Uncharted 4

Jan 28

badlands

Badland: Game of the Year Edition Coming to PS4, PS3, Vita

badlands

Teemu Mäki-Patola's Avatar Posted by on Jan 28, 2015 // Frogmind

Hi everyone! This is Teemu from Frogmind. I hope everyones’ 2015 is off to an awesome start. I’m excited to be able to reach out to you and tell you about our plans to bring our award-winning action adventure game, Badland, to PS4, PS3, and PS Vita this spring with Badland: Game of the Year Edition.

Badland was initially released in 2013 on tablet. It got a brilliant reception and has won numerous awards. Most important of all, it has been received heart-warmingly well by the gamers who play it.

Our original goal in making Badland was to create a console quality game for tablets. Back then we were a team of two with too few resources to enter the console market. But we hoped to bring Badland here. Luckily, it did well and we can finally make this dream a reality. We’ve also got many requests for a PlayStation version from our fans. It’s great to finally be able to say that it’s coming soon.

Badland is a unique mix of innovative physics-based gameplay, creative level design, power-ups — from cloning to growing to slowing down time — and stunning, atmospheric graphics and audio. It’s set in a beautiful forest with an ominous undertone. You control a flying creature, Clony, to find out what’s going on, and discover an astonishing number of imaginative traps, puzzles, and obstacles on the way.

Badland Game of the Year Edition on PS4, PS3 and VitaBadland Game of the Year Edition on PS4, PS3 and Vita

We wanted the game to be perfect on PlayStation platforms. The PS version builds on the atmospheric, hand-painted graphics of the original with enhanced, full-HD visuals. We put a lot of focus on delivering the best possible gameplay. The controls have been expanded for the analog stick and triggers and feel very natural. You can now fly backwards and control the speed of your flying, which was a change that required us to carefully modify all levels of the game to accommodate.

Badland: Game of Year Edition features four times more content than the original did at launch. It has 100 single-player levels that take around 15 hours to complete. And it has another 100 co-op and 27 multiplayer deathmatch stages in an awesome up-to-four-person local multiplayer mode. The PlayStation versions have Trophies, as well as cross buy and cross save functionality. So not only can you continue your progress on your Vita after playing on your PS4, but you also need to pay only once to get it for them.

Badland Game of the Year Edition on PS4, PS3 and Vita

Badland will launch this spring. We’ll be back on PlayStation.Blog to talk more about the game and reveal the exact launch date. So, if you’re into beautiful, atmospheric action adventures, or just want to try something unique, keep an eye out for this!

I’ll be more than happy to answer any questions in the comments below!

+ Ryan Clements on January 28th, 2015 at 5:01 pm said:

Woooo! Teemuuuuuu!!!!!

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on January 28th, 2015 at 6:25 pm said:

Hey Ryan! Wassup? It’s a fresh 4:24 am in Finland. But had to come and see what you guys think of the news. :)

+ paulogy on January 28th, 2015 at 5:14 pm said:

Co-op + Vita + cross-buy + cross-save = major win!!!

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on January 28th, 2015 at 7:11 pm said:

Thanks paulogy! All good features made possible by the PS system. Feels good to be able to support them.

+ gerneric123 on January 28th, 2015 at 5:14 pm said:

Nice to here that at least something is coming to Vita today.

+ Spitfire_Zero_ on January 28th, 2015 at 5:17 pm said:

Have you guys decided on a price point yet?

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on January 28th, 2015 at 6:30 pm said:

We have a pretty good feeling what it should be but will announce the price only next time together with the exact launch date.

+ D4v33d05 on January 28th, 2015 at 5:17 pm said:

February IGC, where is it? :P

+ EthanielRain on January 28th, 2015 at 5:29 pm said:

Heard good things about this game, look forward to it :)

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on January 28th, 2015 at 6:33 pm said:

Thanks EthanielRain! Great to hear. I don’t think you will be disappointed. It plays well and looks great from a big tv. :)

+ RetroDaddySlim on January 28th, 2015 at 5:51 pm said:

Game looks awesome! Love this type of games, closer to old school type, 2D with great visuals, action puzzle scrollers, etc…
Grabbing this on day 1 with my PS3.
As it is crossbuy, it will be waiting for my future PS4 console coming at the end of this year.

I notice you mention cross-save between Vita and PS4. Does the game features cross-save between PS3 to PS4 maybe?
So I can move my progress or trophies to PS4.

Thanks for supporting all playstation systems. You get my money.

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on January 28th, 2015 at 6:57 pm said:

Hi RetroDaddySlim, many thanks for your support! I feel trusting to say that you won’t be disappointed coming from that direction.

As far as I understand, unless there is some technical limitation in general against this that I don’t know about, cross save should work between all of the three platforms. I’ll do some digging around this tomorrow, once our staff is awake again, and get back with a verification for your Thursday morning.

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on January 29th, 2015 at 9:08 am said:

Hi again, so yes cross cross save will work across all three PS4, PS4, PSVita. Similarly for cross buy. So you should be able to continue your PS3 progress on your PS4.

+ dogbert784 on January 28th, 2015 at 6:12 pm said:

I’m going to really enjoy this on Vita

+ iamsirjoshua on January 28th, 2015 at 6:25 pm said:

I really enjoyed this on tablet, but never really liked the touch controls (it’s no fault of the game, I just have a hard time playing most games on touch screens). Being able to play this on PS4 and Vita is going to be amazing.

Teemu, do you know if a soundtrack will be separately available? I remember the music in particular for this game being atmospheric and generally awesome.

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on January 28th, 2015 at 6:43 pm said:

Hi iamsirjoshua, thanks for the thumbs up! I’m not sure if I should say this but I like the new controller controls better as well. :) More you can do now.

About sound track, the game kind of doesn’t really have a music. What you hear is generated by mixing together different atmospheric backgrounds with sounds of the surroundings and of what happens (forest sounds and a wide range of reactions to collisions, items, machines, buttons, mechanisms, etc.). So it doesn’t have a music that would make for a usual sound track. But it has a very alive feeling and immersive sound environment that reacts to everything that happens in the game. So longish intro to the answer, but due to this we don’t have a sound track of the game as it is created from mixing together bits and pieces on the fly.

+ Dragon-Of-MSoft on January 28th, 2015 at 6:25 pm said:

It had better to be as the same price on smartphones or no welocme for it.

+ Dragon-Of-MSoft on January 28th, 2015 at 6:26 pm said:

Speaking of myself.

+ lazyfan on January 28th, 2015 at 6:45 pm said:

I always meant to get around to the iOS version but never got around to it. Great to hear it’s coming to vita/ps4! Will look forward to this one.

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on January 28th, 2015 at 6:59 pm said:

Thanks LazyFan! That will be a great time to pick it up then.

+ billyok on January 28th, 2015 at 6:58 pm said:

I’ve already bought this game multiple times on iOS — as gifts for my nieces and as a gift to myself. Loved it even with the obvious limitations imposed by touch-only controls. I can’t wait to buy it all over again and play it on the PS4. Very happy this is happening — congrats to the dev team.

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on January 28th, 2015 at 7:08 pm said:

Thank you so much for your support, billyok! And for the congrats! Its really energising to read this kind of feedback. Makes the final testing and ironing-out-bugs-period feel much less of a pain and very justified.

+ R2tito11 on January 28th, 2015 at 7:03 pm said:

like someone said, where is February IGC?? and you haven’t said anything about dropping Youtube, Maps and Near apps support for our Vitas; way to go Sony

+ triple_lei on January 28th, 2015 at 7:49 pm said:

Well I never heard of the game before, but this looks incredible. Now to figure out what games are getting the boot off my Vita memory card…

+ GrafUlrich88 on January 28th, 2015 at 8:16 pm said:

Hey Teemu,

Your game looks amazing!!! I can’t wait to see this on the PS4.

I wanted to ask if you guys would consider on making “Dynamic Themes” and “Avatar Pictures” for the PS4. Your game would look cool displayed on everyone’s PS4.

Cheers!!!

Rob aka Graf

P.S. Please keep posting info on the PS Blog as your game gets closer to launch, thanks.

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on January 28th, 2015 at 9:11 pm said:

Thank you so much! You’ll love it! :)

Thanks for your suggestion! We’ll definitely consider this. We have a few static background images available at http://www.badlandgame.com/badland-goty/ which could work great as a starting point for dynamic themes. The clones and other BADLAND characters would also work great as avatar pictures. Will talk about this today with the team.

+ Scupido14 on January 28th, 2015 at 9:39 pm said:

Näyttää hyvältä! ;)

+ terminode on January 28th, 2015 at 10:08 pm said:

I normally groan when I see mobile games being ported to consoles, but Badland is simply wonderful. Anyone who hasn’t played it is missing out.

+ DangerZone6492 on January 28th, 2015 at 11:38 pm said:

looks crazy awesome, can’t wait to be superstoneybaloney on this game!, goin at it til 5 am cause you know Merica! I second the dynamic theme as well

+ loadstone007 on January 29th, 2015 at 12:32 am said:

Will get it for the VITA! :)

+ iREVOLTER on January 29th, 2015 at 6:08 am said:

Thx 4 CrossBuy.

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on January 29th, 2015 at 9:24 am said:

Sure thing! Makes a lot of sense since we are publishing all 3 platforms at the same time and doing it ourselves. :)

+ Brooklyn008 on January 29th, 2015 at 6:38 am said:

Played this a little on the iPad. Not a real fan of playing on a mobile device. This is great news! COOP stages? YEAH!!

+ CrapkitBoy on January 29th, 2015 at 6:38 am said:

Hi Teemo :)

I assume that the goal is somewhat similar to Zombie Tsunami. But this is done in a much, much better quality. I love the very nice artwork, by the way. It reminds me of the World of Goo. Other than that it looks really great. Nice work guys!

Never heard of this game before, but I got my eyes on it now. It looks hellish difficult haha

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on January 29th, 2015 at 9:39 am said:

Yeah, you are trying to save as many creatures (Clonies) as possible to the end of each level. Gameplay is not so much dodging and avoiding but consists of frequent puzzles where you e.g. need to divide your creatures so that some of them go another route to push a button or collect some power-up that allows the ones on the different route to pass through it. Often you need to sacrifice some to save the others. There are lots of timing & accuracy based puzzles but also a wide range of puzzles that require you to figure out a solution in order to get forward.

Glad you saw it now! That’s one of the reasons we want to come on these platforms. We think there are lots of awesome new players there who will get a kick out of the game. Thanks for the thumbs up! Hope you will check it when it comes out. The levels are really good and keep on bringing fresh variety all the way through the 100 of them. Play-through time is about 15 hours, so there is a solid amount of content as well. It does get a bit difficult at times, especially around the HC level pack called Doomsday. But most of it should not be too difficult but challenging in the right amount. Getting the platinum trophy will require work, though.

+ BoNeSaW23 on January 29th, 2015 at 10:48 am said:

Great to see the success you guys had on iOS gave you the opportunity to expand your game to other platforms.

Some ignorant gamers will complain about another mobile game on “Their” console but they also don’t realize mobile is the new launching ground for smaller developers and new innovative games.

I will definitely be getting it.

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on January 29th, 2015 at 11:25 am said:

Thanks for your support BoNeSaW23!
    Yeah, we knew there was going to be some backlash just due to the background. We initially made it as a console quality iPad game. And now reworked the controls totally. Plus it looks great on Full-HD TV. And the multiplayer features suit consoles really well. Hoping that people will give it a benefit of doubt and see it / try it. I’m pretty confident it will do ok just because it really is a good game on the PS platforms. That’s what will matter in the end.

The comments here on the PS Blog have been an incredible confidence boost. Thank you all so much!

+ luvtoseek on January 29th, 2015 at 11:14 am said:

Cheers Teemu! I’ve got your Android version & the DLC. I’m ready for the Vita version! :D

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on January 29th, 2015 at 11:26 am said:

Hi luvtoseek,
    thanks for your support! Enjoy the Vita version in the not-so-distant future! :)

+ Slacker77 on January 29th, 2015 at 4:04 pm said:

My 6 yr old and I loved the original on the iPad and I made a few others buy a copy because of how cool the game was. Will this scale with higher resolution for the big screen? I have a 65″ and I’ve hooked my iPad up to it before to play games (one of them being this one) and it looked good, but not great. Will this be in full 1080? ALSO CO OP IS GREAT!! We love finding co-op games for the PS4 so with that aspect and the fact that it’s a cross-buy I’ll be double dipping and buying again.

PS This absolutely needs a dynamic theme. Little clones coming and going, getting ripped apart and squished with rotating backgrounds (3-4) so it’s not always the same. That would be epic. My favorite themes allow me to still see the icons and text easily. I am using the floating rectangles one right now, but it’s so bright. I wish I had something dark and moody like this game.

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on January 30th, 2015 at 1:39 am said:

Hey Slacker77,
    Glad you liked it enough to share with friends. That’s awesome. Thanks for the support!

Yeah, it’s 1080p full HD at 60fps and looks really good from a 65”. You definitely won’t be disappointed.
    Co-op will be fun with your kid. I have found it very nice with my 4 year old. Even if he is not as good player, we can keep going as as long as I survive he will bounce back into the game at the next Cloning- power-up. And now you can control your flying more. Even more fun with more people.

Yeah, many seem to like the idea of the dynamic theme. We’ll look into it. Thanks for you comment!

+ alrawi2003 on February 2nd, 2015 at 2:46 pm said:

oh my god bad land is finely coming to ps4 and ps3 i waited for so long for the game bad land to be on the ps4 and ps3 I even said i wanted it to be on the ps4 and 3 and finely it is here wow finally tho just finely wow!!!!!!

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on February 3rd, 2015 at 11:58 am said:

Thanks for your support alrawi!

+ ablemorghon on February 3rd, 2015 at 3:38 am said:

Looks awesome, gonna get it for my Vita for sure.

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on February 3rd, 2015 at 11:58 am said: