PlayStation Vue

Jan 23

lifeisstrange

Life is Strange: How to Rewind Time

Luc Baghadoust's Avatar Posted by on Jan 23, 2015 // Producer, Life Is Strange

Hello from all of the DONTNOD development team. :)

We’re still hard at work at the studio but would like to share the second Life is Strange Dev Diary for you to see more of the game we’ve been creating here in Paris.

This second video from the three part series is called The Butterfly Effect, and it explains everything you need to know about Max’s ability to rewind time — including how the concept originated and exactly how rewinding time in Life is Strange works.

If you want to ask us any questions about the game we’re hosting a Reddit AMA on Tuesday, January 27th at 6:00am Pacific / 2:00pm UK time. Hope to see you there!

Thanks for all the support and kind comments so far. The first episode is being released in just 7 days and counting, the wait for Life is Strange is almost over and we can’t wait to hear what you think.

35 Comments

+ fudgenasty21 on January 23rd, 2015 at 5:07 am said:

and of course i can’t use the 10% off code on this game, which is the only thing I’m buying from psn for a while, screw you sony

+ BarryBallache on January 23rd, 2015 at 5:11 am said:

Yeah screw you Sony for giving us 10% off for something that wasnt your fault and for bringing this game to my preferred platform so I can enjoy it. And screw you for givng me free ps plus games in addition to the service I subscribe to as well. In fact, screw you for letting me have such a wide ranging choice of excellent games to choose from too.

Or you know, sarcasm.

+ bedatguy on January 23rd, 2015 at 5:12 am said:

I can’t to see how this game works and plays!! Definitely gonna buy a season pass. :)

+ dkarlowicz10 on January 23rd, 2015 at 5:13 am said:

Wow. I never heard of this game until now, it looks amazing. I am very much interested and can’t wait for it.

+ Tigercml on January 23rd, 2015 at 5:17 am said:

Will this game be available for preorder and preload on Tuesday or will it be added to the PSN store on Friday the 30th? I hope we don’t have to wait until the PSN store updates on Tuesday Feb 3rd to buy the game. Regardless I look forward to playing. The game looks great. Keep up the good work. And I can’t wait to hear more about Vampyre.

+ bedatguy on January 23rd, 2015 at 5:30 am said:

@Tigercml They tweeted it would be out on the 30th, no preorders on console tho. We just don’t know what time it’ll be live.

+ phoenixkissme_PA on January 23rd, 2015 at 5:39 am said:

Stop posting these kind of stuff, just post the 10% discount code, JP PlayStation already posted the discount code even on their store

+ chavez1138 on January 23rd, 2015 at 6:00 am said:

@7 this is a post from Luc Baghadoust (the producer of this game), this is not the place to complain about the discount.

+ chavez1138 on January 23rd, 2015 at 6:01 am said:

any news about a season pass and price?

+ billyok on January 23rd, 2015 at 6:06 am said:

Very much looking forward to this. I loved Remember Me so I have no qualms about picking this up next week.

Sorry about all the overgrown manchildren in the comments.

+ saab01 on January 23rd, 2015 at 6:11 am said:

Looks like a nice game will definantly give it a go once it releases. I like the idea of rewinding time and changing the past while playing the game.

+ rhinosana on January 23rd, 2015 at 6:20 am said:

It reminds me of Time Travelers, which I played on PSP, I quite enjoyed the story! looking forward to playing this one.

+ Bellalara on January 23rd, 2015 at 6:24 am said:

So much people mad about the 10% discount o: This game looks great though :)

+ opikal on January 23rd, 2015 at 6:56 am said:

Worth the $4.99 gamble I’m sure.

+ chavez1138 on January 23rd, 2015 at 7:06 am said:

ok, so this is the way they are doing it:

$4.99 – Life is Strange Episode 1
$16.99 – Life is Strange Season Pass (Episodes 2-5)
$19.99 – Life is Strange Complete Season (Episodes 1-5)

I’m going to wait for reviews of episode 1 and hopefully buy the Season Pass (1-5)

+ italodancemp3 on January 23rd, 2015 at 7:16 am said:

Life is Strange Must come to PS Vita, what a pity the producers wanna ignore it,

+ The_Codefinder on January 23rd, 2015 at 7:58 am said:

I never knew about this game until recently Video Games Awesome (youtube / farfromsubtle) showed off the latest trailer in their Show & Trailer episode. Looks pretty intriguing!

+ KidGreengene on January 23rd, 2015 at 8:04 am said:

@13.. To me, the people that are bothered because now rather than using the code on a game they genuinely wanted, they now need to either not use it or to use it on a game they weren’t intending to get right now. I think they have a point as it is a let down.
To me, it was a missed opportunity. I don’t believe in pre-ordering anymore but I was going to pre-order The Order with this to save the $6. Now I simply won’t use my 10% off as I don’t want anything that is out right now and I will wait on reviews and then possibly a price drop. No worries or anger, though. I got 99 problems but First World ain’t one :)

+ RICARDwO on January 23rd, 2015 at 8:41 am said:

Where are the codes of American PSN discounts ?

+ PanTheMan16 on January 23rd, 2015 at 9:34 am said:

This looks really nice. If today is any indication, with Life is Strange and Silence, 2015 is going to be an amazing year for gaming.

+ pretty_senshi on January 23rd, 2015 at 9:47 am said:

I’m so excited for Life is Strange. Remember Me is one of my favorite games on the Ps3 and I can’t wait to see what DONTNOD will do with this game. I’ll definitely be picking up the complete season…

and if you release a physical disc, I’ll be picking that up as well. Thank you again.

p.s. if any devs read this: I know it’s just kind of a little detail, but I want to say thank you for Nilin. I have the same skin color as her and it wasn’t until after I beat the game that I realized how much something small like that affected me. It felt very nice, and I was happy in a way I didn’t think I could be in a video game.

I hope Life is Strange is a great success for you.

+ MakoSoul on January 23rd, 2015 at 11:25 am said:

I was hoping for a Season Pass pre-order. I pre-ordered Remember Me to support Dontnod, and I want to do the same here.

Let us pre-order!

+ Figboy on January 23rd, 2015 at 11:32 am said:

I also loved Remember Me, and I’m really interested in this one. Speaking of Remember Me, man, it’d be great to get a PS4 Definitive Edition one day…hint hint…

+ whereymyconary on January 23rd, 2015 at 1:11 pm said:

I’m really interested, remember me was a really neat game with some massive faults. But I think a more adventure game style structure it work a lot better for this development team. Waiting till reviews can’t stand the episodic system, I’ll wait till they are all released to get it. Don’t like waiting. I grew up on Netflix.

+ The_Zombanana on January 23rd, 2015 at 1:25 pm said:

This looks really interesting!! Especially b/c Remember Me is one of my all time favorites when it comes to the setting/story and writing in general, and a lot of the non-combat features were amazing. So this type of game instead looks like it’ll be all-around amazing.

+ Xerxes-9000 on January 24th, 2015 at 2:06 am said:

Really enjoyed Remember Me (but I found the time rewinding sequences tedious) so I will keep my eye on this game.

+ OmniYobni on January 24th, 2015 at 3:58 am said:

Wow, this game not even about killing someone, that’s a good start! Looking forward to this one!

+ Strangeheaven on January 24th, 2015 at 5:23 am said:

This game looks like it was made for early ps3 years I cant believe this is a ps4 game. The character models look very bad,just look at that hair! It’s something you would expect from a lego game. Camera also looks very wonky.

Passing on this defo.

+ GamingwithADD on January 24th, 2015 at 6:01 am said:

Well #28 You’re definitely entitled to your opinion. Hopefully one day you won’t revere graphics as the #1 selling point in a game.

I should also mention that this is for PS3 and xbox 360(as well as one) so yes you are probably seeing last generation graphics. So what. Shame you are ready to just abandon everything about the PS3 straight away.

+ Crosaith on January 24th, 2015 at 7:01 am said:

Looks pretty awesome. It sucks that your forced to play as a woman though. :/

+ Gumbydunzeeto on January 24th, 2015 at 9:35 am said:

No disc, no sale.

+ XOX010XOX on January 25th, 2015 at 2:39 pm said:

This looks pretty neat. Thanks, Luc, for sharing a developer’s perspective.

+ Eliphaz on January 26th, 2015 at 3:47 pm said:

Looks amazing my girlfriend i s even excited about this 1. Don’t nod thanks for the diary dev diarys rok, you guys are awsome.

+ Notserp2814 on January 27th, 2015 at 10:00 pm said:

I’ll definitely pick this up. It’s nice to see new fresh games come out instead of the endless FPS and zombie/horror games as of late.

I’m very tempted to just play through once from start to end without reversing time and beat the game that way. Then start over and let myself rewind time when I want.

I’ll also be interested if there is a “perfect” ending to this where everyone wins and is happy at the end since it’s dealing with actions and consequences.

+ slim5219 on February 20th, 2015 at 9:25 am said: