Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Apr 10

shovelknightlead

Shovel Knight vs. the God of War

David D'Angelo's Avatar Posted by on Apr 10, 2015 // Developer, Yacht Club Games

Shovel Knight - Kratos

AREEEESSSS!!! It’s God of War’s 10th anniversary! Can you believe that it’s been ten years since Kratos’ Spartan wrath first ignited the PlayStation 2 library?! It’s hard to imagine PlayStation without this enduring and beloved character, and we couldn’t be happier to be part of the celebrations! Wait, did you miss the big news?

Kratos will be making an appearance in our game, Shovel Knight, which launches on April 21st!

All we’ve shown the world so far is a quick teaser which debuted at the PlayStation Experience a few months ago. Today, we wanted to elaborate on Shovel Knight’s epic encounter with Kratos a little more. First off, we’ll confirm that Shovel Knight engages the God of War in mortal combat!!

Shovel Knight’s adventure is tied together with a sprawling overworld map filled with secrets, bonuses, and wandering combatants who’re just waiting to take on the Blue Burrower. Kratos, who is traveling through these lands, is perhaps Shovel Knight’s most ferocious opponent yet!

However, you can’t just run into Kratos by chance. He’s very tricky to find! Keep your eye out for secrets… and possibly even double secrets, to learn how to discover this battle. Once you figure it out, he’ll appear on the world map.

Shovel Knight

Kratos can be a challenging fight because he’s aggressive and tenacious, just like in the God of War games. Using his Blades of Chaos, he really knows how to whip poor Shovel Knight around! Take a look at all the ways Kratos can beat on Shovel Knight:

Shovel Knight - Kratos
Shovel Knight - Kratos
Shovel Knight - Kratos

The battle is amped up, befitting the over-the-top nature of God of War. It’s thrilling and exciting, blood-pumping and challenging! But most of all, it has that fun factor, and that humor and levity that you’d expect from Shovel Knight. After all, It’s about time Kratos had his 8-bit debut!

The gameplay and visuals aren’t all that matter though. Here’s a little taste of the God of War theme… turned 8-bit!

But there’s more than just a battle! Maybe Shovel Knight learns a trick or two from Kratos… but we’ve shared enough for now. You’ll just have to play the game to find out what!

It was truly pleasure to work with Sony Santa Monica. They are one of the best studios in the world. We’ve created something truly awesome together, and couldn’t be more proud to be a part of God of War’s amazing history. We hope you all have a ton of fun fighting Kratos in Shovel Knight on PS4, PS3, and PS Vita.

48 Comments

+ cimerians on April 10th, 2015 at 8:05 am said:

I’m buying this game again on PS4. Was a backer a long while back. Don’t mind buying it again.

+ mauaus on April 10th, 2015 at 8:06 am said:

YES! this is going to be FANTASTIC on my vita!!

+ DeviantBoi on April 10th, 2015 at 8:06 am said:

Can’t wait! I’ve been looking forward to this game since it was shown on Kickstarter!

Soon, soon.

Fortunately I still have Axiom Verge to keep me busy. Closing in on that Platinum trophy.

+ XxTigerheartxX on April 10th, 2015 at 8:07 am said:

Is this more of a Mega Man clone or Ghosts ‘n’ Goblins? I need my retro fix either way.

+ KANE-FIRE on April 10th, 2015 at 8:17 am said:

I totally forgot this game was going to be released this month. Thanks for the reminder!

+ SaberX85 on April 10th, 2015 at 8:17 am said:

Thank you for supporting vita.

Day one for me, i love retro hard games

+ cimerians on April 10th, 2015 at 8:17 am said:

It reminds me more of Mega Man.

+ TimMalouff on April 10th, 2015 at 8:22 am said:

Let’s hope that Sony can post correct pricing for once when the Playstation Store Update Posts when you’re game finally comes out. You may want to sell Sony a app that can proof read those posts as almost every week there are mistakes. That or have Sony use a database with correct pricing and some server side scripting.

+ Roaming_Ryu on April 10th, 2015 at 8:25 am said:

Is it PlayStation TV compatible?

+ Zezzler on April 10th, 2015 at 8:42 am said:

The Kratos Battle Clip sounds exactly like the Pokemon Trainer Red fight from Gold/Silver on Gameboy! It has got me extremely pumped for the game to say the least! April 21st cannot come soon enough :)

+ Gorvi on April 10th, 2015 at 8:43 am said:

Really can’t wait for this. :)

+ GENETICIDE on April 10th, 2015 at 8:45 am said:

That pic should be on a shirt. Would be 1000x better than the crap on the store now. Anyway, limited physical release….make it happen.

+ MrBendel on April 10th, 2015 at 8:56 am said:

Is Kratos going to be a playable character?

+ KazeEternal on April 10th, 2015 at 8:59 am said:

Is this cross buy? Been waiting years to play this on my Vita and would love to hop freely to my TV and back again.

+ Firelogic on April 10th, 2015 at 8:59 am said:

Another day 1 purchase for me! There have been so many great games during the Spring Fever event!

+ ossiecastro5 on April 10th, 2015 at 9:28 am said:

Turning up great! Can’t wait!

+ RUSHROYALE on April 10th, 2015 at 9:33 am said:

@8 The prices have already been posted (Feb. 26, 2015) in the “Spring Fever 2015” article.

Shovel Knight will be $14.99 (Plus Price: $13.49)

+ DZORMAGEN on April 10th, 2015 at 9:40 am said:

I hope there is a specific trophy for beating 8-Bit Kratos. I also hope there will be more 8-Bit PlayStation characters added to the game.

+ plaztiksyke on April 10th, 2015 at 9:53 am said:

I backed the game on Kickstarter, and am extremely pleased to see the game come to every PlayStation platform that I own. I’m a huge fan of WayForward’s games (A Boy and His Blob, DuckTales, etc) and I definitely feel that magic in Shovel Knight.

I remember that an option got added to choose between a male or female Knight at the beginning of the game, which is AWESOME. Given the God of War history of ‘romance’ mini-games, will there be an option to have light-hearted romance with Kratos?

I’m looking forward to your next game!

+ ElektroDragon on April 10th, 2015 at 10:07 am said:

Someone please tell me this game is easier to play than Rogue Legacy? I think Rogue Legacy is harder than Bloodborne at this point.

+ Welmosca on April 10th, 2015 at 10:11 am said:

Damn I watched the trailer of Shovel Knight some days ago and I saw Kratos on it and I was like “was that Kra…?” lol had to rewind it.
Man what a fantastic job you guys did bringing Kratos into the world of Shovel Knight…Kratos is looking great in 8-bit,plus the 8-bit version of the GoW theme,his animations ha those gifs are awesome…man I know this ain’t the meaning of it but I may call this a true fan-service.
Also glad someone finally noticed Santa Monica is one of the best studios in the world(most people are blind to that fact).

I hardly buy PSN games on launch but this one is looking very tempting,I feel like I have a duty to support you guys lol.

+ madmanwithabox12 on April 10th, 2015 at 10:15 am said:

This game BELONGS on Vita. Can’t wait. (o_o)_b

Would have been awesome to get MediEvil’s Sir Daniel Fortesque in the game. Ah well, maybe in the future? =P

+ boxmyth on April 10th, 2015 at 10:26 am said:

Loved Shovel Knight on (unnamed non-Sony platform). Will gladly pick it up again on any and all Sony platforms.

+ Burley on April 10th, 2015 at 10:46 am said:

Definitely picking this up on the Vita.

+ trecemaneras on April 10th, 2015 at 10:56 am said:

I’ve heard so many great things about this game, and I’m very happy that it’s coming to the vita! I promise to buy it, JUST as soon as you put in the promised gender swap option! I wish you lots of luck on your psn launch!

+ Folkenio on April 10th, 2015 at 11:18 am said:

I’m actually waiting for this!!! I couldn’t play it when it was first released, and since then, crossed my fingers for this port. Good thing the PS3 is still getting some care after all.

It’s definitively a must-buy!!

+ cusman on April 10th, 2015 at 11:49 am said:

I would respect Shovel Knight on PS more if it were offering itself on its own merits instead of trying to attract Sony fans by pimping out Kratos. I thought pimping out established mascots in every which game was a Nintendo fanboy need so they could give other new games a chance?

Whats next for Kratos? The daytime TV convention circuit?

+ RR99i on April 10th, 2015 at 11:55 am said:

Very excited to play Shovel Knight on the PlayStation Vita. Thanks for bring the game to the PlayStation platforms and I’m looking forward to April 21st! :)

+ bbswarrior_11 on April 10th, 2015 at 12:09 pm said:

I´m saving money I have in my wallet for when this comes out. Can´t wait!

+ dancingmind on April 10th, 2015 at 12:22 pm said:

Buying day 1 on vita. Looking forward to it!

+ plaztiksyke on April 10th, 2015 at 12:24 pm said:

wait, the gender swap option *still* isn’t in the game? they said they would add it during the Kickstarter campaign..

+ veryhoudini11 on April 10th, 2015 at 1:49 pm said:

I’m really excited for this and titan souls. I think it’s awesome that they added console exclusive bosses to the game. Kratos was a good choice, the only other character I could see being a good fit is Sir Daniel from MediEvil. Spring fever had some great indie titles come to the ps consoles. This one especially since its like a mash up of some of my favorite NES games growing up.

@17 They messed up on the titan souls price but didn’t correct it until after I saw Steam had a different price and I asked the one of the devs on twitter about it, who told me it was a typo on Sony’s part. After that and posting the corrected price on the blog it was later fixed on that post.

+ death_nation100 on April 10th, 2015 at 2:03 pm said:

I too almost forgot about the release date. The game was ok however . It didn’t feel like a Mega Man game at all.

+ Tjoeb123 on April 10th, 2015 at 6:23 pm said:

“First off, we’ll confirm that Shovel Knight engages the God of War in Mortal Kombat!!”

Soo…..Shovel Knight is coming to Mortal Kombat X? I kid, I kid, I wanted to point out the pun somehow….

Either way, you wanna know how excited for the game I am? “WHY CAN’T I PREORDER IT YET?!?!” That’s how.

+ Gamerzlimited on April 10th, 2015 at 7:26 pm said:

The only people that would rate this low are stupid trolls. I feel bad for the Shovel Knight developers, they didn’t deserve this treatment and hate for no reason. I wish I knew who they are so I can punish them.

Also, love that Kratos is in the game. It would be even awesome if he was playable, but that’s a wish.

+ CDubyahS on April 10th, 2015 at 9:57 pm said:

Dumb PlayStation 4 flash player adobe acrobat upgrade begware

+ JanusDS on April 11th, 2015 at 7:00 am said:

@4 To me it looks like a mix of Mega Man, DuckTales, a little GnG and something like SMB3 with the map. And like you said it looks awesome for a retro fix! :D Glad I waited for the PS version, the fight with Kratos looks like it will be pretty fun.

+ MickaeL486 on April 11th, 2015 at 8:12 am said:

+ElektroDragon I was thinking the SAME THING. Rogue Legacy is a difficult game more so for its randomness. I’m sorry to say, I am not a fan of that game. But Shovel Knight, I believe, is more like a straight forward 8-bit game that takes timing, memory, and skill.
Kratos just signed the deal for me. I’m getting this game as soon as it launches.

+ JBLeh on April 11th, 2015 at 11:22 am said:

@23 You know it’s ok to say 3DS around here. Not all Sony fans are opposed to owning more than one console. Anyway, Shovel Knight is awesome no matter what platform it’s on.

+ cowmamba on April 11th, 2015 at 11:26 am said:

Loving the battle tune. I’m super excited to finally play it on the Vita!

+ SlyCooperFan100 on April 11th, 2015 at 2:50 pm said:

To everyone asking, Shovel Knight is Cross-Buy on all three platforms. Buy it once on PS3, PS Vita, or PS4, and you’ll own it on all three of them! Cross-Save is implemented as well! http://yachtclubgames.com/2015/03/introducing-shovel-knight-plague-of-shadows-playstation-release-date-pax-east-plush/

+ vegatorr on April 12th, 2015 at 3:10 pm said:

what is the price pf the game?

+ Teh_AKOD on April 12th, 2015 at 3:30 pm said:

I’m buying this day one when it does comes out. Can’t wait for the Vita port to have portable Shovel Knight anywhere I go.

+ Gamerzlimited on April 13th, 2015 at 12:49 am said:

Since the trolling on the PS Blog won’t stop, I will copy and paste this hashtag on every single comment I post until it stops.

#StopPSBlogTrolls

If possible, make sure you copy and paste on your comment so I know you’re not one of them.

+ madness3030 on April 13th, 2015 at 9:54 am said:

One more week and my Vita will be the only thing that will get my attention.

+ baldmanclimbing on April 13th, 2015 at 7:37 pm said:

I beat this game on my pc but now i cant wait to beat it on my ps4

+ Knightfyre on April 18th, 2015 at 7:26 am said:

You can easily access your preferred power options.

+ jtothesino on April 19th, 2015 at 6:07 pm said:

Based on the community I may have to dive into this….