Apr 24

Introducing Submerged, a Serene Adventure on PS4

Ed Orman's Avatar Posted by on Apr 24, 2015 // Uppercut Games

G’day from Australia! I’m Ed Orman from Uppercut Games, and it gives me great pleasure to announce that our exploration-adventure Submerged will be coming to PS4 this year.

Submerged is a serene adventure set in a city that has mysteriously become flooded and overgrown. It follows the story of siblings Miku and Taku — the pair arrive in this strange place in a boat, and Miku has to carry her wounded brother Taku to shelter before she can start gathering the supplies she’ll need to nurse him back to health.

But to do that, she’ll have to find the supplies first! She will have to explore using her boat and telescope, locate the forgotten caches, then climb the crumbling buildings to retrieve them.

As she traverses the sunken metropolis, Miku starts to uncover the secrets of how this world came to be. And in turn, we begin to learn about Miku and Taku: what drove them to this mysterious city, where the only inhabitants appear to be malformed copies of the native sea-life?

Submerged is a game that we want players to immerse themselves in (no pun intended). We use Unreal Engine 4 to create the gorgeous graphics that you see above. We’ve enlisted BAFTA-Award Winner Jeff Van Dyck to provide the musical score. The gameplay is designed with no failure states: play at your own pace, safe in the knowledge that you’ll never die. It all adds up to create a relaxing, mysterious adventure that everyone can enjoy.

+ Bellalara on April 24th, 2015 at 7:05 am said:

Looks sweet! Can’t wait to hear more about this game coming to PS4

+ Roxous on April 24th, 2015 at 7:08 am said:

Looks pretty cool. On my list.

+ FeddeCampo on April 24th, 2015 at 7:11 am said:

I already shared my love for this game back at GDC but I gotta say, this trailer it’s even greater and makes me glad to have it on PS4 soon :)
Excellent work Ed and the team, you rock!

+ Hayades on April 24th, 2015 at 7:12 am said:

Can’t get enough of these types of games so I will no doubt be getting it. Will there be a platinum trophy?

+ cimerians on April 24th, 2015 at 7:16 am said:

Love adventure games. Will support this and buy it.

+ Gorvi on April 24th, 2015 at 7:18 am said:

So is it an adventure game in the traditional sense where you’re exploring the environment trying to overcome obstacles? Is there combat? I’m hoping not. It looks good so far, from this and the gameplay videos that are out there. I’m looking forward to it! :)

+ yowzagabowza on April 24th, 2015 at 7:22 am said:

I hated that trailer since nothing happens. Gameplay woulda been better. Gameplay is always better.
That said, it may be a good game. I’m a little interested. At least it’s not an 8 bit random generated rogue like.

+ siriusbee on April 24th, 2015 at 7:26 am said:

Looks pretty good. But will failure states be available as purchasable DLC? ;)

+ RawWilson1 on April 24th, 2015 at 7:31 am said:

Looks different. Will the characters have a voice in this game?

+ moog on April 24th, 2015 at 8:01 am said:

No in game footage is suspicious. Didn’t anyone notice the texture pop when this video was made?

+ IDsAreForWimps on April 24th, 2015 at 8:19 am said:

Holy crap, that’s a lot of pop-in. I hope they fix that by the time it’s released.

+ L337-D4D on April 24th, 2015 at 8:45 am said:

Concept sounds survival meets exploring.
I do hope that trailer was PS3. If it popped like that on PS4, look for help on tweaking those graphical coding.
I will say it looks promising from the description and what was behind the trailer.

I look forward to more information and game play video by E3. Otherwise it may be forgotten and/or overlooked after with all the hype from E3.

+ AriesSiren on April 24th, 2015 at 8:47 am said:

Looks wonderful. Looking forward to it. I love Games like these

+ Oni-Legion on April 24th, 2015 at 9:08 am said:

Kudos to Uppercut…this looks awesome. Will certainly be a Day 1 purchase for me. The art style looks awesome and I like the sound of no fail states. I like my fair share of challenging games, but it’s sometimes nice to just explore a world in peace.

+ KazeEternal on April 24th, 2015 at 9:31 am said:

Wish we could like posts and get notifications about games we take interest in. I really don’t want to forget about this title as it looks great.

+ POEman553 on April 24th, 2015 at 9:53 am said:

Looks like ICO meets Enslaved. Color me impressed.

+ SpyDudeFX on April 24th, 2015 at 10:17 am said:

Looks beautiful, can’t wait for more info. And hope it has a great soundtrack.

+ Dangisuckatgamin on April 24th, 2015 at 10:19 am said:

Looks appealing, will keep my eyes on this.

+ boomstickbhg on April 24th, 2015 at 10:37 am said:

Flooded cities and underwater games are probably my biggest turn off in video games and to some extent movies.

This does look like an interesting game for those who don’t have issues with floods.

It does look pretty/well made.

+ Shadowbhiemes on April 24th, 2015 at 10:39 am said:

That was an awful lot of pop-in.

+ snakesmullet on April 24th, 2015 at 10:41 am said:

Wow! Environment and style are amazing! I’m immediately interested, you have my support.

+ Droogie4Ever on April 24th, 2015 at 10:43 am said:

Can’t wait to play this – it looks great. Day one purchase for me. Thank you Uppercut – I hope we see it soon!

+ EgyptsKittyAngel on April 24th, 2015 at 10:50 am said:

Looks promising. Going on my want list for sure. Can’t wait to hear more and I’ll be waiting to hear its release date

+ OnTheBus666 on April 24th, 2015 at 10:50 am said:

Do I get to play as Kevin Costner if I preorder?

+ Corn-Pillow on April 24th, 2015 at 11:02 am said:

I can see Sony making a big deal about this game at E3. Its great seeing a game that doesn’t have a white male protagonist. I hope the game play is more exploration than random puzzle solving.

+ zingakun on April 24th, 2015 at 11:45 am said:

Added to my “to play” list!

This is the kind of game I like to play while taking a break from dark games like Bloodborne. A video with some gameplay would be awesome as well.

Cheers from Brazil!

+ SureBigBuster on April 24th, 2015 at 11:55 am said:

Wow looks very promising. Have to keep this on my radar!

+ Seluhir on April 24th, 2015 at 1:28 pm said:

Looks pretty… and it looks like it is third person, which is even better.

You’ve got my interest :)

+ Astroking112 on April 24th, 2015 at 4:26 pm said:

Will we be heading underwater as well?

Will the pop-in from this trailer be fixed? I’d rather not have those darker shadows at all than see them pop in and out.

+ FreshRevenge on April 24th, 2015 at 4:53 pm said:

Reminded me of the movie UnderWorld for a moment. Looks very energetics with the colors. I wonder if there will be night times where you would have to traverse in the dark. But with almost the city flooded. I can see it being really dark since no electricity would be available.

Will keep my eye on the development of the game for sure. I hope you guys can show off more.

+ ColonelOCorn on April 24th, 2015 at 5:17 pm said:

Hello Ed – thank you for sharing Submerged with us.
My first comment is I’m glad for something different. Not another post-apocalyptic zombie-infested shoot-em-up. I read to the bottom and noticed no fail states, which is fun – especially if it is a puzzle game that my kids and I can play. (and no Clickers) ;)

If it’s just various puzzles with water level and flotation and swimming and fishing hey that might be fun.

I feel the need to sympathize with whomever mentioned drowning. I’m kind of claustrophobic, so my first thought was “Oh crap not something like White Squall with someone banging on the glass.” YUCK

It reminds me of the I Am Legend movie just without the zombies and water instead of a virus.

If it’s meant to be more lighthearted maybe show that in the next trailer – this one feels like the characters are basically hopeless.

(Pop-in was noticeable too just FYI)

+ FreshRevenge on April 24th, 2015 at 5:36 pm said:

For those who are talking about pop-ins have to reminded that these video are uploaded to Youtube and basically the quality of the game visuals may get distorted.

+ PanTheMan16 on April 24th, 2015 at 5:48 pm said:

Nice trailer. The music is reminiscent of Dear Esther. It’s nice to have a simple, non-stressful game to get lost in sometimes. I look forward to learning more about Submerged.

+ Wozman23 on April 24th, 2015 at 6:03 pm said:

Looks beautiful. Like Trip from Enslaved had a younger sister.

+ VinsanityV21 on April 24th, 2015 at 9:08 pm said:

Awesome! I WAS SO PISSED TO see this trotted out by Microsoft for the XBone some time ago under their horribly titled “ID@Xbox” banner; like any indies see half the success on Xbone that they do platforms like the Playstation or Steam or something. I thought it was exclusive then! I’m thrilled to hear that this is going to come to PS4! It’s going to fit in right at home on the Playstation, alongside titles like Journey, Papo y Yo, and hopefully future quality titles like Toren and Rime. I love games like this! And this looks absolutely beautiful!

+ VinsanityV21 on April 24th, 2015 at 9:20 pm said:

For anyone interested, they showed off the build at PAX Aus. You can see gameplay of it on Youtube like in this video here:

Definitely going to be a great adventure platformer (^-^)

+ AizawaYuuichi on April 24th, 2015 at 11:47 pm said:

My gf and I just took turns playing through Never Alone and we both really enjoyed it. This looks like another gem that we can both appreciate. Looking forward to more info and a release date.
Keep up the good work, Uppercut!

PS: I like the “no fail states” concept. Means no dreadfully long loading screens like some other recent releases, hehe.

+ Ravenous74 on April 25th, 2015 at 5:54 am said:

Looks really good. I love adventure games with a great story…will definitely be checking this one out.

+ xPutryx on April 25th, 2015 at 12:51 pm said:

Im still waiting for a game that is similar to beyond two souls or heavy rain. Overall, this game looks quite nice