taken down?

+ KBG29 on January 16th, 2015 at 7:22 pm said:

It is nice to see these lists, and know what shape the community is taking with what games are topping the charts. However, I would also like to see just how well the PlayStation Store is doing relitive to retail.

It was nice seeing the statement when Destiny launched about it being the biggest week in PSS history. I would love to see more info on this type of stuff. Something like;

PlayStation Store accounted for X% of all software on Playstation Platforms.

Or

X% of (exp. Game) sales came from digital copies.

+ thegodofgreen on January 16th, 2015 at 7:46 pm said:

bring ps1 / 2 classics to ps4 without ps now, or make new twisted metals and crash… want fun again.

+ Monterossa on January 16th, 2015 at 8:38 pm said:

Good lord… SAO outsold Minecraft and they were too scared to release it physically.

+ Ow_Meer on January 17th, 2015 at 5:04 am said:

If I remember correctly SAO sold ~500k worldwide.
If it is the best selling game, then no Vita game has sold more than 500K copies this year.
Meawhile popular 3DS games like Pokemom, Yokai Watch and Smash Bros all sold more than 1M copies.
I didn’t write this to mock the Vita. I love my Vita and hate the 3DS, in fact I wish for Nintendo a fate worse than Sega’s.
I want for Sony to invest more on the PS Vita brand, give us something that can beat Pokemon!
I know that right now it’s important to put PS4 on the spotlight, but if this keeps up Vita won’t last 2 more years… :(

+ hotflame3 on January 17th, 2015 at 6:12 am said:

Thats right destiny is the most sold game on ps4 that means a lot of people like it

+ Shinjinian on January 17th, 2015 at 9:38 am said:

Sony take notice of Legend of the Dragoon’s popularity and give us the sequel that got canceled or least give US an HD remaster.

+ onslaughtree on January 17th, 2015 at 11:03 am said:

@#4 …Don’t know bout you, but I’ve been playing ALL of the Crash games on my Vita ever since it launched……..

+ Wingman_SRK on January 17th, 2015 at 3:37 pm said:

All the Crash Bandicoot games, Spyro, and I think Legend of Dragoon all went on sale for 99 cents this year. Not Suprised to see the sales so high on all of those titles. I bought them all this year, that’s for sure.

+ Toe_Tag_ on January 17th, 2015 at 9:27 pm said:

I bet if you guys didn’t turn off the socom servers those sales would make the list.

+ MattDanam on January 18th, 2015 at 10:36 am said:

Hmmmm the whole Naughty Dog Crash Bandicoot series on the PS1 in the top 10 best-selling Classics, along with Spyro the Dragon. Yet still no compatibility support for these games on the PlayStation Vita. The amount of money Sony could be making on this is unbelievable. Listen to the fans, Sony.

+ tigown on January 18th, 2015 at 12:33 pm said:

Where is GTA: San Andreas?

+ C-OD-MW on January 18th, 2015 at 5:42 pm said:

dear guerrilla Cambridge: plz make sequel/prequel to killzone mercenary

PAGE 1 2