Horizon Zero Dawn

Feb 02

Feb 02

Watch the First 18 Minutes of Bloodborne

Marty Sliva's Avatar Posted by Editor, IGN

The IGN First for February 2015 is Bloodborne, and I couldn’t be more excited about that. As a huge fan of the Souls series, I jumped at the chance to helm this project. In preparation for our month of coverage, we flew to Japan to visit the offices of From Software, as well as Sony Japan Studio, and let me tell you, we have so many awesome things in the works.

We’re proud to kick off the month with the first 18 virtually uninterrupted minutes of Bloodborne. I could gush on and on about how great the opening is, but honestly, the footage speaks for itself. The capture is from a slightly older build and the game is still under development, so definitely be aware of that if you notice a rough edge or two.

The rest of February is going to be packed with amazing reveals, including brand-new enemies, crazy new environments, and so much more. We sat down with Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne director Hidetaka Miyazaki and picked his brain about what makes his games so appealing to us masochists. And of course, we spent hours going hands-on with a good chunk of the game (Spoilers: we died a lot).

So sit back, relax, and prepare for the hunt.

Add Your Own

Insomnia999 said:

February 2nd, 9:18 am

Beyond!

Keep the content for this rolling. Looks good!

Acedia_Impetum said:

February 2nd, 9:29 am

Conflict of interest?

Gunda said:

February 2nd, 9:33 am

This game looks great. I might have to buy a PS4 because of Bloodborne!

bbswarrior_11 said:

February 2nd, 9:36 am

Very excited for Bloodborne. Nice to see some more gameplay before release. Beyond!

subsamuel01 said:

February 2nd, 9:39 am

Can’t wait for this and the order 1886, two of my most anticipated games of 2015.

zingakun said:

February 2nd, 9:39 am

I’m not sure if I should or shouldn’t play this video… >_<

TheBrosephJoseph said:

February 2nd, 9:41 am

This reminds me a lot of dark souls or a crappy skyrim i dont like it sorry

Toshi_cl said:

February 2nd, 9:45 am

This was also posted at IGN. Paid advertisement or just connections?

BlueBl1zzard said:

February 2nd, 9:46 am

@zingakun I feel ya…

bleedingwicked said:

February 2nd, 9:48 am

Beyond! It’s great to see the NeverR3Chair posting on the PSBlog! Is this what you were Japan for a few weeks ago?

ATES said:

February 2nd, 9:55 am

Isn’t this just an ign repost? Why is it ending up on here?

FatalityPhase_ said:

February 2nd, 10:05 am

I’m not sure if I should get bloodborne or the order 1886… :(

ColdAssassin said:

February 2nd, 10:19 am

Why is an IGN article here?

Trendy_Kid said:

February 2nd, 10:44 am

Oh man, it looks like Dark Souls returned to its Demon’s Souls roots! I might actually get this.

NYPUNK88 said:

February 2nd, 10:47 am

@Marty if you’re being paid by Sony to hype their games over at IGN that’s fine just include that bit of info in the article it’s not that difficult brah. This issue will never die down as long as this kind of thing continues.

Welmosca said:

February 2nd, 10:49 am

Thats too much spoiler.I ain’t watching it…its tempting though.

FearMonkey said:

February 2nd, 11:15 am

I think I’d rather wait for the game to come out before watching the beginning of the game. Sorry, but it’s just too much of a spoiler for me. Thanks for posting though, Marty. :)

lisatsunami said:

February 2nd, 11:17 am

For those of you worried about spoilers, I’m the same way. I always avoid. However, if you played the alpha, don’t worry as it’s the same section.

Looks like a lot of polish since I played the alpha! I pre-ordered, pre-paid for the digital version long ago. From Feb 5th through the next few months I’ll be playing Scholar of the First Sin (PS3), Bloodborne and Scholar of the First Sin (PS4). Yes, I’m a FromSoft fan since Demon’s Souls enraged and captivated me years ago.

Velkrio said:

February 2nd, 11:25 am

It’s okay to be spoiled the first 18 minutes of gameplay, not like you’re going to die lol Every game’s spoiled most of the intro for demo of how the game flow is like etc. So it’s okaayy people. I’m pretty sure there’s more surprises and stuff waiting when it’s launch! : )

Velkrio said:

February 2nd, 11:28 am

Love FromSoftware since the birth of Armored Core! Will be supporting them along the ways in hoping for Armored Core VI!!! Can”t wait! >:D

honkayjeezus said:

February 2nd, 11:44 am

Welcome to Gaming Journalism, the only place where this would make sense.

dmadman72 said:

February 2nd, 12:01 pm

Hope there is a way to turn down the volume of the foot steps without affecting the back ground volume. I only watched 4 minutes of the video, I can’t imagine playing it for hours on end with the sound of those footsteps.

OnTheBus666 said:

February 2nd, 12:04 pm

Wow I just lost it over that video!!! I’m close to tears I’m so excited. That part where he eating your corpse is sooooo awesome

M1NAT3K said:

February 2nd, 12:26 pm

The monster health gauge is pretty confusing. I wish it would register how much damage you did more quickly. Throughout the video, I kept on thinking how the player knew the monster was dead. I would have kept on hacking at them until the counter reached zero.

zombie9 said:

February 2nd, 12:28 pm

The people that made the soul series is making this game didn’t know that I just lost interest in it now.

OnTheBus666 said:

February 2nd, 12:40 pm

Man I can’t wait for this I have been revisiting the lore from DS 1&2 and Demon Souls and I’m wondering if there will be any way to have access, maybe through DLC, to access the original Japanese VOs and maybe the Japanese item descriptions too? And hopefully there are some vampire hunter D references as the art look similar! Once again this game looks amazing, I just wish we could get a blood red console wih it!

K1CKASSER said:

February 2nd, 1:56 pm

Trailer looks awesome but watching this first 18mins looks reeeally repetitive and the AI is dumb. The guys around the campfire dont even acknowledge a killer beast trying to eat everyone until you are in their face. Will maybe give it a go once it goes cheap but sadly just lost my launch money.

falconbox said:

February 2nd, 3:12 pm

27, have you ever played Demons Souls or Dark Souls? This is fairly standard for early in the game. Just wait until you gain more abilities (whatever the Bloodborne equivalent for magic, pyromancy, and miracles are), as well as face tougher enemies.

Basing your decision on a few minutes from what is essentially the tutorial area is just dumb.

falconbox said:

February 2nd, 3:14 pm

25, zombie9…what’s the matter, were the Souls games too hard for you?

CiaranDeNaMasc said:

February 2nd, 3:53 pm

You know what would be super nice?
If you made this game available for pre-purchase in Argentina, because right now it is missing from the PS Store for our country, and probably for the rest of Latin America too. :/
Don’t be like that, we are not asking that you add all the contect from previous years, while PSN was not supported here, although that would also be nice, but at least don’t let us out of the new stuff, specially the exclusives, which are the very reason we bought the console for.

djsaiyan said:

February 2nd, 4:13 pm

Spot the Gamer-Gaters.

There’s one! And there’s another! Oh look, another.

SedilesAstaroth said:

February 2nd, 4:27 pm

What the hell happened to those graphics? where’s the awesome lighting from the trailers? where is the anti-aliasing? they lied, (again), the same thing happened with dark souls 2, what a disappointment!

TeamGreen615 said:

February 2nd, 5:14 pm

Marty I’ll never forget your Stormin Norman Schwarzkopf reference on Podcast Beyond. That was a name that I’ve haven’t heard in a long time. Chris Farley had a pretty good skit on SNL impersonating him but I don’t think they would air it today. Anyway I’m looking forward to this game and your review. Keep up the good work!

Strangeheaven said:

February 2nd, 5:18 pm

Character animation looks very stiff indeed. Apart from that the game looks ok. But The Witcher 3 will own this game in every way possible.

Strangeheaven said:

February 2nd, 5:22 pm

@32 I also noticed the graphics. Downgrade strikes yet again. This kind of behaviour needs to stop.

BigE_1995 said:

February 2nd, 5:49 pm

thanks for this gameplay, unlike the order 1886… they haven’t released enough gameplay, suspicious..

SR4_LAKERS said:

February 2nd, 5:50 pm

Looks super good can’t wait ^_^

djsaiyan said:

February 2nd, 6:10 pm

And apparently some of you missed the part about this being from an older build.

ParasiticAnatomy said:

February 2nd, 7:20 pm

I know that this will probably be one of my favorite games of the year.

WretchedEGG707 said:

February 2nd, 7:22 pm

This guy needs to get good.

boomstickbhg said:

February 2nd, 7:52 pm

Interesting, so this game is basically a mix of Thief (looks, atmosphere) and Lords of the Fallen (combat style) with some random creepy looking zombie baby type things…

guncleaver77 said:

February 3rd, 12:39 am

Day 1 purchase for me. Seems to me that most of the hate is coming from angry Xbots that will never experience this game. Always side with Sony if you want quality exclusives and not Microsoft. Greatness Awaits!

WanyaRolf said:

February 3rd, 4:23 am

Well, the ambient is just nailed perfectly for me.

SliK6SiK said:

February 3rd, 4:38 am

Looks promising, but seriously, what’s an IGN post doing here? I dislike IGN and the idea of them getting views and revenue through PSBlog is disturbing and doesn’t sit well with me. Either From Software or Sony’s own team should have posted this video instead.

Bellalara said:

February 3rd, 5:23 am

I want this game!

MarinoBrea said:

February 3rd, 10:29 am

Into my blood!

stealth_sky said:

February 3rd, 4:23 pm

North America better get bundles of BloodBorne cuz that game is awesome which they already have bundles in Europe but not NA. I just hope NA get to have Bloodborne bundle

honkayjeezus said:

February 4th, 2:05 am

Well, as everyone has said, we hope we can see more game journalism from IGN on the blog, here.

Just gives you that warm feeling of not caring about journalism, ethics and gamers in general. I can’t wait for the…

IGN review of Bloodborne, totally non-biased, by Marty Silva.

Motherfragger45 said:

February 5th, 9:04 am

MInecraft ps4 is totally awesome!!!