PlayStation Vue

Feb 12

PlayStation

PSN: Upgrade Sub Accounts to Master Accounts

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by on Feb 12, 2015 // SVP, PlayStation Network

PlayStation

Starting today, PlayStation Network (PSN) users will gain the ability to upgrade a sub account to a master account. We’re always listening to user feedback, and this is a feature that many of you have asked for. You’ll be able to upgrade an account first through the web and later through PlayStation 4. Instructions on how to start this process through the web can be found here.

In case you aren’t familiar, sub accounts allow users under the age of 18 to access PSN while letting parents or guardians manage their online experience. A variety of PSN features can be limited through sub accounts including messages, monthly spending limits, and gameplay broadcasts. Additional information is available on our Knowledge Center, here.

If you were on a sub account and turned 18 (Happy belated birthday!), you may want to upgrade to a master account to access the full feature set of PlayStation’s online experience, including PlayStation Store. Your profile will be carried over when upgrading to a master account, along with items like your friends list and Trophies.

139 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 12th, 2015 at 1:47 pm said:

Oh snap! While my account is a master account, I know quite a bit of people that will be happy to hear this!

+ HeySumbode on February 12th, 2015 at 1:48 pm said:

+ Jotamide on February 12th, 2015 at 1:50 pm said:

Good move. Now please for the love of god LET US FILTER OUR DOWNLOAD LIST BY PLATFORM. As a Vita owner who subs to PS+ is almost impossible to find anything on the archaic download list full of games/demos/themes/etc.

+ ilikebig on February 12th, 2015 at 1:50 pm said:

What about changing psn id name?…NO! NEVER!

+ ph1Liux on February 12th, 2015 at 1:50 pm said:

I would pay up to 30 dollars just to be able to rename my account

+ AliciaDarky on February 12th, 2015 at 1:50 pm said:

I would totally prefer being able to change your PSN ID.

+ KazeEternal on February 12th, 2015 at 1:50 pm said:

Thank you for supplying those members with this much needed feature.

If we could get PSN Alias ID’s that would be great.

Some support for legacy hardware like the bluetooth bluray remote would be nice as well.

+ AliciaDarky on February 12th, 2015 at 1:51 pm said:

Ooops, my PSN ID. Sorry, cellphones are bad.

+ DragonIrons on February 12th, 2015 at 1:53 pm said:

lol wow…. people have been “asking” for this since like 2006 rofl…………. took you long enough to do something this simple.

+ lisatsunami on February 12th, 2015 at 1:54 pm said:

Hey, this is big news for a small but significant number of PSN users. Good job, Eric.

+ duffyboy1986 on February 12th, 2015 at 1:55 pm said:

any news on the next firmware update?

+ hoop-de-la-hoop on February 12th, 2015 at 1:55 pm said:

Yep, I’d pay $20 to rename my account too. Why is this such an impossible feat?

+ Heavyman99 on February 12th, 2015 at 1:55 pm said:

Can we get multiple accounts on Vita? I assume that’s why we’re losing the useless maps.

+ CrazyRap on February 12th, 2015 at 1:56 pm said:

Ok can we get psn id change now?

+ SlyCooperFan100 on February 12th, 2015 at 1:56 pm said:

FINALLY! This has been something that we’ve been asking for for the past nine years! I’ve had this stupid sub account issue ever since getting the PS3 four years ago, and this is finally done with! Thank you guys so much at last!

Everyone who uses a Master Account to manage their Sub Accounts, please keep in mind that funds do NOT transfer between the accounts. Spend your remaining balance before upgrading your Sub Account! I plan on doing that at some point myself!

+ Kid_Loser on February 12th, 2015 at 2:01 pm said:

Great!

Now Sony just has to listen to get Resonance of Fate and 3D Dot Game Heroes on PSNow! :)

+ Crunchewy on February 12th, 2015 at 2:01 pm said:

Does this have any down side? Like if I upgrade my kids accounts to master accounts, do they lose the ability to play games online (I have PS+, but they do not)?

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 12th, 2015 at 2:02 pm said:

@AliciaDarky
Shawn Layden addressed the issue of PSN ID changing a couple months back. One of the roadblocks involves finding a way to keep the ID changes transparent, so people can’t just troll a bunch of people in one game, change their name, hop in a different game and then do the same thing.

Unfortunate, but hopefully they can work something out.

+ Crunchewy on February 12th, 2015 at 2:04 pm said:

Aw, I just looked at the how to page. This can only be done if they are 18+? What if I want my kids to have the option to upload videos to youtube? Is there any way for me to give them that capability (short of making a new account)?

+ MmaFanQc on February 12th, 2015 at 2:04 pm said:

@14

would make sense to charge 5-8$ to avoid abuses.

+ Crunchewy on February 12th, 2015 at 2:06 pm said:

@blueBl1zzard – limit name changes to once a year and that pretty much resolves that issue.

+ Berae on February 12th, 2015 at 2:10 pm said:

What about change psn name for a fee?

+ lisaangela on February 12th, 2015 at 2:12 pm said:

If it even took £500 to change my PSN ID, I would. Come on Playstation, this is obviously something a lot, and I mean a lot, of users would like to see added to many things you provide. I pretty sure that even if you took PSN down for at least a week, for after this feature would be available, would be amazing. I’ve been wanting this feature on Playstation since I started using PSN 6 years ago. I’m not moving over to Xbox, just so I can have another account name. And I won’t create a new account because I’ve already got loads of progression on upto 20+ games. Come on Playstation, for once bring something epic to the die hard fans that have been waiting for this!

+ Speed_Demon19 on February 12th, 2015 at 2:13 pm said:

you have to be kidding, Im 16……..sooo I got to wait 2 years good to know. Don’t understand why can’t everyone upgrade

+ SlyCooperFan100 on February 12th, 2015 at 2:15 pm said:

@Crunchewy: Upgrading your childrens’ accounts from Sub to Master will not change their ability to access content purchased through your account (which is linked by the console), or PlayStation Plus benefits (on the PS4, PS Plus benefits are shared across all accounts on that console as long as the account with PS+ has set the PS4 as their main PS4). However, you are correct, Master Accounts are for 18+ users only and Sub Account graduation is only for Sub Accounts that are 18+.

+ MiiAmigo on February 12th, 2015 at 2:16 pm said:

I am extremely happy and thankful for this evolution to my account.

+ Tesal2005 on February 12th, 2015 at 2:21 pm said:

A wonderful step :)

Now !! Name ‘ID” Change !! must happen sooner than later

make it like 5 USD once a year.

and allow it / unlocked it after 6 months of no complains registered toward the user after the name change.

to prevent abuse and reward well-behaved players.

Also later on, allow us to change regions just like Microsoft but without their restrictions sometimes.

+ rafael_martines on February 12th, 2015 at 2:21 pm said:

Good…

There are two things that I need:

Search feature in Download List when for example I type, (see SONY, type not select the letters =_=) the name of the game for example and all the content related to the name is shown in real time.

Change the PSN Flag, for example I want to turn my USA account in Brazilian account and transfer all my data trophies, saves and bought content to that account.

Thanks

+ Ed_Leao on February 12th, 2015 at 2:22 pm said:

What about multiple accounts on PS Vita?

+ Monterossa on February 12th, 2015 at 2:22 pm said:

people shouldn’t dictate their children from the beginning.

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 12th, 2015 at 2:24 pm said:

@Crunchewy yeah I was thinking kind of the same, I’m pretty sure they already have a limit on how often you can deactivate systems. Plus they could charge for it like other people are suggesting.

+ Kchow23 on February 12th, 2015 at 2:28 pm said:

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY. I WAITED FOR OVER A YEAR FOR THIS MOMENT :)

+ wilfareus on February 12th, 2015 at 2:32 pm said:

I am excited for this – as a sign for things to come :O

+ FireThrower777 on February 12th, 2015 at 2:37 pm said:

We can do this BUT we still cannot see when our friends come online!?

+ Trendy_Kid on February 12th, 2015 at 2:45 pm said:

Just let me rename my account! I would pay for this!!

+ CoolAgent5 on February 12th, 2015 at 2:46 pm said:

Wow thats cool but WHY!!!! is the site to do it under construction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also i would like to change my PSN ID also.

+ Joel10458 on February 12th, 2015 at 2:53 pm said:

When are we going to be able to change our PSN NAME?

+ Beeinhollywood on February 12th, 2015 at 3:06 pm said:

THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU. :D

+ SmokeAdellic on February 12th, 2015 at 3:10 pm said:

Bravo Sony add a new feature the day your under maintenance! lol

+ WowSoDogeAmaze on February 12th, 2015 at 3:12 pm said:

Why can’t we sort our PS3 digital games alphabetically???????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where are PS4 avatars?

Where is our own personal mp3 music library on PS4?

Where is our video library on PS4?

+ Exitlude on February 12th, 2015 at 3:13 pm said:

I can finally use this account again! As a sub account user who has earned a lot of platinums over the course of a few years, thank you. :)

+ vza004 on February 12th, 2015 at 3:13 pm said:

Being a customer since ’08, I really need that download list filter.

+ Lord_SpringWind on February 12th, 2015 at 3:15 pm said:

adulthood…now protect use from them bs!!!!!

+ Lord_SpringWind on February 12th, 2015 at 3:16 pm said:

ooops…meant US

+ Splodem on February 12th, 2015 at 3:16 pm said:

Please bring more ps1 classics

Saga frontier
Eiinhander
Jade cocoon
Vandal hearts 1 and 2
Megaman legends 1 and 2
Azure dreams
Diablo
Die hard trilogy

Crisis core for the psp

And make blood omen playable on vita please!

+ KazeEternal on February 12th, 2015 at 3:21 pm said:

Blows my mind how many people resort to money as a means of regulating abuse of the name changing. This is not the way to go. A name change once after a duration of time is more than acceptable. Charging for a single write once and forget feature that requires no maintenance once implemented is not acceptable.

+ cheeseyqueso on February 12th, 2015 at 3:22 pm said:

THANKS SOOO MUCH, FINALLY!

+ greeneye-77 on February 12th, 2015 at 3:30 pm said:

Very Nice. Thank you. This is great news!

+ universalbliss on February 12th, 2015 at 3:34 pm said:

Hello Eric Lempel. Do you think that Sony can allow for the Master Account to set individual pins for games (rated above their age) so that the kids can’t access them. Or another solution would be to allow for the Master account to set age limits on games, but for it not to affect the master account? As it stands, the software allows the master account to set age restrictions, but it affects the master account as well. Every time I wish to play an age appropriate game, I have to go back into settings to change the age restrictions to access. Its a bit silly.

+ xMETATRONx on February 12th, 2015 at 3:37 pm said:

Thank you for changing this. I’ve had my sub-account since 2007. I appreciate that Sony acknowledged it and was able to make the change. It probably was not an easy solution/process, otherwise it wouldn’t have taken this long. Great news.

PAGE 1 2 3