Call of Duty Infinite Warfare

Feb 03

Feb 03

Kick & Fennick Out Today on Vita

Laurens Bruins's Avatar Posted by Jaywalkers Interactive

Hi everyone! Vincent and Laurens here again. We almost can’t believe we’re actually writing this, but Kick & Fennick is out today on PlayStation Store. It’s been a crazy adventure, and our greatest challenge yet.

But, we’re finally here, and we made a new trailer, so check it out!

As you can see in the trailer, Kick & Fennick is a game about a little boy with a very big gun. Any normal boy would leave the gun for the big kids to play with, but when our heroes meet and Fennick saves Kick from trouble, they notice Fennick’s energy core is broken and embark on an adventure to the Core Tower in search of a new battery.

Besides shooting down any robot that gets in their way, Kick can make huge jumps by using the gun’s powerful recoil. Whenever Kick fires the weapon, it will send him flying into the opposite direction! This opens up tons of opportunities for cool platforming challenges. On your quest to help Fennick, you’ll encounter many obstacles to overcome, such as treadmills, magnets, bouncy pads, teleporters, and a huge menacing robot that just doesn’t want to leave you alone!

With Kick & Fennick we aimed to make a relaxing and fun platformer, a bit different than some of the frantic platformers that are out there. We describe it as “smooth and easygoing.” That doesn’t mean it’s easy — you’ll have to carefully aim your shots if you want to overcome the challenges thrown in your way, but we wanted Kick & Fennick to be a non frustrating experience that gently ramps up the challenge. Fennick plays a part in that too, as his ability to respawn you instantly makes sure you can retry any missed jump within seconds, as long as Fennick has enough power left. Apart from the challenges ramping up smoothly, we’ve also spent a lot of time on the movement mechanics, with satisfying jumping physics and lots of animations to make your moves look and feel just right.

Kick & FennickKick & Fennick

We’ve mentioned before that we’re big fans of animation, so we wanted to include a little story that shows our passion there. Even though it’s a small story, a lot of work went into the animations — not in the least part because we really like doing it — and it was quite a challenge, so we hope you enjoy it!

It’s been one hell of a rollercoaster ride since the last time we posted here, especially the last few weeks, so we would like to take this opportunity to thank the people who helped make all this possible. Jonathan van den Wijngaarden, our composer and one of our best friends, who made all the music and sound effects and believed in us from the start of the project almost 3 years ago. (Sorry for taking so long!) The guys from Abstraction Games as well, our long time friends and colleagues who helped bring the game to Vita and went above and beyond in the final push to release.

We also want to thank all of you here on Playstation.Blog and all the people who kept sending us emails asking about the game. Your comments, feedback and emails have meant a lot to us and gave us the energy to push through the more difficult moments.

Most importantly though, we have to mention how much our friends and family played a part in getting Kick & Fennick across the finish line. Without their love and support we would have crashed and burned a long time ago.

Kick & Fennick

We’re are extremely excited (And terrified!) to see what you think of the game and hope you have a great time playing it!

As always we’ll stick around for any questions you might have.

Thank you all!

–Vincent and Laurens

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

Zepherj said:

February 3rd, 7:58 am

This game looks pretty killer. I’m excited to get some original content for the PS Vita. Thanks guys!

February 3rd, 8:29 am

Thanks Zepherj, and you’re welcome! :D

cmdluke said:

February 3rd, 8:02 am

Congrats on the launch no look forward to playing later when the store updates!

cmdluke said:

February 3rd, 8:03 am

*I look forward, not no. Lol.

urubublue said:

February 3rd, 8:04 am

It seems to fit perfectly on vita! I’m just waiting for it right Now
😃

February 3rd, 8:31 am

Hope you’ll enjoy it, urubublue. We love the Vita screen, the colors really pop!

yowzagabowza said:

February 3rd, 8:06 am

Im glad its on plus. I dunno if i woulda got it today if it wasn’t unless its ten bucks, then i would have.
Looks fun. I just hope the recoil physics work well.

February 3rd, 8:29 am

Thanks yowzagabowza! The game is 7,99 without a Plus subscription. We think the recoil physics work well, hope you’ll agree! (Btw, you can aim your weapon with the analog sticks, but for precision shots you can use the touch screen aswell.)

EverythingOnFire said:

February 3rd, 8:08 am

Congrats, Vincent and Laurens, and congrats to the rest of your team. The game looks fun, and it’s very pretty to look at.

Wanted to ask; Can we play this on PSTV?

February 3rd, 8:25 am

Thanks EverythingOnFire! Unfortunately, it doesn’t work on PSTV. We couldn’t make sure everything would work properly and on time for release, sorry. Hope you’ll enjoy the game though!

p.s. Apart from Jonathan, our good friend and audio maestro, and Abstraction Games who ported the game, Kick & Fennick was made by just the two of us! :D

Tasteemobile said:

February 3rd, 8:09 am

Can’t wait to try this out later today, it looks great.

February 3rd, 8:40 am

Thanks Tasteemobile, means a lot!

remanutd5 said:

February 3rd, 8:09 am

Hey guys, II’m very happy for you. I’m one of those fans that have been contacting you a lot. The time has come and as I told you on an email I really want Kick&Fennick to become a franchise, i hope you guys think about it. Rene Here wishing you best of luck.

February 3rd, 8:20 am

Thanks for everything, mate. Hope it lives up to your expectations! :D

Bluejays20012 said:

February 3rd, 8:10 am

This game looks amazing

February 3rd, 8:40 am

Thanks Bluejays, hope you’ll enjoy the game!

Trendy_Kid said:

February 3rd, 8:10 am

I can never complain about a free game. :) I like platformers, so I am eager to give this a try!

BlueRobotX said:

February 3rd, 8:10 am

Will this work on the PS TV? I would really appreciate an answer to my question, since most of the time it doesn’t seem like people come back to answer peoples questions which is really annoying, I’m still going to try the game either way since I also have a Vita but it would be nice if someone actually came back and answered peoples questions.

February 3rd, 8:19 am

Hi BlueRobotX, unfortunately not. We couldn’t make sure everything would work properly and on time for release, sorry! Hope you’ll enjoy the game though! :D

SigEp_Raiders said:

February 3rd, 8:26 am

Can’t run this on a 3DS! The Vita is such a powerful handheld, keep up the good work!

cmdluke said:

February 3rd, 8:30 am

Will there be a platinum trophy?

February 3rd, 8:32 am

Unfortunately not, sorry. We have 1 gold, 1 silver and 13 bronze trophies. :)

urubublue said:

February 3rd, 8:32 am

Any plans to add a updated patch to work later on PSTV?

February 3rd, 8:39 am

No plans yet, but you’re one of many to ask for it, so we’ll definitely think about it!

melka_ashur said:

February 3rd, 8:53 am

Looks like a beautiful game! Glad to see Developers supporting the Vita, it is the best piece of handheld gaming tech out there.

February 3rd, 10:10 am

Thank you! And yes, the Vita is awesome! (We especially love the screen, the contrast, colors, it really pops off the screen!)

tonyrp1987 said:

February 3rd, 8:57 am

What is the download size and any plans for dlc?

February 3rd, 10:09 am

Hi Tony, it’s 824MB. No plans for DLC yet, but our future is wide open. Anything is possible! :)

dkarlowicz10 said:

February 3rd, 9:11 am

I look forward to playing this on the Vita.

February 3rd, 12:43 pm

Thanks dkarlowicz, hope you’ll have fun! :)

XwingVmanX said:

February 3rd, 9:12 am

Wow, never heard about this game before, but it looks amazing. I am definitely getting it!

If only the ps vita memory cards weren’t so expensive so I could upgrade and not need to delete a game off my system… *cough*

February 3rd, 12:36 pm

Thanks XwingVmanX, hope you still have some room left! (It’s 824MB.)

GStylez1980 said:

February 3rd, 9:16 am

Congratulations Laurens and Jaywalker Interactive! After watching the trailer, I finally get what this game is going for and can’t wait to give it a go. Thanks for supporting the Vita!

Follow me on Twitter: @brg_esq
Friend me on PSN: GStylez1980

February 3rd, 12:26 pm

Thanks GStylez, and you’re welcome! :)

urubublue said:

February 3rd, 9:19 am

XwingVmanX

You don’t need to delete Those files. Try to store them on pc

Gorvi said:

February 3rd, 9:25 am

Ya know, I had no interest in this game until I saw the trailer, this looks fantastic. Can’t wait to play it tonight.

February 3rd, 12:32 pm

Thanks Gorvi, glad you like the trailer! We we’re so busy these last few weeks that we had to really step up our game to get the trailer out in time. Many long nights were had. Not to mention our composer, Jonathan v/d Wijngaarden, who had a baby just days before the deadline!

TobiHarrison said:

February 3rd, 9:47 am

Wow! I am soo going to buy this game first thing when psn updates. I’m quite impressed with how beautiful the game looks. Seems like I’ll start following its developers from now on. Off course I’ll have to show support to any developer that creates a game as beautiful as this for the Vita.

February 3rd, 12:33 pm

Thank you, Tobi, that means a lot. Hope you’ll enjoy the game! :)

CrusaderForever said:

February 3rd, 9:57 am

Congratulations! The games looks really fun and I can’t wait to download it and try it out. Thanks for including this with PS+!

February 3rd, 12:34 pm

Thank you, and you’re welcome of course! :)

liammill18 said:

February 3rd, 10:13 am

Really excited to play this tonight! Congratulations!

February 3rd, 12:41 pm

Thank you! Enjoy the game! :)

NadMax45 said:

February 3rd, 10:18 am

I can’t wait to download and play it tomorrow
Graphics look awesome, in the Vita’ top best looking games.
And the game seems really fun!
Does it run at native resolution?

February 3rd, 12:41 pm

Thanks NadMax! Yes, it runs at native resolution at +30fps! :)

maicol2809 said:

February 3rd, 10:54 am

Game looks pretty awesome; always good to get original content on my vita.

Worried about the length though, how long is it? Like velocity 2 perhaps?

Will there be a demo version?

February 3rd, 12:40 pm

Thanks maicol! Hard to say exactly how long it takes, I think it’s around 6/7 hours. (If you’re not going for a perfect score on all the levels.) Of course that depends on your skills, my wife takes about 20 hours. ;)

There’s no demo version yet, but we’re looking into that. Hope you’ll enjoy the game!

B91212- said:

February 3rd, 10:59 am

Really like the look of this and can’t wait to give it a try. Thank you for showing the Vita some much needed love and support. Would have been a day one purchase for me if it wasn’t on plus (both because I like the look of it and because of the Vita love). $8 seems a reasonable price anyway for those without Plus.

Wishing you a successful launch.

zombie9 said:

February 3rd, 11:39 am

Game is up on PS store now at lest on VITA store and it is one of the Free games with your + membership. I will be trying it out as soon as I get off work..

abstract45 said:

February 3rd, 12:53 pm

Thank you guys for supporting the Vita! I feel like Sony is slowly leaving the console to die by not supporting it…

inforcer234 said:

February 3rd, 1:24 pm

Is this going to be on the PS TV??? I really want to play this game but I do not own a Vita, and I know it isnt supported yet, but will it? Please!!!! It looks super fun and a true Vita original, but is it going to get a compatability update?

CrashSpyro said:

February 3rd, 1:35 pm

Please do work on making this compatible with PS TV.

android92 said:

February 3rd, 1:49 pm

I have had my eye on this game for quite some time. I wish I could give you money for this but its free on plus lol Instant Download!

D_Arkss said:

February 3rd, 2:04 pm

The game mechanics remind me of No time to explain, is there any relation? Where you inspired by that game?

February 6th, 12:55 pm

We were well in development when No Time To Explain came around, we remember being pretty bummed out about it actually! ;)

remanutd5 said:

February 3rd, 3:00 pm

I’m currently playing through level 2-1 and i must say, even though i still have a long way to go I think Kick&Fennick should become a psvita franchise, I love the game mechanics, the way we use the gun, its pretty fun. The sequel if there will ever be one needs to be 3D. Very good game guys.

time-space said:

February 3rd, 4:49 pm

Been playing this game now for at least 2 hours non stop. Where did this game come from and why haven’t we heard more about it? It’s the best thing to happen to the Vita since Tearaway! It’s so fun to play! Thank you devs!

February 6th, 12:56 pm

Thanks for your kind words, mate!

Genesisthegreat said:

February 3rd, 4:54 pm

For some reason The Right Stick on the vita is for Walking and aiming is anyone else having this problem? The Left stick is doing nothing.

February 6th, 1:04 pm

That’s reaaaally weird. Did you manage to sort it out?

remanutd5 said:

February 3rd, 5:04 pm

@35 yea I agree. This game is really goo.

BeardedBlaze said:

February 3rd, 5:50 pm

Wow, this game is chill and fun, and physics are great. Unreal we got it on release for free, and at $8 it’s a steal. Great job Vincent and Laurens!

February 6th, 12:56 pm

Thank you, mate! Enjoy! :)

JohnnyCal25 said:

February 3rd, 7:16 pm

I usually don’t comment on this blog BUT this game deserves a little more attention. I’ve already played through the first chapter and really enjoyed it. From the unique jump mechanics to the creative and charming world you guys created a game that really stands out in my opinion. Keep it up and hope to see a sequel!!!

By the way I’m from Mexico so i shared it on my facebook community page “PS Vita Mexico” (nearing 1,000) trying to spread the word about the game!!!

shadewingz said:

February 3rd, 9:10 pm

I’ve only played a few levels at this point, but the gun jumping mechanic is crazy fun to play around with! You guys did an excellent job on this one!

SpooNManX said:

February 3rd, 11:04 pm

Just throwing in my hat for a PSTV patch. I just picked one up and would love to play this game on my HDTV.

February 6th, 12:59 pm

I can’t promise anything yet, but we’re definitely looking into our options!

hazelcabug said:

February 4th, 8:40 pm

This type of indie should be the new trend for vita., smooth in the eye, very neat and high definition. No offense to smartphone-like / 8bit vita indie games.

February 6th, 1:04 pm

Thank you very much, hazelcabug!

Kolma528 said:

February 4th, 9:02 pm

This is me throwing a “Please put this on PSTV” comment into the pile of others.

February 6th, 1:03 pm

We’re looking into our options Kolma! We would love to see it on PSTV aswell! :)

JJP12 said:

February 4th, 10:52 pm

Yeah I’ve been playing this for the past 2 hours or so and I’m having a blast! This game is seriously so much fun and everyone should try it out. I kind of wish I could purchase it to support the devs instead of just getting it free with plus lol

February 6th, 1:00 pm

Thanks, man! Don’t worry about it, we’re already super thrilled almost everyone seems to be enjoying it so much! :)

bbswarrior_11 said:

February 5th, 8:58 am

Played the first 2 chapters this morning and it´s quite fun. I´m hoping it gets gradually more and more complicated so it forces you to really time your launches well.

February 6th, 1:00 pm

It definitely does! Have you reached the later chapters yet?

Death_bass said:

February 5th, 9:32 am

Hi guys congratulations on this great game and thanks for releasing it exclusively on the Vita, it is in need of good and exclusive games like this one. One question, I started the game on normal difficulty but now I want to get the trophy for finishing it on hard, can I just choose the levels I played on normal and play it again on hard later ? Also it would be great to play it on the PSTV as well.

February 6th, 1:01 pm

Thank you, Death_bass! Yes, you can just redo the levels on Hard, no need to start over! :)

markshneider said:

February 5th, 5:28 pm

Hi, thanks for the great game!!!
It´s awesome, really. Nice on the eyes (kick’s face is not :P), tight controls, fun mechanics, and a good chalenge. Really a good game.
It´s a bit of a shame that we with Plus subscriptions can´t buy it to support you guys for making it and keeping the good work flowing with more nice games in the future coming to the Vita.
Could you guys put out some nice DLCs so we can support you more aside from getting it free and playing it? something like a neat space suit (with helmet of course), weapon variants with new mechanics and so on.

February 6th, 1:03 pm

Thanks Mark. Kick is a bit sad about your remark but he’ll get over it. ;)

We don’t know what’s in store for the future yet, but we’ll definitely think about your suggestions. Thanks for your kind words!

February 6th, 1:06 pm

Hi guys, since we’re getting a lot of questions on PSTV, I thought I’d comment here too. We can’t promise anything yet, but we’re definitely looking into our options. We would love to see Kick & Fennick on PSTV aswell! :)

ferrers405 said:

February 6th, 5:31 pm

Just here to say I liked very, very much your game, getting all diamonds, gears and costumes, thank you for putting the game on Plus otherwise I could have miss it and since everyone is asking you guys should think about put some DLC in like trials/challenges, little things.

thewgdd said:

February 22nd, 6:09 pm

I’m playing through this now and am really enjoying it. Ilan to get all the platinum stars and special gears when I finish (already missed a few of each). The recoil mechanic is extremely fun and as the game progresses it does a good job of adding new environmental elements to change the way you use it and what you have to consider as you do. The slowing down of time is such a great way to give the player a chance to navigate the obstacles in real time, resulting in less trial-and-error gameplay while allowing for some really devious environments to navigate. It’s such a great feeling when you blast through a bunch of electric laser things with just the right timing and fall safely to a platform below. As for constructive criticism, I feel the game could have benefited from some more environmental diversity (in terms of art), and maybe some more enemy types. But at its core this game has a really fun recoil mechanic that’s put to good use. It makes for a really fun time. Thanks to the whole team for their hard work on this game.

PAGE 1 2