Uncharted 4

Feb 02

blood

Watch the First 18 Minutes of Bloodborne

Marty Sliva's Avatar Posted by on Feb 02, 2015 // Editor, IGN

The IGN First for February 2015 is Bloodborne, and I couldn’t be more excited about that. As a huge fan of the Souls series, I jumped at the chance to helm this project. In preparation for our month of coverage, we flew to Japan to visit the offices of From Software, as well as Sony Japan Studio, and let me tell you, we have so many awesome things in the works.

We’re proud to kick off the month with the first 18 virtually uninterrupted minutes of Bloodborne. I could gush on and on about how great the opening is, but honestly, the footage speaks for itself. The capture is from a slightly older build and the game is still under development, so definitely be aware of that if you notice a rough edge or two.

The rest of February is going to be packed with amazing reveals, including brand-new enemies, crazy new environments, and so much more. We sat down with Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne director Hidetaka Miyazaki and picked his brain about what makes his games so appealing to us masochists. And of course, we spent hours going hands-on with a good chunk of the game (Spoilers: we died a lot).

So sit back, relax, and prepare for the hunt.

49 Comments

+ Insomnia999 on February 2nd, 2015 at 9:18 am said:

Beyond!

Keep the content for this rolling. Looks good!

+ Acedia_Impetum on February 2nd, 2015 at 9:29 am said:

Conflict of interest?

+ Gunda on February 2nd, 2015 at 9:33 am said:

This game looks great. I might have to buy a PS4 because of Bloodborne!

+ bbswarrior_11 on February 2nd, 2015 at 9:36 am said:

Very excited for Bloodborne. Nice to see some more gameplay before release. Beyond!

+ subsamuel01 on February 2nd, 2015 at 9:39 am said:

Can’t wait for this and the order 1886, two of my most anticipated games of 2015.

+ zingakun on February 2nd, 2015 at 9:39 am said:

I’m not sure if I should or shouldn’t play this video… >_<

+ TheBrosephJoseph on February 2nd, 2015 at 9:41 am said:

This reminds me a lot of dark souls or a crappy skyrim i dont like it sorry

+ Toshi_cl on February 2nd, 2015 at 9:45 am said:

This was also posted at IGN. Paid advertisement or just connections?

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 2nd, 2015 at 9:46 am said:

@zingakun I feel ya…

+ bleedingwicked on February 2nd, 2015 at 9:48 am said:

Beyond! It’s great to see the NeverR3Chair posting on the PSBlog! Is this what you were Japan for a few weeks ago?

+ ATES on February 2nd, 2015 at 9:55 am said:

Isn’t this just an ign repost? Why is it ending up on here?

+ FatalityPhase_ on February 2nd, 2015 at 10:05 am said:

I’m not sure if I should get bloodborne or the order 1886… :(

+ ColdAssassin on February 2nd, 2015 at 10:19 am said:

Why is an IGN article here?

+ Trendy_Kid on February 2nd, 2015 at 10:44 am said:

Oh man, it looks like Dark Souls returned to its Demon’s Souls roots! I might actually get this.

+ NYPUNK88 on February 2nd, 2015 at 10:47 am said:

@Marty if you’re being paid by Sony to hype their games over at IGN that’s fine just include that bit of info in the article it’s not that difficult brah. This issue will never die down as long as this kind of thing continues.

+ Welmosca on February 2nd, 2015 at 10:49 am said:

Thats too much spoiler.I ain’t watching it…its tempting though.

+ FearMonkey on February 2nd, 2015 at 11:15 am said:

I think I’d rather wait for the game to come out before watching the beginning of the game. Sorry, but it’s just too much of a spoiler for me. Thanks for posting though, Marty. :)

+ lisatsunami on February 2nd, 2015 at 11:17 am said:

For those of you worried about spoilers, I’m the same way. I always avoid. However, if you played the alpha, don’t worry as it’s the same section.

Looks like a lot of polish since I played the alpha! I pre-ordered, pre-paid for the digital version long ago. From Feb 5th through the next few months I’ll be playing Scholar of the First Sin (PS3), Bloodborne and Scholar of the First Sin (PS4). Yes, I’m a FromSoft fan since Demon’s Souls enraged and captivated me years ago.

+ Velkrio on February 2nd, 2015 at 11:25 am said:

It’s okay to be spoiled the first 18 minutes of gameplay, not like you’re going to die lol Every game’s spoiled most of the intro for demo of how the game flow is like etc. So it’s okaayy people. I’m pretty sure there’s more surprises and stuff waiting when it’s launch! : )

+ Velkrio on February 2nd, 2015 at 11:28 am said:

Love FromSoftware since the birth of Armored Core! Will be supporting them along the ways in hoping for Armored Core VI!!! Can”t wait! >:D

+ honkayjeezus on February 2nd, 2015 at 11:44 am said:

Welcome to Gaming Journalism, the only place where this would make sense.

+ dmadman72 on February 2nd, 2015 at 12:01 pm said:

Hope there is a way to turn down the volume of the foot steps without affecting the back ground volume. I only watched 4 minutes of the video, I can’t imagine playing it for hours on end with the sound of those footsteps.

+ OnTheBus666 on February 2nd, 2015 at 12:04 pm said:

Wow I just lost it over that video!!! I’m close to tears I’m so excited. That part where he eating your corpse is sooooo awesome

+ M1NAT3K on February 2nd, 2015 at 12:26 pm said:

The monster health gauge is pretty confusing. I wish it would register how much damage you did more quickly. Throughout the video, I kept on thinking how the player knew the monster was dead. I would have kept on hacking at them until the counter reached zero.

+ zombie9 on February 2nd, 2015 at 12:28 pm said:

The people that made the soul series is making this game didn’t know that I just lost interest in it now.

+ OnTheBus666 on February 2nd, 2015 at 12:40 pm said:

Man I can’t wait for this I have been revisiting the lore from DS 1&2 and Demon Souls and I’m wondering if there will be any way to have access, maybe through DLC, to access the original Japanese VOs and maybe the Japanese item descriptions too? And hopefully there are some vampire hunter D references as the art look similar! Once again this game looks amazing, I just wish we could get a blood red console wih it!

+ K1CKASSER on February 2nd, 2015 at 1:56 pm said:

Trailer looks awesome but watching this first 18mins looks reeeally repetitive and the AI is dumb. The guys around the campfire dont even acknowledge a killer beast trying to eat everyone until you are in their face. Will maybe give it a go once it goes cheap but sadly just lost my launch money.

+ falconbox on February 2nd, 2015 at 3:12 pm said:

27, have you ever played Demons Souls or Dark Souls? This is fairly standard for early in the game. Just wait until you gain more abilities (whatever the Bloodborne equivalent for magic, pyromancy, and miracles are), as well as face tougher enemies.

Basing your decision on a few minutes from what is essentially the tutorial area is just dumb.

+ falconbox on February 2nd, 2015 at 3:14 pm said:

25, zombie9…what’s the matter, were the Souls games too hard for you?

+ CiaranDeNaMasc on February 2nd, 2015 at 3:53 pm said:

You know what would be super nice?
If you made this game available for pre-purchase in Argentina, because right now it is missing from the PS Store for our country, and probably for the rest of Latin America too. :/
Don’t be like that, we are not asking that you add all the contect from previous years, while PSN was not supported here, although that would also be nice, but at least don’t let us out of the new stuff, specially the exclusives, which are the very reason we bought the console for.

+ djsaiyan on February 2nd, 2015 at 4:13 pm said:

Spot the Gamer-Gaters.

There’s one! And there’s another! Oh look, another.

+ SedilesAstaroth on February 2nd, 2015 at 4:27 pm said:

What the hell happened to those graphics? where’s the awesome lighting from the trailers? where is the anti-aliasing? they lied, (again), the same thing happened with dark souls 2, what a disappointment!

+ TeamGreen615 on February 2nd, 2015 at 5:14 pm said:

Marty I’ll never forget your Stormin Norman Schwarzkopf reference on Podcast Beyond. That was a name that I’ve haven’t heard in a long time. Chris Farley had a pretty good skit on SNL impersonating him but I don’t think they would air it today. Anyway I’m looking forward to this game and your review. Keep up the good work!

+ Strangeheaven on February 2nd, 2015 at 5:18 pm said:

Character animation looks very stiff indeed. Apart from that the game looks ok. But The Witcher 3 will own this game in every way possible.

+ Strangeheaven on February 2nd, 2015 at 5:22 pm said:

@32 I also noticed the graphics. Downgrade strikes yet again. This kind of behaviour needs to stop.

+ BigE_1995 on February 2nd, 2015 at 5:49 pm said:

thanks for this gameplay, unlike the order 1886… they haven’t released enough gameplay, suspicious..

+ SR4_LAKERS on February 2nd, 2015 at 5:50 pm said:

Looks super good can’t wait ^_^

+ djsaiyan on February 2nd, 2015 at 6:10 pm said:

And apparently some of you missed the part about this being from an older build.

+ ParasiticAnatomy on February 2nd, 2015 at 7:20 pm said:

I know that this will probably be one of my favorite games of the year.

+ WretchedEGG707 on February 2nd, 2015 at 7:22 pm said:

This guy needs to get good.

+ boomstickbhg on February 2nd, 2015 at 7:52 pm said:

Interesting, so this game is basically a mix of Thief (looks, atmosphere) and Lords of the Fallen (combat style) with some random creepy looking zombie baby type things…

+ guncleaver77 on February 3rd, 2015 at 12:39 am said:

Day 1 purchase for me. Seems to me that most of the hate is coming from angry Xbots that will never experience this game. Always side with Sony if you want quality exclusives and not Microsoft. Greatness Awaits!

+ WanyaRolf on February 3rd, 2015 at 4:23 am said:

Well, the ambient is just nailed perfectly for me.

+ SliK6SiK on February 3rd, 2015 at 4:38 am said:

Looks promising, but seriously, what’s an IGN post doing here? I dislike IGN and the idea of them getting views and revenue through PSBlog is disturbing and doesn’t sit well with me. Either From Software or Sony’s own team should have posted this video instead.

+ Bellalara on February 3rd, 2015 at 5:23 am said:

I want this game!

+ MarinoBrea on February 3rd, 2015 at 10:29 am said:

Into my blood!

+ stealth_sky on February 3rd, 2015 at 4:23 pm said:

North America better get bundles of BloodBorne cuz that game is awesome which they already have bundles in Europe but not NA. I just hope NA get to have Bloodborne bundle

+ honkayjeezus on February 4th, 2015 at 2:05 am said:

Well, as everyone has said, we hope we can see more game journalism from IGN on the blog, here.

Just gives you that warm feeling of not caring about journalism, ethics and gamers in general. I can’t wait for the…

IGN review of Bloodborne, totally non-biased, by Marty Silva.

+ Motherfragger45 on February 5th, 2015 at 9:04 am said:

MInecraft ps4 is totally awesome!!!